Space/Mothership Fail

Nihilist

Elite
Society
Cult of the Skull
Dave Nihilist Quantison
In my opinion this whole role out of motherships seems like a big fail.. an MA ped grab.. its a massive online role playing game for gods sake.. why aren't we building these ships? you know adding something extra for crafters/miners/hunters to gather and then work together at creating them in some way?

sure space will be ready to go and in use pretty quick (for those with a big ped card). but wheres the RPG element?

space does sound awesome and i'm all about it as its been one of the things i've though would be a cool element to this game for quite some time.. but to me this just seems generic.. the role out of the motherships is an obvious ped grab with no role playing elements to it at all.. "get the biggest hof and win a mothership", "pay as much ped as you can for the first ships as we release them one at a time so the most impatient of you bid them to top dollar.. one at a time"

absolutely 0 rpg element, sure i'm interested in watching the auctions and hoping the prices are affordable... but seriously.. this is pre-fab apartments in space.

ay ay captain, id have to agree

You're absolutely right!

These spaceships could be a major boost to the economy, with all kinds of basic resources being needed to craft. From ALL professions: mining, hunting and crafting, maybe even sweating!!

It would be a major undertaking constructing one of those giant ships, a work of a few weeks gathering and looting all the necessary parts, but they missed this opportunity of improving the economy and entrepreneurship.

What will players give a better feeling? that they acomplish something after a few weeks of "work"? or letting them open their wallet and just buy a ready item right of the shelf for a price that is ridiculously high :(

When will they learn...

I agree....but am not suprised by the type of implementation.

They dont get a shitload of peds if they let us loot it...

In my opinion this whole role out of motherships seems like a big fail.. an MA ped grab.. its a massive online role playing game for gods sake.. why aren't we building these ships? you know adding something extra for crafters/miners/hunters to gather and then work together at creating them in some way?

sure space will be ready to go and in use pretty quick (for those with a big ped card). but wheres the RPG element?

space does sound awesome and i'm all about it as its been one of the things i've though would be a cool element to this game for quite some time.. but to me this just seems generic.. the role out of the motherships is an obvious ped grab with no role playing elements to it at all.. "get the biggest hof and win a mothership", "pay as much ped as you can for the first ships as we release them one at a time so the most impatient of you bid them to top dollar.. one at a time"

absolutely 0 rpg element, sure i'm interested in watching the auctions and hoping the prices are affordable... but seriously.. this is pre-fab apartments in space.

If you want that play EvE. :silly2:
Did you really expect something new or innovative? Again it's just a few new models, some textures attached to it and cash, but for MA that already is breathtaking.

Id say the word fail is too harsh at this point, as I think its not too late to show ma what we really feel. But I generally agree, perhaps they will see all this and make the nessacerry adjustments in future updates, since Eu is in a never ending work in progress state.

If you want that play EvE. :silly2:
Did you really expect something new or innovative? Again it's just a few new models, some textures attached to it and cash, but for MA that already is breathtaking.

eve? ugh.. i'll take my happy ass to swtor! - ; )

MA and the PP missed an excellent opportunity to reboot the storyline and recommit to adding a scifi narrative to the universe.

Imagine a EBN series of news updates. Communications have been received from a fleet of ships via a wormhole. The ships will attempt to use the wormhole (if and when it reappears) to travel to our galaxy.

Slowly, over a period of days, new ships make the jump. Not only are the ships a welcome addition, but they carry dozens of unique items that have never been seen in our worlds.

Aside from that the pilots bring a message of hope. We are no longer alone. Our earthly brethren now know our location and will be reestablishing ties. Hopefully, the <insert evil sounding alien name> haven't been monitoring the fleet. If they have, Calypso and the other planets may be in for an invasion hundreds of times worse than anything the robots ever attempted.

Hm yes, there are quite a few problems with this type of release:
1) No one knows how many ships will be released. People do not know that when crafting either, but speculation would be less with crafting releases. I am quite sure of that.
2) People will pay overprice for the first ships, then it will go down.
3) The price may not go down, if the people who bought the first ships decides they do not want to lose that PED and therefore manipulates or drives up prices to make sure it stays high. Again, much harder to do if crafting as then several ships would be released at the same time.
4) Someone with a fat wallet can just buy up ships until MA decides the "market is saturated" and then sell them off at even more than he paid (just look at estates).

etc

If they have, Calypso and the other planets may be in for an invasion hundreds of times worse than anything the robots ever attempted.

And then SDS could create some new nice "aliens takes over cities and forces people to the outposts and into hiding in the forts and strongholds" storyline, and then people would complain about not being able to go to Twins and other cities and trade because they are overrun with aliens, and how SDS is stealing the storyline from something else and... :laugh:

Anyways, yeah a storyline or something for this would be much nicer :) even a "The Calypso Provisional Government has decided..." message with some space quests for Mothership-owners to do would be better ^^

Aside from that the pilots bring a message of hope. We are no longer alone. Our earthly brethren now know our location and will be reestablishing ties. Hopefully, the <insert evil sounding alien name> haven't been monitoring the fleet. If they have, Calypso and the other planets may be in for an invasion hundreds of times worse than anything the robots ever attempted.

Reboot? You mean utterly fuck up? Our Earthly breathren know where we are, we all arrived on spaceflights fromEarth at various points after all. The location of Calypso is not somehow a secret.

I'm going to wait till 21st June to see if its a fail or not.

I think selling the mother ships is ok but i agree having to build them would have been cooler. Until more details are put out about the function/profitability of the ships i remain open minded, but if i was a hangar owner i guess i wouldn't be best pleased atm.

I wouldn't say a fail at all, but lets see if they are not heavily bugged first :).

Thinking back on many of the things MA has implemented, like items, events, etc, there are so many ways they could have added layers of depth to EU but routinely they don't because it might "interfere" with their perceived PED flow.

What surprises me is that making an engaging event/implementation with depth and thought would appeal to a wider audience. It might also help remedy EU's perception of being a money sink where the masses are fleeced while the same ole same keep making it look so easy when its not.

I won't make any predictions but I have a pretty good idea where the majority of motherships will end up and that is not by chance but by design which is the way EU has been ran for quite some time IMHO.

Last edited:
I think they way they are awarding the free ones is stupid. All 'highest loot' type contests seem silly to me.. Skippie gets lucky and gets a 40k ATH.. That's not good enough? Now he gets a free mothership too? But the dozens of other people losing tons of ped trying to do do the same, well, fuck you very much too? Gee thanks MA. Reward the rich again. Sign.

I think they way they are awarding the free ones is stupid. All 'highest loot' type contests seem silly to me.. Skippie gets lucky and gets a 40k ATH.. That's not good enough? Now he gets a free mothership too? But the dozens of other people losing tons of ped trying to do do the same, well, fuck you very much too? Gee thanks MA. Reward the rich again. Sign.

MA's way all or nothing, almost nothing between the two. Some of us just go on doing what we do and ignore these events, as we know if even attempt we will lose more then we can afford.

I won't make any predictions but I have a pretty good idea where the majority of motherships will end up and that is not by chance but by design which is the way EU has been ran for quite some time IMHO.

exactly.. i don't see anything good coming from this auction style roll out. (well except MA's bottom line)

aint it like that everywhere ppl with a big bankacount have big toys, joe average has to pray on a windfall but usualy gets fu.. o ehm .. the finger.

I first thought is was some other complain post when I saw the title, but when I read it completely it really makes sense.

It would been nice that people need to gather parts (like with the hangar introduction) and then need to build the ship themselves. Now there is no surprise element anymore we know what is coming and when.

They could send a message like "The Entropians scientists are advancing with space travel, but they need parts and some extra blueprints, they are sure tat some of the parts can be found on various planets by mining hunting and crafting"
It would been a great race to build something without knowing exactly what the capabilities are and let us find out how everything works.

I make no illusion, it would still be an ava with peds who has the first one, but at least a lot (maybe 100) different parts that are build and wound would give a lot of players a small bonus.

Last edited:
There will very probably weapons and shield to craft

Talk to Hanne, maybe she can let you buy one with CFD?!? ;) :laugh:

To be honest I dont think there is a way for them to win on this one. If they made them craftable there would be all sorts of whining about 'Only the uber crafters win' or 'Only the rich will be able to get the parts together' or ' Yeh thats right a 'insert well known player or omg it was a new player' looted the BP'

so I think they have done what they did and we can have a go.... or just not bother... Its up to you :)

exactly.. i don't see anything good coming from this auction style roll out. (well except MA's bottom line)

From a business perspective, that's all that really matters.

hmz

who says that there won't be craftable ships, apart from the motherships?

why aren't we building these ships?

Why aren't you building these ships RL?

Erm.

Could something be, like, out of your league?

Like naturally?

EDIT: "I looted red paint! I wanner paint red square on the map to make it my land area!"

Last edited:
Why aren't you building these ships RL?

Erm.

Could something be, like, out of your league?

Like naturally?

EDIT: "I looted red paint! I wanner paint red square on the map to make it my land area!"

sure its out of my league to build a ship in RL.. this isn't RL.. this is RPG.. or at least i thought it was RPG.. so is building a VTOL but from the looks of it all i need to do is gather up a BP and a bunch of components and i can craft a VTOL.

The Mothership looks to be just a flying apartment with turrets and shield generators.

Think consortium, 4 ships won in the event and all the others owned by one group.

Mother ships for ubers
Fighertrs for noobs
what's for the midlevel players?
MA loves milking the mid level players.......that's the reality!

But I don't mind MA trying to generate some Cash for itself.... and the players with deep pockets are paying for it..
In the end it's not MA who is gonna pay money to the players... it's the other players who have the money to pay for it....

Having said that a story line like the following would have been nice!
MA and the PP missed an excellent opportunity to reboot the storyline and recommit to adding a scifi narrative to the universe.

Imagine a EBN series of news updates. Communications have been received from a fleet of ships via a wormhole. The ships will attempt to use the wormhole (if and when it reappears) to travel to our galaxy.

Slowly, over a period of days, new ships make the jump. Not only are the ships a welcome addition, but they carry dozens of unique items that have never been seen in our worlds.

To be honest I dont think there is a way for them to win on this one. If they made them craftable there would be all sorts of whining about 'Only the uber crafters win' or 'Only the rich will be able to get the parts together' or ' Yeh thats right a 'insert well known player or omg it was a new player' looted the BP'

so I think they have done what they did and we can have a go.... or just not bother... Its up to you :)

Yes you are right.... and personally I want MA to be financially solvent.... and let them get the cash from ppl who can afford it.... period!

who says that there won't be craftable ships, apart from the motherships?

Well, unless the space VTOLs and Medium fighters are the first vehicles you can loot from mobs, these are bound to be craftable. Which IMNSHO pretty much means that yes, there will be craftable spaceships.

By the way, its interesting that we will have plasma cannons on the motherships but that there is no heavy plasma weapons profession for sniper & damage.

Back