Next Laptop recommendation.

Katie Chalmers

Stalker
Katie Chalmers
Heya.
I am looking to get what we in the car world would call a “beater”.

I already have a gaming rig for hunting but I feel that a lot of CPU hours and Watts are wasted on a lot of the less intensive tasks.

For when I spend my time doing long crafting runs, auction tarting, spamming calytrade or having a flurry on the sweating fields, I want something that is cheap to run, cheap to wear out and highly portable. The level of portability where the girlfriend won’t mind it perched atop the bedside table during a Netflix excursion.

So far Entropia has ran “good enough” on every office potato I’ve tried it on, so I don’t think the bar is too high. Still, I don’t want to be disappointed with a dud purchase.

I’ve looked at the Asus laptop L210 for its ridiculously cheap price and the GPD micro PC 6 inch for its insane portability. (Might be too portable lol)
Would Entropia run on these “well enough”, and or there a better alternative that suits my needs.
I’m looking for
-Cheap
-Portable
-Energy efficient
anything else I’m happy to compromise on.

Ta.

Make sure to get the same screen size - my pc and laptop are set to 1080p - geez I wonder how many people play this in 4k on a 6 ft screen lol?

It would be nice to know what actually slows the performance on low-end specs. Is it the 4GB that is the bottleneck on Win10 when moving around and does an SSD make a difference when in game?
There is a difference between idle and action from about 10W to 20W in my case - no graphics card there obviously, just onboard with an 13-6100U.
What is the energy consumption of your gaming rig, either while hunting or just crafting?
If anyone knows, what is the consumption of gaming laptops these days, and are they easier to get into idle or just chugging along depending upon on-screen action, such as "just crafting" mode?

Social activities are more demanding than hunting, by a very long mile. Clothes, make-up, thousands of texture combinations, poorly optimized buildings etc (Maybe the new RDI to be more demanding? Saw some polished graphics and effects in screenshots).

Zen 3 ryzen mobile are unbeatable at this moment for low wattage and high performance. Comes with Vega graphics which are faster than intel HD.

Here is the smallest, the Ryzen 5600H, faster than the core I9 10th gen:

Here is the high end cpu, The Ryzen 5900 HX:

Last edited:
Nice laptop but does seem a bit on the high end in terms of price. Looking to spend around 3000 PED.
The ones I found of that model are over double that, unless of course I’m looking at the wrong thing, haha.

Last edited:
It would be nice to know what actually slows the performance on low-end specs. Is it the 4GB that is the bottleneck on Win10 when moving around and does an SSD make a difference when in game?
There is a difference between idle and action from about 10W to 20W in my case - no graphics card there obviously, just onboard with an 13-6100U.
What is the energy consumption of your gaming rig, either while hunting or just crafting?
If anyone knows, what is the consumption of gaming laptops these days, and are they easier to get into idle or just chugging along depending upon on-screen action, such as "just crafting" mode?
HDD speed actually made a huge difference for me.

I have a ryzen 5900x, Suprim3090, 64Gb 4000Hz ram and still noticed some stuttering while streaming. Task manager showed it was my hdd running at 100% while everything else was barely running at 10. Moved the Entropia install to my nvme and smooth sailing ever since

Thanks addz.
Is there anybody out there on let's say a laptop with 8GB ram and an SSD, but only onboard graphics and managing pretty low wattage while playing in low or medium mode? I like reasonable smoothness, but don't need super graphics.
The mushroom instance on NI has given me SERIOUS lag, but I dunno if the Molochs(?) will be the same. I'm thinking of something less potatoey, but probably not what most would consider game spec. Anybody also got approximately that? :)

Here is a link to the laptop that I use to play the game. Take it for what you want but for me this runs things smoothly except when my internet starts acting up (routing problem to MA servers, not hardware).

Price went up since I bought it end of 2019 but something similar specs should be more than enough for you.

that's better than what I play on. I got to say 250 gb SD is NOT enough. but the rest looks just fine. hook it to a normal montitor too to beat the small screen when you dont need to travel.

that's better than what I play on. I got to say 250 gb SD is NOT enough. but the rest looks just fine. hook it to a normal montitor too to beat the small screen when you dont need to travel.
Only thing i use it for is some web browsing and EU so the 256 gig is plenty for me. Sometimes wish I had a bit more ram in it tho.

Is that amazon link showing you 250 gig ssd? Strange, it says 512 ssd for me. Dif stats for different 'people' off the same link?!
256 gig would be fine for me too in theory, but how fast does Win destroy small ssd write-cycle specs?

Is that amazon link showing you 250 gig ssd? Strange, it says 512 ssd for me. Dif stats for different 'people' off the same link?!
256 gig would be fine for me too in theory, but how fast does Win destroy small ssd write-cycle specs?
You're right. It does show the 512 gig now. Thought all i got in it when i bought mine was a 256 but I dont remember for sure now and I really don't put much on it so not a concern for me.

You need to search for specific CPUs or integrated GPUs. Integrated GPUs are used across CPUs generations in market segments. Find something with optimal integras like:
UHD 620
HD 630
UHD 630
Cheapest and oldest option will be i3-8130u cpu. I don't know newer ones, Intel is a big mess.

15" 4k screen, 2070 gpu, i7, 256gb+ sdd.

all set.

I recommend choosing one of the notebooks of the type described in this article. Seemingly good parameters at a very reasonable price. I would take this option for myself, because there is no free money to buy an expensive laptop.

I guess all recommendations are on hold due to the announced move to UE5.
I'm still looking to fly as low as possible = minimums

I currently use shadow it is a cloud gaming computer it's a gaming computer it works pretty good something to look in something to look into $30 a month I can run on high settings on I can run on high settings on anything even on my android phone

Sry was using text to talk it repeated somethings for some reason

Buy 4k Resolution Laptop with i9 processor. 4K is Amazing as I have a 4K supported TV and watch OOT on it. It will be great for Entropia as it will support 4k Graphics sometime in future with Unreal Engine 5

Buy 4k Resolution Laptop with i9 processor. 4K is Amazing as I have a 4K supported TV and watch OOT on it. It will be great for Entropia as it will support 4k Graphics sometime in future with Unreal Engine 5
Probably wont get it for a few hundred bucks, which was my stipulation. Any way i bought some cheap little thing for a few hundred and it does the job. All I wanted is to run it just good enough, not big FPS in high graphics on big screens.

Probably wont get it for a few hundred bucks, which was my stipulation. Any way i bought some cheap little thing for a few hundred and it does the job. All I wanted is to run it just good enough, not big FPS in high graphics on big screens.
Linux based Laptop was a better option for you. After 2026 I consider purchasing Linux Laptop to learn it. It can also run Entropia with a enumulator.

Check out shadow boost very affordable and will turn a old laptop into high powered gaming machine

old lappy with HDD but with nice i7 and maybe discreet graphics card. even if an older one. Then replace HDD with SSD and you will probably have a nice beater as you call it. biggest issue with a beater will be the battery most likely.

Gaming wise i wuld stick to PC
And wait like 1 or 2 years untill crypto mining geht's smacked to the abyss (because they rise gpu price sky high)

I dont know how this works out for laptops

Back