Project Entropia

People just refuse to admit that the "spark" was not in PE but in your youth, that's what you really miss. 8-bit graphics feels much better than 4K VR when the bad back and knees aren't part of the experience :)
Love your comment, I really do. :)

Now, to play a devil's advocate, human brain is an adaptation machine. Which means we can do something as counter intuitive as enjoy 8 bit graphics and even anime. And eventually totally forget that it "doesn't look real"... all that remains is game-play.
Also, back when it started we were all equally noobs. At least compared to today. Lots of people at the same level means lots of chances to play together and have this cuddly community feeling.
Which we will never get back and that's not MA's fault ofc. It's just life, that's how it always goes, inevitably...

Anyway, I really really loved the overall art style of the old PE. Even the (hideous) avatars were somehow cool. Almost all of it, all that old style, is gone now. In my book that's a huge loss. They should have recognized what they had and kept it, in the new versions of the engine/graphics. O well, one can dream...

Last edited:
i knew a friend was playing since beta
i still think today that i've waited too long to join,
but the day came,
i bought my first computer just to play this game,
1st PC, 1st game... the hype was double
the newbie arrival area with official waiting you
1st kill combibo on the beach
a new world !!
later Wof team cuba with Lodidodi
1st 5 digit HoF on Hogglo with Sheryo
trox were giving big swirly every day.

Xen said "Like a romantic relationship, the feelings of the early years will not return."
i can't agree more

Xen said "Like a romantic relationship, the feelings of the early years will not return."
i can't agree more

I played WoW when it first came in 2005, 2006 maybe. And it was magic. And so much fun.
Blizzard then re-released the classic WoW again back in 2018, And it was magic once again, and so much fun. Because that game was simply brilliant.
Not everything is Nostalgia, or connected to our old lives and circumstances. But a lot is.

Old PE was smaller, and more people were together in a smaller area. There were more sense of community.
Now, EU has been expanded too much (in terms of land area). I don't know if less people are playing it (I guess so), but all the players
are spread out on several planets. And huge planets, that is. The social aspects that used to be are gone.

In 2004 i went to an internet cafe in Bucharest and the entire room was laughing how bad the game was looking. That internet cafe was owned by Murka (maybe some old of you remember him).
wtf! You have internet in Bucharest? ;)

People just refuse to admit that the "spark" was not in PE but in your youth, that's what you really miss. 8-bit graphics feels much better than 4K VR when the bad back and knees aren't part of the experience :)

Why does this feel like a dagger through my soul?
You are right, I started playing first in my early twenties and I just came back because of some midlife crisis thing I am still trying to work out.

Ahh, PE, it was the best game back then because we forgot all the bad stuff. Also it was such a new concept and exciting. Now it feels like boring number crushing. I wonder how many accountants play nowadays :laugh:

I played WoW when it first came in 2005, 2006 maybe. And it was magic. And so much fun.
Blizzard then re-released the classic WoW again back in 2018, And it was magic once again, and so much fun. Because that game was simply brilliant.
Not everything is Nostalgia, or connected to our old lives and circumstances. But a lot is.

Old PE was smaller, and more people were together in a smaller area. There were more sense of community.
Now, EU has been expanded too much (in terms of land area). I don't know if less people are playing it (I guess so), but all the players
are spread out on several planets. And huge planets, that is. The social aspects that used to be are gone.
Definitely one of the biggest aspects I miss is the sense of community. People just hanging out and chatting etc. There's no "wonder" any more either, it's just min/max and as someone else said more of a game for accountants.

Very very true... And that spark was not actually the game, it was how people felt, exploring, discovering, diving into the unknown, learning new places, new names every day, having a strange feeling you will never get to the bottom of it all... but now you know most of it so it can never be the same. That's how you feel when you're younger at heart and discover a new universe...
Some people feel today what we felt in 2006 or 2004 or 2003, then they come to the forums and read about how shit it is today and how amazing it was back then... sounds familiar? Try to guide the younger generations instead of trashing their experience. Help them experience what you experienced "back in the day".

Back