Question: Do you skill evade and dodge only when you get hit?

Goosfraba

Mature
Society
Victory
Lunareth Luna Moon
Quick question. Do you only gain skill in evade and dodge when the mobs hit you or do you get skills even if they miss or you evade/dodge the attack?

Basically trying to figure out if it might be counterproductive to use a ring that increases evade/dodge until I actually got some levels in it.

/Uther

In my experience you need dodge/evade level >= mob level to take advantage of rings and armor set buffs. If you never evade a mob, 20 % of zero is still zero.

You get skill when they hit. More dmg = higher chance of getting skill afaik.

Every attack of a mob or player results in a chance of getting Evade or Dodge as long as it's NOT a miss. At least that's what I've seen over the years.

In other words a miss is non-productive for your avatar. I'm pretty sure this is also true for your offence, so if you use a weapon and miss the mob/player (i.e., you shoot in the air or see the yellow "MISS") you have no chance to get skills. Though, with the yellow "MISS" your tool/weapon still decays as if you hit.

(If a mob misses you nothing of your equipment decays)

Then there's this other rule where you don't get skill points at all after being in combat with the same mob one way or the other for several minutes. An exception for this are event mobs I guess.

Again: I'm talking about chances here, not actually getting skill points.

How Evade/Dodge works I think there is a range of how much you can evade/dodge, so you do have a chance to evade/dodge a superior mob, even if that chance is slim. On the other end of the scale ubers can get hit by a puny-mob as evade/dodge don't work up to 100%. However, in that case punies are also likely to miss so the actual number of hits is very low. I haven't heard of a naked uber being taken down by a puny :)

Feel free to correct me

Quick question. Do you only gain skill in evade and dodge when the mobs hit you or do you get skills even if they miss or you evade/dodge the attack?

Basically trying to figure out if it might be counterproductive to use a ring that increases evade/dodge until I actually got some levels in it.

/Uther

Short answer yes! you get skills when the mob misses you. I have observed this countless times maybe cause I am mostly melee and always watching skill lines. The mob could never hit you and you still will get defensive skills.

Also each mob has a certain amount of defensive skills to give. This was observed back in the day doing suicide skilling on large mobs. You would skill on them till they were dry then turret them and grab another mob. If a mob is dry then no one can get any defensive skills on it. Probably another reason why the death timer was added because fun was detected.

If it did't work this way then the higher evader you got the less skill procs you would get which doesn't make sense. So you get skills on the actual attack doesn't matter whether it hits you or not. As long as that mob has defensive skills to offer.

For details on how rings work, what % chance mobs have to miss and anything else about Evader/Dodge in detail refer to this thread for some reading
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...w-about-Evade-but-were-too-lazy-to-search-for

Last edited:
Back