Screenshots from Calypso Gateway 2.0

Kim|MindArk

Former Planet Calypso Official
I thought I'd share a couple of pictures from an outpost in the new gateway area that we're designing for Calypso. Enjoy!

EDIT: New pictures added

Note that these screenshots depict a work in progress and what you see here may change before release.

Last edited:
that out of order sign is mighty fine looking.

that out of order sign is mighty fine looking.

it is HUGE!

EDIT:
That text should be replaced with:

Daily Specials! Menu

Wonton Soup - 2 dolla
Chicken & Mushroom Fried Rice - 7 dolla
Spring Roll - 1 dolla
etc..

there's plenty of room for more text

Last edited:
Thanks Kim, that looks nice! Are you considering continuing to use the Advisor's? Many of us are still logging onto the old Gateway when time permits to provide some guidance.

Why do we need a new Calypso Gateway? What's wrong with the old one? How about fixing Medusa first????

i lol'd at the out of service sign... kind of out of place :yay:

The old one doesn't offer enough interesting game play and it's layout is too confusing.

ON this I must agree...a little more of what a new player might expect upon landing is called for IMHO

The pictures look really nice. :)

Have the artists ever played AfterWorld? It kinda reminds me of a bit of its early game scenery.

The old one doesn't offer enough interesting game play and it's layout is too confusing.

You want them to hang around in there? Surely the new arrival area is to ARRIVE then you either do a few basic tutorials or skip it and go straight to the game.

If i were you guys I'd look more into why so many are looking for the DEPARTING area.

edit: no looters :) I'm not going to comment as it will ruin your thread so i will just leave you with Cleopatra drifting in de nile.

the renders do look nice though

Last edited:
You want them to hang around in there? Surely the new arrival area is to ARRIVE then you either do a few basic tutorials or skip it and go straight to the game.

If i were you guys I'd look more into why so many are looking for the DEPARTING area.

It's not true that more people are quitting now than before however we have taken measures to increase player retention. One recent example is the significant reduction of no-looters.

This :wise:

-Bemo-

kim you sure you guys didn't just take pictures of places in doom 3?:scratch2:
looks a lot like the corridors in doom3, very poor lighting,lack of human life.:wise: i keep thinking a imps going to pop out of the corner, or one of those exploding babies is gona crawl over the plastic sign.:eyecrazy:
maybe you could... i don't know.... add more lighting?:wise:
looks very cool but cold an eerie at the same time.

It's not true that more people are quitting now than before however we have taken measures to increase player retention. One recent example is the significant reduction of no-looters.

It's still very bad if the amount of people quitting hasn't changed, if their number is higher than that of new players.

It is, however, good to see you guys are making efforts towards player retention. I hope you are aware that most people know the reduction of no-looters has only cosmetic (or psychological, if you will) effect and thus it won't really help that much, meaning there's still a lot you guys have to do to improve player retention.

Also, getting your client loader and download servers sorted out would also be a big plus, since on top of people quitting the game, you have people who want to play the game but can't get in, due to download issues entirely on MA's/EU's side.

Design is very nice, looking good!

I just hope that whoever is doing it now have some plan and knows how it should be done.
Yes, look is important first impression, but much more important is to learn about game while being drawn into storyline. And I hope there will follow some more storyline quests.

Why is all the new stuff being added lately so poorly lit? This and the new outposts at places like Ashi are dark and depressing. Even the mobs that have been redesigned are brown. Calypso gets drearier by the day :(

Last edited:
Why is all the new stuff being added lately so poorly lit? This and the new outposts at places like Ashi are dark and depressing. Even the mobs that have been redesigned are brown. Calypso gets drearier by the day :(

Ashi seems like it should be kind of eerie and dim though for a pvp area.

As a Community Advisor working with newbies on the Gateway i am very happy to see that MA is working hard to improve and fix the slightly to heavily broken front door to my favorite planet. :)

ps. Please oh please make it impossible to farm the freebies (i am so sick of seeing these tens and hundreds of "ndfskn sfkjnkn sdfk" named avatars who know exactly how to milk the tutorial in as short time as possible)...

Totally agree. Dark, sad, depressing. Add poorness of loot, and you quit game rapidly.

I like it, good job, but u could make it a bit brighter, else I expect doom-mobs behind every corner :eyecrazy:

Ashi seems like it should be kind of eerie and dim though for a pvp area.

lol then we don't need to walk outside into blinding sunlight :laugh: Medusa is the same inside. Grey, metallic and dreary. Guess I'm just not a fan of the metal look everywhere and remember my first time arriving at PA off a spaceship where everything was well lit and coloured with avatars wearing all different outfits and armours. Games that are dark I try for a couple of hours and usually bin :(

Totally agree. Dark, sad, depressing. Add poorness of loot, and you quit game rapidly.

It think a good mix of dark, sad and depressing locations, combined with light and "happy" areas is good. Calypso should be a combination of "Wasteland" and "New Hope and Life".

I like the good quality of the graphic, i hope to see more of this kind of quality inside the game. :)

Don't forget to update all the missions on Entropedia.info when the gateway is done, or at least provide the info about what to do and what can happen to the advisors :)

i lol'd at the out of service sign... kind of out of place :yay:

I laughed to except I thought it sums up this entire thing in one picture..

nice screens - now go and bring back some nice places to Caly.
Hadesheim - Minopolis - Palms Corner

I like it, good job, but u could make it a bit brighter, else I expect doom-mobs behind every corner :eyecrazy:

see, i'm not the only one who thinks of the doom games when i look at these pics.

in total agreement with every word in it.............it's sad!

Kim i odnt wanna jump on your back mate and maybe you look at this and think "i dont give a fuck", but honestly i dont get how you guys plan around there at MA....

Correct me if im totally wrong, but the standard way is, to look at what is required (fully) then what is possible and then design around that ^^ Maybe im old school, but you do things once, you make damn sure you dunnit right (all aspects)and then and ONLY then do you implement it.

Actually I'd leave the arrival and "processing" area fairly dark (like in the pictures) but have it lead into a brighter room with large windows so you can see the alien world you have recently arrived to :)

Would give a transition feeling from darkness to light and hope :)

Back