Recording MM / Entropia in general with FRAPS.

Tayonas

Provider
Barry Tayonas Marshall
I decided I would record my MM experience, currently I have no idea what for because Im doing badly :( Anyways ... Im using FRAPS. Never used it before because the game I bought it for I decided not to play and came back here :)

Im half way through my 30 hours and damn ... thats like 300GB it has recorded :/ Im going to buy Sony Vegas Movie Studio or something similar, is there anyway I can convert the files for free right now? Though Im thinking since nothing exciting has happened Ill probably delete them all.

Also I have set fraps to record at half size and 20fps to try and save on space, but its still a lollercopter folder size.

I use xfire, it doesn't do screenys in EU, but if you record video it takes a screeny of the last frame, simple. It has a 'flashback' feature, if your system can handle it, which records the 30 seconds or so before you hit the record button, good for globals/hofs.
Importantly, you can upload interesting clips to the website, it gives you a lot of space, and delete all the files from your PC to free up space.

It's 300Gb of uncompressed video, is it for youtube? or something similar?

You can compress it with VirtualDub for free, like this [ link ]

And then use the compressed files on vegas or whatever you wanna use (in case you do editing)

Not to HIJACK this thread but I had a question to the OP or anybody else that can answer using FRAPS currently.. did you purchase the software or are you still using the free version? I would like to record my hunts but the free version blows ... 30 seconds of video time capturable is lame. How am I supposed to know when I am going to hit a good loot? Should I use something else than FRAPS or pony up and pay for the unlimited version? Basically, is it worth it for FRAPS or can I get something that will actually perform well during record stress?

~Danimal

Not to HIJACK this thread but I had a question to the OP or anybody else that can answer using FRAPS currently.. did you purchase the software or are you still using the free version? I would like to record my hunts but the free version blows ... 30 seconds of video time capturable is lame. How am I supposed to know when I am going to hit a good loot? Should I use something else than FRAPS or pony up and pay for the unlimited version? Basically, is it worth it for FRAPS or can I get something that will actually perform well during record stress?

~Danimal

MSI Afterburner has a video recording function, with little to no performance hit. I have only used it a small amount but it is free, could be a fraps alternative for you.

~Danimal

I bought it, hence the 300GB of files. I dont seem to experience any performance issues with it. Only issue is the size of the files and the fact they need to be encoded to mp4 or whatever. But I wouldnt really have such an issue if I done it every 100 or so gb ... but then again ... do I want all the stuff inbetween?

~Danimal

xfire is free and has many more features than FRAPS. e.g. voice chat with friends. etc. etc.

Yeah Fraps is a beast when it comes to output size. For now, just quick and easy, render it in Windows Movie Maker (you probably already have it if you have a newer Windows install, otherwise you can get it for free to download).

It'll reduce the file size, linking multiple recordings together, allows you to add music or intros, etc. You're not going to be making anything too flashy, as it's free and from Microsoft, but it's what a lot of people I know use for quick game footage videos.

Are you sure that you need to record each second of your EU life?

From site:

10th February 2011 - Fraps 3.2.9 Released
Fraps 3.2 brings a new feature for registered users - loop recording, constantly capture the previous 30 seconds of video.

To start the buffering press and hold the video capture hotkey for a second. The Fraps counter will turn pink to show that video is being cached. When you want to save the action simply tap the capture hotkey and the recording will continue as normal (including the previous 30 seconds of footage).

Never miss a moment again.

Fraps, or it didn't happen!

Sure FRAPS is a beast when it comes to file size. That being said, how much image quality are you prepared to lose through multiple compression passes with capture, edit, and final render?

If the image quality of your final product is of concern, record your raw footage with no compression. Get another hard drive if you need to. If you need to free up room later, you can decide which footage you can affored to take the quality hit on by transcoding to mpeg with virtualdub.

For optimum performance when recording, make sure your OS & Game, swap file, and FRAPS recordings are on seperate PHYSICAL drives. Otherwise your HDD head positioner will be busier than a one armed drummer at a Def Leppard concert, and performance & framerate will suffer.

As far as editing all that raw footage into a cohesive story, I've used both Edius Neo ($200) and Windows Moviemaker (Free) for personal use and they both are OK for casual use. At work, we just switched from Edius Pro Broadcast (Not cheap) to Adobe Premiere (also not cheap).

Adobe Premiere Elements 10 can be had for under 60 bucks. I haven't had a chance to play with this one yet though.

Unless you're looking to lay down multiple audio tracks, more elaborate transitions, etc. Windows Moviemaker does most of what casual editors will want to achieve, and the price is right.

AG

Last edited:
I don't know if its been said but check for any utility's that are paired with your video card. I have a msi hawk 460 and with its overclocking utility came a screen capture and recording app. its a little more robust then Fraps but dose not have the benchmarking features Fraps dose, if your really concerned with that you are better off with passmark anyway.

as a minor tip save the video file to a external or different disk from your os otherwise you slow down your system unnecessarily assuming you are not using a modern ssd or sshd.

Avidemux is also a free option for compressing and editing, I have used it for everything I do with videos. Seems to give less problems too than VirtualDub.

The fact that it's 300GB is actually a good thing, because that means you've got something to work with, instead of some over compressed crud.

Anyway I had the same problem, and it was quite a bit harder to solve than in the past, as for some reason I couldn't install codecs for virtualdub in win 7 x64.

So I found this encoder called handbrake that seems to do a good job of compressing it, but for some odd reason it couldn't hand multiple files. well, that too proved easily solves. Simply use virtualdub direct stream copy to get one large file. I'm not sure how handbrake will handle a 300 GB file though ;)

Anyway, I should think it quite impossible to upload more than 15 minutes to UT unless you pay or something.

Yea, Im just going to delete the files after every session unless something exciting happens ... I dunno what ... But Ive thought about it, whatever 'it' is. I get screens of every global anyways. I think after paying for it I just actually want to use it ... for something ... anything ... so I will use it for this.

Wasnt sure if the files were too big since I have it on half screen size and 20fps. The video from that is decent enough though.

10th February 2011 - Fraps 3.2.9 Released
Fraps 3.2 brings a new feature for registered users - loop recording, constantly capture the previous 30 seconds of video.

Never miss a moment again.

:yay: Glad I dropped in to comment, didn't know about this.

Been using Fraps for years, I've got too many screens from 2002/4 with 'fraps.com' on em, stopped being a tight arse and made good by coughing up the pretty small amount, since then I've had numerous major updates such as Windows 7 compatibility. If I'd instead paid a 10th of a penny for every screen FRAPS would still have paid for itself.

Yea, Im just going to delete the files after every session unless something exciting happens ... I dunno what ... But Ive thought about it, whatever 'it' is. I get screens of every global anyways. I think after paying for it I just actually want to use it ... for something ... anything ... so I will use it for this.

Wasnt sure if the files were too big since I have it on half screen size and 20fps. The video from that is decent enough though.

Actually, what does it do exactly, when you chose half screen size? Does it simply half horizontal and vertical resolution?

For example I would love to be able to play in full HD while it only capturing 720p, which is what I need anyway, but that is hardly half size, nor is any other standard resolution.

Yep, half resolution.

Well, suppose it could be useful if you wanted to limit your self to 360p (second lowest UT standard) and be satisfied with gameplay in 720p. 360p is usually enough for minecraft videos and such, so not completely useless.

Intresting thx for the tips :)

Well, suppose it could be useful if you wanted to limit your self to 360p (second lowest UT standard) and be satisfied with gameplay in 720p. 360p is usually enough for minecraft videos and such, so not completely useless.

It only records in that resolution. You still play the game normally. It just means when you replay it, it is half the res. TBH unless your replaying it full screen and not windowed, you wont notice, cus you cant. The replay windowed at native size it looks perfect.

It only records in that resolution. You still play the game normally. It just means when you replay it, it is half the res. TBH unless your replaying it full screen and not windowed, you wont notice, cus you cant. The replay windowed at native size it looks perfect.

I'm really not sure what you're getting at here. If you decrease the resolution you also decrease the quality and also size actually, but of course it can be scaled up again, but not without loss of quality.

In any case the only thing that really interested me regarding this was the meaning of the term half resolution. The thing is that when you half both horizontal and vertical resolution the decrease in resolution is actually a factor of 4 (2 squared) and not 2, which is the normal understanding of the term "half" I believe.

It would have been interesting if the resolution was actually halfed, because then 1080p (1920*1080) would become ~1360*768 (closest legal resolution) or closest proper 16:9 resolution 720p (1280*720).

Now that would indeed be useful.

Back