Some ideas about mining

DevAng

Alpha
Society
Freelancer to the end ;)
Sinful DevAng Angel
Since something happended to me while I was mining , I started to do a little thinking about how deposit sizes and how much you can get out of them are calculated, as well as how skills and tools help in that matter.

So I came up with this theory :scratch:
I would like to hear the opinion of other experienced miners (since I have little experience) and see what you think :)

It's about how is calculated how much you can take out of a deposit depending on the skills of who prints the claim for that deposit (for what I have seen , the moment when you print the claim is when those calculations are made).

Many discussions on how tools are important or not, I believe they really make a diference. I don't think MA would put so many different tools in the game if they didn't had any diference between them (except for the obvious decay and reload time).

I think that in the moment you print a claim it's calculate the number of pulls that you can make from that deposit. A deposit has a number associated with it that refers to it's size and it would be crossed with the player's skills to get to the number of pulls you would be able to make.

So some of your skills (perhaps those like Geology, Surveing etc) as well as the finder tool you used helped to determine the amounts of pulls you could do. The finder you use (MF-102 , OF-103 , whatever...) would also be important , in my opinion they could have a skill modifier just like lasers and scopes that could help you to be able to make a couple of more pulls from that deposit. ;) Then using the tt value of the ore and stones per pull were used to determine the name of the deposit.

Let's say we have an ore that is 10 pec per stone. It is calculated that that deposit has a max of 40.5 pulls for that deposit (yes , it has decimal figures since the last pull is always smaller than the rest) and supose that the max amount of stones per pull you can do in that deposit is 15 stones per pull.

So you have 40.5(pulls) x 15(stones per pull) x 10(pec per stone) = 6075

So you can have a 60 ped HoF here :D

That is 60.75 peds maximum you can have in that deposit. That qualifies as a "Great" deposit (not sure , but lets pretend ;) ).

But now the mining/drilling comes into play. You have a max of 15 stones per pull (I know it's more than that but lets forget about that too lol) but now each time you make a pull your skills (drilling , mining , etc) and the driller or miner you are using (again , the tools should help there) are going to determine the amount of stones you have in that pull (13 - 12 - 15 - 14 - 13 ... and the last on would be like 7 stones or so).

So like this you would have some of your skills determine the amount of pulls you can do and the other skills determine how much you would get for each pull (with a little help from the tools you are using). So now what could be a 60 ped Hof/global if you were lucky , because of your crappy skills it might become a 40 ped deposit (not bad , but not global ).

That's why a deposit name (like Great) sometimes can give much diferent tt value.

Now remember , this is just me making up stuff lol , so if you think that some of these things are nonsense please say so , I would really like to hear opinions from ppl who know more about this than me.

Thank you for your coments (good or bad) :)

Interesting post.

I'm no expert, but I personally think that the equipment plays a minor role in
mining. Still, it would be logical if it acts as a multiplier for your skill. This means that a newb wouldn't have much use of 105 equipment (compared to 101), but for someone with 1-2k in skills it makes a bigger difference. It wouldn't be right if you could fork out 1000 PEDs for the best equipment and begin to profit right away.

Last edited:
Darkaner said:
Interesting post.

I'm no expert, but I personally think that the equipment plays a minor role in
mining. Still, it would be logical if it acts as a multiplier for your skill. This means that a newb wouldn't have much use of 105 equipment (compared to 101), but for someone with 1-2k in skills it makes a bigger difference. It wouldn't be right if you could fork out 1000 PEDs for the best equipment and begin to profit right away.

If you get a hit that is.

What your saying makes sense to me at least. The thing now should be to verify all this by experimenting when you mine. But i have to agree with you that somewhere, an of-105 has to help somewhere to find better stuff or else whats the use of buying such a big tool. Also skills are important to be able to extract higher ores and bigger depots... so my guess is, there's an equation out there to be found... or at least like with everything else MA make... we can always try :)

Greetz and nice post

That's probably the reason why everybody doubts the importance of mining tools, because it's actually very hard or even impossible to know for sure how they work and how much they help unless MA would explain to us how it works :p. I can't remember of any way to test that accuratly.

But merely following logic I think MA wouldn't put all those tools (finder and extractor) there (with are basicly the only thing you need to mine unlike hunting were you have weapons and also atachements) unless they provided with a significant help for the player.

But of course , in the way that I said in my theory, just using the tt tools it's perfectly possible to get huge HoFs and such, only if you used higher tools it would be that same hof plus a "few" more peds ;) The thing is that it's hard to prove :(

Ok I know this is gonna sound weird.. but could someone give me the size deposit list again... I can't remeber what comes after or before what! And also how many peds should be inside those deposit.

Thx

Greetz

Last edited:
ElbryanWolf said:
Ok I know this is gonna sound weird.. but could someone give me the size deposit list again... I can't remeber what comes after or before what! And also how many peds should be insede those deposit.

Thx

Greetz

Same here i did have a print out went to post it for you and its gone. lol

Minimal
Tiny
Very Poor
Poor
Small
Modest
Average
Medium
Ample
Considerable
Sizable
Large
Abundant
Great
Substantial
Significant
Plentiful
Huge
Extremely Large
Massive
Vast
Enormous

0.00 - 0.25 PED
0.25 - 0.50 PED
0.50 - 1 PED
1.00 - 1.50 PED
1.50 - 2.40 PED
2 - 4 PED
3 - 5 PED
5 - 8 PED
6 - 12 PED
10 - 16 PED
16 - 24 PED
24 - 35 PED
25 - 50 PED
40 - 85 PED
60 - 130 PED
100 - 200 PED
150 - 230 PED
230 - 330 PED
300 - 400 PED
400 - 650 PED
590 - 1650 PED
1100 - 1750 PED

:rofl:

Very BIG Thx Kalashi :D

Greetz and have some rep for the good deed :)

Kalashi , if I didn't do the correspondency wrong your chart says : Great --> 40 - 85 PED

But I've had Great deposits worth of 38 peds and such

But thanks for the post anyway :)

reps to devang for a good thread, kalashi for the help...

im gonna throw something wierd ive noticed out there... i dont think it can really be used to anyones advantage, or if it can, not on my level of mining...

deposits are generated at the moment of setting off bombs/probes, not before, and they refresh the calculations once every couple of in-game days. i found this out the incredulously monotonous way...
ill set off a bomb in some remote spot, lets say the deposit is "poor"... cancel the search. watch the spot for a couple of days, to make sure nobody else mines there perchance... then redo it a couple days after (any sooner and its the same amount)... the deposit will then be anywhere ranging from tiny to sizable. if you mine it, wait a couple days, then remine, the ores will often be back there... but the larger the initial deposit, the smaller the follow-up generated deposits are. so, in all reality, if you find a really huge deposit and continue to mine the regenerated materials for days, eventually te deposit dwindles down to where youd be getting more in a fresh place.
thats why this isnt such a great money-maker... usually, when considering a short-term period (a couple of weeks), the amounts youd be drilling would be less than enough to account for the time you LOST not moving on to a new area.
on the other hand, if someone mined one helluvalot, and say, kept a chart of every spot they ever found deposits... the time it would take to cycle through the whole chart (if theyve found enough deposits) would be enough for the initial deposits to regenerate fully. but that would take knowledge of one HELL of alot of places... there arent that many people whove been mining that long and keeping charts of their discoveries...
dunno if that made alot of sense... lol ;)

Zasz said:
i found this out the incredulously monotonous way...
ill set off a bomb in some remote spot, lets say the deposit is "poor"... cancel the search. watch the spot for a couple of days, to make sure nobody else mines there perchance

hmmm how should I tell you this :laugh: People have found diffrent deposit sizes , up to hof size , in buildings ,big rocks, crashed ships , houses in which they can't enter and can't claim the deposit ...even after months those deposits are still there so you should have asked this instead of loosing time watching a spot for days ;)

Zasz said:
on the other hand, if someone mined one helluvalot, and say, kept a chart of every spot they ever found deposits... the time it would take to cycle through the whole chart (if theyve found enough deposits) would be enough for the initial deposits to regenerate fully. but that would take knowledge of one HELL of alot of places... there arent that many people whove been mining that long and keeping charts of their discoveries...
There are many olt time miners that have enuff spots ,keeping records of their discoveries , trust me , there are !

Last edited:
That's one of the most importants things in mining, knowing a lot of places ;)

That "growing" part of the deposits , like Mr Claude said (can I just call you Claude? :p ) they don't just grow for ever , that would be too easy to just let a deposit on an isolated grow and then extract it when it was vast. It can however grow up from minimal up to a certain maximum size, but there is no way to prove that , since you can't say for sure that the specific deposit you talked about wasn't extracted while you were offline and regenareted again before you checked it again.

Thanks for the posts :)

Mr Claude said:
There are many olt time miners that have enuff spots ,keeping records of their discoveries , trust me , there are !
i know there are. read the WHOLE sentence.
Zasz said:
there arent that many people whove been mining that long and keeping charts of their discoveries...
THAT many, dude. yeah, there are the uberminers with their k's in mining... but its not like theyre the bass players of Han Dold City, as are uberhunters....

I don't want to derail this thread too much, but I need an honest answer. Does uber mining tools really help? Are they actually better than the noob tools? I've been testing a few tools and I can't find any noticeable benefit to higher end tools. Of course, i'm still a fairly new enmatter miner.

In the next VU, i'm hoping they will allow miners to loot/mine better tools (we can loot spaceship beacons now, why not buried treasure? :) ). I'd really love an enmatter finder with a longer and deeper range.

Please MA, mining could be so exciting with a few advancements and goals for miners. The spaceship/dungeon was a good start.

Back