Should Chili con carne have beans it it?

Should Chili con carne have beans it it?

• Total voters
Yes.. But...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApbGsQAsWOY&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Ok, since I started this mess I suppose I should chime in on it....

First of all, if your idea of chili involves a can of some brown goo that you got at the market, you should probably just go ahead and leave now as this will just confuse you.

Now for those of you still here, the short answer is No. Chili does not have beans in it. Now before all you folks in Cincinnati get your panties in a bunch, I am referring to REAL, HONEST TO GOD, NO SHIT, CHILI. The stuff of urban legend that is known to remove paint from cars, can be used to cauterize open wounds, and is guaranteed to make a tough man cry. I am NOT referring to that watered down soup that is made with bell peppers, pasta/rice and beans. That stuff is an abomination and should be avoided at all costs.

And now for the long answer – Chili originated in Texas, (probably San Antonio, but there is still a bit of debate about that). The term “chili con carne” as many already know is Spanish for chili with meat, chili being a mixture of various dried and powdered chili peppers which may vary depending on where you are and what’s available. Personally I like to make my own but it is available in the local grocery’s spice rack. The meat used is almost always beef and can be diced into chunks about the size of the end of your finger or coarsely ground. Personally I like to use diced pork. Pretty much any cut will do, just as long as it’s diced and seared with a bit of garlic and black pepper before it goes in to the pot. Once you’ve got your pork cooked up, you need to make the chili base, there are several methods for this which can be easy or somewhat complicated depending on what you want. The easy way is to use a good chili mix such as the one I sent Stinky, which is called “Wick Fowlers famous 2 alarm chili kit” and can be found on the internet (Google is your friend). Another good one is Carrol Shelby’s chili kit which is very similar and a little more expensive. Now if you’re using the chili kit, just follow the instructions and add the pork instead of ground beef. However for you brave souls who are going it from scratch, you will need to do the following:
Add these ingredients to a large cast iron dutch oven or big crock pot

8oz can of tomatoes

12oz can or bottle of Beer – A note about this, if you wouldn’t drink it, don’t cook with it either. Just give it to the cat and let him enjoy the headache from drinking shitty Beer. I like to use a good dark ale and always be sure and keep one or three off to the side, because, well, ya never know….. Might get thirsty…

2 or 3 shots of decent tequila – One for the cook, if you need salt and lime (training wheels) you are a damn sissy and shouldn’t be messing with my chili in the first place. Now go sit down before you hurt yourself. 1 or 2 shots for the chili.

Now for the spices…
Chili powder – This is a tough one and is highly subjective. I recommend a combination of the following if you can get them:
Ancho chili peppers – powder or dried – Med hot
Chipoltle - powder or dried - this is a smoke dried jalapeno pepper - Hot
Pablano chili – dried – Mild
Serrano chili – dried – Hot
Anaheim or Big Jim chilis – dried – mild
Habanero chili – powder or dried – Very Hot!
Cayenne pepper – powder or dried – Very Hot!

You should notice that I did not include any amounts for the chilis, this is because you will have to experiment with them to get the flavor YOU want, I would suggest starting with a couple handfuls of the mild chilis and then add small amounts of the hot stuff until it tastes about where you want. Keep in mind it will get a bit hotter as it cooks and hotter still as it sits in the refrigerator. Kind of like a good salsa. Also, once you have your dried chilis selected in the proper ratios, you want to grind them to a powder. I like to use a clean coffee grinder to do the job and it works well, just be sure and remove the stems from all the chilis before you put them in. Seeds are good and are what makes those chilis nice and hot! Make enough so that you can put at least a 1/2 cup in your chili. Leftover powder can be saved in a ziploc baggie or an old spice bottle.

Cumin aka Comino – This is a very strong spice and should be used sparingly to avoid overpowering everything else. Try a teaspoon or so and add a little more later if needed.

Garlic salt – Again to taste, start with about a tablespoon and be prepared to add more later if needed. Be careful here because it is very salty and too much will ruin your chili.

Oregano – About a tablespoon should do it.

Paprika – a teaspoon

Corn or masa flour – this is a thickener and if you don’t have it available you can also use corn starch mixed with a little water. Use about a tablespoon.
Onion powder – Optional, if you use it use between a teaspoon and a tablespoon depending on taste.

And then the meat:
2 pounds of lean MEAT! I like pork butt, however, you can use pretty much anything that blows your skirt up. I’ve had chili made from goat meat (cabritto) that was fantastic and to this day was probably the best bowl of red I’ve ever tasted. I’ve always wanted to try this recipe with alligator tail meat but so far haven’t had the chance get any. Venison is very nice also. Whatever, go nuts. Just remember to sear the meat first and then add it last.
Now, if you’re cooking in a crotch pot, set that bad boy on high and head for the local strip joint to go look at nekkid chicks and drink some more Beer for about 4-6 hours. Once you come back, you should wait to eat long enough to make yourself a nice pan of cornbread to go with it (no, I’m not giving the recipe for that too, get your own!).
If your cooking in a dutch oven, sorry, but your going to miss out on the strippers. There should be some more Beer in the fridge tho and where the hell is the rest of that tequila……. Anyway, 2-3 hours on simmer should do the trick, just be sure and stir frequently so it doesn’t melt the bottom out of your dutch oven.

So there it is, Blackjacks Chili recipe. I would ask that if you make it, please take pictures/video and post it here so we can all see how funny you look drunk.

Oh and one more thing, for those skeptics and non-believers who think chili has beans and comes from East New Jersey – Supporting documents….

From www.chilicookoff.com

The following rules and regulations for cooks at the World’s Championship, State, Regional and District Cookoffs are as follows:

1. Traditional Red Chili is defined by the International Chili Society as any kind of meat or combination of meats, cooked with red chili peppers, various spices and other ingredients, with the exception of BEANS and PASTA which are strictly forbidden.

2. Chili Verde is defined by the International Chili Society as any kind of meat or combination of meats, cooked with green chili peppers, various spices and other ingredients, with the exception of BEANS and PASTA which are strictly forbidden.

3. Salsa: there are no rules as to the ingredients or how to prepare your Salsa. It may be prepared at home and brought to the site that day, or it may be store bought and brought to the site, or it may be prepared at the Cookoff.

4. No ingredient may be pre-cooked in any way prior to the commencement of the official cookoff. The only exceptions are canned or bottled tomatoes, tomato sauce, peppers, pepper sauce, beverages, broth and grinding and/or mixing of spices. Meat may be treated, pre-cut or ground. MEAT MAY NOT BE PRE-COOKED. All other ingredients must be chopped or prepared during the preparation period.

5. You must be an ACTIVE ICS member to compete in any ICS competition including Traditional Red Chili, Chili Verde, and Salsa. You must be at least 18 years old.

6. The cooking period will be a minimum of 3 hours and a maximum of 4 hours. The exact starting and ending of the cooking period is to be announced by each local sponsoring organization. Cooking during entire cooking period is at the sole discretion of the contestant.

7. A representative of the sponsoring organization shall conduct a contestant’s meeting, at which time final instructions are to be given and questions answered, no later than 1 hour prior to the official starting time of the cookoff.

8. Contestants are responsible for supplying all of their own cooking utensils, etc. The sponsors of the cookoff will provide an area for each contestant and in some instances stoves and/or electrical outlets.

9. Each contestant must cook a minimum of two quarts of competition chili prepared in one pot, which will be submitted for judging.

10. Contestants will be permitted to sell or participate in People’s Choice Chili with the approval of the cookoff chairperson and in compliance with State and local agencies. It is at the discretion of each contestant if he or she wants to participate in People’s Choice, unless the sponsoring organization requires People’s Choice Chili in lieu of the entry fee (2 gal maximum) or in addition to the entry fee (1 gal maximum) may be required, but cooks should not be limited to a specific amount. Contestants may elect to pay a cash entry fee rather than provide People’s Choice Chili. PEOPLES CHOICE CHILI MUST HAVE BEANS OR PASTA.

11. Each contestant will be assigned a contestant’s number by the Chief Scorekeeper and be given an official 32 oz. ICS judging cup. Each contestant should verify that the number on the bottom of their cup is the same as their assigned contestant number. Each contestant is responsible to deliver their cup, which must be filled to the bottom of the cup’s rim, to the judging area at the official time for judging.

12. Judges will be told they should vote for the chili they like best based on the following major considerations: good flavor, texture of the meat, consistency, blend of spices, aroma, and color.

13. The decisions of the Chief Judge shall be final.

www.about.com
Chili, or chili con carne, with its grand Texas heritage and widespread popularity, is a wonderful choice for a wintertime meal, and it's a great meal for large gatherings and parties. Texans will be quick to tell you it's not chili if it has beans, so you might want to call it chili with beans if you add them.

History
Who invented chili? There are several theories. E. De Grolyer, a scholar and chili expert, believed it had its origins as the "pemmican of the Southwest" in the late 1840s. According to De Grolyer, Texans pounded dried beef and beef fat, chili peppers, and salt to make trail food for the ride out to the gold fields and San Francisco. The dried mixture was then boiled in pots along the trail, an "instant" chili. A variation on the same theory is that cowboys invented chili when driving cattle. Supposedly, cooks planted oregano, chilies, and onions among patches of mesquite to protect them from foraging cattle. The next time they passed the same trail, they would collect the spices, combine them with beef, and make a dish called "Trail drive chili". The chili peppers used in the earliest dishes were probably chilipiquíns, which grow wild on bushes in Texas, particularly the southern part of the state.

Probably the earliest mention of the dish, though not the name, according to Dave DeWitt and Nancy Gerlach in "The Whole Chile Pepper Book," was by J.C Clopper. He visited San Antonio in 1828 and commented on how poor people would cut the little meat they could afford "into a kind of hash with nearly as many pieces of pepper as there are pieces of meat - this is all stewed together." The first mention of the word "chili" was in a book by S. Compton Smith, "Chile Con Carne, or The Camp and the Field" (1857), and there was a San Antonio Chili Stand at the 1893 Chicago World's Fair.

It was in 1902 that William Gebhardt, a German Immigrant in New Braunfels, Texas, created a "chili powder" which helped popularize chili throughout the Southwest. His brand is still one of the most popular, and specified in many recipes.

www.wikipedia.com
Chili con carne (literally "Chili with meat", often known simply as chili) is a spicy stew made from chili peppers, meat, garlic, onions, and cumin. Traditional chili is made with chopped or ground beef. Variations, either geographic or by personal preference, may substitute different types of meat and may also include tomatoes, beans, or other ingredients. The name "chili con carne" is a variation of the Spanish chile con carne, which means "peppers with meat." Chili con carne is the official dish of the U.S. state of Texas. It can be found worldwide in local variations and also in certain American-style fast food restaurants.

Origins and history
Many argue that chili was invented in Mexico during the 1840s as a replacement for pemmican and a way to make rancidified meats palatable. Some place its origin in Tijuana, Baja California, or Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua.
Charles Ramsdell, a writer from San Antonio in an article called San Antonio: A Historical and Pictorial Guide, wrote: "Chili, as we know it in the U.S., cannot be found in Mexico today except in a few spots which cater to tourists. If chili had come from Mexico, it would still be there. For Mexicans, especially those of Indian ancestry, do not change their culinary customs from one generation, or even from one century, to another."
A Native American legend from Texas, Arizona and New Mexico claims that Chili was a dish taught to them by Venerable Sister María de Agreda. Described as a beautiful young foreign lady dressed in blue ("The Lady in Blue" or "La Dama de Azul"), in the early 1600s. This mysterious lady was a Spanish Nun who taught the Indians how to prepare a dish made with venison, spices and assorted peppers (chiles). Support for this legend can be found in the earliest known record of Sister Ágreda missionary exploits in the New World as recounted in 1670 by Bishop Jose Jimenez Samaniego of Spain. In 1888, Fr. Michael Muller's book Catholic Dogma also recounts Sister Ágreda's interactions with Native Americans in Southwestern United States.
Chili is said to be the food of forgiveness and reconciliation. The Mexican origin theory holds that it was created as a complimentary dish served at cantinas, especially to please outsiders, who wanted something spicy and "Mexican" to eat (provided it was free or cheap) It was made with leftovers from the meals prepared in the cantina and served for free to drinking customers.
Chile peppers originated in the Americas and were in wide use in pre-Columbian Mexican culture. Any stew made using significant numbers of chiles might be seen as a forerunner of all modern chili recipes.
While evidence of corn in pre-Columbian proto-chili stews remains to be discovered, its usage can be inferred. Although bulk grain fillers are not considered legitimate ingredients in some recipes, masa — a meal made from either corn flour (masa harina) or corn that has been treated with caustic lime to make hominy (masa nixtamalera)— is often used as a thickener and flavoring.
The Americanized recipe used for expeditions consisted of dried beef, suet, dried chili peppers (usually chilepiquenes), and salt, which were pounded together and left to dry into bricks, which could then be boiled in pots on the trail.
The "San Antonio Chile Stand", in operation at the 1893 Columbian Exposition in Chicago, helped people from other parts of the country taste and appreciate chili. San Antonio was a significant tourist destination and helped Texas-style chili con carne spread throughout the South and West.

Blackjack :cowboy:

:yay:BEANS FTW!!!:yay:

:thumbup:

Ummm.. Blackjack?

ROTEL!!

Ummm.. Blackjack?

ROTEL!!

Oh yes! Rotel is very good! I use that in my spanish rice!;) Haven't tried it in chili 'cause I don't like the tomato chunks, but maybe if I put it in the blender....

No beans? No fart-fuel!

If there's no beans, it ain't chili con carne! Besides, how do you expect to get lethal blue angels without them?

If they give you streaks in your underwear, don't wear any!

Btw, love chili pic... made me start a grocery list for my own! :silly2:

Tbh, I have to admit I've always just called it chili, not chili con carne. Too lazy to use all those extra words I guess lol. Without beans, its just a fancy spaghetti sauce really.

Last edited:
You got something against Skyline?

You got something against Skyline?

Dunno, never heard of it. Googled it and it comes in a can. Looks kinda like spaghetti sauce too.

I suspect it is to chili what Spam is to prosciutto di parma.

:laugh:

Ah. Figured that was the reference to Cincinnati. :)

Wow, that sounds spicy, BJ! We have grown many of those peppers last growing season, but only my stepdad is brave enough to consume the hotter ones lol! I think our version of chili con carne, southern CA (mexican) way is much different than the texas way. With beans!:D

And now for the long answer – Chili originated in Texas, (probably San Antonio, but there is still a bit of debate about that). The term “chili con carne” as many already know is Spanish for chili with meat, chili being a mixture of various dried and powdered chili peppers which may vary depending on where you are and what’s available. Personally I like to make my own but it is available in the local grocery’s spice rack. The meat used is almost always beef and can be diced into chunks about the size of the end of your finger or coarsely ground. Personally I like to use diced pork. Pretty much any cut will do, just as long as it’s diced and seared with a bit of garlic and black pepper before it goes in to the pot. Once you’ve got your pork cooked up, you need to make the chili base, there are several methods for this which can be easy or somewhat complicated depending on what you want. The easy way is to use a good chili mix such as the one I sent Stinky, which is called “Wick Fowlers famous 2 alarm chili kit” and can be found on the internet (Google is your friend). Another good one is Carrol Shelby’s chili kit which is very similar and a little more expensive. Now if you’re using the chili kit, just follow the instructions and add the pork instead of ground beef. However for you brave souls who are going it from scratch, you will need to do the following:
Add these ingredients to a large cast iron dutch oven or big crock pot

8oz can of tomatoes

12oz can or bottle of Beer – A note about this, if you wouldn’t drink it, don’t cook with it either. Just give it to the cat and let him enjoy the headache from drinking shitty Beer. I like to use a good dark ale and always be sure and keep one or three off to the side, because, well, ya never know….. Might get thirsty…

2 or 3 shots of decent tequila – One for the cook, if you need salt and lime (training wheels) you are a damn sissy and shouldn’t be messing with my chili in the first place. Now go sit down before you hurt yourself. 1 or 2 shots for the chili.

Now for the spices…
Chili powder – This is a tough one and is highly subjective. I recommend a combination of the following if you can get them:
Ancho chili peppers – powder or dried – Med hot
Chipoltle - powder or dried - this is a smoke dried jalapeno pepper - Hot
Pablano chili – dried – Mild
Serrano chili – dried – Hot
Anaheim or Big Jim chilis – dried – mild
Habanero chili – powder or dried – Very Hot!
Cayenne pepper – powder or dried – Very Hot!

You should notice that I did not include any amounts for the chilis, this is because you will have to experiment with them to get the flavor YOU want, I would suggest starting with a couple handfuls of the mild chilis and then add small amounts of the hot stuff until it tastes about where you want. Keep in mind it will get a bit hotter as it cooks and hotter still as it sits in the refrigerator. Kind of like a good salsa. Also, once you have your dried chilis selected in the proper ratios, you want to grind them to a powder. I like to use a clean coffee grinder to do the job and it works well, just be sure and remove the stems from all the chilis before you put them in. Seeds are good and are what makes those chilis nice and hot! Make enough so that you can put at least a 1/2 cup in your chili. Leftover powder can be saved in a ziploc baggie or an old spice bottle.

Cumin aka Comino – This is a very strong spice and should be used sparingly to avoid overpowering everything else. Try a teaspoon or so and add a little more later if needed.

Garlic salt – Again to taste, start with about a tablespoon and be prepared to add more later if needed. Be careful here because it is very salty and too much will ruin your chili.

Oregano – About a tablespoon should do it.

Paprika – a teaspoon

Corn or masa flour – this is a thickener and if you don’t have it available you can also use corn starch mixed with a little water. Use about a tablespoon.
Onion powder – Optional, if you use it use between a teaspoon and a tablespoon depending on taste.

And then the meat:
2 pounds of lean MEAT! I like pork butt, however, you can use pretty much anything that blows your skirt up. I’ve had chili made from goat meat (cabritto) that was fantastic and to this day was probably the best bowl of red I’ve ever tasted. I’ve always wanted to try this recipe with alligator tail meat but so far haven’t had the chance get any. Venison is very nice also. Whatever, go nuts. Just remember to sear the meat first and then add it last.
Now, if you’re cooking in a crotch pot, set that bad boy on high and head for the local strip joint to go look at nekkid chicks and drink some more Beer for about 4-6 hours. Once you come back, you should wait to eat long enough to make yourself a nice pan of cornbread to go with it (no, I’m not giving the recipe for that too, get your own!).
If your cooking in a dutch oven, sorry, but your going to miss out on the strippers. There should be some more Beer in the fridge tho and where the hell is the rest of that tequila……. Anyway, 2-3 hours on simmer should do the trick, just be sure and stir frequently so it doesn’t melt the bottom out of your dutch oven.

So there it is, Blackjacks Chili recipe. I would ask that if you make it, please take pictures/video and post it here so we can all see how funny you look drunk.

man that looks like an awesome recipe :D

I am SOOOO gonna try it.....1 time your way...

then I am going to bastardize the crap out of it and add beans..:laugh::yay:

Then most likely get my ass shot up next time I see Blackjack in EU....:D

Seriously though thx for sharing mate :)

+rep....even if I can't do it in this thread I owe ya one ;)

Thanks Steve! And remember.... Video or it never happened!:D

love it with and without beans. :) but will fart alot after eating those with beans and those farts smells like hotdog.

Reminds me of the people that put cream in a carbonara sauce :puke: :censored:

With kidney beans. Pulses make me very windy and this pleases me

Anyone who is a fan of chilli should check out the VERY overlooked movie War Inc., which is a sequel of sorts to Grosse Pointe Blank and features John Cusack as a hitman again, who knocks back shots of 250,000 schoville chilli sauce at times of stress. I've heard it's "downloadable" whatever that means:)

Hurrikane

Back