Over Amping Mayhem Amps

moondog

Stalker
Society
Stockholm Syndrome
Charley Moondog 1969
I was reading a thread about the manufacture of the ML-35 adjusted and there was a comment that you could add a Mayhem B Amplifier Alpha to it. As far as I understand this amp is too big for the gun. I have heard other players talking about over amping, which I would not normally do, but I am curious about peoples thoughts about this in view of the fact that the amps are quite cheap, last a long time and have life steal. I would consider a small loss of ped, due to overamping to obtain the life steel which would help with mobs that do damage over a long distance

About overamping i only tested once for months with strong claw + mod 8 trauma for higher eff and my tt return was fine. But short term i used some beta and i didn't notice any change

Last edited:
I had the same question recently and when I asked the person what they meant when they told me about it, the answer was that they were trying to lower the dpp to in effect pay more for the mob and thus get a higher HOF when they hit a nice multiplier, without necessarily effecting their efficiency and thus tt return over all.

I didnt test it, I dont know if thats true or if thats how it works but that was their theory and it made a certain amount of sense to me. Also there was something about increased skill gains there.

You should always overamp mayhem amps. Look closer at the decay and ammo burn. All mayhem amps have same burn and decay, so the more dmg you can deal the higher your DPP will be. And since alpha-gamma typically cost roughly the same you aren’t losing anything by overamping…

You should always overamp mayhem amps. Look closer at the decay and ammo burn. All mayhem amps have same burn and decay, so the more dmg you can deal the higher your DPP will be. And since alpha-gamma typically cost roughly the same you aren’t losing anything by overamping…
Can you elaborate and explain this more? I dont understand.

Can you elaborate and explain this more? I dont understand.
yes me to, i would like to understand this better

From my tests, tt loot is determined by cost to kill - so overamping a small amount will just mean u get a little bit more tt loot. I tested adj ml-35 with mayhem alpha and was happy with the results, once I was ok with overamping I bought an imp evil and ran with that for many 100kped spent and was happy with the results.

" To best achieve Optimal Loot:

• Be sure to have the Hit Ability and Damage profession requirements maxed (10.0/10.0) on the weapon your avatar is using.
  • Avoid over-amping (using a weapon amplifier that adds more than 50% of the maximum damage of the weapon to which it is equipped).
  • Minimize healing costs and the need to interrupt damage dealing to heal. "
Source: https://www.entropiauniverse.com/bulletin/buzz/2017/06/26/Developer-Notes--12---Loot-2.0-Follow-Up.xml
Optimal loot as in optimal loot composition. I call BS though unless you are really overamping crazy. Like using a delta amp on an opalo.

works great when shrapnel is worth more than the oil

Seems there are 2 different effects here tho from slither and anonimity.

Anonimity seems to say that since they cost the same over amping or not, you lose nothing. Not sure why that would result in more dpp unless ma does not consider "Real" dmg or "real" pec and instead, in their calculation, ignores the 50% over amping dmg restriction for some reason. If I understand his opinion correctly, that seems highly speculative. To the point that im almost certain i do not understand what he means to say.

Slithers thing makes more sense to me, if you overamp, ma doesnt care for calculating your tt return. You may be effected by what ever "dpp effects loot composition" means but overamping in itself means only that you spend 2 peds instead of 1 to kill the mob but in either case you get 92% tt return. (See what i did there?) That does make a certain amount of sense to me. Now if that amp would also change the displayed eff of your weapon, you might actually be better off overamping? Since that "directly effects tt return"?

Not sure. Imma shut up now and lurk and learn.

Cheers

The loot algorythm ignores MU%.
By MA definitions and declarations you only get ammo burn and TT decay back in loot at your individual return rate.

Mayhem Amps have a 10 PED TT value, hence you only get close to 10 PED decay returned in loot.
The 50 to 200+ PED MU% do not get returned by the loot algorythm. They are lost and void.

So you should be sure that MA defined losing of 50-200 PED MU% per M-Amp is covered by more than hearsay or a singular, momentary loot upswing.

As Mystique pointed out all mayhem amps for each category have the same ammo burn and decay. So even if it triggers the overamp message it doesnt really impact your actual cost to kill to use a larger mayhem amp and even if the smallest amp is to big for your gun, its dpp is far better then any of the alternatives allowing you to 'waste' a little.
EDIT: I should add that around 880%+ for mayhem amps armatrix amps become competitive.

Just take a look at the total cost per use for each mayhem amp on wiki… they all burn the same ammo the only diff between alpha-delta is the dmg done. So delta has the best DPP and DPS, but you also typically pay more in MU. But if for example you have a laser gun that has 47 minimum damage, a beta amp will trigger the “over amp message” however you don’t really lose anything because it costs the exact same decay and ammo burn as an alpha amp you just get 8 more effective dmg.

Sorry one more thing:

So john black knight, youre saying if i wanted to amp a gun, with a mayhem amp, that wouldnt quite take the smallest mayhem amp, it wouldnt matter if i bought a bigger one either, because it would cost the same tt wise, when shooting the gun, and also the dpp would be the same, so i should always just buy what ever mayhem amp was cheapest mu wise? That makes alot of sense, thank you!

ok , it makes sense now, right then lets slap an alpha amp on the ml-35 and go hunt some robots :cool:

I just get the lowest markup mayhem amp, regardless of the damage output or maximum that fits on my gun. This is best because they all have the exact same decay and ammo burn. (y)

Back