Question: Some questions about explosive weapons

jwestonmoss

Alpha
Francis Merlinfire Sureshot
It seems like explosive weapons work a little different than other weapons and it's hard for me to find good info explaining it.

So I tried out rocket launchers and I noticed two things right away, the projectile could physically miss on top of the normal roll to hit chance. Also, I noticed I was using ammo even when I wasn't aiming at an enemy, unlike other weapons. Is that a bug? If neither of these is a bug, it seems like there are some big differences. Also if someone could explain how the damage allocation works. Thanks

All what you described is correct and intentional mechanics. Also remember that your ammunition comes with markup. You will go broke very quickly hunting with rockets. Leave them for PVP hunters.
Damage is split evenly between nearby enemies, but total damage remains the same. The more enemies that get hit, the less each enemy takes.

Just going to give my opinion on this as I have been using rocket launchers for a number of years. You and Katie are both correct that often the projectile will over shoot the mob you are aiming at and that you use ammunition even if you shoot and you are not aiming at a mob. The older players will tell you that this used to be the case for all weapons. If you shot a weapon but were not aiming at a mob then you would use up ammo. MA changed this a number of years ago so that you only use ammo when you hit a mob. They did not change this for rocket launchers so be careful with your shots.

Regarding Explosive Projectiles - This is a bone of contention for many players particularly crafters as a lot of gamblers stopped crafting normal items and switched to Expolsive Projectiles because you did not have to collect materials to do the clicks. You just purchase the nanocubes from trade and then craft away on condition only. If you are serious about rocket launchers then I recommend getting a explosive projectile 1 blue print with 100% quality rating and craft your own EP's. Do this on quantity, this is cheaper than buying EP's from AH, which attract a higher MU as they are also used in recycling blue prints. You also have the chance of globalling when you craft them. When your skills permit it buy an EP 2 blueprint with 100% quality rating and click that instead. I have considered buying an EP 3 BP at 100% QR but the cost is prohibitive as the gamblers want the 3 and 4 BP's

Regarding the launchers themselves. There are always loads of noob launchers as they drop on small mobs, but once you start skilling up it is often difficult to finder the launcher at your level.

What are they good for. I use them on small mobs that agro a lot. for example foul, ripper snapper or small atrax. Run around, collect a train of mobs then stand in the middle of the mobs, point the launcher at the ground and fire, repeat until they are all gone.

Note that if you shoot the ground in PVP with a launcher then you will inflict damage on yourself.

Admittedly they are not the most eco weapons in game but they are a lot of fun

as you pass Lancehead level head to ark
Nusul drop a mid level launcher with decent frequency
(Find them near chemical factory TP)

thanks for the info. as an extension on this, when i was looking for grenade launchers yesterday, i ran across a few flamethrowers on auction, how do those factor in?

So I tried out rocket launchers and I noticed two things right away, the projectile could physically miss on top of the normal roll to hit chance.
my opinion is that rockets are partially bugged. i have filed support cases telling mindark about the bug and im sure other have as well, for some reason they dont think its important enough to patch this up..

my guess is that couple of years back when mindark redesigned the aiming and cross hairs they unintentionally broke rocket launchers.

what i think is broken is that sometimes (like10% of the time) i shoot and i get the animation of rockets exploding on contact with creatures but no damage is done, no missed message, no creature evaded, just nothing.. and that is a bug.

the part where u burn ammo even when not aiming at targets is not a bug.

i feel mindark could fix this bug by making rockets not burn ammo if no target is hit, just like other weapons, this would also fix the bugged part of rockets.

i would suggest you make a support case and ask for refund of ammo burned

another problem i ran into yesterday in grinding on the cauterguses or whatever, is that the rocket impact seems to be based on the model, and once c-cows close to melee, i guess the rocket launcher is clipping through their model or something, and it just sails right through them as if they aren't there and either hits nothing, or hits some other group 100M out. differs mob to mob. humanoid (stand upright) mobs are shaped differently and don't seem to be effected

another problem i ran into yesterday in grinding on the cauterguses or whatever, is that the rocket impact seems to be based on the model, and once c-cows close to melee, i guess the rocket launcher is clipping through their model or something, and it just sails right through them as if they aren't there and either hits nothing, or hits some other group 100M out. differs mob to mob. humanoid (stand upright) mobs are shaped differently and don't seem to be effected
This is all about hit boxes which has also been a bone of contention for a number of years. Some work was done to improve this but it still has issues

the questions are all valid , ive used ep since i started ,Ep weapons are fun to use and can be devastating in pvp and on group hunts with more then one ep weapon how ever all these questions should be aimed at the dev team as to why we as in the ep user and constantly fucked over, the real questions should be these ,

1 why did all the craftable and lootable rocket / grenade launchers stop dropping when u let the puny rocket and a mid size L rocket continue to drop in loot, making it extremely hard for people to skill there way up to the UL negators, sga and exterminator rockets

2 why are ep uses discriminated against but way of its the only ammo that cant be bought via a tt and uni ammo cannot be used in use of ep

3 why ammo is used up when not in pvp and not directed at a target

4 why also then when u hit the target u get no hits and no miss recorded ,IE like a tree just popped up and blocked the mob ammo is used not hit no miss no evade dodge recorded kind a like its a fake picture of a mob

5 why are they the only weapon type left without attachments or amplifiers

i have and will continue to use ep like i have for 13 plus years but for fucks sake enough is enough throw us a fuckin bone for once

EU is sometimes an absolute fest of dealing with bugs.
I have found that on auto-firing at a mob, if you switch to fap then back to explosives, the first shot will likely reduce your ammo count but do no damage. That can be quite a waste. I thus stop the auto after a heal and pick up the launcher without it firing. Then I can resume using it.
It also seems mobs in range do not always pick up the full tt, so the loot server seems to pay back somewhat less, i.e. lower in the normal payout ranges for shot cost than would be expected.

For quite a time, however, I had the problem of mobs such as atroxes going half invisible, and the only weapon I could inflict damage with was a launcher aimed at the ground. That was a big up side to having a reasonably powerful launcher in inventory :).

good call, i didn't even realize they don't have amps for EP. wow, that's a big deal. yeah, we need those, and the apparent bugs also fixed. i'm fine with having to actually craft EP ammo, personally.

Been a few months, and yeah, I'd love to see explosive weapons get some improvements to make them practical outside PvE

amps and fixing the ammo consumption issues to start

Back