Social Interface Improvement Requests after Vu 14.6.0

Status
Developers, we as a community would like to thank you for working on the UI. We appreciate your work. This thread isn't a bitch thread, but a log of suggestions to make the new chat UI better.

Below you will find a list of requests from various players to make the new chat UI better.

1) Each tab should have the ability to enter chat, and a selectable channel that chat is entered into.
2) Text Size should be adjustable.
3) The Red Bar announcing globals should be able to be moved independently of the chat window.
4) The Red Bar announcing globals should be able to be disabled.
5) We should be able to upload our own avatars to our profiles, the list of avatars provided is a bit cheesy. :)
6) We should be able to use a screengrab of our avatars face live within the world as a profile avatar.
7) We should be able to add certain words to a filter, at our discretion, and either enable or disable that filter.
8) Contact list should be filterable based on context flags.
9) Society context flag should auto populate to Contact List, and auto remove if an individual leaves the society before being added to friends, mentors, etc...
10) The text entry field should clear once text is sent to chat.
11) We should have the ability to bold, italic, underline text.\
12) Older folks are complaining that the colors are too dull. They would like to see the pallet expanded to include some bright colors, and perhaps the ability to adjust the contrast a bit to achieve a darker black on the chat window.
13) More filters could be added to refine what type of system messages appear.
14) Long texts overlap next section. Scrolling does not seem to work correctly on avatar bio.
15) Text length is not apparent while chatting. Max length in messages is frequently reached.
16) Private messages should appear in their own tab.
17) Message center needs to be resizeable.
18) Rookie chat stops working if it is moved to a different tab after a few minutes.
19) Rookie chat is being exploited. People are using it as the new Trade chat for global sales.
20) Rookie chat breaks all chat channels eventually, causing them to become unresponsive.
21) [channel] tags are not seen as necessary.
22) Background color should be customizable.
23) Auction status is a bit redundant. See post by Dan59
24) No need for System tab by default.
25) Rookie Chat should have some sort of moderation to prevent abuse of 3rd party website advertising.
26) Messages should be able to be removed from message interface.
27) Separate trade into #Buying and #Selling
28) Chat logs dont work
29) Borders are too big and not uniform across entire UI
30) Implement Rookie chat as true newbie channel, for questions. Implement Universal chat for other global communication.
31) Rookie chat should be planetary, not universe wide.
32) Nearby names should not display in PvP
33) Add anonymity options to hide full name and society.

To be continued...

Here's the fix for #10: Go to Options, select HUD, then uncheck: Keep Main Chat focus when entering text

In addition - If your friend is seeing you as offline (where your name is dimmer than the rest on contacts list) uncheck "Incognito" in the Privacy Options.

> Really don't want the main chat dialogue to be filled up with PM tabs. needs to be off the main chat area or some other way.

10)

> Really don't want the main chat dialogue to be filled up with PM tabs. needs to be off the main chat area or some other way.

create new tab - filter private messages to it - unfilter private messages from main - done: 1 tab, all PM's

create new tab - filter private messages to it - unfilter private messages from main - done: 1 tab, all PM's

It doesn't work to unfilter private messages from main, at least for me..

1) Each tab should have the ability to enter chat, and a selectable channel that chat is entered into.
2) Text Size should be adjustable.
3) The Red Bar announcing globals should be able to be moved independently of the chat window.
4) The Red Bar announcing globals should be able to be disabled.
5) We should be able to upload our own avatars to our profiles, the list of avatars provided is a bit cheesy. :)
6) We should be able to use a screengrab of our avatars face live within the world as a profile avatar.
7) We should be able to add certain words to a filter, at our discretion, and either enable or disable that filter.
8) Contact list should be filterable based on context flags.
9) Society context flag should auto populate to Contact List, and auto remove if an individual leaves the society before being added to friends, mentors, etc...
11) We should have the ability to bold, italic, underline text.\
12) Older folks are complaining that the colors are too dull. They would like to see the pallet expanded to include some bright colors, and perhaps the ability to adjust the contrast a bit to achieve a darker black on the chat window.
13) More filters could be added to refine what type of system messages appear.
14) Long texts overlap next section. Scrolling does not seem to work correctly on avatar bio.
15) Text length is not apparent while chatting. Max length in messages is frequently reached.
17) Message center needs to be resizeable.
18) Rookie chat stops working if it is moved to a different tab after a few minutes.
19) Rookie chat is being exploited. People are using it as the new Trade chat for global sales.
20) Rookie chat breaks all chat channels eventually, causing them to become unresponsive.
21) [channel] tags are not seen as necessary.
22) Background color should be customizable.
23) Auction status is a bit redundant. See post by Dan59
24) No need for System tab by default.
25) Rookie Chat should have some sort of moderation to prevent abuse of 3rd party website advertising.
26) Messages should be able to be removed from message interface.
27) Separate trade into #Buying and #Selling
28) Chat logs dont work
29) Borders are too big and not uniform across entire UI
30) Implement Rookie chat as true newbie channel, for questions. Implement Universal chat for other global communication.
32) Nearby names should not display in PvP
33) Add anonymity options to hide full name and society.
You have done a magnificent job here, Sir!
I'm positive, if all that gets fixed most of us will be happy.
I'm still struggling with a cold rage each time i see those fkn' ads, but it's good to see at least some ppl managed to keep a cool head and remain constructive. Respect!

+ rep

Instead of having to use #Calypso or #Arkadia or #ArkTrade etc done by players.
They can make the local chat and the trade chat work in whole planet that the respective player is in.
This means no need for those channels anymore.
Then they can add a Universal chat and Universal trade, like rookie. (Only possible to disable). So you don't need to /join it.

This will totally improve the experience i believe, and removes the need to have a channel of each planet chat and trade. They start to clutter up pretty fast.

I honestly can't see any downsides to this.

More room for other custom channels. Less clutter. Perfect imo.

This is a fantastic list. If we all submit this as a support case then they will eventually have to listen.

I for sure do not agree with this one. What happens if someone creates his account and spawns on Next Island!? There isn't a living soul out there to help him. And if he starts his journey on any of the less populated planets who is to say that whoever he can find there can help him or give him the right advice like experienced players from entire universe could. I do think rookie channel should be used only for rookie related topics and be moderated but it should be universe wide.

It could be separated into subcategories though (Calypso, Arkadia, ...) like it has already been suggested for trade channel (buying, selling) so players can decide if they want to ignore one of the planets.

Edit: Actually I think that this is the only channel that should be universe or planet wide (not including soc of course).

Last edited:
I can't figure out how to change someone's name in the Friends List.

It may not be a Huge deal, But I like to make simple notes, like what they prefer to be called, or if they're a Fapper.

Buy Out is not anonymus any more, do we need to create fake ava to get arround of this ?

Buy Out is not anonymus any more, do we need to create fake ava to get arround of this ?

oh that's pretty interesting.. at least one upside is for when people accidentally sell something below what they intended, they will know who to try and contact..

In addition to what I've seen posted so far.

1) No way to rename avatars unless they are on friends list, this option should exist for any name in the contact list.
2) No way to move tabs from top corners of screen.
3) Please re-instate shortcuts for channels. /s for /society, /tr for trade, etc.
4) PM's need to be completely redone and taken out of main chat and made easier to manage on the fly.

Last edited:
Channel Management Commands

There are many shortcuts available, may need to experiment with system a bit to find more. This from release notes:

Channel Management Commands
•/create (or /c) - Create a new custom channel. Channel names must start with a "#" symbol and may not contain spaces.
•/deop
- Remove channel operator status from a channel member.
•/invite (or /i)
- Invite a player to a custom channel.
•/join (or /j) - Join a public custom channel
•/kick (or /k)
- Kick someone out of a private custom channel.
•/leave (or /l) - Leave a custom channel.
•/listchannels - Lists channels with names containing
•/listmembers - Lists all members of a custom channel.
•/listmuted - Lists all muted members of a private custom channel.
•/mute (or /m)
- Mute a member of a private custom channel.
•/op
- Grant channel operator status to a channel member.
•/set (or /s)
or
- Sets a custom channel privacy status to public or private.
•/unmute (or /um)
- unmutes a muted member of a private custom channel.
•/unmuteall - Unmutes all muted members of a private custom channel.

Contact Management Commands
•/ignore
- Ignores an avatar. All further chat communication from an ignored avatar will be blocked.
•/listignored - List all ignored avatars.
•/return (or /r) - Reply to the latest received private whisper.
•/unignore
- Remove ignore status from an avatar.
•/whisper (or /w) - Send a private whisper to someone.

Miscellaneous Commands
•/emote (or /em) - Perform the specified emote. use /emote ? for the available emotes.
•/help (or /?) - View help on a specific command. If a command name is not specified, a list of available commands is displayed.
•/pos (or /p) - Create a position link with your current coordinates in the text input field.

Thank you for a great list of improvements requests!

I've personally taken care of this information and forwarded it to Mindark. They are working very hard to enhance the Social UI from your improvement requests. The goal is to release as much good stuff as possible for the patch next week and I'm convinced that you will like the new improvements :)

Cheers!

1) No way to rename avatars unless they are on friends list, this option should exist for any name in the contact list.

Nearby players are listed, but are not saved to your friends list. So even if this is changed(if possible) to how you want it, any nearby players you renamed will reset back to original after they go off your list and come back.

If you really want to be able to rename them, add them.

40) an master OFF button for us unsociable bastards :)

Thank you for a great list of improvements requests!

I've personally taken care of this information and forwarded it to Mindark. They are working very hard to enhance the Social UI from your improvement requests. The goal is to release as much good stuff as possible for the patch next week and I'm convinced that you will like the new improvements :)

Cheers!

ah thank you. Well I hope they improve on the font size...........very important IMO

• Rookie chat should be moderated! One way to do it is by implementing vote kick so if someone is using it for promoting 3rd party websites, others can vote kick him and (lets say if he gets 5 votes) he gets a 24h ban from rookie chat.

I know you mean well, but NVE would eat this up. all our channels would belong to them.
(or other groups of asshats)

I pretty much like the new interface but text colour in chat should me much clearer and brighter.

The message center needs some work to, why dont i get a popup or like the old message icon when i get a new message or is invited to a chat channel.
Like it is now i dont see whats going on because i dont always look at the chat, i can sometimes hear the message sound but when i look at chat that message is gone allready (i usually kill off the mob im doing before open the chat window, and that might take some time when i have many mobs on me).

And then when i open message center i see tutorials and stuff i have no interest in at all.

But overall i must say that i like the new chat, just needs some adjustments...

Great list of imp req! I really hope thay fix it soon?

As always with fucking Mindark. IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FUCKING TRY TO FIX IT.

There was NOTHING wrong with the old system. You can add certain features here and there without having to completely overhaul it and trash it in the process.

There were already chat channels. Yes the rookie channel is a nice addition (totally copied from EVE), but that could easily have been added to the old chat system.

Also, number 10 on the list, like WTF are these developers smoking?!

Another example of not only something that was just not at all needed, but not properly tested before being released.

This is what the developers waste their resources on. :hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer:

So much for acting on what the community actually want to see implemented... how about the return of the taming system that players have been waiting nearly 5 YEARS for.

I don't believe I've ever come across complaints of the old chat system. There have been recommendations for features to be added here and there, but not once have I seen a recommendation to turn the system into a dysfunctional mess.

Go to any ecommerce seminar and they will tell you NEVER change the base layout of your website, it will alienate people and make them uncomfortable with using that website.
Look at Google: they have made small aesthetic changes, but not once have they done a complete overhaul. Even removing the underline from hyperlinks in search results was seen as highly significant.
Look at Amazon: yes they've made some upgrades to their graphics, but everything is still in the same place and changes are always subtle.
The same principle applies within this game. You completely changed a system, that wasn't even dysfunctional, and replaced it with a system that has
  • removed large amounts of functionality
  • duplicated and forced a function the majority of people originally disabled by choice
  • added functions that are insignificant and overly complicated
  • taken the old user interface, put it in a blender, and then shat on it
  • made it painful to look at
  • given us a truly global channel which will completely change/remove the dynamic of the game's vastness

My opinion? Put the old system back in place, and if you really want to then add SOME of the new features to the old system. Being able to see if someone on your friend's list is AFK is neat, but it's still insignificant.

Also, hire some people who know what they're doing.

Last edited:
Message centre needs to allow text copy (for shop owners etc who like to copy info to spreadsheet like time and name of sale). This was simple and quick with previous UI, now its manual typing while switching screens which is CRAP :dunce:

Please let me know how you rename anyone, even if they are on your friend list. Cant figure it out with new UI...

The Red Bar Announcing globals is partially obscured by the chat window buttons so you cannot even read some of what it lists...given that you cannot move it, that is just dumb in the extreme.:dunce:

you can configure this

sorry if any of below are duplicates, I only read the OP
*) rename the copy item link -> copy item type link, as that is what it really is atm
or add the ability to link to the item itself (makes way more sense), we all know each item has a uuid anyway
*) the tutorial messages in messaging center should be possible to delete/filter
*) sales messages should have clear indication of total income (minus all sale costs, including placing cost)
*) activating FL on logon is not needed
*) the options to disable voice chat etc are not stored on logout
*) all PMs should result in a notification
*) ingame events should be made more visible, maybe a special channel?
*) auction should also notify about when your bid is overbid by someone as before

Last edited:
My opinion? Put the old system back in place, and if you really want to then add SOME of the new features to the old system. Being able to see if someone on your friend's list is AFK is neat, but it's still insignificant.

Also, hire some people who know what they're doing.

hate to be a negative nancy but totally agree with this lol :laugh:

the chat window does not give the correct ola name with a global, or nothing at all.

With this issue the entropialife tracker does not pick up a global made on the land area.

Please check all land area names and write them correct in chat window as before.

Anyone else noticed this?

Something else I have noticed private message ( I will not call them whispers) notification now sucks.
the top left stupid ear thingy changes to a very dim yellow color .then you gotta sometimes click 2-4 times to get to the message. Hard to notice and not in anyway an improvement.
Its a backstep from what we before.

I like that we have universal chatting. Awesome! :) I want this feature kept.
Unfortunately the background and text are now too washed out for me to read. I have healthy good eyes just cannot be bothered to strain them to read when there is not enough contrast.
Am honestly puzzled how it is that people think reducing contrast is good idea for chatting. Text has been washed out and background also washed out. How could that have happened?

Copy item link do not copy weapon tiers and dont show real TT of item so no big help with that info in chat. - copy weapon link i trade - selling weapon wih unknownt TT and with unknown number of opened trier slots

Status
Back