"Scanning bug" that resembles the "levitation bug"

Midori Fairlona

Stalker
Society
Federation of Free Wanderers
Midori Beretrena Fairlona
Hi everyone.

Just here to report a minor bug that in a few odd occasions could be used maliciously.

When a female avatar wearing some form of stiletto boot is scanned, they appear to levitate slightly into the air. If scanned again the height of levitation increases, until the avatar is high in the sky.

Before any of you think this is a good way to get to those hard to reach mining claims, the levitation is only an illusion. To the person doing the scanning the avatar appears to be high in the sky, but to everyone else they have never left the spot on which they were standing.

The only reason I am reporting this here is that on a screenshot this bug looks very similar to the levitation exploit used in the PvP rings. This is depicted in the third screenshot below where I caused someone to appear to levitate inside the ring (the height of the levitation is small as I saw no need to drain my scanner, but the bug could be used to take a malicious screenshot to damage another's rep).

This bug has now been reported in a support case.

In case any of you are thinking I should not have made people aware of this bug, I have spoken to one other avatar already that knew about this long before I did. As it is already in the public domain, reporting it to the community can only help to protect a potential victim's reputation.

Provided below are the screenshots that I took. None of the avatars shown below exploited a bug or did anything else wrong. They are merely a demonstration of what the scanning bug looks like.

Moderators, please move this thread if you feel there is a more appropriate forum for it. Thank you.

funny i know some time ago avatars would sink into the ground :p

btw you dont have to continue scanning them again and again to make them get up higher, scan once and then just click on "avatar" several times for the same effect :)

very old bug and mentioned on here loads of times

very old bug and mentioned on here loads of times

Odd, it didn't show up on any of the searches I tried. I must have been choosing the wrong words to search for.

Anyway, I have heard from a few people that didn't know about this, so it was worth posting it again. Especially as some people have been posting screenshots of the levitation bug exploiters recently.

Well I think while this bug is a old one, it brings up a very important point of screen shots not being 100% evidence of any wrong doing!

Besides Photo shop and programs like that, this screen shot would be a true screen shot but taken from a bugged charter with very misleading information show from such a picture :(

ok, now for the *real* reason i haven't posted anything in the globals section..
i had several screenies of this bug myself, and was going to post them here, as midori and i were kind of exploring it, in order to pinpoint the causality, during the evening last night ( in fairness, Midori did *most* of the exploration, cuz i'm kinda lazy that way, so +rep for that effort, Midori)

in any event, no format i save the screenies in seems to be acceptable to the EF picture book.not sure why it isn't working, but i've had some relatively similar issues with this computer at totally unrelated sites, too.:scratch2:

note to self: must spread more rep...

Yeah, that bug has been around for a while.

/Pepper

yes this is an old bug YourMom actually put it in a movie of hers "ma bugs"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6c4n_zsv80 you can find it here
for a time when you scanned any female av, their waist would get continuously smaller til they were actually hourglass shaped.

I once increased a female ava's skirt in PA auction until it practically filled the room... Must be version of the same bug. The skirts just keeps growing out, and it looks like someone's got stuck in the middle of a a flying saucer in the end.

/Pepper

Back