On Being a Society Leader

Oracle

Elite
Society
Scorpio
Oracle Kev FountofWisdom
This will strike a chord with many fellow Society Leaders I'm sure!

When I started out in this great virtual universe of ours I
had no idea what lay ahead of me. It just looked a fun game
where one could shoot a few monsters and work one's way up
through the various skills.

But on becoming a society leader - phew! Almost more responsibilities
and issues to deal with than in real life!

From mundane issues starting with deciding upon a society name and the
values and aims of that society. On to recruitment interviews,
setting society rules, moral standards and having to discipline members
who transgress them.

Organising society team hunts - getting the hunt strategies right, asking for feedback from fellow members, trying to encourage fellow members and motivate those who lose a little interest. This might include a little financial assistance to those short of peds <ouch>

Negotiating alliances with other societies and which to go hostile towards.

Deciding upon society goals and how to achieve them (eg. how on Earth are we going to win any land in land grab?).

Members leaving for various reasons and having to replace them. More interviews - review of society's command structure - questioning 'Why did I lose these good people?'. Negotiating to get these people back with you. Discussions with society members 'What went wrong?'

Setting up a society website and forum.

Having to deal with serious issues such as theft, lying, scamming, betrayal and racism! Not being afraid to discipline such behaviours harshly but fairly. Setting up security systems to hopefully prevent future scams/thefts.

But despite all these headaches the job does have some rewards. I am fortunate enough to have some really great guys under my command and sincerely hope they stay around for a long time to come. Just the odd word of praise or thanks or display of trust and loyalty makes it all worthwhile :)

And I hope this post doesn't put anyone off having a go at forming a society...it is a very worthwhile experience, just go for it and
the very best of luck.

Running a society takes an incredible amount of skill, time and tenacity to see it succeed. My hat goes off to those that undertake such a task :)

- Deathifier

that would explain i guess why i've been playing since Dec 2003 and my socs been around since Feb 2004 and my highest skill is 875 Longblade.(although my skills are pretty rounded)

I run a society and you're talking bollocks. You don't have to do anything. In fact I don't even bother getting members - |I just re-invent the society every 7 days. Why fucking bother? A lot of effort for fuck all return as far as i can tell.

Yup its hard work being a soc leader, but I think it reaps many rewards, especially if you put together a great team of people who work well together and are loyal to the ideals of the society.

I think I would have quit PE long ago if I didn't start Sterling & Moss, at least it wouldn't have been as much fun. And a lot of thanks go to the members for making SMA such a great place to be in. Sure we're all mainly part time members these days, but we have laughs, we help each other out in terms, as well as discussing ideas and tactics in the game.

Sure I'm a cantankerous old bastard sometimes who can be pretty one tracked sometimes when it comes to PE and Business :tongue2: If it wasn't for the SMA members to remind me that PE is about fun, then I would have burnt out long ago.

Well I guess I have a great soc then :girl:
We are a very small group that call ourselves The Jaded Crown, and mature. So I do not have to deal with any kind of crap, EVER.
And in our soc my two advisors have just as much say as I do ;)

But- yes, in larger soc's or soc's that have very specific goals (ie to be the best in skills, to sell x number of ped via trades every day, etc etc) of course being a soc leader can be a daunting task.

Right about now, I'd just be happy to have another active member so I can talk to someone in soc chat :(

Shade said:
Right about now, I'd just be happy to have another active member so I can talk to someone in soc chat :(

Maybe its time to leave it then :D

Shade said:

You can always join us! we usually have someone on at all times(thanks to members across the world). I was in a really decent soc once, had lots of high level players and the like. But they were all in a diff timezone and were never on. It sucks. I know what you mean! :)

Suicide

In the soc Im in everyone is kind of the leader. Leader doesent have more power then any other of the members in our soc. But someone has to be it.

Shiver said:
I run a society and you're talking bollocks. You don't have to do anything. In fact I don't even bother getting members - |I just re-invent the society every 7 days. Why fucking bother? A lot of effort for fuck all return as far as i can tell.

oh dear :D

Shiver said:

then why post :dunce:

i agree. i started a new soc with specific goals... and finding people interested in those goals is tough.

it seems to be hard to take a society from being just a social gathering, to being more focused. people you like to play with, and get along with, may not play as much as you, or have the same ideas and goals. or worse, they are in a different time zone, so you rarely see them. real life obligations, losing interest in the game... things like this stand in the way so much.

so yes, the large, well organized, well equipped socs.... im totally jealous. as time goes on id like to attract more 'hardcore' gamers like myself, but i guess that will come in time.

i think running a well organized soc is just as difficult as mentoring... which i find, for the most part, to be thankless. these two positions in PE really take someone with focus and ambition... i know i wont be mentoring anyone else any time soon, but i will be trying to get my soc more focused and organized.

Shiver said:

That's not a society , that's only a tag to have below your name :p

Oracle said:
This will strike a chord with many fellow Society Leaders I'm sure!

When I started out in this great virtual universe of ours I
had no idea what lay ahead of me. It just looked a fun game
where one could shoot a few monsters and work one's way up
through the various skills.

But on becoming a society leader - phew! Almost more responsibilities
and issues to deal with than in real life!

From mundane issues starting with deciding upon a society name and the
values and aims of that society. On to recruitment interviews,
setting society rules, moral standards and having to discipline members
who transgress them.

Organising society team hunts - getting the hunt strategies right, asking for feedback from fellow members, trying to encourage fellow members and motivate those who lose a little interest. This might include a little financial assistance to those short of peds <ouch>

Negotiating alliances with other societies and which to go hostile towards.

Deciding upon society goals and how to achieve them (eg. how on Earth are we going to win any land in land grab?).

Members leaving for various reasons and having to replace them. More interviews - review of society's command structure - questioning 'Why did I lose these good people?'. Negotiating to get these people back with you. Discussions with society members 'What went wrong?'

Setting up a society website and forum.

Having to deal with serious issues such as theft, lying, scamming, betrayal and racism! Not being afraid to discipline such behaviours harshly but fairly. Setting up security systems to hopefully prevent future scams/thefts.

But despite all these headaches the job does have some rewards. I am fortunate enough to have some really great guys under my command and sincerely hope they stay around for a long time to come. Just the odd word of praise or thanks or display of trust and loyalty makes it all worthwhile :)

And I hope this post doesn't put anyone off having a go at forming a society...it is a very worthwhile experience, just go for it and
the very best of luck.
Nicely said... I run a soc. that I founded in Jan.2004 I think, and it has grown to the point where we reached the membercount top. We had our ups and downs, but the real problem is good ppl quitting PE... so our soc is on the virge of self destruction... so I think that soon I'll disband it... Any nice socs need a former soc leader, as member? :poke:

Knuckles said:
Maybe its time to leave it then :D

I ended up President :) - I kinda want to try to rebuild it, if I can. It's going to take some active recruiting, which I haven't been able to do recently.

I'm the head and founder of a society that I'm quite happy with - besides the fact that many members seem to vanish into thin air. We usually have between five and ten active members - not a big number, but it's hard to recruit for my society. You can't just conjure Silvertongues out of nowehere.

Alexs said:
Nicely said... I run a soc. that I founded in Jan.2004 I think, and it has grown to the point where we reached the membercount top. We had our ups and downs, but the real problem is good ppl quitting PE... so our soc is on the virge of self destruction... so I think that soon I'll disband it... Any nice socs need a former soc leader, as member? :poke:

If you make that decision, I extend my invitation to you to join The Galt Group. Maybe between the two of us we could build it up again.

Somewhat amusing aside - we have one former member named "Aleks"...

Shade said:
If you make that decision, I extend my invitation to you to join The Galt Group. Maybe between the two of us we could build it up again.

Somewhat amusing aside - we have one former member named "Aleks"...

Thanks for the invite :thumbup: I'l consider it. As for Aleks, I think I knew him back when we were noobs and both sweated like mad near PA :laugh:

I kinda like the Freelance thingie...if i wanna teamhunt or exchange some info/discuss tactics and/or items..there s always the Friendlist.. :D

Was in several societies but they didnt seem to add something to the game..for different reasons.

But i am holding all options open ..maybe there's sum soc around that would like to welcome an semi-noob miner/hunter..

Then again i like to mine more and thats kind of a solo profession..
Guess i am not much of a social person..ahh well..

my 10 eurocents..
Peez..
Ciao a tutti.. :cool:

Shiver said:

....then they arent societies, and you arent a leader, now are you?
why bother? :confused: :confused: :confused:

*edit* ok thats all good now.... sry smokey

Last edited:
Zasz said:
....then they arent societies, and you arent a leader, now are you?
why bother? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Youre talking to me..?

Because if you are i dont get it..lemme read that again.. :confused:

Smoking Holland said:
Youre talking to me..?

Because if you are i dont get it..lemme read that again.. :confused:

no he was quoting who ever it was that descided that socs wer easy to rn and only was in 1 for a tag under his name lol cheers devang for the good wording :D

I 'm in RED LEGION 1 year and I love it, if there is some thing to ask all our soc voting. I think its very good way, all ppl have something to say. ( wow write it again :D )

I can totally agree with what your saying, even tho Im not leader in my soc I have functioned as it. I do the recruiting mostly, contact the members via mail or msn if they are inactive, send updates to our website, and deal with any problems that might encounter in the society. Aswell as me and Gnasher have taken care of the hangar we have.
And it is alot of work, specially if your society is open for recruiting. Ours isnt, and still there is a few now and then that ask if they can join.

Rep for you!

Yea lots of ppl want join and they don't care about that they should talk with me first, they just giving aplication and than I 'm finding them on Polish forums :p

I have very recently started a new society (Tower of Light) we have recrutied a few members already who seem to genuinly nice people and Iam enjoying the society chat already and we have only been soc for 3 days.

Onw of the good things about being a soceity leader in my limited knowlage seems to be that you are the one to select who you want in your society so you can decide what your society turns into by the people that are in it.

Michyblueyes said:
I have very recently started a new society (Tower of Light) we have recrutied a few members already who seem to genuinly nice people and Iam enjoying the society chat already and we have only been soc for 3 days.

Onw of the good things about being a soceity leader in my limited knowlage seems to be that you are the one to select who you want in your society so you can decide what your society turns into by the people that are in it.
Hey man, It's a great honour for me that eaven after the time that you left RoTraders, you still represent us on the forum, but as I see you started your own soc it would be great for u if u changed the soc name to Tower of Light from User CP :silly2:
I wish u good in building ur soc :thumbup:

Thanks for the advice!

Thanks for all your feedback guys and gals: it has been very (mostly) helpful! :)

I can now see clearly what my problem is. Instead of delegating various tasks to the many competent and trustworthy members of my society I take everything on myself.

This is basically because I'm a power-crazed/control freak and a ruthless dictator. However I do see the wisdom in what you're saying and I will try my best to move towards a more democratic way of running things, if only for my own good :)

Back