Scanning for Skills?

AckerZ

Old Alpha
Society
Dirty Dingos
Anonymous AckerZ Anonymous
What are peoples opinions on using the more efficient scanners for skill gains, particularly skills that feed into the looter professions.

Does it make sense to use these constantly or is the cost:skills gained not a good trade off?

Personally I think it might not be if you are planning on playing for a very long time as the scanning with the high efficiency investafoes with around 33% success rate would fetch around 30-40,000 skill gain instances for 100ped (assuming entropia wiki scan/pec data is correct on investafoe es500).

If you were to focus that on one particular mob, say robots, for a couple months you'd likely unlock the level 30 skill Robotology or level 60 scientist that feed into your looter profession and ultimately size of your loot pool. Which over a large ped cycle would likely make a noticeable difference.

My query is whether long term consistent use of a high efficiency scanner is more/less expensive than just chipping in?

If you were to focus that on one particular mob, say robots, for a couple months you'd likely unlock the level 30 skill Robotology or level 60 scientist t

You wouldn't even get close to that. If you did it for 10 years, you might have a chance.

You wouldn't even get close to that. If you did it for 10 years, you might have a chance.
Not to disagree with you as you could be completely correct but how do you know the math doesn't work out? It's seems a small pocket of players are in favour of using them and unless my "top of my head" math is way off they seem like a decent long term cheap method to gain rare skills that would increase your returns long term.

Still in the "figuring everything out" stage so please explain if I am missing something glaringly obvious?

You can take my advice or you can ignore it, it doesn't matter to me one bit. If you just try spending as much time scanning as you have done on typing in this thread, you will know the answer.

I'm merely asking you to qualify your advice. Like why do you have the opinion you have. Do you 'know' it is a waste of ped because you have run tests etc?

Again not disputing your position just asking you to clarify it.

Looks like he cannot :(

I failed to provide my datasets within 7 minutes of being asked, I have to admit.

Of course it could be that I just can't be arsed putting further effort into responding to someone who asks for opinions and then neg reps me for going to the trouble of providing one.

Scanning sessions where you scan only is a waste of time. Mob can only be scanned once. If it hasnt given you skill you must switch to another mob.
If you wish to scan mob better scan each mob you are about to kill..

I failed to provide my datasets within 7 minutes of being asked, I have to admit.

Of course it could be that I just can't be arsed putting further effort into responding to someone who asks for opinions and then neg reps me for going to the trouble of providing one.

I dont know why you are replying in the manner you are to a clearly new player trying to learn the game, but if you cant be polite then perhaps consider not replying at all.

You are better than this, and when you reflect on it you may agree.

i think its faster to take looter rewards and do codex missions than scanning for skills for botany and zoology...

I tried this, and while you can get a little bit of skills, you gotta scan every mob you kill once, and the scan agroes them. Some of the skills you mentioned can be acquired by cutting down trees, which will give a ton more skillpoints, also you can tame pets with a whip, which should give you zoology. Easiest way is just to choose these rewards through codex of course.

Yeah, a total waste of time mate, they nerfed scanning to 1 scan per mob, skill gains or no skill gained.
As Soberphil said, cutting trees, crafting, healing, taming can all give better skill gains in comparison.

Scanning sessions where you scan only is a waste of time. Mob can only be scanned once. If it hasnt given you skill you must switch to another mob.
If you wish to scan mob better scan each mob you are about to kill..

The only way to weave in some scanning. I personally only do it on some mobs when I'm melee hunting and don't go to crazy with it.

What are peoples opinions on using the more efficient scanners for skill gains, particularly skills that feed into the looter professions.

Does it make sense to use these constantly or is the cost:skills gained not a good trade off?

I just use the TT scanner and scan certain mobs, usually larger mobs, that I am meleeing when I feel like weaving in some skills to get Xenobiology. Xeno or Robo are the only skills you really should be scanning for as it's the only way to attain them. If I got a skill pill running I don't want to lower my kill rate drastically to scan since it's detrimental to my other skill gains that are better for looter and other professions.

Lets say Rex I might tag one, scan it on the way in and melee it. Rinse repeat. It's smooth, doesn't affect my kill rate since I am waiting to melee it. If I am MF, Rifle hunting etc I rather just keep pew pew pew and not stop to scan. However I don't scan much, I scan humans cause I like looking and mobs here and there when I get an urge.

Harvesting will give you the other scanning skills like analysis and many more looter skills if specifically targeting side looter skills. On a side note hope they update scanning and revitalize it again in some ways. Unfortunately now it's a pretty dead profession and really only has Xeno/Robo to go after if you are crazy and seek them. Just seek them wisely and be efficient about it...best not to spend much time on it. Better yet chip in Xeno/Robo and don't scan till it's updated ;)

Last edited:
Back