Playing Entropia Universe with the Oculus Rift

Can u play ps3 or ps4 when that comes out? I would realy like to try to play gta V with oculus :)

Remember that u need Virtuix Omni.

Oculus + Mouse and keyboard just feels dull rly. :p

After lots of tweaking and adjusting resolution with game and monitor size I found a sweet combination that works well with Deskope and I may never play EU without Oculus Rift again. It is the most amazing awesome enhancment to the game ever. I found good size for complete leftright head turn and up/down without turning torso and barely getting seeing edges of the monitor. I can see people getting disoriented with these settings if you get motion sickness and driving vehicles my stomache has lurched a few times from fast decents and not expecting it. No vomit yet lol,

Game at 1274x1008, with game montor set to 1280x1024, I have my oculus and my 2nd montior set to Oculus Native size so I can see oculus image while not wearing headset.

Deskope settings:
Enable Tracking

Disable Desktop Composition

Image Separation at 130 - if I went 1 tick over or under it would make text wierd, if I shifted to far to the other side I can get good image also I think it depends on domanent eye for best side to set to.

Rotation Speed at 14 - just seemed like a good speed when turning my head

Zoom at 0.9 - I measured zoom with other NPC avatars standing right in front of them to get correct zoom.

FPs 60

Restrict Cursor to View Area is nice so you never lose mouse but not to bad to play without it now.

I now about every 30-45 min have to recenter probably because I adjust my chair etc. stupid swivel uncomfy chair I have so that even is pretty good now.

grr double post

Remember that u need Virtuix Omni.

Oculus + Mouse and keyboard just feels dull rly. :p

Ya that looks cool but I am to fat and lazy to want to use that to play games, I'd feel I should be outside working on stuff instead of breaking a sweat playing a game.

Thank you so much for this thread, I ordered my Oculus Rift on September 18th and it was shipped last week on Thursday, will be delivered here on Wednesday October 30 and I was wondering how I would set it up for EU, thanks loads again. ++++++++++++++ Rep if I can :)

:yay::wtg::yay::wtg::yay:

Amazing
AMazing and amazing
i got mine.....
heh :)

300$ for a toy :) and wow i will never see this game the same........

3 D OMFGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG WOW
amazing!!!

i still will fiddle with it to make it even better but amazing love it

Amazing
AMazing and amazing
i got mine.....
heh :)

300$ for a toy :) and wow i will never see this game the same........

3 D OMFGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG WOW
amazing!!!

i still will fiddle with it to make it even better but amazing love it

My favorite area's are OLA06 the Club Sweat TP, running through those plants there is amazing, followed by flying into East Scully Mountain Crater just an awesome feeling of smallness you get, then the Cyclops Depths (the vault) itself it just looks amazing in there. The new Cape Corinth valley ways look pretty cool also along with the new Cape Corinth itself.

Anyone still using the Rift?

So I just ordered my DK2 a year later. I was wondering if anyone else is still using the rift to play? If so, were the settings posted for the DK1 or DK2? My will be shipped today, in about 7 hours and counting. I'm like a little kid jumping around and can't wait =)

Apparently you want to google vorpX it is the program to use

lucky on the dk2 !!!

i am waiting for consumer ed next :)

So I just ordered my DK2 a year later. I was wondering if anyone else is still using the rift to play? If so, were the settings posted for the DK1 or DK2? My will be shipped today, in about 7 hours and counting. I'm like a little kid jumping around and can't wait =)

Yes I had run a few sessions on twitch.tv using the DK2. I ended up using Virtual Desktop for Oculus Rift for software as Deskope had yet to have an update to support the DK2 at the time. Virtual Desktop for OR had very few manual settings to adjust to get working.

I quickly looked at the demo's of that VorpX product that was mentioned, looks pretty intriguing for 40 USD, I am just wondering if it truely does 360 degree rendering or just stretches the image like Virtual Desktop for OR and Deskope does. All the video demos are pretty fixed on a straight ahead view and not much looking around so be aware it maybe you can use the free products that do something very similar to VorpX investigate it more first.

looks like a integration of the game into the Oculus .... as it says \:
vorpX is a 3D driver specifically aimed at VR headsets like the Oculus Rift and supports many DX9-DX11 games.
It converts the displayed image to an output that is suitable for watching a game on the headset, in many cases in stereoscopic 3D.

so tempted to buy buy pretty expensive

looks like a integration of the game into the Oculus .... as it says \:
vorpX is a 3D driver specifically aimed at VR headsets like the Oculus Rift and supports many DX9-DX11 games.
It converts the displayed image to an output that is suitable for watching a game on the headset, in many cases in stereoscopic 3D.

so tempted to buy buy pretty expensive

I can understand it uses a driver to put you in a zoomed in wrapped about 180 degree view. Most demo's I have seen have to have special programming to handle the full 360 degree free motion of moving the head. EU does not have any of that programmed natively you have to change view using the mouse camera angle or in first person mode using the wasd keys. There is no way I have found to change your camara view in first person mode in EU which would allow you to change your view to the side or behind without moving your avatars facing direction.

Unless they figured out how to hack the game somehow to add this I see no difference running VorpX over Deskope and Virtual Desktop for OR software as they do pretty much the same thing with manual manipulation of some settings. Was saying if that's all it does 40usd is overpriced for something others offer for free, unless it does add in some extra features which I have not seen yet from my previews.

I will get my DK2 setup running Virtual Desktop for OR and be streaming it tonight at twitch.tv/killarious_maximillion if anyone is interested in seeing what it looks like.

Of course the DK2 experience is much better then watching the stereo graphic view on a flat screen monitor but I will look around so you can see what happens in that software when I say wraps the flat image around you in 180 or so degree FoV. You will see the top and sides of the viewable window and what happens if I turn my head to far to the left or right and up and down.

I have not seen any evidence form VorpX yet that hint it does much different, as all the demos just show a forward point of view with very slight movement of the head. I am more interested in the extremity of it's FoV.

Glad to see this is still being actively discussed.

Glad to see this is still being actively discussed.

My friend has a DK2. I'm hoping we can try EU before Christmas. I'm not expecting raves (although some of the descriptions here are pretty positive!) mainly cause DK1 on other games not designed for Rift was a bit not great I found.

So it sounds like people are still recommending Deskope? Does it support DK2? I didn't seem to find any info on that yet...

Hope people are still following this thread.

Wistrel

My friend has a DK2. I'm hoping we can try EU before Christmas. I'm not expecting raves (although some of the descriptions here are pretty positive!) mainly cause DK1 on other games not designed for Rift was a bit not great I found.

So it sounds like people are still recommending Deskope? Does it support DK2? I didn't seem to find any info on that yet...

Hope people are still following this thread.

Wistrel

I have not heard of any development being completed for Deskope for DK2 yet, the main programmer commented a couple months ago that he would start looking at it again once he got settled in at school but has not posted anything since that I have found.

I have used another free application called "Virtual Desktop for Oculus Rift" if you zoom in it handles the left right view nicely but when you look up and down it causes wierd dimension skewing that never happened with Deskope but it is tolerable for playing EU. I use OR DK2 when doing some solo slower hunting because it gives that special feeling of being in the game so worth checking out if you can.

The DK1 was ok also it was just hard to read the text, with the higher resolution of DK2 reading the text is much more comfortable on the eyes.

My DK2 will be here tomorrow. K-Max, if Virtual Desktop didn't work very well for you, what do you use instead? Any updates on your configurations? Also, has anyone taken the 400 ped hit and tried vorpX?

I'll report back on how it is.

I've just got a DK2 so this is great, cheers! Downloading deskope as I type this, I'll let you know how I get on.

Jamhot

Did you manage to get Deskope going with DK2? I didn't try it yet... I guess I should just in case... I've generally had little success with DK1 applications though so I doubt it will work.

I was hoping to get Vireo Perception going with Entropia once they released (they did now) the version that worked with Crysis (CE2). I've not really worked out how to do this yet though. Anything I've so far tried has made no difference. Perception does work with things like Dear Esther and Portal 2 though so it is at least theoretically possible...

I guess I could for a starting point try it with Crysis and see if even that much works. Crysis in VR would be pretty cool in itself... I bet Crysis runs quite nicely on a GTX 560ti. Last time I tried it, I was packing a 8500GT on XP so I never even got to have a go at the DX10 effects.

Wistrel

Since I have DK2 lying on my table for some time, subscribing.. Will try to make it work as well.

I'm interested to know if it is worth picking up a DK2 or not right now, irrespective of whether it can be made to work with Entropia Universe, does it work well?

I'm interested to know if it is worth picking up a DK2 or not right now, irrespective of whether it can be made to work with Entropia Universe, does it work well?

Just wait for the consumer version, the DK2 is what it is a DevKit. The Samsung pentile display still shows a lot of screendoor effect and the whole thing is not really a "plug and play" :)

Even the lenses are so fragile, that it's basically impossible not to scratch them, so really a very fragile piece of HW.

Just wait for the consumer version, the DK2 is what it is a DevKit. The Samsung pentile display still shows a lot of screendoor effect and the whole thing is not really a "plug and play" :)

Even the lenses are so fragile, that it's basically impossible not to scratch them, so really a very fragile piece of HW.

Meh too late, bought one :)

Digging up an old thread, I know, but since the days of DK2's etc, we now have full consumer versions of both Oculus and HTC's Vive.

I see that MA made an announcement some time ago saying they will integrate with VR, but let's just assume for a moment, that MA say things like that a lot and don't actually act on it... has anyone tried using Entropia on their VR units.

i have a Vive, so would be interested if anyone has a clue how to run entropia through it... :smoke:

I have been following this thread and have even put aside money to pay for a VR unit - but I am reluctant to purchse until I know that :

a. it works without too much setting up
b. Full system requirements. I live abroad and have to use a laptop for playing EU. Even my ASUS ROG I am pretty sure wont handle the graphics for VR. Does anyone know the min system requirements for Rift, Vive or any other commercially available unit ?

You can't use vr on a laptop. You need an extremely powerful computer to render games at the highest fps possible so it looks realistic and it has to render it twice. One for each eye. If your going to buy a 1000 dollar headset you can't use it on a 300 laptop. Buy a 1500 desktop computer. 800 dollar minimum if it's less then 2 months old tech.

Digging up an old thread, I know, but since the days of DK2's etc, we now have full consumer versions of both Oculus and HTC's Vive.

I see that MA made an announcement some time ago saying they will integrate with VR, but let's just assume for a moment, that MA say things like that a lot and don't actually act on it... has anyone tried using Entropia on their VR units.

i have a Vive, so would be interested if anyone has a clue how to run entropia through it... :smoke:

Just Google how to set up skyrim on vive or grand theft auto and follow those instructions but for eu.

Just Google how to set up skyrim on vive or grand theft auto and follow those instructions but for eu.

That sounds sensible. Will give it a go - spent ages configuring a controller so I don't need a keyboard or mouse, so ready for everything to work in theory... as long as no one tries speaking to me because I can't type back that is :smoke:

Min specs for VR:

Video Card NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD R9 290 equivalent or greater
CPU Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
Memory 8GB+ RAM
Video Output Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
USB Ports - decent amount of USB 3.0 and 2.0 needed (different for each machine)

Back