Should shop and apartment fees be abolished?

Should the Maintenance Fees for existing shops and apartments be abolished?

• Yes, get rid of the fees

Votes: 90 78.9%
  • No, leave the fees in place

Votes: 24 21.1%

• Total voters
The 'rent' fees do not go to Mindark or the planetpartners, but in the so-called loot pool. So it doesn't matter to MA one way or the other.

And you know this how?

MA has stated MANY times that their income is from fees and decay.

I recall seeing NO WHERE that the maintainance fees go to loot pool. If so, it's not right. Let those that go for loot support the loot. Business owners and estate owners should not support the activities of others.

And you know this how?

MA has stated MANY times that their income is from fees and decay.

Wrong. Marco and others have said many times that MA only takes a portion of the decay as fees, nothing else.

Wrong. Marco and others have said many times that MA only takes a portion of the decay as fees, nothing else.

Cannot find it due to the change from EF to PCF. Search doesn't work as nice.

Marco said, decay and fees, such as auction fees and maintainance fees. It also used to say something to the same effect on MAs site. That now has changed too.

You really believe they can stay in business based soley on a part of the decay? Time to wake up.

I believe the initial statement is quite too vague.

Its much more probable that it means that the island owner won't have to pay fees for the shops and apartments and the actual owner of the respective shop and apartment will have to pay the monthly fees as usual.
Which brings us to the matter of item slots and fee amount per month, which is something that will have a huge impact on the properties value, as the apts and shops alone could be worth up to a million peds.

I am all for no Fees,

Unless I get a few things for my Fees... like...

Running water.. ie inbuilt shower and

and A better view than the Side of a Cliff. (omegaton west habitat beta Towers) :ahh:

Fees hinder the economy in game, get rid of them.
And we pay already enough while playing.

If the fees really make a big difference for MA in the end, then we are in serious trouble for this world ;)

Atami

I dont see how getting rid of rent fees is possible for cnd shops its part of the allure of owning the club. As always with MA psy ops, they want to trigger a run on your credit card, shop with out fee would be great and worth much more than regular shop. Still they change stuff too often, buy now, regret later. Weren't they just trying to raise some fees to 100ped?- I dont believe no rent is the true goal.

I dont see how getting rid of rent fees is possible for cnd shops its part of the allure of owning the club. As always with MA psy ops, they want to trigger a run on your credit card, shop with out fee would be great and worth much more than regular shop. Still they change stuff too often, buy now, regret later. Weren't they just trying to raise some fees to 100ped?- I dont believe no rent is the true goal.
The allure of owning the club is to get the tax money from the domes and the shops. Count the number of cnd shops with paid up fees. How much of an allure is it now. The club owner gets money off of taxes, not off of monthly fees. Club owner, and all mall owners should be fighting for no fees just like Ace is.

For those that think MA and or FPC only gets money from decay, please go read post #18 back a page or two. Here was the support ticket reply from a while back that I'll repost here for those that don't want to go back and read...

Hi,

Thank you for your patience regarding this issue. Please accept my apology for the delayed reply.

I have been informed that in such cases MindArk and / or Planet Calypso are the owners in such cases and therefore receive the tax fees.
Kind regards,
In other words, Mindark and/ or FPC are taking money from taxes that are on places places participants don't "own" the LA that the shop or apartment is on, i.e. Sakura, Genesis, Omegaton, etc. If they are taking tax money there, it's likely they are taking it from other stuff then decay... maybe auction fees... maybe whatever other fees there are anywhere in the system. Highly doubt that all money paid in to maintanence fees is returned to the loot pool. Since they won't tell us exactly how the loot pool works, we'll never know for sure what exactly goes where.

Regardless, they should remove the monthly fees since it hurts the economy in a lot of different ways. People are always complaining about how many shops are closed. The monthly fee has almost everything to do with that. Mall shop owners are always complaining about how many shops are closed, making their revenue less - the fee has everything to do with that too. People are always saying the loot pool sucks... well, when an estate owner is not able to break even on their monthly fees, there's less money in the system since they are not depositing or contributing to decay, etc. The fee just stands in the way of making this game better in a lot of ways. I can't find the old quote from Marco about only collecting off of decay at the moment, but if you read the quote in post #18 and some of the others in that other thread I linked to you'll see that he did say something about not collecting a fee off of trading between participants. The monthly fee and collection of taxes on estates like Omegaton, Sakura, Genesis, and probably before long Medusa's Head Island, all seem like a fee between avatars trying to trade...

Last edited:
When the new mall on Medusa island (24 shops = a mall imo) it's quite possible that the top crafters will desert the existing malls leaving them even more empty than they are at the moment.

Still not official acknowledgement that this thread exists though :( seems they always miss threads like this ;)

I went through3 of the 4 pages of this thread. I am not a shop owner, but i can understand the perile of creating double-standards and that the shop and apartment market is stagnated, just because of the fees.

Creating even only 24 rent-free shops will screw all the possibility of a fair competition against any other shop, except booths. I you own a shop with let's say, 200 ped rent fee, you can't possibly compete against someone that is free of this expense. Of course, those that have healthy businesses running running on shops (perhaps less than 24) will jump up and buy those new rent-free shops, leaving all the other malls die out. If i was a shop or mall owner, i'd be pissed about this unfair competition.

If FPC would remove the fees from all shops, then the whole mall economy would pick up again. I would most certainly want to buy a shop then. And i'm certain a lot more other players.
FPC would collect more fees from shop trades than ever before, far more than they would with the fees of the currently operated shops.

It has happened

No more rent: Rent for all shops, apartments and banks have been set to zero. If you have paid rent in advance, please file a support case for reimbursement. Our ambition is to compensate all claims in conjunction with the first release of 2011, which is planned for January-February. Claims made after this release will be invalid.

YAY amazing :)

shopsand apartments now rent free gratz MA and +rep hehe well done for this

RJ Rob

it was always strange to have to pay rent for an own property. Maybe we'll see a better rent system.

No more rent: Rent for all shops, apartments and banks have been set to zero. If you have paid rent in advance, please file a support case for reimbursement. Our ambition is to compensate all claims in conjunction with the first release of 2011, which is planned for January-February. Claims made after this release will be invalid.

YAY amazing :)

shopsand apartments now rent free gratz MA and +rep hehe well done for this

RJ Rob

im skeptikal, link please?

althoe now i don't have to pay a fee just to sit in my grey chair and stare out my apartment window.:silly2:

In the light of new planets arriving, this, although nice, sounds like a desperate move by FPC. But ey, who knows, maybe this is Universe wide huh, or not :l

In the light of new planets arriving, this, although nice, sounds like a desperate move by FPC. But ey, who knows, maybe this is Universe wide huh, or not :l

Well i think more because nobody (80%) doesnt pay it because they dont use it that often. Now with no fee they can enter whenever they want and use it as a storage or something. I kinda interested now in a app :)

On the other hand the maintance fee was a nice and stable income so i wonder what made them decide it

Well i think more because nobody (80%) doesnt pay it because they dont use it that often. Now with no fee they can enter whenever they want and use it as a storage or something. I kinda interested now in a app :)

On the other hand the maintance fee was a nice and stable income so i wonder what made them decide it

probably the fact that 80%+ of people stopped paying their rent.

found link btw: http://www.planetcalypso.com/news/pages/2010/12/08/1438/index.xml

bonus is now people can reopen their shops and give good deals. this means the shops that cater to low skilled players can reopen and actually stay open.

this is not a good thing.
Kill the AH not the rent.

Now we will have less visits then before.
Its the AH that kills the shops players.
The rent is the good thing.
Kill the Auction house and you can afford to pay your rent and the players MUST go shoping.

Oh come on. It would have worked for FPC. Now we will have thousands of shops that are seldom used and the real shops will be more hard to find.

hmmm it says rent-free shops and rent-free appartments, doesnt sound like you have to pay rent if you want to use it.
there will be sale tax though.

Imho we allready have enough empty shops/app around why install more :scratch2:

It has taken me about 30 mins to convince myself that was not a spoof ;)

SERIOUSLY good news for business owners and for the planet as a whole IMO. Well done FPC :yay:

this is not a good thing.
Kill the AH not the rent.

Now we will have less visits then before.
Its the AH that kills the shops players.
The rent is the good thing.
Kill the Auction house and you can afford to pay your rent and the players MUST go shoping.

Oh come on. It would have worked for FPC. Now we will have thousands of shops that are seldom used and the real shops will be more hard to find.

you really don't understand do you.
shops are needed, and auction is needed.

with auction someone with only the pa tp can buy something from someone at lets say for furry.
a shop without rent can sell pixie armor to news at a small markup and stay open, this way newbies don't get ripped off by resellers or someone trying to inflate market prices.
you also don't understand shop fees, some shops had fees of 10-20 ped a month, some shops had fees of 180 ped a month, one shop i believe had a fee of over 1000 ped a month. id like to see you keep up enough stock and sell enough merchandise to pay a rent fee of 1000 ped every month.

in auctions you have reselllers, people who will up bid you.
with shops being able to open up with no fees there is more competition to the market and this means if reseller a wants to buy up all of b and resell it for a certain amount he can't just scan threw auctions, hes got to go door to door. lots more work.

this means i don't have to worry about mr. greedy mc snatchy grabbing up all the p5a at low markup and reselling them at higher markups, i can take my time and search stores to find a good price.

also buying small amounts of materials for crafting is very expensive, often times the buyout on say 100 units of an ore can be a markup of 180% were it should be 105%.

also the only reason i can possibly comprehend as to why you don't want them removed is your iether a reseller or you think the rent fee goes into the loot pool and not ma's pocket book.

:yay: I can put my stuff back in my apartment.

Im wondering.
What is MA/FPCs new businessplan, considering that Rent is gone, Decay is gone (L)..
only deposit? don't think thats a good plan, im not depoing anymore...

whoo hoo! No more rent. Thanks a million MA and FPC!!!

Im wondering.
What is MA/FPCs new businessplan, considering that Rent is gone, Decay is gone (L)..
only deposit? don't think thats a good plan, im not depoing anymore...
I don't think rent was part of business plan... might have been on startup to help pay isp bills, but cost of bandwidth is a heck of a lot lower now then it was when eu first started, they just never adjusted the monthly fees on estate owners to adjust for that til now!!! This is one of the first things FPC|MA has done right in quite a long while.

This actually makes me want to deposit a heck of a lot more when I have the funds to do so IRL.

Last edited:
Nethermind didnt read

okaaaaaaayyy, now i am confused !!

I pay the rent much times before and after VU10 for my appartment - and much others also.
How to hell i would see, by which dates i pay it for ???

Or is it only for NEW rents after this update ?? Think no......
My english are really not the best, but i understand ...we becomes the fee back, that we paid in the past?

A little help or answer, maby in german would be great !

okaaaaaaayyy, now i am confused !!

I pay the rent much times before and after VU10 for my appartment - and much others also.
How to hell i would see, by which dates i pay it for ???

Or is it only for NEW rents after this update ?? Think no......
My english are really not the best, but i understand ...we becomes the fee back, that we paid in the past?

A little help or answer, maby in german would be great !

You can get a refund for the already paid that would end in the future (after the update).

Back