Questions - Alf Svensson Interview

Dion Red Strike

Stalker
Society
SoF
Dion Red Strike
Hello!

While I'm sitting here editing the interview with David Simmonds (hehe, I spelled it correctly this time David), I thought I would let you know about my next interview, and ask for more community input as far as questions go.

I will possibly be interviewing Alf Svensson. Alf is the main guy behind world building and graphics. Reports indicate that he created the Agro based on Frank (I've been told to specifically ask about who the umbra's are based on).

A lot of the questions previously posed for David's interview were met with great responses from David. I was able to ask a LOT of commmunit members questions in that interview. So, give me some more great questions!

Now, once again, I will try to only ask questions that Alf can answer. I'm sure there's a lot of questions to be had in regards to that subject (And I already have a ton in my head). I imagine he won't have any clue on balancing issues, mod fap drops, and probably can't tell us what new and cool item he's designing (I will try though).

Also, I can't say anything yet, but there may be a suprise (depending on timing) with this interview. I was just given the line "If we time it right, we might be able to".

Regards,

Red
'The (un)Official MA Interviewer'

EDIT: Some questions I will be asking;

When we will see some pictures of the new content for CryEngine?

Will there be any opportunity for the community to be involved in the CE2 content? Perhaps by way of a small design a mob competition using a popular 3D design tool?

When should we expect weapons to get a face lift?

When will my viking be turned back into looking like the Swedish flag (MORE YELLOW PLEASE!)?

How many people are working on the redesign of Entropia for CE2?

Trees - will they remain ghosts or become solid?

How high a bribe would it take to get yourself a gun with the looks of an old time plasma rifle? Or a fireforge, or a sollomate carbine, or a white FreanD, or a gold EWE handgun.

If you (Alf) would have to make an estimate, how long do you think it will be before we will see a new graphics engine, after the coming cryengine?

What real life and fictional sources have inspired the style and structure of Calypso?

Are there any nuances of your vision that you have been unable to capture with Gamebryo that will be possible with CE2?

What's your favorite part about the capabilities CE2? Your least favorite?

When will the Far Northern areas and Far Eastern areas of Amethera Continent that are Currently closed be opened up to the Players?

The Description of Guran Dall Camp South of Cape Corinth hints to a "Third Continent" on Calypso Can you give us any information on this?

What was your Most Memorable Programing Glitch in the time that you have worked at MA?

What is your Favorite Mob and City/Area In EU?

Have you considered a Universe museum of sorts where one could go and see "retro Calypso" scenes from the past?

Will we get more weather?

Will we need to re-do our avatars with CE2?
Plus more I won't mention... no need spoiling the fun :)

~Red

Last edited:
alf is behind graphics? ah oki

i'd like to know what he had been taking when the idea of the borum was born

alf is behind graphics? ah oki

I think I like that better than the umbra question ;) Better yet, what was his inspiration ;)

Woah that was quick :eek:

Hm... "Who are the Feffoids based on?" :rolleyes:

Woah that was quick :eek:

Hm... "Who are the Feffoids based on?" :rolleyes:

I'm trying for one every week or 2.. I'm a busy guy... This is just called advanced planning on my part ;)

Edit: I just had a thought for a new thread...

Or more generally.. why is almost everything in the game incredibly phallic? Perhaps the design dept. needs to get laid more?

I'd like to know;

1) When we will see some prospective shots of the new content for CryEngine2

2) Will we be able to customise our items like we can with clothes, colouring, markings etc?

3) Will there be any opportunity for the community to be involved in the CE2 content? Perhaps by way of a small design a mob competition using a popular 3D design tool?

That's all for now.

Or more generally.. why is almost everything in the game incredibly phallic? Perhaps the design dept. needs to get laid more?

Sry but what does "phallic" mean? :rolleyes:

All programmers/graphic designers/network administrators need to get laid more :D:silly2:

I'd like to know;

2) Will we be able to customise our items like we can with clothes, colouring, markings etc?

3) Will there be any opportunity for the community to be involved in the CE2 content? Perhaps by way of a small design a mob competition using a popular 3D design tool?

That's all for now.

Good questions...

the answer to #3 is yes and sandbox2 :)

I only know this because sandbox2 is the editor for crysis... play with it, enjoy, have fun :)

Oh yes I bump those :D

Would be nice with a competition that I can be in, some nice price and the ability to contribute to the game ;)

before I get into shit for how I know that answer above is yes, it's because I'm editing the David interview now ;)

armors

Why do the armors look like the r made in MS Paint ? even on full details

Another great interview in the works it seems. + rep

Will MindArk ever open up collaborative design with the participants in EU either through a competition (like the video competition) or allow a system where users can submit design concepts other than hoping an MA development team member stumbles upon it in the wishlist area of EF?

We have had many VUs that have shown graphic improvements of all types to mobs, clothes, and avatars, when should we expect weapons to get a face lift?

Will space ships of the future(when space flight is implemented) retain the first person perspective aspect like the current ships or is Mindark aiming for something different?

Good questions...

the answer to #3 is yes and sandbox2 :)

I only know this because sandbox2 is the editor for crysis... play with it, enjoy, have fun :)

My question is more about MindArk using Community developed content in the released version, by way of either adhoc submission or a competition. Playing with sandbox is not what I meant by contributing.

Last edited:
cause your computer isnt good enough ;)

yea .. have you ever played Guild Wars or WoW or maybe Anarchy Online , Planet Side ? or any other mmorpg ? cuz i have played a few and i have never seen amors worst than in EU they really look like they r painted , no depth , no shadows ..basicaly NO DETAILS! i have seen better armors made on a white paper

Here is one will the Crysis engine have graphics equal to the Crysis game, and if not how close will they be?

Is MA working on not only the translation of EU for other languages but also adjusting the graphics to suit the the translations, many translated words don't have the same size as their english counterparts but the buttons and space for text in EU doesn't seem to automaticly adjust to the size of words wich creates some strange effects sometimes and gives a rather amateuristic look of EU in other languages.

yea .. have you ever played Guild Wars or WoW or maybe Anarchy Online , Planet Side ? or any other mmorpg ? cuz i have played a few and i have never seen amors worst than in EU they really look like they r painted , no depth , no shadows ..basicaly NO DETAILS! i have seen better armors made on a white paper

It's your graphics card bud, the EU armors look great.

You seeing armor like this?

vikingindoors.JPG

Okay, question time. :)

x) Is everything as we know it being redesigned with the looming CryEngine update?
-x) If not, then what is not being redesigned. ;)
--x) Or if it's easier, what is being redesigned

x) Was there made any visual update at all to the mob Biffoid, when it changed it's name to Maffoid?

x) Trees - will they remain ghosts or become solid?

x) How high a bribe would it take to get yourself a gun with the looks of an old time plasma rifle? Or a fireforge, or a sollomate carbine, or a white FreanD, or a gold EWE handgun. :drool: (Threaten him with the might of nAn if he refuse to answer.)

x) If you (Alf) would have to make an estimate, how long do you think it will be before we will see a new graphics engine, after the coming cryengine? (After all we have switched a couple of times already.)

x) How come so many items, such as armor use the same model with just different colors? Or weapons, where a line of weapons will look exactly the same. Or healing toolkits, where there are very few different appearances.

I'm sure I can think of a few more, some other day. ;)

LOL I was like wtf...Alf Svensson, the politician ? Ah

Did Alf invent the "Allophyl Rider" on its own or did MindArk ask for it in 2001 ? (Its ingame since short after stables got introduced and is now standing infront of most stables)

And is he still making Metal Music ? (At the Gates and Oxiplegatz)
(just found that via google)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alf_Svensson_(guitarist)

somehow wikipedia link doesnt work :S
http://tinyurl.com/5vr57l

Last edited:
Will space ships of the future(when space flight is implemented) retain the first person perspective aspect like the current ships or is Mindark aiming for something different?

In related questions (dunno if Alf is the man to answer this though):

1. Will there be many different types of spaceships? (size, design, etc)

2. How customizable will the spaceships be? (I saw somewhere they said you would be able to put furniture in them I think? I want to know about customizability in color, looks, engine (could make different engines that are more or less quick and costs more or less :D), insides, weapons (if you can have that), etc... Basicly "What will be customizable?"

Another one: when will Cryeng VU come??

tnx

Ok,

Here goes my Question :)

Sexy pose, Explain!:yay:

Besides that, Why do women have nipples, borums penises and are the male still eunuchs?

Futhermore some serious questions.

1.Alot of Areas on amethera are graphic wise pretty awesome thinking of Scipu area, Ossecocullom and malcruentor area and the ND's Phasm land.

The only problem here is that these Highly vegetated areas do seem to give me a huge lot of data traffic as most stuff moves a bit aswell. Even in Low graphics mode its killin me while besides that I got no probs.
Could you add a option Disable Vegetation(Not working in pvp3/4 ) so that I could waste my peds there again :)?

1.Alot of Areas on amethera are graphic wise pretty awesome thinking of Scipu area, Ossecocullom and malcruentor area and the ND's Phasm land.

The only problem here is that these Highly vegetated areas do seem to give me a huge lot of data traffic as most stuff moves a bit aswell. Even in Low graphics mode its killin me while besides that I got no probs.
Could you add a option Disable Vegetation(Not working in pvp3/4 ) so that I could waste my peds there again :)?

If I may, I'd like to blame the current Engine for that, I'd say the CE2 implementation may handle that kind of thing more efficiently. But an interesting question I guess we like to see an answer too, although it may stray into Developer territory rather than designer territory.

If I may, I'd like to blame the current Engine for that, I'd say the CE2 implementation may handle that kind of thing more efficiently. But an interesting question I guess we like to see an answer too, although it may stray into Developer territory rather than designer territory.

Maybe, I wouldnt have a clue since im such a pc noob.
But even then with CE2 I will need to get a better rig anyway.

Something else I was wondering if the would be possible to realign some of the hit boxes for some mobs that you can alwats see the healthbar in FP mode.

1 more thing :)
Boots, Almost all boots with the reilly model have lost all of there charm afther last graph update and they do not fit in with the rest of the looks as they are really bulky and round. Any chance these can be adjusted to fit better and not make us look like guys wearing Uggs?

Back