Online Gaming Gets Vocal with Ericsson - Reuters (press release)

News Bot

Guardian

Online Gaming Gets Vocal with Ericsson
[SIZE=-1]Reuters (press release)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Players of Entropia, an online universe created by Sweden-based online gaming company Mindark, can now speak to each other live with high-quality voice services while gaming, thanks to an IMS solution from Ericsson (NASDAQ: ERIC). ...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Online Gaming Gets Vocal with Ericsson[SIZE=-1]CisionWire (press release)[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]all 5 news articles [/SIZE]

More...

News feed provided by Google News.

continue to block, eod :laugh:

I must admit that this proximity voice chat is really, really a nice thing. And so far it works pretty seamless!

I must admit that this proximity voice chat is really, really a nice thing. And so far it works pretty seamless!

Aye, used it first time yday with no lagg and perfect quality! Was like standing next to the person IRL (altho his headset made it be a bit low) :yay:

Only problem so far is that you can't hear eachother when sitting in a helicopter since it makes too much noise :silly2:

I paid for 30 days....when ever I login with my headset on the little microphone icon has a red line through it. Everything says I am ready to go but doesn't work? Not sure what I am doing wrong?

I paid for 30 days....when ever I login with my headset on the little microphone icon has a red line through it. Everything says I am ready to go but doesn't work? Not sure what I am doing wrong?

1) Have you tried pressing the mic icon to remove the red line?
2) Have you made sure that your computer accepts the microphone you are using (out of the game)?

Online Gam(bl)ing Gets Vocal with Ericsson - Reuters (press release)

I use teamspeak and wasn't interested in proximity chat until a soc m8 told me to try it..

It was a blast at twin ring, very funny:D

Had the same problem... Went into Options -> Voice Chat

Enabled Proximity Chat, and switched "Press to speak" OFF.

Not sure which of these did the trick, but one of them did... I just have to cover my mouth when I cough... :)

Woo Hoo MA has finally added as a paid extra feature something that almost every other MMO has had for years for free. This is exciting news indeed!!

Woo Hoo MA has finally added as a paid extra feature something that almost every other MMO has had for years for free. This is exciting news indeed!!
I dont quite get it.. it is true that only other mmoprg I have played ever is wow and last time I was there definitely was not this local voip. Unless it has changed since last update which is.. some time ago. I really need to get out some more, if mmo's have got this so long. .

I usually agree with you, but on this one, no.
Over the years I've played a LOT of MMO's to see if any fits me and I've never seen anything like proximity voice chat.

I usually agree with you, but on this one, no.
Over the years I've played a LOT of MMO's to see if any fits me and I've never seen anything like proximity voice chat.

Eve has it since 2006 (although there is no proximity feature, because you are sitting in a space ship, alone) you can also talk using their social network website since half a year...wihtout any additional cost. :girl:
Proximity chat works as long as there are no idiots around and as soon as the game gets a little bigger then you can be sure that there are plenty of idiots around. It just works in EU because there are so few participants and it will stop working as soon as more then 200 ppl will play EU at the same time.

Eve has it since 2006 (although there is no proximity feature, because you are sitting in a space ship, alone) you can also talk using their social network website since half a year...wihtout any additional cost. :girl:
Proximity chat works as long as there are no idiots around and as soon as the game gets a little bigger then you can be sure that there are plenty of idiots around. It just works in EU because there are so few participants and it will stop working as soon as more then 200 ppl will play EU at the same time.

Eve doesn't have proximity chat, nor have I seen it in any other game before, so this is in no way something that has been done before like Centech said.
There are countless of games using voice chat systems, but never seen proximity chat before.

Eve doesn't have proximity chat, nor have I seen it in any other game before, so this is in no way something that has been done before like Centech said.
There are countless of games using voice chat systems, but never seen proximity chat before.

Just image that in Twin Peaks are not the usual 20 ppl online but 1000 ppl (as in other MMORPGs main trade hubs). Proximity chat wouldn't work because no server could handle the load, and that's why other MMORPGs got rid of it/never implemented it. They are too big for it.
Another reason why it works in EU is, because it's paid, and only grown ups are paying for it I guess ;-)

Last edited:
Had the same problem... Went into Options -> Voice Chat

Enabled Proximity Chat, and switched "Press to speak" OFF.

Not sure which of these did the trick, but one of them did... I just have to cover my mouth when I cough... :)
Page 34 in the icon book is where you find the "push to talk" button, now just map that as any other icon and you can cough freely :)

Hello there,

As far as games with proximity chat goes, Second Life has it.

If MA can increase the radius of sound to maybe the inner radar circle, 50 m or so, then I think it would be a great improvement.

Either way, I love it.

:cool:

Just image that in Twin Peaks are not the usual 20 ppl online but 1000 ppl (as in other MMORPGs main trade hubs). Proximity chat wouldn't work because no server could handle the load, and that's why other MMORPGs got rid of it/never implemented it. They are too big for it.
Another reason why it works in EU is, because it's paid, and only grown ups are paying for it I guess ;-)

Proximity chat is free tho, its only the team option that costs...

Also, they probably can do it partially because it is hosted and operated by Ericsson who are a real phone company and so has much better infrastructure for this stuff.

The good thing with the Ericsson/MA solution is that the chat goes through Ericssion networks and servers, not the servers of MA is i understand it.

The good thing with the Ericsson/MA solution is that the chat goes through Ericssion networks and servers, not the servers of MA is i understand it.

The limit is not technical but cutural. As soon as 10 ppl start talking at the time our brain will get confused. When 100ppl talk at the same time our brain is stressed... If the player base will grow proximity chat will be very annoying one day. With a very small playerbase it is a nice feature, though.

Here's to a small playerbase then :beerchug:

proximity chat? More like spam chat. Where do they get these bright ideas?

I mean team chat I can understand, that's why it's a paid service I guess :eyecrazy: :woot:

Prox chat is pretty cool, the range is Perfect to limit the amount of cross talk and if u don't like what someone is saying. Just turn your back on them, hey. Like real life. LOL.
Team chat is great too although when using it, prox chat should be auto-disabled, watch for embarrassing moments when people locally overhear part or all of a team conversation. ;)

I'm usually not on the "MA" band wagon, but the grumblers have it wrong on this one, great addition MA.

Back