Sales thread sabotage?

Nanashana

Dominant
Society
Hardcore
Nanashana Nana Itsanai
While its not entirely unexpected on this forum, over the last year or so I've noticed a significant uptick in sales or buying threads that have a large amount of reactions and comments which seem to be more pointed towards sabotaging that particular thread.

While there are some sellers that may be selling at outragous prices, I've also noticed similar trends with items that actually are being priced according to current market rates.

I have a few thoughts and questions:

Is this just thinly veiled market manipulation? While it hasn't happened to me directly, id be pretty pissed if someone was actively working to devalue items im trying to sell either through envy, greed or just plain spite.

And secondly, I've been feeling like theres a need for a more asynchronous targeted trading platform within EU. One that lets you upload csvs (think export of account items page), and lets people make async offers on those items. Given the AH limits and fees, having a 3rd party matchmaking service might fill a currently missing need. Anyone know if this breaks any form of terms of use? All trades obviously would remain ingame.

The only sales post I remember downvoting and seeing a lot of other downvotes and stuff is when someone who got caught botting put up a selling thread for a decent amount of items.

Last edited:
In general, "market manipulation" may be too strong of a category, but I think the underlying sentiment that people try to sabotage trading threads with bias toward their own incentives is a correct one. In certain instances this may be an intentional strategy to manipulate markets, but it is also based on a widespread psychological bias that most of us have, even if we don't want it. I will say that I have caught myself on a number of occasions thinking that, i.e., a buyer offering 50 PED for an item I just bought is far too cheap, only to reflect on that fact that before I bought it, I was thinking that 30 PED for the identical item was far too expensive. And I'm not posting my valuations on any forum in this case; I'm just thinking inconsistent thoughts in my own head, and subsequently trying to correct myself from this bias as best I can.

The only reasonable solution to this is to expect people to respect Rule 5.5, not to expect them to become masters of objectivity in their price assessments. There is this no room to carve out exceptions for sellers posting "outrageous prices" (or even people who got caught botting; there are dedicated avenues for addressing that). "Don't sabotage trading threads unless you find them outrageous" is a breeding ground for morphing the subjective boundaries to match one's own incentives; "don't sabotage trading threads" is much less so.

What you are describing is against PCF rules for trade threads, it’s just not regularly enforced. That is partly why now sellers tend to lock sales threads and require PMs instead.

While its not entirely unexpected on this forum, over the last year or so I've noticed a significant uptick in sales or buying threads that have a large amount of reactions and comments which seem to be more pointed towards sabotaging that particular thread.

While there are some sellers that may be selling at outragous prices, I've also noticed similar trends with items that actually are being priced according to current market rates.

Is this just thinly veiled market manipulation? While it hasn't happened to me directly, id be pretty pissed if someone was actively working to devalue items im trying to sell either through envy, greed or just plain spite.

And secondly, I've been feeling like theres a need for a more asynchronous targeted trading platform within EU. One that lets you upload csvs (think export of account items page), and lets people make async offers on those items. Given the AH limits and fees, having a 3rd party matchmaking service might fill a currently missing need. Anyone know if this breaks any form of terms of use? All trades obviously would remain ingame.
There is 2 susspects from Australia.. well i wont give out names but one particular individual likes to express his opinions about 2.0 wepons on every sinlge sales thread same time selling his own under under 50% effi stuff for milions :D... Specialy sus it was after one of similar guns sold sorry "aperanlty sold" on this forum for also dumb price.

Anayways. One thing for though ... some how always when some one pays over the top for item in this forum 90% or even more nobody have a clue where that item whent to .. only for same item poping up in sales threads 2 weeks later :D

P.S.... Have we forgot about clown who was not able to sell his weak claw for 40k then droped price to what 34/35k for weeks and when finaly sold he tried to convice everyone he sold it for 40k? :D

Last edited:
All the trading in the game is consumed by greed and idiocy. Each item suitable for the Auction definition is sold in the PCF, but items that do not correspond to the Auction have overwhelmed it.

Although this forum cannot compete with the game... it says in the 1st paragraph.

Peppers and tomatoes are sold at auction, and attractive items for sale are sold under the table. This is the reality in this game.

WTS Rubio for 1111% is the same as 1111% for Armatrix, isn't it.

It depends on who makes the sale, but what I'm watching is that it's done to convey importance by throwing a gold fart... at all the buyers of more attractive items are usually unaware because of lack of experience with this item, right. All is a fart on the wind currently in this game.

I always enjoy a bit of flair that gets injected into sales threads. Sure beats the endless sea of "Bump" from the seller.

Even though its against forum rules, I believe free speech and calling out BS from sellers is more important than being a good boy for Ludvig. :)

Well said Nanashana. Appreciate you for speaking up.

I always enjoy a bit of flair that gets injected into sales threads. Sure beats the endless sea of "Bump" from the seller.

Even though its against forum rules, I believe free speech and calling out BS from sellers is more important than being a good boy for Ludvig. :)

Is this free speech ? I try to help the hunters to not overpay enhancers, I can not do it via auction obviously due to trading bots that just buys out any cheaper offer and then they put the stuff in their shop again for pumped price.

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forum/index.php?threads/8k-christmas-strongbox.286385/

Or this?

Free speech is a bullshit, some people should not be allowed to speak up because of their dirty tongue and bad manners they brought from their parents.

It's a very serious thing that someone from MindArk should look into, it saddens me that when I report market manipulation with proofs and spend serious amount of time to gather evidence and find out who's behind the alt avatars, I just get automated response from the support and the person manipulating keeps doing it. There is a possibility their withdrawal will be blocked, but after whole community is scammed, it's too late.

Last edited:

Is this free speech ? I try to help the hunters to not overpay enhancers, I can not do it via auction obviously due to trading bots that just buys out any cheaper offer and then they put the stuff in their shop again for pumped price.

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forum/index.php?threads/8k-christmas-strongbox.286385/

Or this?

Free speech is a bullshit, some people should not be allowed to speak up because of their dirty tongue and bad manners they brought from their parents.
Yeah it sucks when it happens to you personally, but I’m sure you are capable of defending yourself. Free speech goes both ways.
Of course there are downsides, but I think the downsides are greater for a community that cannot speak out or defend its values if they come under attack.

Yeah it sucks when it happens to you personally, but I’m sure you are capable of defending yourself. Free speech goes both ways.
Of course there are downsides, but I think the downsides are greater for a community that cannot speak out or defend its values if they come under attack.
What's good in speaking up if my comments will be removed and others remain due to bad job being done by forum admins ?

What's good in speaking up if my comments will be removed and others remain due to bad job being done by forum admins ?
Yeah. That is exactly the reason why any censorship in my mind is a bad idea. People in position of power to silence others come with human mistakes and biases, a lot of times key context is missed, sometimes your remarks are held to a stricter standard than others, and that is unfair for you.
Free speech for all voices is simply the best way.

Sounds about right.

I have not been a big fan of the change from reputation system on this forum, to "reaction smilys"

I mean... what the fuck?

and now this is one of the results.. people moving around "laugh reacting" on posts and downvoting service threads, because they have spite against you. (see my heal service thread for example)

and when you reach out to a mod about it - there is nothing they can do about the reactions on the thread. Posts, like in the old days.. were removed without hesitation when posted in order to mess with someone... but nothing about the reaction emoticons lol

Back