Reviving your dead video card!

wizz

Elite
Society
The Ministry
Wizzina Wizz Pale Moon
Howdy folks,

This life hack I just needed to share with you.

About 4 years ago I upgraded my video card to continue playing entropia on high graphic settings.
But on all good things comes an end and yesterday while I was playing entropia the end came to my trusty GTX780.
All of a sudden my screen went black.
Tried all I could to get my card working again, but to no avail. I could only use my onboard graphics.
So after 4 years, I guessed it was time for a new one. To bad since I hate to spend money! :silly2:

While reading the internet for possible fixes I came across the "oven trick"
http://www.overclockers.com/the-oven-trick-repairing-your-broken-video-card-with-an-oven/

So I thought, well let's take my tinfoil hat off and give it a try.
Since my card is dead anyways I have little to lose.

So, I took my card out of the PC. Took off the heating sink and bottom plate.
Heated the oven 150 degrees celcius and shoved it in the oven for 10 minutes.

I let it cool down again, screwed it all back together, shoved it back into my PC, and nearly fell of my chair in surprise.

It works again!

In all it took me about 30 minutes total to fix this.

So happy now!! :wtg:

So, for all you folks who ever think they have a dead card, do try this at home.
PS, get an old oven just in case of all the health warnings. :wise:

It's reflowing the solder, I've seen a similar trick for dead xbox 360's where you remove the fan and leave it turned on for 10-15 minutes.

You'll probably find it'll die again eventually, same as my xbox.

I have a radeon 7850.. That blew up.. Going to try this..
My youngest Son is still with An old geforce 8600 .

I have some one seen trying this with MoBo, and the components on the lower side just fell of.
GL
:popcorn:

I have a radeon 7850.. That blew up.. Going to try this..
My youngest Son is still with An old geforce 8600 .

Cool, let us know if it worked :)

The owen is to be used before the constructor warranty expire, while the card is still working and the goal is to have your card not working anymore. That way , you just have to do a rma then msi and such return you a new gfx of the same class for the new generationj card as they are done producing your older one. Free hardware every two years :)

You need to be carefull with °c as you need to make your card not working without burning all the components or they will say your card as been damaged without proper use.

The owen is to be used before the constructor warranty expire, while the card is still working and the goal is to have your card not working anymore. That way , you just have to do a rma then msi and such return you a new gfx of the same class for the new generationj card as they are done producing your older one. Free hardware every two years :)

You need to be carefull with °c as you need to make your card not working without burning all the components or they will say your card as been damaged without proper use.

This is not a trick, this is cheating :wise:

No no, the oven is used for repairing.

For expiring warranty you can simply use some static electricity.
Go jump on the trampoline before removing your video card. That will do the trick.

well, after the oven my card worked for over a months and died again last week.
:(

So, the oven trick does work, be it a temp fix (which did not really surprise me)

I didnt feel like reanimating my dead card again so decided to buy a "new" second hand one.
So, my gtx780 got his funeral and lets rejoice the birth of my new gtx1060.
:yay:

Back to business, running smooth again.:wtg:

well, after the oven my card worked for over a months and died again last week.
:(

So, the oven trick does work, be it a temp fix (which did not really surprise me)

I didnt feel like reanimating my dead card again so decided to buy a "new" second hand one.
So, my gtx780 got his funeral and lets rejoice the birth of my new gtx1060.
:yay:

Back to business, running smooth again.:wtg:

nice card... gratz!

Back