Overamping and Expected Returns

kingjehu

Prowler
Society
Skillin Villans
Jehu Da King
Just curious to get some of the communities' thoughts and theories on "overamping".

Let's just define it for everyone's sake. Overamping is attaching an amp to a weapon that has higher than half of the max damage for that weapon.
For example using a Mayhem L Alpha Amp at (39) Damage on a weapon that has a max damage of say 75. Half of 75 is 37.5, this would result in overamping by 1.5 points of damage.
So you are technically spending amp decay and ammo for the extra 1.5 damage but not receiving it in DPS output.
Someone correct this math if I did it wrong please!
With the Mayhem (L) amps widely available and offering a nice bonus perk of life steal, this topic has certainly become more common now.

Let's focus on 'slight' over amping in the range of 2-5 points of damage.

1. Do we know or expect that the added decay from the overamp is returned in loot even though the DPS is not realized?

2. Is the expectation that the boost in efficiency from the (L) amp is fully calculated in return and the impact is on the loss in DPP?

Hit me with some of that... :wise:

**Loot Composition (Shrapnel + Other Loot)**

1. If your DPP is good, you'll get more of the other loot and less shrapnel.
2. On the flip side, a bad DPP means more shrapnel and less of the other stuff.
3. When your DPP is terrible (like adding mayhem delta on a TT pistol), you're stuck with just shrapnel.

Considering all this, even if my setup slightly overamps (let's say by 1 to 5 damage), it shouldn't mess up the loot mix too much.

Sometimes, tweaking things a bit and going a tad overamp with the available options can actually give better DPP compared to not overamping with a different amp.

Take my bp110 (99 max damage), for instance. Using a ul amp with 43 damage avoids overamping, but the DPP is lower than overamping with mayhem L beta (50 damage).

And when it comes to the returns, I think loot depends on cost, so overamping shouldn't make a big difference there.

1-5 points is a big difference depending on the weapons original damage interval.
And when it comes to the returns, I think loot depends on cost, so overamping shouldn't make a big difference there.
Yeah this exactly. 95% off use cases shouldnt matter with overamping. No one is noticing a difference between 3.15 and 3.14 dpp.

If they say they are, they are lying.

Based on tests, the efficiency given as a result of overamping is “counted” all the same.
The full weapon cost is also factored in to the TT return.
Put that sucker on and get shooting.

Back