PA: You are running low on memory - no I'm not!!!

Wistrel

Elite
Society
Entropia Pioneers
Wistrel (Wisty) Chianti
OK so a bit of moan and no I havn't tried support, new drivers, new OS or new life but I'm not an idiot and can do simple maths. I know damn well what support will say too.

Since tuesday this new PA is great but I keep getting the windows error "you do not have enough memory". Tonight MA have "fixed something" so now instead of just crashing out I get a nice in game warning, a few mins before the crash, warning me I am running low on memory and might want to consider lowering the avatar detail levels.

The thing is, I'm not! I'm watching the memory use on my spare screen and its only using around 2gb or so of the 3gb available. Windows XP etc uses about 400mb without EU and EU seems to range from 500mb to 1.6gb.

I'm posting now cause I'm worried this nice little in game message is MA's idea of "a solution" and that no further work is going to be done on this. More memory won't help! (since I'm not even using all there is).

So yeh... rant over really. Does anyone else feel my pain? Any solutions that don't involve in game lies?

I was chatting to a friend from Crytek about all this the other night and he said that XP has a "restriction" of 2gb per process. Thing is, the Entropia process still hasn't made it as high as 2GB yet so I'm not sure that will help. I've found turning off the swap file helps a lot (in many ways actually!) but its still not an "ultimate solution" so to speak.

While I'm ranting, why on earth does the game need to use so much memory anyhow just because there are a lot of avatars about? I can't even see most of them (except the radar dots) is it really necessary to have (presumably) what each of them are doing/wearing, saved in memory all the time? Even so, does it really take so much to store this info...

What would be really nice is if someone technical from MA could post on this stuff, explain the challenges as it were... but I know thats not going to happen... sigh...

Wistrel

Not enough info provided in order for a more helpful answer; however:
1. Turning off swap is a mistake; some apps are written to take swap into consideration. Maybe it doesn find it, and you get that message. Do you have only one HDD?
2. What OS are we talking about? Name and exact version.
3. What Video Card do you have, with how much VRAM? It may be complaining about VRAM.

Try to find a free and well know RAM defragger (like MemInfo for example) and see if it makes a difference. Also, after a CTD or whatever, check your Windows logs for clues (if there are any)

Video memory

It is clearly a problem MA needs to address. We all had to buy new computers to use CryEngine2. Now there is the RAM problem when their servers get too many players on at once. So what does MA want us to do? I am not ready to buy a new PC every year...my wife would kill me.
So the ball is in MAs court, please fix this issue with the server load, lag and why it is creating havoc with everyones RAM.

1) I'm fairly certain that this message refers to video ram, not system ram

2) Still does not excuse the massive lag, loading times, and general graphical mess since about VU 10.3

3) "System running out of ram" is code for "Our server is melting"

PS - In early versions of VU 10, all the graphics were cached locally so only new objects had to load - now it seems that everything is streamed from the EU servers, so in an area w/ many avatars or objects...LAAAG. I won't even mention loot lag...oh, I just did.

Didn´t receive a out of memory message yet.

4 Gig Ram
2 Gig Vram

But still discover crashes, and freeze.
Not that big issue with lag (great bandwith) except loots. Think the loot lag is server lag, not clientsided.
Something is seriously wrong coded.

PS - In early versions of VU 10, all the graphics were cached locally so only new objects had to load - now it seems that everything is streamed from the EU servers, so in an area w/ many avatars or objects...LAAAG. I won't even mention loot lag...oh, I just did.

and this happens not only in areas with many avatars. have you tried to use televators in a mall ??? even with zero avatars around, the effect of floating in space, seeing the landscape through the walls, while the whole mall is slowly built under your feet, is absolutely crap. it gives an horrible impression about the graphical capabilities of the game.

hint: if you're showing the game to a friend, try to avoid malls... or you'll lose another participant before even trying the game :laugh:

Not enough info provided in order for a more helpful answer; however:
1. Turning off swap is a mistake; some apps are written to take swap into consideration. Maybe it doesn find it, and you get that message. Do you have only one HDD?
2. What OS are we talking about? Name and exact version.
3. What Video Card do you have, with how much VRAM? It may be complaining about VRAM.

Try to find a free and well know RAM defragger (like MemInfo for example) and see if it makes a difference. Also, after a CTD or whatever, check your Windows logs for clues (if there are any)

1. Turning off the swap file was something I tried AFTER the problems started on tuesday. Its so far made performance much better but it is hard to tell as regards game stability improving cause obviously the number of avatars online at PA is dropping off day by day so indeed this issue may just resolve itself after a while... all the more reason for MA to try and fix it "while the iron is hot" as it were

2. Windows XP pro 32bit sp2

3. Yeh video ram as opposed to main ram did occur to me actually... Theres 800mb or something like that, its a geforce 260gtx. I just checked windows logs... no related errors.

I was thinking about this 2gig limit thing apparently you can edit a boot.ini file and allow more ram per process...

Incidentally I did notice in whatever vu it was where they upped the radar limit on avatars you could see them but not really all their clothes properly (eg master coats ) untill you get closer or zoom in. So there is at least some optimisation going on... dunno, feels like something really clever needs to be done. I do realise its different from most games though where you can fully optimise for just a few character combinations/appearances. In Entropia everything is different.

Wistrel

and this happens not only in areas with many avatars. have you tried to use televators in a mall ??? even with zero avatars around, the effect of floating in space, seeing the landscape through the walls, while the whole mall is slowly built under your feet, is absolutely crap. it gives an horrible impression about the graphical capabilities of the game.

hint: if you're showing the game to a friend, try to avoid malls... or you'll lose another participant before even trying the game :laugh:

coupla vu's back (I forget who's) loading performance when jumping to new areas got a lot better but the sacrifice seemed to be "indoor" locations like SC's not being rendered till you enter them.

The other day I was in an SC and the interior/floor seemed to completely refuse to load...

Didn´t receive a out of memory message yet.

4 Gig Ram
2 Gig Vram

But still discover crashes, and freeze.
Not that big issue with lag (great bandwith) except loots. Think the loot lag is server lag, not clientsided.
Something is seriously wrong coded.

Same here i Crashe and freeze:scratch2:

Core i7 930 (2,80 GHz)
6 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
Windows 7 pro 64
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 480 1536MB

Thank you for the answer.

1. Enable 3 GB of RAM on XP 32bit:
Edit boot.ini file to:
Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="xxxxxx" /3GB
where "xxxxxx" is your full Windows Version name.
Here is the full article on Micro$oft's site.

2. If you feel "brave", you can try overclocking your Video Card; note that this is done through NVidia's own tools... no additional software needed it; make sure you have nTune or System Tools with ESA Support.
Here is a complete step by step guide with screenshots and everything: Overclocking The GeForce GTX 260.

Also, if you want to go this way, I suggest taking very small steps when changing both core bus and memory bus;
- move the sliders one step at the time;
- reboot
- use your system for a while (EU included); make sure it's stable
- move up and change settings again
- repeat above until your system becomes unstable
- move back to the previous settings.

3. At this point I do believe this is related to your Video Card; as such, you may:
- get a new card :D
- try lowering your EU graphic settings

EU it is what is; it's pretty poorly written when it comes down to performance unfortunately. For example, on my system, my RAM usage is hovering around 4.5 GB when running EU, without any additional apps running... other than a browser.

I hope this helps; please keep us posted if you were able to make it run better.

Last edited:
EU it is what is; it's pretty poorly written when it comes down to performance unfortunately. For example, on my system, my RAM usage is hovering around 4.5 GB when running EU, without any additional apps running... other than a browser.

Something else is running for sure, because I'm using only about 2GB when EU is running, about 1GB of that is EU (system RAM).

i didnt get such message on old GFX card, after downgrade i am getting it in ost places. I didnt changed RAM so i think thats video memory too

Well I was getting the dreaded low on memory then I upgraded to a x64 OS and went to 4Gb or ram, no other hardware changes.

This might also throw some light on the issue

Memory Limits for Windows Releases

If the first table is correct for xp then a 32bit process is limited to 2Gb.

I just checked the login screen and thats a 32bit process :scratch2: on a 64bit machine so we have the same limitation and we don't have a 64bit runtime as Crysis has.

Last edited:

And it's not just the malls, pretty much anywhere you revive, you sit and bouncy bouncy bouncy while the world draws SLOWLY around you, with the most useful stuff like terminals and the damn floor being drawn last.

i only have one thing to say = i miss the old days

didnt look as nice but it worked

fixed it by turning down some of the graphics don't see any diffrence except if you compare shadows don't use any more or less RAM% then i did b4 turning them down and i don't crash (also if i couldn't play on VH or H anymore i'd still love the game =) )

I have a program (using Win XP) to increase the 2 GB per process limit per .exe manually.

Funny thing is when I checked the EU .exe it already had it enabled. Still it doesnt use nearly all of my ram before kicking me out (I still have like 60% open when it crashes me, and my vid card has 1 gig).

So I do not think that this is "my fault" rather then MA's fault with faulty programming at some point!

I have a program (using Win XP) to increase the 2 GB per process limit per .exe manually.

Funny thing is when I checked the EU .exe it already had it enabled. Still it doesnt use nearly all of my ram before kicking me out (I still have like 60% open when it crashes me, and my vid card has 1 gig).

So I do not think that this is "my fault" rather then MA's fault with faulty programming at some point!

Oh really. What program is that?

Nope Not Me!.. But maybe archive the old stuff maybe might help? ;)

Back