Posting to a 12 year old Post ?

CozMoDan

Elite
Herco Coz Mann
I check for new posts because I enjoy the comments and there is much good info to be found. That being said, I just opened a 12 year old post about ads and even though it was closed to further posting after that post I think it there should be a expiration time on posts. If no new posts for 6 months to a thread it should be closed. If you want more info about the subject open a new post.
IMO. That maybe a hard thing to program and if so thanks to the mods for keeping an eye out for them.

To be honest, this sort of thing seems to happen pretty rarely. Is there some sort of genuine harm being done when an old thread is bumped? To me, an old thread bumped is no more a waste of a reader's time than any other thread that reader finds uninteresting, and no more a waste of forum space either. If it was happening on a frequent basis, such that a significant percentage of first page threads were old, it would become an issue, so I understand why the rule exists, but as is, I'm inclined to think forum users are better equipped to decide when exceptions to this rule may be appropriate than an algorithm.

To be honest, this sort of thing seems to happen pretty rarely. Is there some sort of genuine harm being done when an old thread is bumped? To me, an old thread bumped is no more a waste of a reader's time than any other thread that reader finds uninteresting, and no more a waste of forum space either. If it was happening on a frequent basis, such that a significant percentage of first page threads were old, it would become an issue, so I understand why the rule exists, but as is, I'm inclined to think forum users are better equipped to decide when exceptions to this rule may be appropriate than an algorithm.
I think that the posts over 1 year old should be purged. If I am not mistaken all of the posts are kept regardless of age. You say not a waste of space, how about you make a donation to pay for the servers needed keep all of info. These mods do a great job and I would think it would lessen their load a bit also. If you want to find a subject do a search if it is not found open a new post, just that simple. I once found a sales thread from 2007, I think is was, for mod merc . Why would that or any other sales thread need to be saved for that long ?

You have your opinion and mine is different no big deal.

Absolutely agree, no negativity directed at you was intended in any way.

To clarify, my "not a waste of space" comment was in response to your original proposal that old posts be closed. The proposal that old posts be removed from the server has very different cost/benefit tradeoffs. The latter proposal would save space, but would sacrifice much of the history of Entropia.

Just learn to look at the dates first. Make a mental reminder to check dates.

This is getting really out of hand to start deleting old posts. You would loose so much more and gain absolutely nothing.

I'd be happy if things are left as they are.

3.5 - Necroposting
Pointlessly bumping of dormant, inactive threads causes confusion for other members and visitors who may not notice the original thread post date. A thread is considered inactive if there have been no replies in the last four (4) months. Posting in an inactive thread is strongly discouraged, unless there is a very good reason for reactivating the thread. If you feel an issue or topic from an inactive thread deserves renewed discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum or subforum.

This is already addressed, though it does need to be enforced more when it's just an offhand commenting rather than a comment worth reviving an old thread.

Last edited:
...how about you make a donation to pay for the servers needed keep all of info.

Doesn’t MA own the forum? If so, I‘ve ”donated” enough for a pile of servers. Historical threads are the lore of the game and an invaluable source of information when newbies start asking about stupid crap like “Virtual Presidents”.

All forum posts must remain, no matter how old, i have enjoyed reading many necro'd posts and have necro'd a couple myself. It is a history of players interaction with the game

Doesn’t MA own the forum? If so, I‘ve ”donated” enough for a pile of servers. Historical threads are the lore of the game and an invaluable source of information when newbies start asking about stupid crap like “Virtual Presidents”.
If MA does then I have wasted money, but I am pretty sure 711 is the owner as I have received correspondence directly from a person that works for him.

All forum posts must remain, no matter how old, i have enjoyed reading many necro'd posts and have necro'd a couple myself. It is a history of players interaction with the game
Whom exactly told you that all the posts must remain ?? BTW I did not say I don't enjoy an old post from time to time but for sure I do not think old trading etc. should be kept.

I would like to have 711 or Ludvig|MindArk (he is new I think and doing a good job IMO) ring in here as none of us know any of this for sure and they do.

This is already addressed, though it does need to be enforced more when it's just an offhand commenting rather than a comment worth reviving an old thread.
If you are asking about a certain comment in a old post why don't you just do a cut and paste of the comment and start a new thread.

We recently moved to another forum, if a player who hasn't logged in to this forum for a while suddenly does, he simply gets all the threads ever made. That's why you sometimes see old threads reappearing, because somebody replies to ancient threads. This will simply go away over time.

Whom exactly told you that all the posts must remain ?? ...

Why does someone have to say specifically that all the posts must remain?
On the same (lack of) logic, why on earth do we need history books? Whom exactly said that, right?

I think that the posts over 1 year old should be purged....

You are such an example of modern western individuals laziness, selfishness and righteousness, commonly noticed over the Interned as Karens and he-Karens (I`ll explain below).
You can`t be arsed to check a damn date, so it`s easy, no matter what other people want / need, let`s delete the posts, right?

No, it`s not like this.
There are people here who want to read old posts, to understand and remember something that was part of their lives for so many years.
There are people here that want to put things and people in context.
There are people here who want to understand or remember how things evolved, same as with our real life history.

If you don`t want to do this, fine, check the damn dates and don`t read the posts, no one is denying your right to do as you please.
But if you`re asking for the old posts to be deleted, you`re denying others the right to do as they please!!! (laziness, selfishness and righteousness).

So it`s not a simple matter of opinion. Learn to curve your opinions around other people rights, don`t place yourself in the center of the Universe and above any other people!

Last edited:
I am surprised at CozMoDan's response. I have always read your posts with interest and considered you a valuable member of the forum. Your suggestion is on par with burning all the history books, why would anyone other than someone who wanted to change peoples perception of history want to do that. For your information, I pulled a 7 year old post from PCF last week and posted it up on my societies Discord channel as it contained information about a current discussion we where having.

If MA does then I have wasted money, but I am pretty sure 711 is the owner as I have received correspondence directly from a person that works for him.
It does belong to Mindark. From the 2015 financial report: "On January 1, 2015 Planet Calypso Forum was sold from the subsidiary Planet Calypso AB to the parent company, which now manages the operation of the forum." It appears on every financial report since then as an asset.

As on the topic, I believe that everything should be preserved, even ancient trade posts as they hold an interesting market history (unless the seller deleted all content after the sale, but that can't be helped).

WELL, I guess I am in a monitory so the mods can close this thread. I did not realize that I would be branded a rebel and called names. I think some would like to tar and feather me. Well I do remember one old quote "Sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me".

From what I have seen on other art/graphic/animation related forums if a thread remains inactive for 12 months (some even just 6 months) then it is locked automatically. I don't think threads need to be purged since it is a part of EU history plus older threads can be linked if the context is appropriate for a new thread. I don't think its difficult to implement such a time lock feature on inactive threads but based on EU it might be worth extending those time periods longer than 12 months.

I don't think any one is calling you names or branding you a rebel. Perhaps if you had a genuine reason for your OP then players could debate the pros and cons of your point. Players (including myself) have given real reasons for not deleting old posts but the argument for deleting them just doesn't seem valid. I cant remember how much I sold my Melee weapons for a couple of years back, but I could check my old PCF threads and find out. In fact I sold adjusted vigi a couple of years ago and just bought a new set back. I checked my old posts to see what I sold it for to compare against what I paid for it this time around. The historical pcf threads also contain earlier video footage of game play and other interesting links such as the large sketch board of original mobs and the large sketch board of various proposed space craft. This was referred back to recently when players were asking about the development of space and what had happened to the originally proposed craft

...and all of the good stories from the old days. I haven’t checked, but I hope everything was saved during the transfer.

WELL, I guess I am in a monitory so the mods can close this thread. I did not realize that I would be branded a rebel and called names. I think some would like to tar and feather me. Well I do remember one old quote "Sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me".

It’s the internet, of course you will be branded and called names :laugh:

Lock yes, but purge ?
hell no!
Who the hell would think of a purge ?
History must be conserved.

I am surprised at CozMoDan's response. I have always read your posts with interest and considered you a valuable member of the forum.

Not me and this type of thread does not surprise me coming from this so-called rebel.

planetcalypsoforum is a treasure trove of historical info about how Entropia has evolved since about 2005. It's the only place where you can find this data since such things as EBN announcements and Entropiagateway have long since been deleted (afaik) from the main Entropia website.

If you delete that stuff here, it'll be gone forever as I don't believe anyone is saving this stuff anywhere else.

planetcalypsoforum is a treasure trove of historical info about how Entropia has evolved since about 2005. It's the only place where you can find this data since such things as EBN announcements and Entropiagateway have long since been deleted (afaik) from the main Entropia website.

If you delete that stuff here, it'll be gone forever as I don't believe anyone is saving this stuff anywhere else.
The wikipedia of this forum should know (@mastermesh) or have it all i bet :D

I don't think any one is calling you names or branding you a rebel.

Hehe I don't think you have read all the posts.

The best idea I saw above is the "Lock Thread" after a certain amount time . That way a person could start a new post with questions instead of just some comment like "I don't agree" and no other comment.

Back