Scam attempt or a stupid noob?

Dmatrix

Stalker
Society
Crimson Devils
Perfect Dmatrix Bimbo
I was advertising my rings for sale in trade chat for 42k for the combo. I was contacted by someone to buy them for 40. I said lets meet in the middle at 41k and avoid further haggling. The person agreed. When we met up he proceeded to put 41 PED into the trade window and wait for me to put in the rings. I then asked what are you trying to buy for 41 ped? He said "thought you were selling rings". I said yes 41k ped. He said "lol sorry misread"

What do you guys and gals think. Scam attempt? Stupid noob? Scam attempted cleverly disguised as a stupid noob?

I mean if you are a noob and you figured out how to find the trade chat in game after finding out that you need rings for your avatar. By that point wouldn't you have figured out that you can right click an item and see its market value? This is why I am thinking it may have been a scam attempt.

This was my exact advertising post: "WTS [Christmas Ring 2018]24k / [Halloween Ring 2019]19k, combo for 42k"

Below is the exact copy of the conversation. Name has been removed per forum rules.
2022-09-04 10:55:43 [Avatar] 40 for the pair ? ?
2022-09-04 10:57:21 [Dmatrix] hello. 40 is a bit low but i think i would meet u in the middle at 41k and we dont have to haggle :)
2022-09-04 10:57:45 [Avatar]: hi k :) where you at ?
2022-09-04 10:58:13 [Dmatrix] on NI atm, you?
2022-09-04 10:58:28 [Avatar] cp auction
2022-09-04 10:58:52 [Avatar] crystal peak that is :)
2022-09-04 10:59:47 [Dmatrix] i can warp to caly if u have the peds ready
2022-09-04 11:00:33 [Avatar] lol na am at crystal peak on NI
2022-09-04 11:01:17 [Dmatrix] ah cool, can meet up now
2022-09-04 11:01:28 [Avatar] cool
2022-09-04 11:03:14 [Dmatrix] ?
2022-09-04 11:03:41 [Dmatrix] what are u trying to buy for 41ped?
2022-09-04 11:03:41 [Avatar] thought you were selling rings ?
2022-09-04 11:03:51 [Dmatrix] yes 41000 ped
2022-09-04 11:04:03 [Avatar] lol sorry misread

Someone tried that with me before, I would say a scam for sure.

1000% scam attempt, the idiot who might "misread" it for 42 ped instead of 42k ped and the first thing he does is start to negotiate for 40 instead of buy immediately, that idiot is not born yet.

If that´s a scam attempt, it´s an extremely poor one. I mean, who wouldn´t look at what they're getting in trade at those values?

I´d say it´s more likely a poor attempt at being funny, or someone who genuinely don´t know.

1000% scam attempt, the idiot who might "misread" it for 42 ped instead of 42k ped and the first thing he does is start to negotiate for 40 instead of buy immediately, that idiot is not born yet.
I was thinking the exact same. He made it seem like a legit trade interest with a slightly lower offer from BO

How to best shorten the responses on those:

2022-09-04 10:56:00 [Dmatrix] WTS [Christmas Ring 2018]24k / [Halloween Ring 2019]19k, combo for 42k
2022-09-04 10:55:43 [Avatar] 40 for the pair ? ?
2022-09-04 10:57:21 [Dmatrix] hello. do you mean 40 or 40,000?

If they come back w/ 40, ask them to re-read the sales pitch.
If they "pretend" to misread again, agree to the sale and give them 2 near dead aeglic (L) for 40. If they complain tell them you misread what they wanted to buy.

I´d like to Quote Marco here but i dont find the original Post, however from Memory:

"EPIC TROLL"

Sorry to hear that Dmatrix but i think you just got Trolled

I think just a noob/idiot that doesn't understand the real value of things. Somebody trying to scam you in the manner you suggested would butter you up with the agreed buyout because why negotiate 1-2 ped of difference on a 40k scam job. It doesn't make sense. If he wanted to scam you, he would of put in the 42k initially, then claimed some lag or bug on the confirm screen and give an excuse to re-initiate, maybe do it again, then on the third time come in with 4200PED. Only way I see that scam happening.

I think just a noob/idiot that doesn't understand the real value of things. Somebody trying to scam you in the manner you suggested would butter you up with the agreed buyout because why negotiate 1-2 ped of difference on a 40k scam job. It doesn't make sense. If he wanted to scam you, he would of put in the 42k initially, then claimed some lag or bug on the confirm screen and give an excuse to re-initiate, maybe do it again, then on the third time come in with 4200PED. Only way I see that scam happening.
42k is three stacks of ped tho

Scam!! Run...................

There's only two kinds off people who would do this...........and honestly it could just be a newbie.......but then again the number of scamers has gone up in EU........either ways, that person would definitely get a permanent spot on my iggy list.

This kind of situation is fated to inescapable uncertainty. You should not try to firmly pin it to a single category in your head. It could be a scammer, a n00b, someone not paying attention, etc. You could try to assign epistemic probabilities to each if you really wanted, but I think a good policy is just to assume everyone is a scammer for the purpose of maximizing your own vigilance during a trade, but assume everyone is acting in good faith in terms of how you treat them in PM and in public interactions, at least until they give you numerous and unambiguous evidence to the contrary.

Sorry I am not following, what have I missed?
20k peds is the max amount of peds in one stack.

so this "scam" attempt, surely doesnt look like a good one lol

i honestly believe the supposed "buyer" just has an IQ lower than what is considered normal room temperature and that is what we have seen here today

To OP; Check out the buyers EntropiaLife... will give you an idea if it was an honest mistake or an attempted scam.

Most likely scam attempt, this falls in line with those auction orders that try to get stuff worth several thousands for a few hundred.

to be sure if it was a newbie or not you should have scanned his avatar also

But it looks like for me too as a scam

Yes I am a noob, not long started, and this idiot obviously needs more attention in his life, I feel for him.

lol get a life you lot, I was half awake and mistakenly thought they were 41 ped, not 41k ped, this obvious attempt at causing me grief somehow for some unknown reason is a waste of my time and yours.

move along, nothing to see here.

Yes I am a noob, not long started, and this idiot obviously needs more attention in his life, I feel for him.

lol get a life you lot, I was half awake and mistakenly thought they were 41 ped, not 41k ped, this obvious attempt at causing me grief somehow for some unknown reason is a waste of my time and yours.

This was the person who this post was about. Just so we are clear here. I guess we all need to get a life gents. Clearly…

The op was asking if people though that him advertising a item for 4.1K usd and you offering him 4 dollars and 10 cents might be a scam.. and you say he needs attention and just wasting peoples time. I say I hope more people will point out scam attempts like this so people do not fall for them.

You didn't need to come in here at all.. the op was asking people their view on what happened and got some answers. Being a new player i am sure you have learned how to check mu value on items.. and with this being real cash economy would want to make sure you were not over paying.. but just neglected the K at the end of the 42k or 41k each time it was typed.

I also hear the same thing from the call center guys that call my work trying to access my workstation when i call them out on it.. hmmmmm

Well nothing more for me to see here so moving on....

SpikE

lol
3 weeks ago i have the same problem with the avatar [xyz] (forgot the name but i have logs )
so i think the formula its Stupid + Scam = waste of time

🤡🤡🤡

The OP accepts both positions, but does not have a definite opinion. The fact that there are more ALT avatars in the game that are primarily used for this purpose is the crux of this thread... I mean don't take it personally if that wasn't your intention.

Odd one. If someone advertises something for sale would you just randomly decide to contact them to buy it for no aparent reason? Or would you only contact if you know what it was and knew what you were buying and needed or wanted or were looking for said item. Based on that you would also know what the value of say item was right?

example = selling air conditioner

buyer in a hot country = it’s hot I could do with one. Based on that buyer knows what an ac is what it does and vaguely what it’s value is right?

Buyer in Alaska = I’m already freezing my nuts off got Icicles hanging of them.. do I need an ac? Shall I just buy it to put it away and randomly offer a price and resell it to another Eskimo with icicles on their nuts. If I don’t need it why would the next. Absolutely no use. Damn even the thought wouldn’t cross his mind to buy one.

How often is the latter bound to happen? Compared to the top?

fk this is getting long but you get the gist. In my opinion by the looks of it the buyer knew what he was buying and their value. Just my opinion and I sincerely hope I’m wrong.

You don’t just randomly make offers or buy stuff you have no knowledge and use of.

Regards
Tees

If that´s a scam attempt, it´s an extremely poor one. I mean, who wouldn´t look at what they're getting in trade at those values?

I´d say it´s more likely a poor attempt at being funny, or someone who genuinely don´t know.
You'd think, but people are dumb. Runescape and WoW proved that forever ago. I'm sure people are normally more careful since this is an RCE tho

Back