Please help, download makes no sense!

itchypc

So I've tried to download this game multiple times, I keep getting slightly further each time. My computer is built for gaming, however, I do have DSL, I figured that could be a part of the problem. Anyway, the download always starts at 160kb/s, and the total download says 1.5gb or so. Then it starts to rise dramatically throughout the download. It will go from 1.5gb to 14.5gb in a few hours.. why is it doing this, and can I make it download normally?

Thank you very much for your time.

OT: I was able to play FF11 and WoW without lag, and the download worked normally.

I assume you're in the Client Loader and it's downloading game data. EU is big, I'd just let it download everything. If you want to exclude space and other planets in your download, go into the client loader, hit the "tools" button and under "dynamic content", deselect everything but Calypso (I assume you're starting on Calypso).

Yea, deselect other than Calypso, You can DL those later... And yep, DL is huge due massive amount of content we have...

Not sure how big are installation files, haven't reinstalled it for years, but fully installed in my case it occupies 5.2Gb in Program Files and 13.6Gb of dynamic data in Users. So it's indeed huge.

Ahh I see.. okay, thank you all very much for the information and quick replies.
I really appreciate it, I'll try to deselect everything but calypso, and try it.
Then I'll get back to you guys and let you know how it worked out.

Thanks again!

I haven't got the panel in front of me - but I think you need the entry marked 'gateway' or similar as well as Calypso.

Right, leave "Calypso Gateway" checked too if you're starting on Calypso, it's the starting area (on other planets there are no dedicated newbie zones, you're just dumped in the world right away).

Okay so I took the advice, I deselected everything but calypso gateway, and it's still doing the same thing.
I started out great, it only took 2 minutes to get to 35 mb out of 1.002 gb, then 10 seconds later it stops, and I end up at 11 mb out of 1.135 gb..

It continues to do this as if I'm downloading a bunch of content they're not telling me about.
Last night, I had it downloading all night, for 7 hours.
When I awoke, I found it was at 250 mb out of 14.500 gb.. that is insane...

My computer downloads more than 250 mb in 7 hours.
I've downloaded 4 gb games overnight before.. I just don't get this..

ETA: I now turned on calypso gateway and calypso, just to make sure... tell you how that goes later.

Yes.. still the same problem.
I have a feeling this problem will plague you guys rather than be an easy solution.
I have no idea why it's doing this and I'm not computer savvy at all.

I have calypso gateway and calypso selected only, with the gateway prioritized.
For some reason, the max download says 1.002 gb for the gateway in the beginning,
then periodically it jumps up extensively. For example, it will go from 1.002 gb,
to 2.564 gb, and so forth.

The max download never stops growing in size, all the meanwhile pushing what I've already downloaded wayyy down.

I'm starting to feel like this is more complaining than anything, I apologize everyone.
I'm normally a patient person, but this download thing is irritating.

Also, I've been a gamer my entire life, I'm 28 now. I'm a pretty good judge of which games are worth the time. So I want this game to work, I want to learn about this game, be a part of it, and hopefully make some great friends. Just thought I should add that part, I'm done rambling now..

Last edited:
I'm sure I've seen this problem before on a forum. But finding it will be a problem as it was some time ago!

Yes Meric, I went through many pages before making this post to see if anyone had a similar problem. I really don't want to be a problem to anyone, so I figure this is what I'll do..

I'll continue to let the max download grow exponentially until it hopefully stops somewhere along the way.
If it reaches 50 gb or more, I will lose all patience and delete everything, then go back into mmorpg hunting mode, and try to find something that isn't a sad ripoff of WoW..

I haven't even gotten past the tutorial session, yet I feel like this mmorpg is extremely different and unique.
Anyway, wish me luck! :D

This sounds very similar to your problem and the guy solved it by disabling UPnP on the router.

Oh wow, that sounds exactly like the problem I'm having.
However.. I'm not computer savvy, I have no idea what a UPnP is, nor how to change it..
Nor which specifications he changed it to.

Wait.. I'm on the internet duh! I'll look it up and how to change it.. lol

Hi. almost welcome to calypso! you seem to have the determination to do well :)

if all else fails you could try allowing these ports in your firewall (from the ma support website @ https://account.entropiauniverse.com/support-faq/technical-issues-1/start-login-connection-fa/)

Open these ports in your firewall:
20, 21 (TCP Outbound) - Additional TCP Port outbound for passive mode FTP
80 (Outbound)
30584 (UDP inbound/outbound)
30583 (TCP Outbound)
554 (TCP Inbound)

This was the only thing that has helped me in the past. i couldnt play for months at one point because i had these ports closed. I dont fully understand it all myself but i can open them just about lol.
Hope you get sorted.
Conners

Oh wow, that sounds exactly like the problem I'm having.
However.. I'm not computer savvy, I have no idea what a UPnP is, nor how to change it..
Nor which specifications he changed it to.

Wait.. I'm on the internet duh! I'll look it up and how to change it.. lol

I'm pretty sure the manual for your modem tells exactly how to do it :)

Should be from the admin panel

Okay, how do I change the ports? I know, I need to learn more about computers.. lol it's sad..

I tried installing eu on my son's computer upstairs which is connected wireless. Sometimes the connection fails, and then it continues.. it looked the same as your problem.. the values just began rising.. ultimately it did download and everything was fine.

Okay, how do I change the ports? I know, I need to learn more about computers.. lol it's sad..

Depending on what operating system your using it will vary. but there should be some advanced options in your firewall thingy in the control panel.
On windows 7 its on advanced settings, then you have inbound and outbound rules, where you can set which ports to allow etc.
Good luck

As EU is a safe download would it make sense to turn the firewall off completely to allow the download instead of messing around with the ports at this time?

Back