PLEASE HELP! Calypso Revival Border Research...

Kuber

Guardian
Society
Calypso Rescue Team
[size=+2]It's Time to Find Revival Borders![/size]

As some of you already know, Calypso Rescue Team has been responsible for revival maps for the community since 2006. Since VU10, all of that info has changed.

We're once again performing dedicated research to discover where the new revival borders are, but as you might imagine, it's an involved process.

To help accelerate this research, I've spent a few weeks creating a form and dynamic maps for Eudoria and Amethera that lets players input origin and destination coordinates for their revival teleports, then instantly see how those appear on the map.

Calypso Rescue Team is requesting help from the Calypso community to help us input data for the collective benefit of the community. The more people who use the system, the faster we'll be able to determine the border boundaries and fashion some proper revival maps.

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

[size=+1]SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS[/size]

If an avatar dies or if the player hits "T" to teleport to the nearest revival terminal, press "P" before the teleport occurs and "P" immediately after revival, then plug those coordinates into the input form here:

[size=+1]http://revivals.euforces.com[/size]

Once you submit the revival form, we store that in our db table and update the appropriate XML files which list the revival coordinates.

To see your revivals on the maps, or to check out the revivals we have already plotted, just visit either of the Flash-based maps at the following addresses:

[size=+1]http://eudoria.euforces.com
http://amethera.euforces.com[/size]

To help with discovering borders and plotting new places to test, you can check the Orig Coords and Dest Coords in the options and it will display the coordinates used for the revival lines.

You can also turn on a Draft Grid which overlays a cubic grid on the maps which we believe will form "hard boundaries" that the revival borders will then subdivide even further. This should be considered a rough guide and may have exceptions.

We've also imported all of the VU10.0 teleporter locations from this thread https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/about-entropia-universe/160398-vu-10-0-teleporters.html and have loaded those onto the map in a series of icons that denote whether there is just an outpost, teleporter, bank or mall. You can turn off the Map Icons and Map Names in the options as well to make it easier to see revivals.

Some of the outposts from this VU10.0 list are not listed, specifically outposts that Nikto hadn't checked and broken/dangerous revives. We'll be testing these out soon and updating the location icons so that all of the known outposts show up. If you know about any that we don't have in the meantime, feel free to PM me with that info.

[size=+1]REGISTRATION OPTIONAL[/size]

Finally, it is not required to use the system, but we ask that you register at our society forum by clicking "Register" at http://www.euforces.com or using this direct link http://v2.euforces.com/wp-login.php?action=register so that you can log in. Again this is purely optional at this stage.

We are initially launching this in an open format for all to use, but if bad data gets entered and starts to spoil the maps, we may need to restrict data entry to only those users who are registered and logged into our site.

By registering and making sure you're logged in at euforces.com before entering data at http://revivals.euforces.com, if we do decide to restrict data in the future, you can insure that the data you are collecting does not get discarded if that happens.

[size=+1]IMPORTANT NOTES[/size]

We have already made some adjustments to the system to avoid spam and bad entries. The form will only let you enter numbers, and you must enter both Origin X,Y coordinates and Destination X,Y coordinates for every pair. You can enter up to 10 pairs of coordinates per page.

The maps should both work well for both Internet Explorer 7.0 and 8.0. If you have problems on IE8 you might want to enable Compatibility View on your Tools menu.

Every once in a while on Internet Explorer when I first visit one of the maps, I will get nothing but a blank screen. Refreshing the page, however, loads the map just fine. If anyone has any idea what this might be caused by, I'd love to hear from you! Please PM me here on EF and I'll see if I can fix it if it's not a browser/PC issue.

FIREFOX USERS: I'm not big on Firefox usage but the maps do function in Firefox. However, there is some kind of issue at the moment where when you visit the page, although the flash map loads up and activates, it does not automatically play. YOU MUST RIGHT-CLICK the blank white page and click Play, then the map loads.

I have been through nearly a dozen different methods to try to get this thing to play automatically in FF, going both through Adobe's AS run script and half a dozen different versions of SWFobject and other workarounds and it is refusing to comply. Again, if any Firefox/coders out there have any idea how I can modify the source page to trigger the autoplay function, please PM me and I'll get that fixed ASAP.

[size=+1]Final thoughts...[/size]

We have great hopes that this project will help us quickly determine the borders, at which time we'll add the borders to the map.

We also are aware of several other mapping projects out there, and we'd love to collaborate in any ways possible. If you believe there is some synergy between our projects we'd love to hear from you!

Again we appreciate any help the community can provide. Please feel free to PM me with any errors or questions that you may run into while using the system.

Last edited:
Wonderful idea. I will have to start doing some sites for you all. :]

Why is it recommended that we sign up on the soc forums?

ACE BIG +REP..

I thought about making notes about where died and where i would revive so that a basic boarder could be made but this is brill idea and well put together..

Why is it recommended that we sign up on the soc forums?

Zane thanks for the help! :)

The registration thing is just a contingency in case someone tries to go in and start plotting a bunch of useless coordinates to screw up the maps. If that happens, and we all hope it doesn't, but if it does, we might need to remove all of a particular user's entries, for instance so that the data integrity is restored.

At this point and for the foreseeable future, you can use the form with no registration required and your data will appear instantly on the map upon refreshing the map.

Cheers!

Zane thanks for the help! :)

The registration thing is just a contingency in case someone tries to go in and start plotting a bunch of useless coordinates to screw up the maps. If that happens, and we all hope it doesn't, but if it does, we might need to remove all of a particular user's entries, for instance so that the data integrity is restored.

At this point and for the foreseeable future, you can use the form with no registration required and your data will appear instantly on the map upon refreshing the map.

Cheers!

Makes sense. I'm gonna go out and start getting some coords right now. This is a great undertaking. :D I'm glad to contribute. :thumbup:

:wtg:

Will you be creating "revival borders" once you get enough data?

Also, will you be adding LAs & PVP zones to it as well in future?

I'll be sure to go out there into some of the yet uncharted areas to add some coords.

subscribing
exellent work +rep Kuber
I will add some too :bomb:

I will incorporate the revival submit form into the actual euforces.com website over the next days.

Nothing will change in the current setup, users will be able to use the same domains as stated above in the 1st post. Just appearance changes and the ability to restrict logged in users only (in case we need it).

Go get some revivals!

And, yes Octo, once we have sufficient data the actual revival borders will be projected on the maps.
Actually for some that didn't know, this is how the old revival maps were made too :)

I can also confirm that you have to right click -> Play on Google Chrome too.

:wtg:

Will you be creating "revival borders" once you get enough data?

Also, will you be adding LAs & PVP zones to it as well in future?

I'll be sure to go out there into some of the yet uncharted areas to add some coords.

Once enough data is collected and the borders are visible, yes we will be producing an overlay for this map as well as a typical "flat map" with those borders so the community can see where they are.

Adding the LAs shouldn't be a problem in the next weeks, although if someone has the capacity to help out by donating some coordinates which spell out the shape of LAs, that would certainly be helpful.

If you'd like to help, or have a favorite LA, what we'll need is the precise coordinates for each corner of the polygon shape which makes up the LA. Then I can feed those in and draw out the LAs. You can leave those here in the replies or feel free to PM me with that data.

PVP areas are much easier and should be on the map sometime in the next week or so at the latest.

And again, thanks for any help you can provide with either LA corner coordinates or revival coordinates! :)

Finding these should be much easier than before, now that we can see where the server borders on the map.

In theory you could make a revival map without any of this data by simply drawing lines around the server borders and then drawing bisecting lines between the various revival points. All you need to know is the location of all the revives.

I think this is an awesome project. I'll try to get as many coordinates as I can. Shouldn't be hard, as I tend to die a lot :laugh: This will work for both continents right?

This will work for both continents right?

It will indeed work for both continents. When you input your coordinates, it checks to see which continent those coordinates are located on, then updates the appropriate XML file for that continent automatically.

hello buddy
can i post the info here????

Yay! Look at all these people contributing! We really appreciate your help...the more people the better :yay:

cool but
can I post here the results????

cool but

They linked to the page where you input the coordinates. :)

This is a cool project. Once this is done, Calypso Rescue Team will be back up and running?

cool but

Dr.D.C., I'm not sure which results you mean. If it is revival coordinates that you have, if you could submit those into the form at http://revivals.euforces.com that would be appreciated.

If you have comments or suggestions or LA corner coordinates or something else, sure feel free to post them here!

I have been waiting for this project for 3 months!

Since CE2, it is a huge pain to have no revival map.
I was also thinking of similar project for a while, but not so sophisticated. :ahh:

However, don't you want to add some "target" area where you have the less coordinates to ensure a regular and balanced "discovery"?

Well, I go register. :)

I've added a few and well impressed with the ease of use, and I see that they've appeared on the map already :yay:

Dr.D.C., I'm not sure which results you mean. If it is revival coordinates that you have, if you could submit those into the form at http://revivals.euforces.com that would be appreciated.

If you have comments or suggestions or LA corner coordinates or something else, sure feel free to post them here!

cool i will post them here eventually

However, don't you want to add some "target" area where you have the less coordinates to ensure a regular and balanced "discovery"?

Well we don't have "target areas", but the way that I personally use the system is by teleporting out into the middle between two or more outposts or revive points, where there aren't too many yellow lines, and then hit T or let the mobs there kill me.

That way you see where the dividing lines shape up.

Then you can start exploring to either side of those initial jumps to try and slide along the expected directions of the borders.

Its really amazing to see how the coordinates we enter are immediately taken into account on the map! (Island east of Fort Troy... :ahh:)

Hehe, I feel I will "take" Fort Troy this evening.

:yay:

Edit:
It would be cool if we could just paste the lines copied from Chat.
Somethin like:
Your current position is: Calypso (81080, 69956, 109)
Your current position is: Calypso (80641, 70478, 125)

;)

Last edited:
Finding these should be much easier than before, now that we can see where the server borders on the map.

In theory you could make a revival map without any of this data by simply drawing lines around the server borders and then drawing bisecting lines between the various revival points. All you need to know is the location of all the revives.

True that we can see the borders now, but there are many many more borders than just the server zones. As far as I've heard the servers on eudoria are very few but don't quote me on it.

With all the new teleporters and outposts, there is a much more saturated grid with revival points and of course borders.

Some places also are a meeting point between 2-5 zones, in these cases just drawing straight lines doesn't help much, unless I misunderstood how exactly you had in mind :)

It would be cool if we could just paste the lines copied from Chat.
Somethin like:
Your current position is: Calypso (81080, 69956, 109)
Your current position is: Calypso (80641, 70478, 125)

;)

Thanks for the suggestion, Executor! That might be feasible. People would need to be very careful about what they pasted in, however.

I'll see what I can get added onto the form in the next week or two so we can test that cut and paste method. I'm sure it would make the input even easier.

True that we can see the borders now, but there are many many more borders than just the server zones. As far as I've heard the servers on eudoria are very few but don't quote me on it.

With all the new teleporters and outposts, there is a much more saturated grid with revival points and of course borders.

Some places also are a meeting point between 2-5 zones, in these cases just drawing straight lines doesn't help much, unless I misunderstood how exactly you had in mind :)

Yeah, there are a lot more revives now so I suspect the final map will be considerably more complicated than the old ones were.

My point was that you can work them all out mathematically. As you know, reviving always takes you to the nearest revive point on the same server. Since it's now easy to identify and plot the server boundaries, working out those lines is considerably simpler than it used to be. I guess the difficult part is getting all of the co-ordinates of the revives, since there are so many and since many outposts don't appear on the map.

Collecting the co-ordinates on your website is a good way to get the details, and to try to get it as accurate as possible. But it should be possible to draw a basic revive map without doing any of that. Still hard work though :)

Thanks for the suggestion, Executor! That might be feasible. People would need to be very careful about what they pasted in, however.

I'll see what I can get added onto the form in the next week or two so we can test that cut and paste method. I'm sure it would make the input even easier.

IMO, there is higher risk of error when typing these **** figures than [Ctrl+C] and [Ctrl+V]. (In my case anyway :))

I think than appart from ocasionally entering revival coordinates when they die, there may be some people willing to find a limit between two partcular revivals. :ahh: (It's free, it's fun, it's like a challenge, why shouldn't I?)

Here is the point: sometimes, there is a tiny lag when the avatar is moved from a server to the neighbour one. Maybe it could help to enter these coordinates as "possible limit"? It would be less time consuming than reviving, coming back, TPing 3 meters away etc...

from
Your current position is: Calypso (33666, 54142, 249)
to
Your current position is: Calypso (36960, 53184, 154)

wow

Here is the point: sometimes, there is a tiny lag when the avatar is moved from a server to the neighbour one. Maybe it could help to enter these coordinates as "possible limit"? It would be less time consuming than reviving, coming back, TPing 3 meters away etc...

I do agree, however since we just launched the project into public mode, I'm not really ready to start slicing up the map arbitrarily just yet. With another week's time, it may be completely proven that there is a pre-established "server grid".

As I look at the map here, I see that it does appear that each section of the map graphic has its own external border. So on Eudoria, it appears there are 16 identically-sized boxes and the edges of those boxes are all hard lines where revival borders are, with the remaining internal space divided up among the outposts therein.

I'll see about adding a 4x4 grid overlay that can be turned on, and perhaps get started with the revival border overlay in the next week if time permits so that we can start drawing edges where we already have enough data points.

In a near future, is it possible that you add some "draft" version of limits on the map?

For example, I am "working" on the limit north of Fort Troy.

I have an idea that the limit is an horizontal line, but I don't know if the current data entered are enough.
- If they aren't, I should enter more data, also maybe you could indicate which "Origin" point would help the line to be drawn.
- If they are, I could focus on another limit.

:)

Edit: North border of Fort Troy is at LAT 69400. :)

Edit2: North border of Fort Troy is between LAT 69316 & 69383!

Last edited:
Back