Should Mindark update all the current Argonaut's visuals to the new model?

Should Mindark update all the current Argonaut's visuals to the new model?

• Yes!!!

Votes: 48 60.0%
  • No, I think the previous version looks better

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • No opinion

Votes: 19 23.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
02%: I like the second version better, as it looks more like the old original.
98%: The time left beside UE5 is so valuable. Don't waste time on meaningless eye-candies that will be discarded with UE5 anyway.

Repair bugs instead.
Repair bugs instead.
Repair bugs instead.
Repair bugs instead.
Repair bugs instead.
Repair bugs instead.
Repair bugs instead.
Repair bugs instead.

Translation for companies immune to customer feedback:
Repair bugs instead.

You guys have to understand the devs making the models aren't the same type as the ones who make new stuff for the game or fix bugs.
Can't you move some level designers to fix the bugs?

I mean, the new models look nice and better represent the original design. But I feel the consensus is that when considering how little is done yearly to move the needle as far as development goes people would rather not take what little development resources there are for new content and waste them on this type of non-essential improvement.

That being said, I LOVE... and I mean LOVE that you're seeking community input on things that affect the game. But I would prefer more of these types of polls seeking input on core game development/changes. It would be nice if there was a dedicated % of development resources that just went towards community requests/input each year. How do you make a better game? It really can be as easy as ask what people want and deliver it.

Now more than ever... you're spending all these resources to literally rebuild the entire game in Unreal. It's the perfect time to overhaul systems, clean dead mechanics and give the users that have been playing this game for nearly 20 years a chance to help shape what the game will be beyond just what color paint they like on the walls.

02%: I like the second version better, as it looks more like the old original.
98%: The time left beside UE5 is so valuable. Don't waste time on meaningless eye-candies that will be discarded with UE5 anyway.

Repair bugs instead.
Repair bugs instead.
Repair bugs instead.
Repair bugs instead.
Repair bugs instead.
Repair bugs instead.
Repair bugs instead.
Repair bugs instead.

Translation for companies immune to customer feedback:
Repair bugs instead.
I expect that something like this is preparing for the UE5 transition in a way behind the scenes. We're going to see transitions, so I can see this as a test case priming us for it, but also giving the devs an example behind the scenes with something that's already maybe ready for use in UE5.

Even though this thread is about changing the looks of a Argonauts (they changed Sabakumas before that), I can't help to notice that MA seems to learn stuff in a broader picture from the switch to UE5. It seems that some thoughts and lessons-learned make it into CryEngine already and maybe they can "backport" some of the UE5-stuff such as looks of things. Otherwise I can't explain how the game feels slightly different recently from VU to VU.

The recent change was a very obvious one where they changed something with the shader or whatever it is. So the first time after logging in stuff remained black for a couple of seconds and after that moving to some new terrain also takes (fractions of) seconds to draw all. Leaving that blackness aside it seems smoother to me overall and ... I can't explain it ... a bit better.

If MA continues that way I'm really looking forward to see what they can squeeze out of UE5.

I expect that something like this is preparing for the UE5 transition in a way behind the scenes. We're going to see transitions, so I can see this as a test case priming us for it, but also giving the devs an example behind the scenes with something that's already maybe ready for use in UE5.
That's exactly what I was thinking either way I'm just glad that our opinion is being sought.
Having now saw the 2 models I originally didn't care but see now that the new 1 is far superior, like others have said making the "boss" Argo easier to identify and stand out in a swarm would be beneficial for any future events like Mini Mayhem that had them mixed.

Noooooooooooooo

Wont they be upgraded anyways in UE5?

Wont they be upgraded anyways in UE5?
No this is the new model for UE5. Mindark are upgrading the mobs one by one and implementing in game in preperation for UE5. I feel there is still better stuff they could focus on right now but at the end of the day they decide.

Not voting because I don't like the options, but commenting instead.

I reckon almost nobody hunts a particular mob because of the way it looks, maybe even absolutely nobody!
i think we should hunt only creatures that look like balls, different colors and stripes, here and there a texture, why bother to make a design. Oh wait transparent too, we can shoot a pixel.

i dont see why ppl cry for old days when they had this and that on a nostalgic note

i dont see why ppl cry for old days when they had this and that on a nostalgic note
For me, nostalgia is when elements of the past were better than they are today. I have pretty much always preferred good gameplay over good graphics, but have watched many a game improve the graphics over time, but make the gameplay less enjoyable in my opinion.
(An example of both being improved would be the internal graphical damage on motherships, with explosions and fallen objects, broken glass shards etc. It only lasted about one vu and was then removed again, although I cannot see why. So much work must have been done that is still sitting there with the option of being turned on again...)

I am well aware that when something is new we may think something is more exciting, and that entire groups can become less enthusiastic with experience, even if the game doesn't actually change at all. Upgrading the looks (eye candy) can be one way of combatting this for a bit, whilst there is often not much one can do about the actual gameplay if it was already well balanced in the first place. Unfortunately, devs often mess around with a great gameplay too and actually make it less great instead of better.

Sometimes better graphics draws in more players, but retention may not be higher than before; maybe it's worse even. I would assume that for MA the better outcome is not 990 people staying for a week and 10 more staying for 2 years or more, over the grabbing of 50 new long-term players for a longer period.

If I had voting rights but no confidence in the devs behind a game I love in its current state, I might actually vote for them only ever changing the graphics, praying that they leave what I actually care about alone. With UE5 we are destined to see large changes of gameplay anyway, and I do trust the long-term playerbase to know somewhat better the reasons for them still sticking around. Thus, I wish to see more comment and discussion by the players on important gameplay matters, even if the opinions are wide-ranging and not in agreement with each other. It's up to the devs to take up the wisest comments and not the loudest 'cries'..., yes. They should be asking, but thanks Legends for that other poll currently running ;)

I value 20 hours spent on fixing a bug a hundred times higher than 20 hours spent for an old mob redesign.

In 2 days i got used to the new mob design and ignore it anyways while hammering the F key.
But in 2 days I still will be annoyed by the existing bugs.

Last edited:
I'm following this thread looking at the feedback :)

And for those wondering about the visual difference between the new model Argonaut and the old, I've inserted images below:

Old Argonaut

New Argonaut

Oh I DEFINITELY like this new one better! As someone else said, it looks more like the original concept, just brought up to date graphically. I like the addition of rudimentary clothing too. I seem to remember that they had a certain level of primitive intelligence so this makes sense.

Vote had expirec BTW but had it not, I'd have voted for the new one

Last edited:
I value 20 hours spent on fixing a bug a hundred times higher than 20 hours spent for an old mob redesign.

In 2 days i got used to the new mob design and ignore it anyways while hammering the F key.
But in 2 days I still will be annoyed by the existing bugs.

yeh but the artists are not bug fixers... unless they visual/appearance bugs

yeh but the artists are not bug fixers... unless they visual/appearance bugs
correct.
there are so many cracks in the foundation of the game. But MA hires painters to paint over the cracks, where they need construction workers to fix the cracks.

So, we all voted. What's gonna happen now?

So, we all voted. What's gonna happen now?
80 ppl is hardly all. What's gonna happen now is they will probably never do polls again to ask for feedback, unfortunately, given the toxicity generated here and people not understanding the question/topic and derailing

80 ppl is hardly all. What's gonna happen now is they will probably never do polls again to ask for feedback, unfortunately, given the toxicity generated here and people not understanding the question/topic and derailing
And i'm not sure that's a bad thing, they give a false feeling of communication anyway...

Remember mob merchandise?

Nobody cares about polls...Quite honestly.

Argos? Put iron back in and nice guns as the old days. Bottom line. lol

Speak for yourself. I love polls.

PLEASE ask me something. ANYTHING!
What was you returns on Merry Mayhem and what category or ffa? Sorry, unfair..lol Go Katie!!!!!!!!!!

Remember mob merchandise?
What about it?
Yeah, things don't happen at the speed would like. Doesn't mean it will never happen. Maybe 5 years from now, still, they lose the opportunity because if you really wanted to, you could make all of those on your own, for yourself.
Remember Yog took 2+ years to conclude. 2 years seems minimum lag around here and not only on playerbase, but on MA side as well :D

Nobody cares about polls...Quite honestly.
Yeah, polls exist to give the community the feeling that their opinion matters. It basically decides how they word their decision that they still do what they want to do. It's either "Because you decided we do it that way" or "We understand the result, but after a discussion with the <whatever> department the other option will allow us to bring even more improvements in future releases" (or something).

Back