So what about this "improved " new summon window

jaywalker

Stalker
Society
-TAO-
Juniper Jaywalker Jones
I love that it's now a small window that pops up in the corner of your screen. Much less chance of accidental accept! Exactly what we needed!

On the other hand..I feel that putting it on a timer is a disastous mistake.

Two typical scenarios that occur with crew and passengers of scheduled MS flights:

1) " OMG summon!" - avatar rapidly stuffs hunting loot etc into storage and /or pulls out the stuff they want to transport, prior to accepting summon.

Of course, by the time this is done, the summon has long-since vanished. Especially considering that EU, by Sod's Law, always chooses this moment to lagg really badly.

2) "Nice, ten minutes left til departure" Player goes afk and makes a drink/ phones Mum/ stuffs a peanut butty down his neck/ etc in happy expecttion that the summon will be hanging in the middle of his screen on his return

Except NOW it won't be. It will have popped up, then down again. You;re gonna have just sit there staring at the screen instead.

I'm sure I can think of a lot more scenarios than this. But you get my drift?

jay :)

Still don't understand why we can't have a "summon team" option so everyone on my ship list gets the summon when it is for 1 or 2 people. It's good to have people on the list so I don't have to add them and search for their name to give them gunner rights every time they fly, but I don't need to bother them with a summon every time I leave the planet they are on...

Would love to have the timer stay, but have the option to delay answering somehow an extended snooze button that keeps the summon window on screen till you accept or dismiss it.

That way when you get summons you can accept, decline, delay, or ignore.

Also I agree with foxy that summon team would be a huge advantage for everyone involved.

narfi

Would love to have the timer stay, but have the option to delay answering somehow an extended snooze button that keeps the summon window on screen till you accept or dismiss it.

narfi
hmm. i've an idea that owners are a bit out-of-touch with what it;s like on the ground

i definitely don't want to be stuck there watching my screen like a hawk until an expected MS arrives. that could get really boring really fast. also, as a regular member, i have to watch my screen carefully whilst in flight. those last few minutes before the flight might be my last chance to go afk and grab a bite to eat in a while

Timed summoning :eyecrazy:, only fixes one problem and makes a new one :/

I like how it is But it would be nice to have a "permanent" box to come back to click ......

It's less bad than before but not really a very good solution.

I can't really comment about it since I had more lost connections than real time to test the new VU, anyway the VU announcement about summon really did not convince me to be the right solution.
I still believe that a disable option would have been the BEST way, but we see again and again that using the best option do not belong to mindark's vision of things, (or their best, is not ours).
And yes Jaywalker some more un-necessary lag was chosen as result and consequence.
Hopefully each new vu or patch is assuring us of better server stability and less lag.

I like how it is But it would be nice to have a "permanent" box to come back to click ......

Such possibility could be re-called in the info-center that we find in the friend list when people pm you, or when you cross Land Areas.
In the same logic, the summon could simply appear in the message box right to the chat.

I've thought of another problem with this timer:

We are gonna be clicking hastily.

We are not gonna be reading the message carefully to be sure that the summon is from the right ship.

We are certainly not gonna be scrolling down to read that squashed-up little lootable PvP warning...for what use it is. (What we really need is a message that says "You can take that smug grin off your face. You actually are carrying stackables. They're hiding behind your spare coat, in the box inside the handbag inside the trunk inside the boat, in that inventory tab that you didn't think to check. And a pirate will find them in a fraction of second even if you can't". Or words to that effect )

hmm. i've an idea that owners are a bit out-of-touch with what it;s like on the ground

i definitely don't want to be stuck there watching my screen like a hawk until an expected MS arrives. that could get really boring really fast. also, as a regular member, i have to watch my screen carefully whilst in flight. those last few minutes before the flight might be my last chance to go afk and grab a bite to eat in a while

To the best of my knowledge neither I nor any other owner asked for this.
Like many other players we wanted to see the summon moved such that it didn't pop up in middle of active area, where it could be accepted by accident.
What was suggested, and ignored by MA, was a double click system like for trades.

The new timed out summon is as much a pain for the owners as for those awaiting a summon, as we now get regular pm's saying sorry I missed ticking in time, can you resend.

So in order to get the passengers aboard we need to spam more rather than less... this cannot be good for anyone.

I personally apologise to anyone annoyed by my spamming for Kronan, but I can only work with the nonsense tools MA provides me.

If anyone at MA is listening...

1. Please make the summon box something that remains on screen until accepted or rejected. But please please please not centre screen, nor where accept chat, accept trade chat etc are.. too much confusion

2. Can someone at MA please go read guidance on good practice for e-publishing. It is essential all written material is accessible for people with dyslexia, poor eyesight etc.. a short timed message, in badly chosen colours and without a solid background is about as bad as it can get. Or do they have no disability awareness at all ?

3. If unsure whether players would like or dislike a change to a simple format/location issue why not publish test screenies and allow the members themselves comment/vote on which option they would like to see.
It's not like that would be giving away any game-play changes.

Back