Planets and MA's finances... thoughts?

Sarubaboon

Alpha
Society
NBK Entrepreneurs
So finally we are seeing the planets coming online... now we are into the 3rd one, and while they are still not comparable to calypso, they should slowly attract some player base...

this should have a beneficial effect on MA's finances, probably meaning they will be able to hire more people, and bring more content to the game, which would in turn attract more players.

Dangers? well, you can see a few, some of the new planets could mess up things and generate a lot of bad publicity, which would impact also on calypso?.

Also, is there any evidence yet that RT has brought new players to the game?. Meaning, if before we had 100 new players a month (for example), all going to FP, do they now go 80 to FP and 20 to RT?. or are we getting 120 new players?. I would love to know what other people think about this and how it will affect MA and FP finances.

As long as there is no economy on a planet, I fail to see how a new player can survive.
So IMO, they don't bring in any new players & IF they do, those will be forced to go to calypso to sell/buy their stuff.
Really think new players love to pay 40 ped tpfee (80 if they wonna head back)for that?

& yes? I'll say it out loud.. It's where MA seems to favor fpc for having the longest running planet.

Dangers? well, you can see a few, some of the new planets could mess up things and generate a lot of bad publicity, which would impact also on calypso?.

I see a big danger here and I still don#t understand, why MA doesn't see the risk: if I don't know about EU today and I start on RT... I might deposit 10,-€ and then leave Entropia forever... if someone says: visit another planet, I will not have the PEDs to go there to "just look"... and I will not create a new ava, because the universe seems to be boring and ugly and misleading.

So a new player on Calypso is impressed these days, a new player on any other player will HARDLY become a depositer... so we lose them for the whole universe.

As I said: I don't understand, why MA let NI and RT do this :(

solution to many problems would be if they remove fee to move between planets (as RT officially advertised originally - still wonder if someone should not get them for false advertisement on that one)
rock2.jpg

and/or removal of the transport fees... Sorry hanger owners if your investment that costs you nothing to do to gain money is the problem, but it seems to me to be one of the big problems. If you were forced in to having to actually work for your free income as you had to in the old days, things might be a bit different. I'm not saying hangers are a bad thing or that they system itself is bad, but the way it's set up now is unfair to the entire community on some levels.

Next island might have similar problem...http://www.nextisland.com/about-next-island/
If you’d like to purchase upgrades and virtual goods, or if you’d like to sell your harvests and in-game creations, the exchange rate is fixed at 10 Ped to a dollar.

Last edited:
I see a big danger here and I still don#t understand, why MA doesn't see the risk: if I don't know about EU today and I start on RT... I might deposit 10,-€ and then leave Entropia forever... if someone says: visit another planet, I will not have the PEDs to go there to "just look"... and I will not create a new ava, because the universe seems to be boring and ugly and misleading.

So a new player on Calypso is impressed these days, a new player on any other player will HARDLY become a depositer... so we lose them for the whole universe.

As I said: I don't understand, why MA let NI and RT do this :(

I may have miss read your meaning but RT and NI don't charge the TP fee that is a mandate from MA? and the fee is a good think for the planet as would ND pay money to advertise RT when ann new players attacted could just use teh TP and move somewhere else for free?

As for new players in the last few weeks we have had loads of new players on RT and quite a few stayed. We have a group of people here who buy there loot (For a few % under MU to cover TP fee) and there sweat at a better price. The only issue is auction fee IMO as we are being punished having to pay a transport fee on all purchases?

look at RL if you order 10 thing from amazon for example do you pay 10x postage fees? no you pay once, that is how auction should work you buy any amount of items and pay 1 fee per day!

So finally we are seeing the planets coming online... now we are into the 3rd one, and while they are still not comparable to calypso, they should slowly attract some player base...

this should have a beneficial effect on MA's finances, probably meaning they will be able to hire more people, and bring more content to the game, which would in turn attract more players.

Don't forget that with new planet MA don't get as a big share of the deposites as before, because the new planet partners take a share of it. So the player base must grow much more than before to give MA the same amount of cash. But in the end it will benefit MA and i think we will see a big increase of players in 2011 when more planets gets online and start promoting their games.

MA gets ALL deposits. The money going to pp's is determined by how that ped is used once deposited in game. Half of decays and fees generated by in game economy goes to MA on the new Planets.

MA will control ALL economical controls thruout the universe. All stats for new gear is pre approved by MA so it can be integrated into the system. Planet partners are only responsible for content and the attraction of new players to fleece for MA.

Planet partners have no clue as to how the Economy works other then what graphical interfacing they wish to use to represent the models MA uses to operate the functioning part of the universe.

How fast an economy grows depends on the planet partners developing the necesities needed to grow. Once the PP's have developed what they want for say blueprints it is up to MA to code their stats and values then add them ino their econmical program.

By now it is obvious that a new planets MUST have 3 things to start the economy and make it grow. The lack of growth on RT's economy is due to a hole in this system. Just having hunting setup does not make an economy..just adding new minerals and ores does not make the economy. The addition of new BP's now will boost that economy but so few available at this time will not boost it fast enough to grow a viable market economy.

These three things MUST be in place at planet birth to have the fiscal economy established..The attraction and movement of players will be what determines the market economy which is the main problem RT faces right now. transport costs, and interplanetary travel costs hinder this growth on a massive scale.

If the governing bodies got together and decided less greed between them a viable econmical groth could be spurned much faster. In turn would produce more returns on that growth. Sadly no one seems to grasp this as they are all worried who will take what from each other.

Free range travel in this universe will be what mkes it survive. People will migrate o where they are happy no matter what blockades are put in their path. If a planet has a low population they need to work on what they offer to attract or keep new players. Currently MA / FPC is in self preservation mode thinking that forcing players to stay on Calypso with high prices they will keep what they have.

Trust me when something better comes along those people WILL leave no matter what. High prices for travel will just ensure there will be less chance they come back. I wonder how many will feel like me and want off Calypso simply so I only have to pay MA half my loss because of past treatment by them.

Reactions: Dab
Seems now i've actually had the WORST experience of returns of all my time here, the loot system is not designed to favour an increase of mobs and places according to it's current player base.... guess I should leave Calypso and goto a new planet but I refuse to pay the tp fee so I uninstalled the game instead..now i'm a happier person. :yay::yay:

Seems now i've actually had the WORST experience of returns of all my time here, the loot system is not designed to favour an increase of mobs and places according to it's current player base.... guess I should leave Calypso and goto a new planet but I refuse to pay the tp fee so I uninstalled the game instead..now i'm a happier person. :yay::yay:

2 points to make:

a) You'll be back

b) From personal experience and several soc mates, it does appear loot seems to be poor on Calypso at present, then again there was a 53k Gazz hit today so its not universal.

:xmas:

Its always been about risk in this game.. Right down to when the biggest purchase was our society getting one of the first hangars for 12k ped. The idea was what good is it if i cant go to it, use or let alone even see it. We still bought it and held on to it. Now people are complaining that we are getting free ped for having them. For so long they were underutilized and represented an investment in hopes and dreams. Think of it this way.. the game was in a state back then where someone actually didn't get a hangar because they couldn't bid because the game crashed every 30 minutes.

Investors have it so much better now. We have world record purchases. Visions of an ATH list we only dreamt of 5 - 7 years ago. New players come to this game with a bit of a handicap. Back when I started it was fresh and a chance to grow into something. We asked the same thing about MA back when they filed for bankruptcy, we all thought we were going down. People started pulling ped from the game(not like it was much). Back then we got "let in" on the inner workings of the game to build confidence in it. If it wasn't for those like myself and my society mates and the others that were the pioneers, you wouldn't even have a game to gripe about.

Financially the business model is sound. Its been somewhat monopolized by individuals but as the companies and governments get involved , your going to see a whole new level of involvement in this game.

Litigation - Imagine entities in the game capable of suing in game avatars for rights abuses, copyright infringement, indecency. People with names like bunny fu&*er wil be served with suits. People scamming will be sued in real life. Perhaps the next world record will be damages rewarded for a suit over virtual rights or property.

Tax concerns - Governments may start seeing EU as a tax shelter or the increase in incorporating virtual entities.

Politics- Anyone else remember the Vote terminals where we got to vote on what we wanted to see in PE? Politics (government) was one. Well now that we are starting to see a ripe situation for a federatin of planets in a galaxy why not have some sort of government? Start creating politics having eleced officials that control taxes on open lands , providing public services and welfare to our noobs. lol

War - Well what else can human beings do when they have EPeen envy.. start killing each other.. its just like real life. Planets will war with each other of resources, shipping rights, etc.

So, ok, here is MA strategy : expand by new planets offering their game model to partners that will share a part of risk/reward ?
But what is really new, except a different land ? Nothing.
You still have the same functions of the game which are basically translated in professions with skill system ; and there are only 3 professions : hunt, mine and craft. Since i joined , i have seen taming disappearing, sweating brought to near zero, moments of fun like "strange signals" and beacons disappear, and so on..
Vehicules are the only big creation that brought something really new and different. But they dont change the basics.
I dont care of new planets to do the same that i have at the moment, knowing that they will only bring more expenses that those i already have and that i judge too high at the moment.
Furthemore, in that kind of frame competition between planets to attract same players will only bring problems to solve for MA...

I may have miss read your meaning but RT and NI don't charge the TP fee that is a mandate from MA? and the fee is a good think for the planet as would ND pay money to advertise RT when ann new players attacted could just use teh TP and move somewhere else for free?
As for new players in the last few weeks we have had loads of new players on RT and quite a few stayed. We have a group of people here who buy there loot (For a few % under MU to cover TP fee) and there sweat at a better price. The only issue is auction fee IMO as we are being punished having to pay a transport fee on all purchases?

look at RL if you order 10 thing from amazon for example do you pay 10x postage fees? no you pay once, that is how auction should work you buy any amount of items and pay 1 fee per day!

you do know tps go both ways right?

Back