Skill Scanner

I have uploaded Scanner v0.53, introducing the new skill (Resource Gathering) and profession (Resource Gatherer).

The new skill is under the category "Mining", but the new profession is under "Combat", could be an error, who knows... but I have done the same in the Scanner and Optimizer.

In the Optimizer, the new profession parameters are still unknown, so it will take a while to figure out the involved skills and their weight, but as soon as those are known, I'll update the Optimizer DB, and it won't require an update to the Scanner.

I'm glad you continue to code updates as this tool is one of the most valuable available to PE (EU) participants.
Cheers

Reactions: Mac
v0.54

Just uploaded v0.54, including changes from last VU patch:

- "Mining" profession category re-named to "Resource Collecting" (note that the skill category "Mining" has not been changed, not sure why... maybe it will be changed in the future)
- "Resource Gatherer" moved from "Combat" to that new category
- "Spacecraft Engineering" profession moved from "Combat" to "Manufacturing" (this profession still has a name that is more suited for a skill, instead of a profession; hope they change it in the future)

(those changes are also updated in the Optimizer web app).

- Tweaked a bit the OCR to improve the accuracy of the scanner
- Tweaked a bit the handling of the Windows system clipboard (not sure why, but I detected that sometimes the scanner stopped reading the clipboard after pressing PrntScrn, and the only solution was to re-start the scanner, so I tried to fix that)

Quick link: http://jdegre.net/pe/scanner/Scanner54.zip

Wow thanks for the update jdegre, still going strong!
I am glad i paid for your awesome tool ages ago!

I have a question about the chipping optimizer recommendations.

Out of curiosity I was going to see how far away I was from the next level (from 7781 to 7800) and took a scan.

I find it interesting that the chip optimizer is suggesting I fill in with 49.71 ped of Handgun to get to the next level of Laser Pistol (Hit) when all of the other contributing skills for me are comparatively much lower.

I understand that Handgun contributes at 38%, but I am surprised with compression at higher levels that I have not reached diminishing returns in Handgun at this point. I think i was told it wasn't efficient to chip when levels are over 8k.

I have focused on missions that give me Handgun and chipped a little here and there over the years because of the optimizer recommendations. Now my Handgun is over 10k, but many other skills that contribute are a little over half that. Maybe it's counter intuitive for me, but I would think that with compression, I would get more bang for my buck trying to boost up the lower skill categories that make up Laser Pistol (Hit) since they wouldn't be so compressed, like weapons handling at 6k since it contributes at 9%, but none of those other skills are recommended at this time to get to the next level, only Handgun. Can someone explain this to me :scratch2:

I know my skills are messed up now from chipping out and then trying to rebuild so don't :laugh: too hard, it used to be much more balanced before I chipped out years ago, but here are my current Skills for my main profession, Laser Pistol (Hit) according to the scan.

Agility 60%: 87
Courage 3%: 5628
Dexterity 3%: 5460
Perception 2%: 4461
Serendipity 1%: 5331
Aim 4%: 5028
Combat Reflexes 3%: 5388
Coolness 5%: 5408
Combat Sense 5%: 5468
Commando 3%: 3425
Marksmanship 7%: 6915
Handgun 38%: 10445
Weapons handling 9%: 6520
Laser Weapons Technology 14%: 8602

I'm trying to understand this because I'm trying to get my hit up for some higher dps weapons, but my real problem right now is Ranged Laser (Dmg) at 64, it says I need 50k ped for Kill Strike, that's going to take some work! :laugh:

I understand that Handgun contributes at 38%, but I am surprised with compression at higher levels that I have not reached diminishing returns in Handgun at this point. I think i was told it wasn't efficient to chip when levels are over 8k.

(...)

Maybe it's counter intuitive for me, but I would think that with compression, I would get more bang for my buck trying to boost up the lower skill categories that make up Laser Pistol (Hit) since they wouldn't be so compressed, like weapons handling at 6k since it contributes at 9%, but none of those other skills are recommended at this time to get to the next level, only Handgun. Can someone explain this to me :scratch2:

the only thing you may be missing is the price of each skill. from your reasoning above, you seem to take into account only 2 variables: % of influence in the profession, and your current level (what you called compression). there is a 3rd factor to consider: skill prices.

if you have used "default" prices, the best choice with your current numbers is to chip all handgun. but, if you change the handgun skill price to, say, 1500%, then the tool suggests to chip handgun and aim. put handgun at 2000%, and the tool recommends weapons handling and aim, but no handgun at all.

Reactions: Mac
the only thing you may be missing is the price of each skill. from your reasoning above, you seem to take into account only 2 variables: % of influence in the profession, and your current level (what you called compression). there is a 3rd factor to consider: skill prices.

if you have used "default" prices, the best choice with your current numbers is to chip all handgun. but, if you change the handgun skill price to, say, 1500%, then the tool suggests to chip handgun and aim. put handgun at 2000%, and the tool recommends weapons handling and aim, but no handgun at all.

Thank you, I was missing that piece of the puzzle! I will give it a shot and see how it changes things :)

hi,
just to let everyone know that i am aware that the Skill Scanner is not working at the moment - this is just to avoid further PMs :)

fyi, i moved to a different hosting provider and, while the Chipping Optimizer was moved almost instantly with no problems, i found some unexpected problems with the Skill Scanner (fixing these problems will require a new version, v0.55, so i hope i will have it ready later on today, or during the weekend).

sorry about that.

v0.55

looks like things are working fine again with this new version. grab it, as usual, at:

http://jdegre.net/pe/scanner/

some people, who have tried this version before i uploaded it to the server, have reported that it works fine, but i'm still monitoring the new server closely, so please be patient if the system does not run as smooth as it should.

Thank you for all the work you put in the tool, it makes my life so easy.

For those who dont want to donate $5 or 50 ped ingame, you deserve to do the skills manually.

Donation

Thank you for all the work you put in the tool, it makes my life so easy.

For those who dont want to donate $5 or 50 ped ingame, you deserve to do the skills manually.

I whole heartedly agree, I made a donation to Jdegre for all his work after using Skill Scanner for free all the years he allowed us to.

It's worth it to pay a little for a lot of utility in my mind.

Thanks for all the time and work you put into the app JDegre, it is appreciated

my 2 cents.. lol

Dakin:yay:

Last edited:
I whole heartedly agree, I made a donation to Jdegre for all his work after using Skill Scanner for free all the years he allowed us to.

It's worth it to pay a little for a lot of utility in my mind.

Thanks for all the time and work you put into the app JDegre, it is appreciated

my 2 cents.. lol

Dakin:yay:

Agree at all, tnx again for your efforts.

DRM

Donation sent via PayPal, will need to setup account. Good program that I've used in the past but don't recall account info so more than glad to help out. :)

Question: if you have 1000 points in rifle how large a ESI chip would it take to get all 1000 ?

Maybe I am confused and I can use the chip calculator but I can't figure it out.

I want to chip out 1000 rifle points, how large would the ESI chip have to be?

Maybe I am confused and I can use the chip calculator but I can't figure it out.

I want to chip out 1000 rifle points, how large would the ESI chip have to be?

you will have to spend 3.41 PED TT of ESI, and you will get a 3.07 PED TT rifle skill implant.

in the chipping optimizer, you will only get the second value (3.07), since it only gives result in terms of skill implants, not ESIs.

go to optimizer, start with blank values, select show all professions in the drop down list, enter 1000 in rifle, check "chip out", enter 0 in target level, click go, check the rifle row: 3.07 in green, in brackets

the relation between 3.07 and 3.41 is 10% loss, i.e.: 3.07 / 0.9 = 3.41

NOTE: to avoid a common misconception, the above numbers are ONLY to chip out from 1000 points to 0; if you want to extract 1000 points, say, starting from 3000 down to 2000, the numbers are totally different!

So i Quit the Game about 6 years ago and now getting back into it and managed to get a HOF within a week of starting again.
I can't remember if it was the same tool but used something similar back in the days.
My question is if this supports Windows 10 as I have tried a standard screen print just to vie at a later stage in Fullscreen mode, but was unable to view or find the screen shot for that matter.

Thank you in advance.

So i Quit the Game about 6 years ago and now getting back into it and managed to get a HOF within a week of starting again.
I can't remember if it was the same tool but used something similar back in the days.
My question is if this supports Windows 10 as I have tried a standard screen print just to vie at a later stage in Fullscreen mode, but was unable to view or find the screen shot for that matter.

Thank you in advance.

i don't have win10 to test, but to my knowledge from other people, is that as long as you take the screen captures in window mode, it should be fine.

so, if you play in full-screen mode, just hit "alt+enter" to switch to window mode before scanning, and "alt+enter" again to go back to full-screen when you're done with your scanning. i've been doing that myself for the last 6-7 years :p

you will have to spend 3.41 PED TT of ESI, and you will get a 3.07 PED TT rifle skill implant.

in the chipping optimizer, you will only get the second value (3.07), since it only gives result in terms of skill implants, not ESIs.

go to optimizer, start with blank values, select show all professions in the drop down list, enter 1000 in rifle, check "chip out", enter 0 in target level, click go, check the rifle row: 3.07 in green, in brackets

the relation between 3.07 and 3.41 is 10% loss, i.e.: 3.07 / 0.9 = 3.41

NOTE: to avoid a common misconception, the above numbers are ONLY to chip out from 1000 points to 0; if you want to extract 1000 points, say, starting from 3000 down to 2000, the numbers are totally different!

Once again you have amazed me with your knowledge of chipping:wise:

Ok professor:) two more questions:
ONE: I see people selling skills like 3500 rifle if you provide the ESI chip. I did like you said, put in 3500 did the math and came up with an ESI of 45.60, good so far, I think:). Now lets say I have 8500 in rifle right now and I know that I am going up 3500 additional points for the rifle, could I just add the 3500 to my rifle (8500 + 3500 = 12000) to see how much I would go up. I don't think that will work by what I am seeing.

TWO: is there a way to tell how many points are in a Rifle (or any type ofchip) chip. There one on the AU around 335 PED how could I tell how many points are in that chip.

I ask because I have 8438 in rifle and when I calculate the 335 ped chip it goes to 8919 and only raises my level from 80 about level 82.

Thanks for the info professor:).

ONE: I see people selling skills like 3500 rifle if you provide the ESI chip. I did like you said, put in 3500 did the math and came up with an ESI of 45.60, good so far, I think:). Now lets say I have 8500 in rifle right now and I know that I am going up 3500 additional points for the rifle, could I just add the 3500 to my rifle (8500 + 3500 = 12000) to see how much I would go up. I don't think that will work by what I am seeing.

when those 3500 skills points are chipped out (from 3500 to 0), you need an ESI of 45.60, but you will obtain an implant of 41.04 (this is the value you will see in the optimizer).

now, how far will this 41.04 chip will take you, at 8500 points?

go to optimizer, third tab "Calculator", enter 8500 in the field "Initial Skill Level", and enter 41.04 in the second field "Skill Implant Size", click go -> 8546.

yeap, that's correct. those 3500 points (3500 to 0) result in a whooping 46-points increase, at your level.

TWO: is there a way to tell how many points are in a Rifle (or any type ofchip) chip. There one on the AU around 335 PED how could I tell how many points are in that chip.

I ask because I have 8438 in rifle and when I calculate the 335 ped chip it goes to 8919 and only raises my level from 80 about level 82.

that's a wrong question. a filled implant does not contain points. it contains "volume", "experience", whatever you want to call it. so, the chip we talked about before, 41.04, contains a volume or experience that can take you from 8500 to 8546, but will take a noob avatar from 0 to 3401.

the other example you've put, with a chip of size 335 PED, will take you from 8438 to 8919, but will take a noob avatar from 0 to 6079 !!!

Edit: the 3rd tab in the optimizer, "Calculator", has two distinct areas, the first one is used as commented before. the 2nd one is a kind of shortcut to do exactly the chip out / chip in operation. so, an avatar chipping out from 3500->0, how far will take me at 8500? enter 8500 in the "Initial Skill Level (In)" field, and 3500 in the "Skill Level (Out)" field, click go, and there you go: 8546

Last edited:
when those 3500 skills points are chipped out (from 3500 to 0), you need an ESI of 45.60, but you will obtain an implant of 41.04 (this is the value you will see in the optimizer).

now, how far will this 41.04 chip will take you, at 8500 points?

go to optimizer, third tab "Calculator", enter 8500 in the field "Initial Skill Level", and enter 41.04 in the second field "Skill Implant Size", click go -> 8546.

yeap, that's correct. those 3500 points (3500 to 0) result in a whooping 46-points increase, at your level.

that's a wrong question. a filled implant does not contain points. it contains "volume", "experience", whatever you want to call it. so, the chip we talked about before, 41.04, contains a volume or experience that can take you from 8500 to 8546, but will take a noob avatar from 0 to 3401.

the other example you've put, with a chip of size 335 PED, will take you from 8438 to 8919, but will take a noob avatar from 0 to 6079 !!!

Edit: the 3rd tab in the optimizer, "Calculator", has two distinct areas, the first one is used as commented before. the 2nd one is a kind of shortcut to do exactly the chip out / chip in operation. so, an avatar chipping out from 3500->0, how far will take me at 8500? enter 8500 in the "Initial Skill Level (In)" field, and 3500 in the "Skill Level (Out)" field, click go, and there you go: 8546

Ugh, I hate that lol. All those "points" into skill , experience and so on. Ugh again. Hardly a short-cut is available:(

Loaded the latest ver V0.55 and can not get it to work. Running Win 7.

Windows 10

i don't have win10 to test, but to my knowledge from other people, is that as long as you take the screen captures in window mode, it should be fine.

so, if you play in full-screen mode, just hit "alt+enter" to switch to window mode before scanning, and "alt+enter" again to go back to full-screen when you're done with your scanning. i've been doing that myself for the last 6-7 years :p

The Scanner works in Windows 10 just as you describe with no issues. I have been using it since the pre-release, and the Scanner has always worked with the game in Window mode.

Loaded the latest ver V0.55 and can not get it to work. Running Win 7.

Never Mind I just remember that you can not have Tracker running because it captures the screen first. Turned it off and it works fine:)

The Scanner works in Windows 10 just as you describe with no issues. I have been using it since the pre-release, and the Scanner has always worked with the game in Window mode.

Thanks,
Now as a lazy bugger 1 last question. I am sure the answer is in the thread somewhere. Would like to make a donation to make this app work, but will be in PED.
Who do i contact ingame to complete the transaction.

Thanks,
Now as a lazy bugger 1 last question. I am sure the answer is in the thread somewhere. Would like to make a donation to make this app work, but will be in PED.
Who do i contact ingame to complete the transaction.

avatar name in-game is "Jesus jdegre de Gregorio". add me to FL, so we can meet more easily. i'm usually at caly, at jurra plateau

I dont know if I'm having a senior moment or what, but I'm not seeing a way to get the website to tell me what size esi is needed to fully chip out a skill?

I dont know if I'm having a senior moment or what, but I'm not seeing a way to get the website to tell me what size esi is needed to fully chip out a skill?

the tool does not say directly the size of the ESI. it says the size of the filled implant that you would get, if you were to chip out a number of skill points. knowing that the relation between both (ESI size and implant size) is 10%, the rest is pretty straightforward.

example:
- start with a blank sheet in the chipping optimizer
- pick "show all skills" in the drop down list
- enter your current skill points value in any of the skills; e.g., 5000 in Alertness
- pick "chip out" in the radio buttons, enter 0 in the target level, click go!
- in the Alertness row, check the figure in green, in brackets: (135.47 PED); that's the resulting implant size

so, the ESI size you need is: 135.47 / 0.9 = 150.52 PED (10% higher)

Thanks,

Also the PayPal button works fine. Just tested it. :)

the tool does not say directly the size of the ESI. it says the size of the filled implant that you would get, if you were to chip out a number of skill points. knowing that the relation between both (ESI size and implant size) is 10%, the rest is pretty straightforward.

example:
- start with a blank sheet in the chipping optimizer
- pick "show all skills" in the drop down list
- enter your current skill points value in any of the skills; e.g., 5000 in Alertness
- pick "chip out" in the radio buttons, enter 0 in the target level, click go!
- in the Alertness row, check the figure in green, in brackets: (135.47 PED); that's the resulting implant size

so, the ESI size you need is: 135.47 / 0.9 = 150.52 PED (10% higher)

Ah-ha you forgot this part and I quote:

My Question and your reply:
QUESTION:I can not get this to work with Laser Weaponry Technology. I load the blank and put in 5020, select out and enter 0 and no chip in green.

REPLY:
it's working fine. the problem is that the default price of LWT is not higher enough than the default price of ESI, to make the chip out operation "worth it".

in other words, if you were to chip out those 5020 points, the price of the ESIs would be higher than the price of the skill implant obtained.

so, go to the second tab in the optimizer, "Chip prices", and enter prices for ESI and LWT, so LWT is at least 10% higher than ESI.

repeat your cals, and you should get a "better" result.

Back