Info: semi new install to Window 7

aridash

Slayer
Society
Skillin' Villains
so i have just migrated to windows 7 from XP and need to re-install everything. this may have been previously posted but i couldnt see it easily (the sticky seems to focus on repairing broken installs).

so locate your data on the old system probably was C:\Program Files\Entropia Universe but this may have changed. (when i installed new drive i've kept the old so its bumped to E:\ for example)

move <drive>:\Program Files\Entropia Universe
to C:\Program Files (x86)\Entropia Universe

except
move <drive>:\Program Files\Entropia Universe\public_users_data
to C:\Users\Public\entropia universe\public_users_data

Thats the secret sauce: unless the content is in this path EU will attempt to download it all again.

you'll also need to remember to install directX 9 and vcredist_x86.exe / vcredist_x64.exe (to fix the side by side bug, i installed both).

now a rant at MA or Planet Calypso whoever is reading... why did i have to work this out myself? why isnt there a guide to migrating the software, its not uncommon these days and a simple "copy everything" doesnt work because under Windows 7 the app expects the content to be in a different path. having to download 6-10GB of data I already have is a pain with time taken and download caps many have. I apologies if there is a guide, but there isnt a FAQ and i'm not going to hold my breath on a support request.

Last edited:
Back