Playing Entropia Universe with the Oculus Rift

Venture Bros

Elite
Banned
Society
Death Lords
Thaddeus Rusty Venture
So I figured it out and got it all working. And man is it great! Actually being inside the game is amazing, you can see the scale of objects and people, it's just too crazy.

This is a guide on how to get oculus rift integrated with Entropia Universe, no modding any files, it is completely legal in the game terms, you are basically only changing monitor settings around.

Download the program Deskope for the Oculus rift, I found these settings to be best for me but try messing around yourself.
V6Qoo7u.png

Then click the window finder and drag it over entropia universe and you are good to go.

When I played I disabled all desktop icons and huds in the game to free my view up. The head tracking to mouse emulation works fantastic and it feels 1:1 like you are properly moving your head in game. I also used a 360 controller instead of a keyboard and mouse. It is so fun!

Thanks for your effort and sharing =)

Cool! Have you encountered any mobs yet? ;)

Yep I think I may just have to purchase this for myself. :yay:

Its $300 (US) according to their sites pre-order page, and has this line next to a tickbox:

I understand this hardware is intended for developers and it is not a consumer product.

Not sure what difference this makes, mind. The thought of being immersed in a game does appeal though.

that is wicked crazy cool, just watched a youtube video about it awesome.

Its $300 (US) according to their sites pre-order page, and has this line next to a tickbox:

I understand this hardware is intended for developers and it is not a consumer product.

Not sure what difference this makes, mind. The thought of being immersed in a game does appeal though.

Real version will have a higher resolution display and more tracking tech. They are releasing a DEV kit so people will make games and programs for it. Like Deskope that allows people to use it for their desktop, or entropia in this case.

HMD (Head mounted displays) have been sold for over 40 years. The issue is no one has made shit for it. So Palmer released this so people will make shit before he sells the 'real' version.

I actually prefer much lower Zoom value (40-50%) so that I can see most of the UI elements without moving them to the center of the screen.

Hunting is fun, but try flying around in Sleipnir or driving around - IT ***** ROCKS! :D

So glad to hear others are using this to play as well! Seeing everything with actual scale is amazing!

how does one buy such a kick ass system?

i want the final version!!!!!!!!!!!

Just ordered my Oculus Rift, can't wait for it to be delivered.

damn i am jealloussss

tell me how easy it is to setup lol

damn i am jealloussss

tell me how easy it is to setup lol

it's not for techno nubs like you and me =P we gotta wait until the super geeks finish doing what we can't then we get lovely packaged, easy to install OcuRifs *droooools*

I also got excited when I saw that John Carmack and Matt Hooper from id Software is on the Oculus team :yay:

Please post your Oculus experiments in EU.

Keep in mind that until (hopefully) you'll get used to the nausea caused by the headset your gaming sessions with the Oculus Rift will be 10-20min.

Initially your brain is not used to getting confusing information from your eyes and the inner ear. Eyes are telling it that you are moving, but the rest of the body does not feel the motion.
When brain gets confused, its instinct is to assume you are poisoned, and a natural reaction to being poisoned is to puke the hell out whatever you may just have ate.... so hence the nausea :)

Fortunately, apparently, you can get used to it. It's the similar reaction new astronauts/pilots get when in zero-gravity.

Just like with hangovers after drinking, Rift is totally worth it ;)

But it's not in 3D, is it?

3D would require interaction with the game engine to simultaneously generate two slightly different images from two ingame cameras.

3D would require interaction with the game engine to simultaneously generate two slightly different images from two ingame cameras.

You can play Entropia in 3d though... I've done it using the anamorphic method. It does have issues though. I think its a ce2 thing. I saw some comments on how to do things with crysis and 3d and it said you needed to turn off a bunch of effects like shadows and such to avoid weird artifacts.

That said, I don't know if it would be possible to map those two images to either side of the rift. If you were to say use the 120Hz monitor method you would presumably get a left then right image rendered in one place alternatively.

I note that the Deskope has options for Red Cyan 3d though which is what I used so maybe....?

Wistrel

My oculus rift is being shipped in the next days ... :yay:

Well, it's complicated and based on how the DirectX rendering happens and such. But since the engine sends 3D data to the graphic card it can create a 3D view with two slightly differing camera's based on the rendering data it receives. So to answer you question, it's more to do with the gfx card then the engine. The engine has more to do with the building of the world than really creating the "views" so to speak. But it's complicated so maybe someone else could really explain it more simply and cleary than I can.

Well, it's complicated and based on how the DirectX rendering happens and such. But since the engine sends 3D data to the graphic card it can create a 3D view with two slightly differing camera's based on the rendering data it receives. So to answer you question, it's more to do with the gfx card then the engine. The engine has more to do with the building of the world than really creating the "views" so to speak. But it's complicated so maybe someone else could really explain it more simply and cleary than I can.

The engine is important too ... if it "fakes" some 3D aspects then you can be screwed too.
I own a 3D monitor & glasses and tried many games. Some cheat and use 2D bitmaps for shadows (for performance) so if you put everything into 3D (DirectX related Z buffer stuff) than that shadow is not in 3D. Also for EU I noticed that the distance which is put into 3D is limited. Far far away, the world is 2D in EU (perhaps a setting in CryEngine to increase the distance (and the cost of the gfx card).

:)

My oculus rift is being shipped in the next days ... :yay:

Same here got message last Thursday it was shipping in 1-2 business days so should be in transit today I am hoping.

Edit:
Your order #***** has been shipped.

:) can't wait to feel all the sickness others using the device experience I got my trashcan ready..... I hope the new 3D type effects I have seen since thursday this week makes the whole experience better, it made my 42" monitor display more interesting to experience, a lot like watching normal movie on a 3D tv, cool in ways, and uncool in other ways :D

Last edited:
It arrived, I can't wait to get home and try it out with EU.

I played with Desktope and VR Player applications so far and looked at some images and a video utilizing the tracking and viewing and it seems pretty cool.

I have not tried it with any games yet as I was just playing with it on my work computer. Was wierd when I tried to use it as my virtual desktop environment and working on some code. Was cool to work with that immersion level but when reaching for the mouse it was bit wierd because I could not see my arm move towards the mouse almost phantom arm like. Also tracking the mouse and your head at same time took a bit of getting use to. But the wierdest thing was getting use to focusing on typing and noticing how many micro moves your head does all the time and getting use to that.

But 30 minutes then can try this out on an actual game.

Tell me !!!!!

IS it worth it?

is it easy to setup?

Tell me !!!!!

IS it worth it?

is it easy to setup?

I used Deskope as the OP did and took a little of adjusting to find settings I liked, took about 30-45 min of small tweaks with resolution, FOV, tracking speed etc. using the option to keep the mouse pointer within view area is great option to use with EU.

FOV is only like 60-70 degrees it is not immersive at 360 degrees FOV, because you are just taking a desktop image and zooming in on that with a stereoscopic view that Deskope translates for viewing in the Oculus Rift Headset. It did give the game a more 3D aspect with some small head movement viewing so that was nice, if the game had native support for it and 360 FOV it would be so much better but alas it doesn't so have to use what we have. Deskope also seems to slowly misinterpret tracking back to normal center with fast side to side head movements so about every 5 min I need to do a recenter so my head is looking straight again as it should when seeing straight in the game.

I was going to try using VR Player and attach the process but I just get black images so I do not think EU is GDI compliant for that player. I get outer window frame and can read the title text but inside the window all is black. I was thinking that player might be able to more immerse a person into the image because it has a ton more options on how to translate the image etc. But could never get it working.

Besides the blind feeling around keyboard to find my hotkeys and taking my hand off the mouse and re-finding the mouse again blindly it is not so bad.

My only negative about Oculus Rift on a game that has no support and dealing with the short comings of it is that the resolution of the screen in the headset needs to be improved. With tweaking the contrast and brighness the pixilations blend together better but they still need to find a higher definition screen to use, if you focus you can definitely see pixils very clearly giving the image a grainy look. But this is just the dev kit and they have stated they are working on getting a better resolution screen for the headset.

But besides the resolution and deskope tracking issue it is definitely a good immersive feeling in the game, and if/when they ever natively support it with 360 degree FOV it definitely will be worth getting then, even with the current screen IMO.

I did download and try WarThunder which does have full support and that was an awesome experience and things looked way more 3D and immersive because the game image translations are correctly done for a better experience with the Oculus Rift. I could only imagine how much more awesome it would be with a game with better graphics like EU. I do plan on trying some other games out but so far this is all I have tried so all I can report on.

Tell me !!!!!

IS it worth it?

is it easy to setup?

Thought it was a gimmick myself.....until I saw this:

proper 3D death star sequence gotta be a winner :yay:

Thought it was a gimmick myself.....until I saw this:

proper 3D death star sequence gotta be a winner :yay:

Ya that is what WarThunder was like also it was pretty cool.

Back