Should personal signs/markers/tombstones be alowed?

Should personal signs/markers/tombstones be alowed?

• Yes, MA to deside with no population input

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Yes, MA to deside in conjunction with population poling

Votes: 21 38.2%
  • No, nothing personal should be allowed

Votes: 29 52.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

James Clayton

Guardian
Society
Spartans
James Bo Clayton
I just visuted Memorial Island again and noticed that the statue dedicateed to Island girl (Tina Lelu) is still not functional there as before. Neither is the tomb to the young baby functional. And then i heard and read a bit about requests for a marker for Boldar (dam i miss siting and chating with him) and another for a sign at the beach (which, for some reason went of track and degraded into a flame war and was locked)

Should there be a method of applying or patitioning to MA for such personal markers. Posibly with a voting system of some sort so as to get a consencis from the entire EU population?

So i ask this question to get a feel from all of you.

I think we have plenty of opportunities to create signs ourselves. If someone wants to put one up in an estate they can. We also have the global ad screens. Not very expensive to use and they get seen widely.

Just my :twocents:

I think that FPC should put signs up/monuments regularly for those recognized by the community. The baby's monument (I feel like an ass for not remembering the name), Island Girl, MegaVolt's Camp, etc. are well deserved by those people. Boldar deserves one too IMO because he had a GREAT impact on the community. I don't think "personalized beaches" or "Menace's Island" however deserve a sign or recognition. I believe that long term SOCs who have played a HUGE part in building Calypso also deserve recognition (Warants, Menace2Society, cK, and the countless other LONG TIME Soc's).

These people and societies are part of the Calypsian heritage and help to tell the story of how our game went from an idea to where we are today. I think SOCs should somehow be given "Head Quarters" (nice houses or castles) where only SOC members can enter unless the SOC leader adds someone to a "guest list" (once the SOC has been around long enough,and recognized enough within the community to have played a valiant role in building Planet Calypso).

Any other company in the world recognizes those who have helped them succeed. And FPC has done the same to some extent (community recognition armor, monuments, special weapons). I just think they should do more of it.

Petitioning to have someone recognized should be heard by FPC and if there is valid reason to recognize these people then they should do it.

Menace

Can't say i agree

Virtual graveyarding, as i call it, no matter how much respect a person has gained is a flawed idea form the start. It's wrong on so many levels which most people don't think about now cause its still in the low figures and rather infrequent.

But really, keep this trend going for 10 years, what will we end up with? I have as much sympathy for people we lose to real life tradgedy as the next person, and my deepest condolences to their families/friends, but eventually we're gonna run out of places to name in honour of people. The reality is, as this game draws on, more and more memorable people might not be here tomorrow, next year, the next decade.

Soon, we'll be deciding who is more worthy of a spot, and this is where it gets ugly.

Newer generations of players come in and have no idea who these people are or what they did. Soon you are left with a small amount of people who even knew the person. New people might wonder why they have to show respect, or why someone else who might succumb to tragedy in their time here, never get's a spot.

So in short, nope. We're a very mature and thoughtful community (rare for these sorts of games), but the game should remain neutral to people passing on and commemorating them IN GAME with some sign/landmark. We can remember people without boards, cities named after them or entire land masses erected in their honour and we don't end up rubbing our emotional attachment into other people's faces who might not share those attachments.

Voted no as it's up to the company that runs the planet, such as FPC, which u left out in the poll.

No.

guys should leave their egos at the log in screen. We really don't need that. It's up to ma/fpc if they think a player has earned a tp/outpost/area/... to be named after someone.

No, only memorials for the game story characters.

I agree with JJO, could not have said it better myself.
I remember when I just started playing, someone told me to place offerings on Memorial Island.
Said this would improve my loot, my reaction was, “WTH ? Who ? What is this voodoo ?” :scratch2:

Much later I visited Memorial Island, on an TP run, and it felt weird standing there.
I felt respect for that person, but at the same time that place felt out of place in this game.

I vote no.

Why?

Because it would create an unfair difference.

Why would one dead avatar get a tombstone, the other a monument, yet another an island, while the next one doesn't get a thing?

I understand, and respect, the wish of those left behind to remember the deceased one, but I cannot see a system which works fairly to all, without hurting others.

Good post by JJO. Sums it up nicely.

I voted yes, the company should decide with player input. As long as its in a specific area, and only for people who are recognized as deserving by the community. Hello, it's called MEMORIAL Island right? I'm not saying everyone should be able to buy a tombstone for their dead budgie or hamster, but there are those in the community that stand out for their contribution... it is only fitting that they be recognized for their efforts. Not a hard concept to grasp, really. Done properly, this could have a positive impact on the game and the community.

R.I.P. Dog

Whats all with this I want signs stuff anyway ?

in the past a few personl things where given yes. But as far as I know ( and i asked once) FPC doesnt want to do it anymore why ? Because of thread like this and other threads. Some ppldont agree some will , and always give a storm.

Now I voted no because lets remain this place as neutral as can be and let FPC just decide (not MA btw) what they want to do.

BTW If you relaly want to have a sign BUY ONE and post it on your APT or HOUSE/LA or what so ever !But dont go claiming lands as you think it is yours (realting to all sort of claiming threads btw )

i vote no...bussinesss do not need to get into politics
and thats all signs cause
unless they point to the direction of my favorite alcoholic beverage

FPC and MA are perfectly capable of making objects after people without using names, if they choose to do so. But it is, and should be, their decision. And, the situation with being able to post signs with participant content yourself, is fine. Take for example a look at the sign of Coop's weapon museum (which is already a dedication) which was added.

As to an example, of something that might be named after somebody without using names, I have a pet I named Sabie the energizer, a snablesnot female. I named her that, because no matter what is in her way, water, mobs, plants, trees, she keeps going and going and going, no matter if you are alive or dead, if you tell her to go somewhere.

Then, months after that, with easter, we get the pink energetic bunny, with a slot for an energy-cell in the back. Coincidence, or inspiration?

I do not know if it even is either one of them. Suppose however, it was inspiration, and it did have my name in it. At first, I would be proud. But, if I ever felt like taking a break, I would feel so guilty about leaving such objects behind, I probably would try to forget EU ever existed, so I wouldn't have to feel the shame of abandoning such a tribute.

Planet Calypso is an amazing planet. It does not need to become dull like the real world, with warning and nametags and labels everywhere and on everything, because some dumb people didn't read the instructions, or did stuff that they were explicitly warned about not doing on the packaging.

Well, if I ran a LA I think I would be seeing green right now. I would gladly bury anyone on my property for the same price as it takes to name a tp, maybe more since I will have to hire some folks to remove tants or something once a week.

Long story short, add some money to it, call it player opportunity and you have added content. But building, naming and installing should all be done player side (this is where the tp greed went wrong) some one crafts the stone, another engraves the name and another installs it properly (or it could break and have to do all those clicks again!) Oh, and flower sales :) Im a fan of player opportunity. Things ran and owned by players, not to buy anything but ammo and mining stuff from MA cause it breaks the spirit of the game.

Maybe could be made like storage, run up to the box type your friends name in and out comes the skull and bones. Worship appropriately, click button and it goes back into the 1 box for everyone's bones.

I Voted No. I Feel JJO Made A Pretty Good Explanation Why.

-Bemo-

I think friendster should be able to request à tombstone but only if it is for à dead player. No babies or any non player that passes should be memorialised. All tombstones should be themsame size maybe designer by friends and with à personalized inscription but no more Then that. Enough room on memorial Island for alot of those.

Back