Question: Play smart..

Fjolla

Stalker
Society
Freelancer
Runar Fjolla Tvalfager
Some people say that u can profit by hunting smart, not above ur lvl and so on. I know a lot of people who profit in the long run with P4 on drones, P5 on argos and a lot of other combos.
What i wonder is, why do some avatars profit on the exact same action, with the same gear, same/less skills, while it's constant loss in both short and long run for others? Is it common to lose 500 ped for each 1000 ped ammo on drones with P4+a104, or 500 ped each 1000 ped ammo on argos with P5+a105 and so on? Im losing in 19 out of 20 trips on all mobs with all guns. (losing between 8-12k ped each month).

Another thing is about the lootable L gear.. i was camping Cersumons when they were frequently dropping HL 14 (L) (for others), i hunted them for a month and didn't get a single gun (I was hunting around 8h/day)

Same with Itumatrox, no HL 12 in a month of camping, 8+h each day, even though everyone around me got them constantly. Same with Formdion, it took me a little over 10k ped ammo before i got my first and, so far, only LR 59 (L) ever. While the people around me get atleast one per 500 or in worst case 1000 ped ammo.

When it comes to mining. Im lvl 33 prospector so i've been bombing some, no uber skills but atleast past mineral sense. I mine with the same tactic, same gear in same areas as some of my friends. They profit on mining with that tactic and gear and i keep losing constantly (same there, 19 out of 20 trips is big loss). Since lvl 26-27 prosp or something i've not dropped a single unamped bomb, all of them has been with OA103-105 and so far i've had 2 claims over 300 ped ever.

Is it smart for "some" pepole to hunt drones with P4+a104? Or is it not smart even though many of them profit in the long run? If it works for some people and not for others, doesn't that meen it's avatarbased? :scratch2:

Im at a six digit loss so far, even after i sell all my skills and gear, and i do most of my actions in this game the way that is generally known as "economic"..For 2 years i've tried to find a single action that can cut my losses down a little but nothing works (I can hunt small shit mobs with Opalo but i still lose 500 ped each 1000 ped ammo - ony thing it takes longer time to burn 1000 ped ammo with that)..

So, any thoughts?

Why do some people profit in both the short and the long run while other people, doing same activity, with same gear and skills keeps losing constantly both short and long term? If that is not avatarbased than what the hell is it?

I would need about 15-16 10k drones in a row now to recover my loss from -08 lol.

Over and out, keep ur eyes open for cheap evade/commando chips on auc ;)

u never know if the others were telling the truth :)

thats right, but you do see the globals and hofs.....
and the stuff they are selling on auc .......

To Fjolla, hope it turns really soon for you ..... would hate to see you leave compleatly ....... :(

S V ;)

People tell you bullxxx in order to make them look less bad depositing ?

I don't believe any of the combos you mentioned make the people profit...

Hehe. ;)

When you find a combo that works, why would you shout it on EF and risk that many people do the same stuff and ruin your own niche?

It a choice between being famous on EF and being rich in EU. :D

It really sounds selfish. :(

Last edited:
hehehehehehe
Tell me about it :D
I have friends ingame who simply cannot understand why I constantly loot worse than they do. Even if I hunt side by side with lower skilled friends with less eco weapons I have a worse return than they do.

I even made it to Safara's club!! :wtg:
see: https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/hunting/95906-who-me.html

I can only refer to the age old discussion in which I stand that there are 'blessed' avatars and there are 'cursed' avatars.
Guess in what category you (and I) prolly belong? :D

The one (or two) thing(s) that keeps me moving is that I firmly believe that one day... (even after 7 years play) I will hit a large loot!
That, and I like the game and I like to play!

this will sound stupid, but really economic playing is to spend max 100ped a day, or even better don't play everyday.That's hard to do, so i suggest
don't use mining amps for some time, i mean it.Send me ur results after a week,two.

GL Uni :smoke:

yep :) people might be misleading u :silly2: maybe they might suggest a seemingly "nice" combo to u but infact its pretty bad that u are actually feeding them the loot. i am innocent :girl:

Well i would say stop focussing on tt return and start looking at markup.

You mine with oa103-oa105, that is nice, but do you do it in an area that has an avarage markup return of at least 120%? (so an area without lyst or copper or .....) If you don't you're guaranteed a loss.

If you hunt drones/argo with your p5a, what armor and fap are you using? with an eco player the armor + fap decay is less then 2% of the total costs, how is yours?

And do you have the best a10x amp for your gun, to maximize eco?

And finally, you have to keep better track of your results. I'm willing to bet 2k peds that if you do a 1k ped run on small mobs with opalo you'll get back more then 50%.

This is a post where i don't mention how much of the 20k atrax was left after a month of hunting.

Strange thing i noticed in the 2x skill.... i did okay in team, but time and time again solo did horrendously.

When i had no ped... i hunted sparsely...i put in my 1kped a day hunt for i don't know how long...had to sell some useless skills chips as i refused to depo when only getting 0.66ped instead of 1.0 that i used to per dollar ...played other stuff...barely survived but got free skills...but fap costs, and armor costs eat a lot if u don't watch them. NOw I found mobs that work... and found methods that don't. Caught a bit of a break where for a few days formidon looted nice for me...and that was it in a month.... a few days ... but it's all i need sometimes

:dunno: found a couple of craft prints that owkred for me(and by "worked" I mean "didn't lose horribly and seemed to give some small return when hunting was horrible"), found a craft method that worked also...sometimes it's bad...but i don't have the patience to craft more and only use what i loot... all i can say for certain is textures don't work for me the same way plastic ruds prints do. I can post the ± since i bought sword if that interests... atm 80% return in a run counts as "good". 15kped losing every run (before even considering armor+fap decay) just isn't fun. I do amaze myself sometimes just how much i managed to hunt as much as i did with basically no ped :)

Ofc, if u believe some people, they'll tell you they get 500% return per run

I never hunt small on purpose... i have my minimum dps now... one time even was using weapons i looted then going back to p5a. Tried mulmun? Maybe you can hunt merp better than anyone else. Maybe your avi is a mob switcher, even if it's not in your nature. Maybe your avi likes to craft what he loots. maybe he likes to mine while hunting. I can't answer what your avi likes.

i always profit with s30 on snable-male youngs..... take it for what its worth...

i'll be a ped millionaire in at least 30 years... just in time to retire.

good luck!

(ohh and i'm joking.. it will really take 50 years)

EU is dynamic.

If things aren't working, maybe it's time to try something else. Perhaps not what someone else does, but coming up with your own thing. Having no luck at hunting or mining? Maybe you'd be a better crafter?

Terrible returns from hunting a particular mob? Maybe try a smaller or bigger gun. Try switching mobs from time to time. Hunt them at different times of the day. If the loot seems bad, take a break. Don't just keep going for another three hours hoping that big one is just around the corner.

I usually set a limit for myself. Take a small amount of ammo out with you, maybe enough to kill 50 of whatever mob you're after. After killing 50, you should have a good enough idea if it's dropping or not. If you get good returns, keep going. Returns sucked? Take a break, go do some real life stuff, come back in a few hours or even a day and see if things didn't improve.

Of course none of this is proven to work, just some things to think about... ;)

Well i would say stop focussing on tt return and start looking at markup.

You mine with oa103-oa105, that is nice, but do you do it in an area that has an avarage markup return of at least 120%? (so an area without lyst or copper or .....) If you don't you're guaranteed a loss.

If you hunt drones/argo with your p5a, what armor and fap are you using? with an eco player the armor + fap decay is less then 2% of the total costs, how is yours?

And do you have the best a10x amp for your gun, to maximize eco?

And finally, you have to keep better track of your results. I'm willing to bet 2k peds that if you do a 1k ped run on small mobs with opalo you'll get back more then 50%.

i mined i areas with 140% avg markup when i was mining seriously. with my tt return i would need at least 200% avg markup to break even. I hunt drones with P4+a104 which is the ultimate amp for that gun (well besides ancient but.. lol).. with my dodge and hp i don't fap at all when i hunt drones. the decay is rarely over 5 ped on armor and fap after 300 ped ammo.

Some of the people i know profit with these combos are people i know irl, that's how i know we do things the exact same way but with different results.

And, i've tried all my own ideas, i've tried everyone elses ideas - nothing works and that's just how it is.

Thx for support and im sorry for this whining but it's extremely frustrating to lose constantly no matter what u do.

Thx for support and im sorry for this whining but it's extremely frustrating to lose constantly no matter what u do.

gratz on the 6.7k argo hof!!!

gratz on the 6.7k argo hof!!!

thx, HoF's though is nothing but a nice bonus (unless it's a real biggie ofc like 20k+ or an UL item or something but that's never gonna happen).
i was glad when i got that HoF, but as Immortal said, with the 50% avg return the hof's are gone fast when u hunt a few hours per day.

thx, HoF's though is nothing but a nice bonus (unless it's a real biggie ofc like 20k+ or an UL item or something but that's never gonna happen).
i was glad when i got that HoF, but as Immortal said, with the 50% avg return the hof's are gone fast when u hunt a few hours per day.

well imagine what its like if you never hof above 800 ped :D
and have bad returns
for 7 years..
:laugh:

But your right.. a few thousand ped once a few years will not prevent depositing..would be nice tho

and have bad returns
for 7 years..
:laugh:

But your right.. a few thousand ped once a few years will not prevent depositing..would be nice tho

yeah it's wierd.. people who lose much in the average should be those who get "compensated" once in a while with a good hof imo. But many times, those who get the nice hof's are those who already profit regularly (the people on my FL atleast :p)

Play as eco as you can and struggle through your bad loot cycle. The rain passes eventually, the sun will come shining through one day.

well the highest tt loot i've ever had was a 202ped basic springs hof.. that was nice but it surely didn't pay the loses i've had on skilling basic springs.. so yeah i understand that.

hopefully you can turn your luck around again though mate.. but from the sounds of it you're losing far more then i would tolerate and would have already stopping the clicking if i had that kind of loses all the time..

...or imagine, if you can, 3 and a half years of hunting and no HoF over 450 PED.... I'm just glad I don't try to hunt eco, failing to acheive that too would hurt lol.

Flip a coin 1000 times you can get 1000 heads. Or you might lose the coin down a drain. My advice is to flip like you just don't care and see where it falls.

Hurrikane

Well... I'm gonna say it straight.
I have no problems profiting hunting snables with CB5, or hunting Trax at the beach with Korss H400 and a103 (just 2 examples)
But in order to do so, I have to spend countless hours hunting, crunching numbers, stacking items for auction.... etc....etc....etc... just to profit by a very, very, small %. And for me.... all that work takes the fun out of the game.
Now I am a low-mid level player, so maybe the profit margin will increase as I skill... but still.. To profit say 100 PED/day at 8 hrs/day.. that means I make a little over $1 U.S. per hour for my efforts. And... to be honest, I'd rather depot $100 U.S./week or more so that I can have fun and not worry about it. It's winter here and the average temp is -30 degrees celcious. Too cold to go ice fishing or skiing, etc..... so now that I've got enough skills to have fun in game, I have just limited my deposits to what I figure I'd spend on a normal basis doing other extra curricular activities that I can't due because of weather conditions. (I prefer outdoor activities as opposed to bars, movies, indoor sports).
But yeah... I can profit VERY VERY small amounts every day on average (some days I lose, but others I profit larger). But it's just no fun. I do have a SOC mate though that very much enjoys the number crunching. So that mate's enjoyment comes from the small profits aquired through the number crunching. Everyone is different. Personality is dynamic. :cool:

Well said my lovely plåssgabbe! :silly2:

/Faith

i recommend to stick to one lvl for a very loooong time. If you want p4a on drone for a few months do that, if you want apis+dante, then choose this weapo, but stick to it for a long time. If you hunt apis+dante one week and opalo+a101 the next, then it`s a huge gamble if u are doing good in the one, or the other week....

this will sound stupid, but really economic playing is to spend max 100ped a day, or even better don't play everyday.That's hard to do, so i suggest
don't use mining amps for some time, i mean it.Send me ur results after a week,two.

GL Uni :smoke:

Yup, it seems the more you play, the worse loot gets. :rolleyes: And the people that take breaks log in and hof after you've been hunting for 12 hours... that's backwards imo. People who put the most into the game should get the most out of it. Instead MA plays psychological games by ignoring those playing consistently and rewarding those who take time off and/or chip out.

So, it's counterintuitive, but I would recommend taking days off, or for example chipping out all your mining skills and heading to CND... :rolleyes:

Flip a coin 1000 times you can get 1000 heads. Or you might lose the coin down a drain. My advice is to flip like you just don't care and see where it falls.

Hurrikane

That my friend, is exactly what I am doing. Its an unavoidable attitude you'll develop after being on this godforsaken planet for a long time :laugh:

Just take stormers aimkII and you will be back on track in no time :wtg:

Yup, it seems the more you play, the worse loot gets. :rolleyes: And the people that take breaks log in and hof after you've been hunting for 12 hours... that's backwards imo. People who put the most into the game should get the most out of it. Instead MA plays psychological games by ignoring those playing consistently and rewarding those who take time off and/or chip out.

So, it's counterintuitive, but I would recommend taking days off, or for example chipping out all your mining skills and heading to CND... :rolleyes:

I disagree with this a bit....

I truly believe the people who get the biggest rewards from playing EU play more than anyone else as a rule. I have a few ubers on my friends list from events I have have run and they are rarely offline at all. Stryker may have moved on to have some RL, but as an example he's a good one... countless hours of play is what Ubers do, as well as buy the gear and skills. The reason you see those famous names, and the reason they are famous, is they are online for every event, familiar with every part of the game, and are always playing.

Hurrikane

I on the other hand have had 2 6-month breaks from EU (one from having no internet, one from going travelling) and both times got jack shit on my return.

Never spent more than you are willing to lose.

If you get something back or not is mostly luck.

Better enjoy EU as entertainment, and don´t try to break even or profit.

For me it works, ok I am a lucky one hit some nice UBERs allready that made me some nice profit vs deposits. But hey if I wold have lost all I deposited I won´t bother, as all my deposits is what I am willing to pay for entertainment.

These UBER Loots helped to upgrade my gear a little, but thats all.

BTW, I don´t camp one mob for to long, it could result in a painful loss. If loots bad, flip to another mob, or to another proffession. Thats what worked for me.

Playing smart is not always about weapons and equipment and skill level to use the economically. Playing smart is knowing when conditions are favorable and when they are not favorable. I tend to play more when its favorable and cause I don't like to lose I play less when things are unfavorable.

Everyone gets caught up on "profit" play to break even and eventually those profit days will come letting you get ahead. Continually camping mobs or looking for resources in unfavorable conditions will cost PEDs. Actually if you have more break even days the skills you gain are a form of profit when you sell them eventually.

Mixing the right skills and equipment with the right conditions in EU make a difference. You also have to realize that it will cost some to "test the waters" and see what the system conditions are like. If you can't seem to get things to line up then it might be time to sign off or try something that costs very little until system conditions change.

In general looking back at my hunting loot its been pretty horrible as far as TT value so I adapt to hunt mobs that have a likelyhood of dropping something with a nice +%. Mining has been better so I have hit some of the higher +% fields I know of because for some reason my mining conditions are better at this time. Next week hunting might be better and mining worse the week after that crafting might be better for me than both hunting and mining. Then if all else fails its time to create that face mask which will cost me very little.

Gauge your level of play based on conditions you observe and skills and equipment you have is my best answer. Think long term as well. Hope this helps out good luck :cool:

Back