Physx Engine Status

Bertha Bot

Entropia News Fetcher
09 Oct 2006

Physx Engine Status

There are still several problems remaining with the new physics engine from Ageia. As we have explained in previous communications, for example via Marco on the Entropia Forum, the new physics engine was implemented to achieve realistic physics in the Entropia Universe, which in turn will allow a range of exciting features and dynamic objects in the future.

A number of the problems that occured after VU 8.6 have been fixed by the updates that followed. Those problems that remain cannot unfortunately be resolved solely by us, as they must be fixed in conjunction with Ageia. Naturally this is the highest priority and the optimization work will continue until we have reached the desired result.

http://www.entropiauniverse.com/en/rich/5377.html

Translation:
Our programmers and testers are a sack of shit so we will blame our bad code and other problems on Ageia while we got chance.

SIBUK said:
Translation:
Our programmers and testers are a sack of shit so we will blame our bad code and other problems on Ageia while we got chance.

LOL :wise:
so true

Translation 2:

We bought into a piece of software technology, failed to understand the full implications of it's integration into our code, decided that since we paid for it we would release it onto the community even though we knew it was all buggy and problematic, have done everything we can but fundamental problems remain, so you've all gotta wait until Ageia can tell us why their software has screwed up our coding.

/Translation 2

*tsk*tsk* MA... shoulda gone with the Havoc engine!!!

Thanks for the update Bertha, but I think I have to agree with Dem's translation

Thx forr update :)

I have to ask, why not take away the Physx untill you can implement it properly?

Its making it very hard to continue enjoying this game.

my translation:

"Mindark cant fix it, looks like Ageia cant say what the problem and also looks like Ageia cant fix it without months of work" so expect nothing better than it is for the forseable future. FUCKING lame very fucking lame!!! :rolleyes: who the hell implements a physics system into a production enviroment without the proper skills to make it work? and why the hell not remove it completely until they can get it working?

"delete /EU-codebase/*Ageia*.* :laugh:

Sonya Heart said:
I have to ask, why not take away the Physx untill you can implement it properly?

Its making it very hard to continue enjoying this game.

Kygon said:
and why the hell not remove it completely until they can get it working?

I guess either MA see a rollback as too complicated and problematic or they have already invested too much development time in areas that require the engine to be in place.

Personally if they feel unhappy about a rollback then I don't want them to try it! It could be one of those situations where you should be careful what you ask for..

Anyway, I am going to try to be patient and pray that MA has learned some valuable lessons from all of this.

Yep, MA definitely needs to remove this Aegia Code, because we are losing money because of it, if we decide to hunt, mine or craft and all the shitty lag and crappy bugs it has caused.

Until they can find a fix, I can see a lot of people not playing until it gets resolved.

MA, do yourselves a favour and remove the code before you have no one left playing the game.
All these bugs have gotten worse for me, and causing me to lose more money due to the crappy lag, missed shots, bad movement etc etc.
I know hardly anyone from my Soc has been on for the past 2-3 weeks now and with this bit of news, they are likely to not come back at all until it is fixed, same as me.

demoniac said:
Anyway, I am going to try to be patient and pray that MA has learned some valuable lessons from all of this.

That would be when Pigs fly. :rolleyes:

I respect these translations better than I do MA:s official statement about this.

Yea hunting is def. a nono nowadays. i do some skilling in other areas instead while they patch the patched patches. :laugh:

/Lisa the retired hunter.

demoniac said:
I guess either MA see a rollback as too complicated and problematic or they have already invested too much development time in areas that require the engine to be in place.

Personally if they feel unhappy about a rollback then I don't want them to try it! It could be one of those situations where you should be careful what you ask for..

yea I would hate to be able to run about and hunt on ameth and I suppose I would hate the fact I could leave CP and 'run' around on the planet hunting the mods I want to hunt not the mobs that are closest to each other so I minimise movement.

ANOTHER translation

"we cant fix it, we have help to fix it, but sadly the next VU is just round the corner so players need to be aware that things WILL be getting worse before they get better"

some of us are sick and tired trying to battle through bugs to play a game that is providing a lower and lower quality of entertainment week by week wiht little or a slight faint light at the end of the tunnel that keeps getting dimmer each time we get a "we cant fix it, we love you customers honestly" bullshit message! (lack of . intentional!!!)

Kygon in total is worth about the same as a brand new Lotus Elise, I find myself wondering if a Lotus Elise would provide me a higher level of entertainment and fun than EU :rolleyes:

As much as the whole arrangement sucks at least there is some comms from Mindark.

Let just hope those involved get a move on now and fix this now that MA have pointed the finger.

Nice reference to "the Entropia Forum" btw

kygon said:
Kygon in total is worth about the same as a brand new Lotus Elise, I find myself wondering if a Lotus Elise would provide me a higher level of entertainment and fun than EU :rolleyes:
for sure ^^

at least MA try to begin to communicate, and that s the main positive point since a long time (i guess depositers realize the kind of beta crap in which they send their $$........... )

thx for the update Bertha, yes hunting at TI is pain in the ass still. EUdoria seems most of the times lagfree.

I have a good idea of how al the ppl who invested in land areas feel about MA's screw up. Same with ppl that used to play in amethera (that includes me).

Naifas

Naifas Anaconda said:
I have a good idea of how al the ppl who invested in land areas feel about MA's screw up. Same with ppl that used to play in amethera (that includes me).

Naifas

For me most of Amethera was ok (ish) TI was just unbarable. I feel sorry for Deathifier atm myself.

FM Party was intersting though, Avi's icescating and dancing at the same time :)

The thing is, with TI it didnt just feel like physx is seems like serious lag. The last FM party had loads of people and the server stayed more or less on green. This one and it was red for most of the time.

kygon said:
yea I would hate to be able to run about and hunt on ameth and I suppose I would hate the fact I could leave CP and 'run' around on the planet hunting the mods I want to hunt not the mobs that are closest to each other so I minimise movement.

You know I hadn't really thought about it, but since 8.6 that is exactly how I have adapted my gameplay. I don't go to Amethera, because there are so many areas where the lag is too bad for me to play. And on Eudoria I seem to have changed my hunting to only hunt 2 mob areas - East of argus on Maffs and Bibos and South of Orthos for molisk, atrax and faux. It was only reading your post Kygon that I realised that in both those areas I can hunt without having to move too much. Hunting is okay then - but it gets a little tedious after a while.

DarkPelf said:
for sure ^^

at least MA try to begin to communicate, and that s the main positive point since a long time (i guess depositers realize the kind of beta crap in which they send their $$........... )

yea at least thats something lol

im just frustrated that I cannot hunt the mobs I want to due to rubberbanding and screwed up unplayable lag SOOO MANY WEEKS after inital VU, sooner or later I'm gonna give up the fight, that time seems closer and closer every week that EUs quality of play remains so poor (I'm sure I cant be alone!)

I cant but totally agree with the above "translations"

What i wonder the most is how royally pissed of deathifier has to be. He cant have been doing a lot of cash since this shite VU.

Since GOLD MA havent learnt a thing is seems.. or well one thing they learnt.. dont publish a VU on a friday.. but i think that is about all MA has learnt.

And for those saying MA seems to be trying to communicate.. i say bull.. communication is a two way dialog and not someone from MA commin in here once a week maybe and blurting out some info. Communication is done on a more or less daily basis and until MA does communicate with us in a proper manner i will continue to "bash" them cause this is starting to royally piss me off aswell..

demoniac said:

She's right ..

Rollback is a absolute nightmare, and is the last resort. Rolling back would mean the skips month of their roadmap, time & money lost. Besides this none of us has any ideas what a rollback would mean. They properly code & change on multiple api (program game layers) so rolling back PhysX might take us serveral month back. I would'nt wonder is that would be like ½ year. So extra lag is a much lesser nightmare. Some people chips out yeah, but a couple of people leaving does'nt matter, when the road-map is preserved.

The very best thing they could do, is to keep the code , but disable as much as possible, until they sort of the problems.

Last edited:
kygon said:
yea at least thats something lol

im just frustrated that I cannot hunt the mobs I want to due to rubberbanding and screwed up unplayable lag SOOO MANY WEEKS after inital VU, sooner or later I'm gonna give up the fight, that time seems closer and closer every week that EUs quality of play remains so poor (I'm sure I cant be alone!)
You're not alone ! The time to make a pause until they sorted out their problem with the PhysX engine is drawing very near... I mainly crafted components lately due to poor gameplay while hunting but I'm becoming bored of crafting... I tried to hunt a little this week end but the lag and rubber-banding were just awful even though I did some nice glob saturday, it's not enough to make me continue hunting whith this kind of gameplay.

This news just tell me that it'll take some more times before we can find again the level of gameplay we had before the VU8.6 :(

its obvious that a rollback cannot be done (technically or politically!)

in the past BIG BUGs have come with something positive to focus on. BUT this physics update has given us nothing but trouble, if this is how things turn when its not even being used I dred to think how much things will suck when its actually doing something!

and its good that at least MA are talking to us and not ignoring the problem as they have done in the past this is the ONLY reason I'm still here and giving them a little more time to sort things.

Last edited:
kygon said:

ANOTHER translation

"we cant fix it, we have help to fix it, but sadly the next VU is just round the corner so players need to be aware that things WILL be getting worse before they get better"

some of us are sick and tired trying to battle through bugs to play a game that is providing a lower and lower quality of entertainment week by week wiht little or a slight faint light at the end of the tunnel that keeps getting dimmer each time we get a "we cant fix it, we love you customers honestly" bullshit message! (lack of . intentional!!!)

get the lotus - they are cool :)

Since I joined the game, there was always "exciting features to come". I would like other thing, for a change. I would like game to work properly and leave us to play it at least several months before trying other revolutionary changes.

I don't care on more features, I don't care on realistic, I don't care on exciting and other things, I just want to play the game, ffs!

Is ridiculous to have such problems after beta.

Reactions: P-J
Bertha Bot said:
09 Oct 2006

Physx Engine Status

There are still several problems remaining with the new physics engine from Ageia. As we have explained in previous communications, for example via Marco on the Entropia Forum, the new physics engine was implemented to achieve realistic physics in the Entropia Universe, which in turn will allow a range of exciting features and dynamic objects in the future.

A number of the problems that occured after VU 8.6 have been fixed by the updates that followed. Those problems that remain cannot unfortunately be resolved solely by us, as they must be fixed in conjunction with Ageia. Naturally this is the highest priority and the optimization work will continue until we have reached the desired result.

http://www.entropiauniverse.com/en/rich/5377.html

Thanks Bertha. The automated news bot posts more than Marco. This is the time when we need communication from MA and they are nowhere to be found. Last time Marco posted was Sept 28.

thx for the info bertha

may i suggest that in future vu's MA give us a color coded warning, for example

red vu - new engine or system, may take a long time for system to stabilise, we extect to be tweaking for a month orso to bed the new systems in
orange vu - gameplay will be affected for a lil while, not percieved to be too long
green vu - additional items and content, this should not affect the gameplay

ok it wont help with the techie probs that are about now, but it will give the community a idea how much the game will be screwed, and when we have a idea in advance we can adapt to it (or download wow:p lol)

on a sidenote, while i understand that aegis is needed to help tweak the system to being "playable" again, MA have gotta be carefull they are not seen as "blaming" aegs for the probs, as this wuld create a lil backlash i think.

gl on getting the game back to normal

I can see a lot of your points and I agree to an extent, but we have to cut MA a bit of slack here. They have admitted that they were not able to implement it correctly, and that they are turning to the engine developers for help. I'm sure the developers are much more experienced and skilled and will be able to fix the problem, if not make it much more manageable.

Who knows, maybe they can even give MA some pointers on how to improve the EU code if they dig into it a bit. This may cost MA more money, but it seems like they are doing the right thing in admitting defeat to the problems. I'm sure that the developer staff is humbled now, and we need to support them until this is resolved. Since EU is somewhat playable now we should continue playing and depositing as needed, so that MA can smoothly go through with this and we can all move on.

As much as it may frustrate you, support MA and protect your investment, it will pay off in the long run!

Back