Help: PC upgrade advice?

Killahbee

Marauder
Society
illuminox
Killahbee Killer Bee Killahbee
So, i'm having pretty severe lag with these events where a lot of people are. Last purger event for example. What should I upgrade to remove the lag? I know it's on my side because others on discord had 0 issues where I had a huuuuge FPS drop.

Intel Core i7-6700
Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H
Kingston HyperX Fury HX421C14FBK2/16
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB
Corsair RM550x

Is it CPU that's causing this? GPU?? Something else? Idea's are welcome :)

Are you running an SSD or HDD, I found the switch to an SSD drive made a huge difference at time like that where you're trying to load a heap of different texture data all at once.

Running on a SSD. I think it's my CPU that's often very busy... I'll do some testing this evening

It's the CPU, Cry Engine 2 is a single-threaded engine (well... actually 2, one for graphics and one for sound...). You are running a CPU from 2015 ish? An i7 12700 or i5 12600 would be the perfect upgrade.

If you decide to buy mobo+cpu look into upgrading your SSD also, grab an nvme drive (those plug directly into the motherboard with no cables).

Or wait 5 years for the UE5 upgrade, lmao.

Last edited:
I have a ryzen 7 3700x system that started lagging.. which I found to be odd.. turned out to be a wlan process (pc is on a wire, not wireless), that took up 60% of the CPU. For an 8 core/16 thread CPU that's a lot of resources. I couldn't get the system to end this process.. it kept kreeping back in. I renamed the exe and the problem was solved.
So before you upgrade anything, press control alt delete whenever you get lag spikes and make sure its not some well written Microsoft Windows program that's helping you out.
What also helps is to make sure nothing is running on autostart.. like steam or the epic game store, or that nice Windows feature, cortana

Lastly: try a custom windows 10 with all the crap out of it to get those extra fps, made by a nice aussie guy:

Last edited:
It's the CPU, Cry Engine 2 is a single-threaded engine (well... actually 2, one for graphics and one for sound...). You are running a CPU from 2015 ish? An i7 12700 or i5 12600 would be the perfect upgrade.

If you decide to buy mobo+cpu look into upgrading your SSD also, grab an nvme drive (those plug directly into the motherboard with no cables).

Or wait 5 years for the UE5 upgrade, lmao.

Yeah that's the big problem with CE2; in a world where 8-core gaming machines are becoming ever more common, it makes virtually no difference whatsoever on a game that was built using CE2. So for a CE2 game, the faster your clock speed, the better the FPS will be, just be careful not to fry your CPU.

Im running with more or less same specs, and dont really have any issues. Id make sure there is nothing else going on before upgrading. Have you checked other background processes? Make sure your cpu is not overheating etc.

Back