Q&A Answers (Oct 06)

Marco|SDS

Prowler
This is the replies from the Q&A questions to the lead programmers. The replies are based on the information currently available and every reply can be subject to changes later on, based on new information or events.

Please note that many of the questions in the Q-thread were design/support-oriented and are therefore not in this one. More Q&A's will follow later on.

--

What kind of programming and other improvements are coming regarding PvP and future Land Grabs? (PVP framing, reviving after being killed, timing of LG, jumping, target box etc.)

• With the new physics engine in place it'll be easier to hit other participants, due to increased updating of positions between peers. Other than that, the exact rules in the next LG phase is not yet determined, other than there will be several changes in order to update the system based on the possibilities now available in Entropia, that wasn't there when the first LG took place (like personal teleportation, to mention one).

I wanted to know why you guys sometimes take so long to fix some bugs that seem to be easy to fix?

• Some of the older systems are not up-to-date with our current design guidelines. When fixing bugs in these systems, it's more difficult to predict side effects that can ultimately result in a new bug for the end user. Thus we avoid modifying them until a new design proposal is in place.

Are there currently specific plans to parallelize EU so that the complete freezes while eg opening storage, auction, inventory, map, skills, etc etc etc, don't happen, and so that the bigger and more complex client each VU can run optimally on new processors (70% CPUs from Intel will be multicore by year's end)? If not, why not, and if so, when?

• Rewriting systems that are based on synchronous event handling to asynchronous is a big undertaking, which is the main reason we’ve not already done it for the user interface backend (which is responsible for the freezes mentioned). Specific plans to further parallelize the EU client are in the roadmap for next year.

Will EU be available in a windowed mode, and if so, can you tell us when that time frame might be?

• The EU client already works in windowed mode, but this option is not yet available for the end user. This can easily be implemented if such a demand exists.

How many programmers are there? How many senior developers, junior developers, male, female? Are some working on new features while others are fixing bugs?
In other words: programmers, tell a little something about yourself and your team.

• The team working at MindArk, which to date consists of eleven programmers, is very experienced and I wouldn’t call any of them junior developers =). We all come from different backgrounds in the computer industry with everything between five and ten years of professional software development experience, from the corporate sector to games development. Normally each individual is responsible for fixing bugs in the systems they have knowledge about, but the distribution of tasks varies a lot from one VU to the next. We don’t have specific roles in the sense mentioned in the question.

What do the programmers think is the biggest problem with the current engine?

• I am not sure how the interpret “current engine” here, but the main problem for any large-scale software project is the constantly growing code base. New and effective design strategies are sometimes difficult to implement due to massive amounts of legacy code that must be maintained and patched to work. We try very hard to eliminate parts of the engine that are considered out-of-date or working poorly.

How do the programmers plan to deal with (unnecessary) bloat in EU, which usually contributes to lag, such as this instance of the old "PE Guide" button control lurking inside the ClientLoader, seeing that the notion of redesigning the program from scratch has been rejected

• It is correct that rewriting the whole code base for EU is out of the question, as it would involve tremendous cost for little return. Here at MindArk it’s everyone’s responsibility to clean out unused resources and code. The notion that lag is due to unused resources is not very likely however.

When will be the memory leak fixed ?

• Identifying memory leaks is a difficult task and I cannot give any approximated time schedule when all leaks will be completely removed.

Is it possible to change this drag & drop system to just simple click system? Like, when you drag your armor on, EU freezes a littlebit everytime. Same thing with TT when you buy ammo / bombs / probes. would it be a little lighter to the system?

• The freezing occurs when the avatar’s visualization is updated to reflect the user’s action, and we believe that to be an important feature. There is some room for optimization though.

Haven't read any of this, but my major question would be whether the devs use any Change Management implementation?
If not, why not?
If so, when was it implemented, and how come certain bugs pop up again after they were fixed during the last VU?

• Bugs reappear due to changes in code and not because of the bug-list management. Bugs that tend to come back often usually reside in older systems that are difficult to maintain and enhance.

What is the purpose of the "this mob cannot be damaged" condition, and why can a mob in that condition still damage me?
This is a problem that is costing us participants thousand's of dollars every year.

• The reason for this behaviour is to avoid exploits of mobs that have gotten stuck in the environment. Sometimes this logic malfunctions and tags healthy and free mobs as not damageable. There is a fix out that should correct this problem.

I've noticed for me that the biggest challenges to overcome are often unseen by users while the simplest tasks are seen as miraculous breakthroughs by the end user.
Which feature/function of EU was the biggest challenge to implement but goes mostly unnoticed by participants and conversely what was the easiest feature/function to implement that is heralded as a great improvement?

• The wormhole implementation and effects was probably the biggest (and most impressive) system that is experienced by the smallest amount of users.

How is the divide between developers working on new features and those working on bug fixes set as a %?

• The time spent by each developer on fixing bugs depends very much on the impact the previous VU had on the community. There are as many answers as there are VU’s to this question I’m afraid.

Can you give some precision on the test before each VU
* they are you carried out on dedicated servers or the same servers
that the real one environment
* how much people for make this tests
* which kind of test carried out you...
Think of seeking another solution to improve these tests because force is to note that many bug appears (Re appears) has each VU.
It's very hard for a player to understand how some bug can't be see.

• The tests are carried out on an equivalent park as the servers running the real environment. Our QA department goes through most scenarios of every system that is likely to have been affected by the recent changes in code. Developers test the systems they are currently working with, and should guarantee their functionality when the VU heads for QA.

When will I be able to change game resolution to match monitors resolution?

• This hasn’t been decided yet, but you can try to change the aspect ratio (Login Window/Options) to better match that of your monitor.

How many servers are currently being used to run Entropia Universe. How many meters of cable is used and whats the total power consumption.

• I am afraid we cannot disclose that information, even if I did know the length of cables or the power consumption. =)

W00t time to read

woohoo, 2nd view! :) Nice to see this show up today! :D

thx for the answers marco, its a good to see com's getting back to normal :D

its good for us to be able to see things from the dev's point of view and i am sure will help us to understand some of the problems they face

cheers

Its still alive :D

..I got only 3 words for the developers at MA:

shops
pets
mindessence

(thx for the Q/A :) )

Generally a better Q&A than last time but still some questions didnt get quite a really good answer.

but one thing was a bit of bs...UNLESS you have upgraded that by like a lot.. what i'm reffering to is this
Can you give some precision on the test before each VU
* they are you carried out on dedicated servers or the same servers
that the real one environment
* how much people for make this tests
* which kind of test carried out you...
Think of seeking another solution to improve these tests because force is to note that many bug appears (Re appears) has each VU.
It's very hard for a player to understand how some bug can't be see.

• The tests are carried out on an equivalent park as the servers running the real environment. Our QA department goes through most scenarios of every system that is likely to have been affected by the recent changes in code. Developers test the systems they are currently working with, and should guarantee their functionality when the VU heads for QA.

ok i know it was a few years back since i was intern there but this is not even close to what was used then to test the stuff.. but as i said u might have upgraded but i doubt it :rolleyes:

Legion said:
ok i know it was a few years back since i was intern there but this is not even close to what was used then to test the stuff.. but as i said u might have upgraded but i doubt it

A lot of things happens in "a few years", especially at MA. I reckon you have quite obsolete information if you base it on how it was then.

What is the purpose of the "this mob cannot be damaged" condition, and why can a mob in that condition still damage me?
This is a problem that is costing us participants thousand's of dollars every year.

• The reason for this behaviour is to avoid exploits of mobs that have gotten stuck in the environment. Sometimes this logic malfunctions and tags healthy and free mobs as not damageable. There is a fix out that should correct this problem.

I fail to see how that was supposed to answear the question. :dunno:

Will EU be available in a windowed mode, and if so, can you tell us when that time frame might be?

• The EU client already works in windowed mode, but this option is not yet available for the end user. This can easily be implemented if such a demand exists.
If it's so easy to do, then why is it not in place already? How could Mindark not see that there is a demand for this? :hammer:

Very nice Marco .. .ty for the information and your time .... we know you can do better though ... ;)

I'll wait and read the next pack of answers....

:tiphat:

Marco|MindArk said:

Yes plz :). ATM I use 3dAnalize. I dont get windowed mode, but at least EU keeps running when I press alttab.

I think this is a VERY wanted feature.

Witte said:
Yes plz :). ATM I use 3dAnalize. I dont get windowed mode, but at least EU keeps running when I press alttab.

Agree! :wise:

Is this the final answer list Marco? I don't see an answer to any of my questions?

Witte said:

Totally agree!!! Make it happen Marco! Window mode would be awesome for those that multitask a lot and want interact in EU at the same time. Or can we get a command line option for running in window mode `till you guys implement it in the client loader?:D

Nice to see some info coming from the "core" of MA rather than just comunity relations

(no offence Marco ;) )

Well done MA!

I would be very pleased to run EU in a window. Please enable this feature as soon as possible. It would make life so much easier for us.. er, for those of us who want it, that is.

Sincerely,
Donald

Marco|MindArk said:
A lot of things happens in "a few years", especially at MA. I reckon you have quite obsolete information if you base it on how it was then.

As i said it could have changed, but from what i learnt about MA during that time and from being here since beta i am/was hesitant to belive such a thing. A sidenote here though.. i dont see you as "MA", that is another person ;) Althought you can be a bit of a hmm not sure if this fits exactly but a bit of a "bully" sometimes i know you still want what is best for PE. By bully i mean the way you spoke in that thread about whatever it was again but u sounded kinda angry so that is what i mean... :D

Yes PLEASE enable the windowed mode. Then there would be no reason for me to be tempted to run 3rd party apps to view certain forums while playing :)

Windowed Mode!

Certainly a demand, many threads about it thru out these forums...

So my question back to you Marco would be....

What constitutes a demand for MA?

Cause for me just being a player, it seems pretty straight forward to me that the demand exists.

Regards,

NetStalker said:
Windowed Mode!

Certainly a demand, many threads about it thru out these forums...

So my question back to you Marco would be....

What constitutes a demand for MA?

Cause for me just being a player, it seems pretty straight forward to me that the demand exists.

Regards,

I think it's down to the number of support requests they get.

Yes the demand exists for windowed mode! Please implement!
As to the general trend of the answers it seems that a lot of things are hard to do, I'd suggest hiring 5 more programmers (just dont lower the loot ;) )

AkiranBlade said:

OK, fair enough, so to get MA to recognize the demand, we have to spam the support queues?

Does that make any sense to anyone?

Support is already overwhelmed with legitimate issues, that we are all aware of. So to "register" our demand, we would have to make a bad situation worse by sending in support cases for feature requests?

I dont buy it.

BAH....

Community Rep = Info to developers that the community wants.

recent converstation-

Marco: -hmm, looks like the lads in the forums would like a windowed mode.-
*pokes head into next cube*
Marco: "yo development team, these lads over here want windowed mode!:
Developer1: "no problem Mr. M. we have had that developed since 1936, should be easy to turn on in the next VU, we just have not seen the demand for it"
Marco: "Great! Ill let them know that No is your answer, but ill wait another week to post it."
Developer1: "you da boss Mr. M"
Marco: "I love my job"

-meanwhile over in support-

Support Dude1: "WTFBBQ!!! with all these enhancement requests all the sudden??"
*CTRL A, DELETE*
Support Dude1: "Dont these people know we are support and not developers?"

NetStalker said:
OK, fair enough, so to get MA to recognize the demand, we have to spam the support queues?

Does that make any sense to anyone?

Support is already overwhelmed with legitimate issues, that we are all aware of. So to "register" our demand, we would have to make a bad situation worse by sending in support cases for feature requests?

I dont buy it.

BAH....

Community Rep = Info to developers that the community wants.

recent converstation-

Marco: -hmm, looks like the lads in the forums would like a windowed mode.-
*pokes head into next cube*
Marco: "yo development team, these lads over here want windowed mode!:
Developer1: "no problem Mr. M. we have had that developed since 1936, should be easy to turn on in the next VU, we just have not seen the demand for it"
Marco: "Great! Ill let them know that No is your answer, but ill wait another week to post it."
Developer1: "you da boss Mr. M"
Marco: "I love my job"

-meanwhile over in support-

Support Dude1: "WTFBBQ!!! with all these enhancement requests all the sudden??"
*CTRL A, DELETE*
Support Dude1: "Dont these people know we are support and not developers?"

I'm struggling not to laugh here, I really am.

"1936" :laugh:
"you da boss Mr." :laugh:

Comedy.

Thinking about this, I think it would be a good idea to actively engage the community in providing opinion polls for new ideas and requests like this.

So idea x comes in.

Marco see's it, then creates and official post, which obtains higher reverence than other polls or a special section on each page to make it easy to see them. (Lock it for 0 discussion if needs be, but be clear in the poll post)

Then the many people that agree with the request or idea answer simply Yes or No.

No need to spam Support. Enough people post on EF to make a good estimation as to what %age of participants agree to an idea.

I shut up now before in addition to the No ATH and No Profit buttons pressed I get the no Globals button pressed on me too.

Thank you for the insight, Marco! It's truly appreciated. :thumbup:

Regarding the 'Window mode' question, should we start a Poll thread, and leave it open for some time? Anyone want to start it? (Not me, I'm fine with the existing setup...) :cool:

AkiranBlade said:
LOL :D I WANT IT!!! :)

***rushes off to write a suport case***

Jakk said:
Regarding the 'Window mode' question, should we start a Poll thread, and leave it open for some time? Anyone want to start it? :cool:

Somebody who can and know how to; please do this. :)

Donald said:
I would be very pleased to run EU in a window. Please enable this feature as soon as possible. It would make life so much easier for us.. er, for those of us who want it, that is.

Sincerely,
Donald
and for those of us at work and the boss walks in 18 seconds is to long to wait to get rid of the screen if it is windowed i can just drop it to the task bar and keep on working nods nods yea boss that was work i was doing i have no idea why you heard gun shots comming from my office

PE was in windowed mode long time ago , MA forbiden it suposed for security issue that may happen...
Now we got a chef coder that say they dont know why its not windowed but they can change it if we ask for ...

For sure we ask for .... its a recurent ask we got 10 time a day...
Its very boring that i can not read forum or change my song player because MA locked keybord too (like if that change anything...).
And we learn its very easy "feature" to make ... sure it is , just a cross to add or remouve in compiler to alow or not that comand line....

As i speak about comand line , i can not see all new comand in my comand line , but i still read my password and loguin.Can we have it the other way , because that a hacker know i run PE with AA *2 or *4 i realy dont care , but that he can read my pass get on nerve a bit...

Etopia said:
As i speak about comand line , i can not see all new comand in my comand line , but i still read my password and loguin.Can we have it the other way , because that a hacker know i run PE with AA *2 or *4 i realy dont care , but that he can read my pass get on nerve a bit...

awfully true!!
I must say it's the ONLY online "game" I've ever seen that keep the login+pass after launch it :wise:
think 'bout it MA!

Back