State of the Universe Address 2016

It does not matter at which OS other malware is targeting.

The question is: when will someone try to hack protected EU accounts?
It does not matter if it is protected by GoldCard or by app.

GC scenario:
Your PC is infected by the EU-malware and shows you a faked EU login screen.
It then takes your valid Username, password and GC code.
After that it shows you error messages.
The hacker has then enough time to empty your account.

Advantage: you can notice that something is wrong and can desync the GC by entering wrong codes on the website before hacker can use the stolen data.

App scenario:
Your PC is infected by the EU-malware and gathers your username and password by keylogger.
Your phone is also infected by the EU-malware and generates codes for itself

You wont notice it until your account is empty or login is blocked while the hacker is doing it.

As almost everybody connect the phone to the Wifi, so it could be also possible to infect phone/PC eachother.

But all these scenarios are useless if nobody dares to hack protected accounts :yay:

It does not matter at which OS other malware is targeting.

The question is: when will someone try to hack protected EU accounts?
It does not matter if it is protected by GoldCard or by app.

GC scenario:
Your PC is infected by the EU-malware and shows you a faked EU login screen.
It then takes your valid Username, password and GC code.
After that it shows you error messages.
The hacker has then enough time to empty your account.

Advantage: you can notice that something is wrong and can desync the GC by entering wrong codes on the website before hacker can use the stolen data.

App scenario:
Your PC is infected by the EU-malware and gathers your username and password by keylogger.
Your phone is also infected by the EU-malware and generates codes for itself

You wont notice it until your account is empty or login is blocked while the hacker is doing it.

As almost everybody connect the phone to the Wifi, so it could be also possible to infect phone/PC eachother.

But all these scenarios are useless if nobody dares to hack protected accounts :yay:

I could give you several examples of malware attacking specific OS.

What most people think will happen is that the APP will produce the one time code and its good until use and doesn't expire.

More likely it will be a 30 second timeout key every 30 seconds.

An easiest scenario: a daemon that sits tight on your phone and does nothing but watching until you try to log in to entropia site with your login/password, which it grabs and saves (then you use your auth app to generate a code, but it's not the time yet). Then daemon waits until your phone is in sleep for hours, preferably at night time, then launches the auth app, makes a screenshot, and emails out the screenshot, the login and the password (in case of 2-steps verification with sms, it's just few more steps). Optionally it can even remove itself and all the traces afterwards, you won't even know what hit you when you log in in the morning and shit your pants.

That motorola phone is fine IF you live in the USA. Dare I say it, most of the EU population do not live in the USA and quite a few I'd think live in countries where $39 US IS quite a lot. I don't have a smartphone for the very simple reason that I don't need one - or indeed any other kind of mobile/cell phone. And incidentally, its £77.00 on Amazon UK which is about $109 US. Not so cheap.

For goodness sake. I picked the US as the three people most recently worried about not being able to afford a phone were in the US.

Here, here's a british source for a cheap smart phone. £20.

Once again, I reiterate, if you're able to run Entropia then you're likely able to have a smartphone. In a country where $39 is a lot of money, I would question who has the modern computer to run this game.

An easiest scenario: a daemon that sits tight on your phone and does nothing but watching until you try to log in to entropia site with your login/password, which it grabs and saves (then you use your auth app to generate a code, but it's not the time yet). Then daemon waits until your phone is in sleep for hours, preferably at night time, then launches the auth app, makes a screenshot, and emails out the screenshot, the login and the password (in case of 2-steps verification with sms, it's just few more steps). Optionally it can even remove itself and all the traces afterwards, you won't even know what hit you when you log in in the morning and shit your pants.

Meanwhile, in the real world...

If you are really so concerned about your phone being hacked or anything then just buy a cheap android phone (hint: there are some which goes to as low as $30 or so, which is close to the price of a gold card), never put any sim card in it, permanently disable wi-fi and bluetooth once the application is installed and just use like you use your GCard now.

Later edit: Sorry, it seems someone else said this before me (my bad for posting before finish reading all seven pages of content).

Cardless ATM

You only have to read until the 2nd paragraph, don't worry.

For those who "can't afford" a smartphone:

Moto E

That's $38.99. If you can't afford that, I would consider turning off your computer to save on the electricity bills.

I must admit I'm floored by the amount of people who are playing a modern, advanced concept game (full 3D RCE); yet are complete technophobes when it comes to smartphones. They are obviously the future of technology and will integrate into your lives more and more. Resisting it is kind of like resisting TV when it was introduced because you prefered Theatre and Radio...

Because of Kitty's illness, we rarely leave the house. A $17/mo land line is all the phone we need. $78/mo for two cell phones is half our electric bill so, no it is not reasonable and because EU would be the only reason for it $39/mo per participant is an outrageous and unacceptable subscription fee.

So my 3 year old tablet that was $30 US dollars black Friday sale at Walmart will be able to run this app even though I can go to the Google play store and see other apps not compatible with this device? And how do you know every device is going to be able to run this app? Again my GC works just fine!

So my 3 year old tablet that was $30 US dollars black Friday sale at Walmart will be able to run this app even though I can go to the Google play store and see other apps not compatible with this device? And how do you know every device is going to be able to run this app? Again my GC works just fine!

Maybe and maybe not. Lets face we have no idea what MA plans are or even if they will come to anything i would not worry about yet kitty this MA they come out with all sorts of crap. I am sure your not the only one who dont have smart phone or dont want to spend money on something just so can log in.

gold cards

The best news ive heard so far!

Security
MindArk is developing a new two-factor authentication system that will gradually replace the Gold Card Security System currently in use. This new system will be released as an app for popular mobile platforms for all Entropia Universe participants.!

I for one do not want the security of my EU account dependent on an app . PLEASE keep the gold cards . If it is not broken there is no need to fix or alter the system !

Maybe and maybe not. Lets face we have no idea what MA plans are or even if they will come to anything i would not worry about yet kitty this MA they come out with all sorts of crap. I am sure your not the only one who dont have smart phone or dont want to spend money on something just so can log in.

Indeed. I am very much hoping it is as much of a priority as the pet system was.

Or Space.. 5 years now and still waiting.

Aye people may have thought it was a long wait for taming -> space is actually gonna beat taming on waiting time of made promises this year...

Or Space.. 5 years now and still waiting.

For me personally, as long as all of space is PvP, I don't want anything to do with it even if they were giving away a million ped. MA can take space and stick it. Worst idea ever. Unless they remove GC. Then space becomes second worst idea ever.

I'm a bit chocked so many don't have a mobile-phone? I don't know one single person over 15 that don't have a phone. :silly2:

It's no sure the app will generate a code that you will use to login with on your computer. I think when you login the EU system will send a "request" to the app for authorization and you will then enter a pin-code in the application, that you have chosen when you installed the application, to approve the login. So it will be no code for any hacker program to "screen shot" or otherwise steal from the phone. But both solutions is a possibility, and both are in combination with your normal password a safe solution.

im sure if ma make a app for phone it will be imposible to brake and trobble free:laugh:

If it supports Android 4.0 then 99.99% it will support said application too.

For example, my blizzard authenticator runs on an iPhone 3 which is like 10 years old or so. :p

For me personally, as long as all of space is PvP, I don't want anything to do with it even if they were giving away a million ped. MA can take space and stick it. Worst idea ever. Unless they remove GC. Then space becomes second worst idea ever.

I dont do mining, thought i would still support any changes to be done by mindark to improve mining for those players who are into it.
I dont spent much time planetside (though i do check back once in awhile with the dustballs most people call home) but i very much support any changes needed to make those planets more attractive to players.
There is game areas designed to be pvp and there is areas designed to be non-pvp and some are pvp areas are lootable ontop - its good to have variety in entropia and for everyone to choose whast they prefer.
For space and the concept of upgradeable spaceships to work lootable pvp is essential otherwise there is no incentive for the beforementioned concept yet to take part in those activities is a free choice made by players.
Just because some dont like every concept offered within entropia universe shouldnt mean that some concepts need to be removed/changed.
Variety and choice as well as all encompassing rce with a risk vs reward concept is what makes this game attractive to a wider customerbase - yes things need to be improved/developed/balanced but removing content/concepts is not the way to improve.

It looks like they clarified it. :)

Source:
http://www.entropiauniverse.com/bulletin/buzz/2016/02/26/Two-Factor-Authentication-Update.xml

Two Factor Authentication Update

In our recent State of the Universe Address, we announced plans to release a new two-factor authentication system later this year:

MindArk is developing a new two-factor authentication system that will gradually replace the Gold Card Security System currently in use. This new system will be released as an app for popular mobile platforms for all Entropia Universe participants.

This announcement sparked lots of speculation and discussion on community forums, so we wanted to clarify several points to address some of the concerns raised by participants.

1. Account security is MindArk's highest priority; any new security option that is made available to participants will make Entropia Universe accounts more secure, not less.
  2. MindArk will continue to support the existing Gold Card Security System for participants already using the system, including after the release of the planned mobile two-factor authentication system described in the State of the Universe Address.
  3. Eventually the Gold Card Security System may no longer be offered for purchase in the future, though again, participants already using that system may continue to do so.
  4. The authentication system included in the planned Entropia Universe mobile application will natively integrate Google Authenicator, a well proven, highly secure industry-standard two-factor authentication solution.

Rest assured that the security of Entropia Universe accounts is our highest priority. Our development team looks forward to offering increasingly more secure and flexible tools for Entropians to keep their accounts secure in the future.

It looks like they clarified it. :)

Source:
http://www.entropiauniverse.com/bulletin/buzz/2016/02/26/Two-Factor-Authentication-Update.xml

Two Factor Authentication Update

In our recent State of the Universe Address, we announced plans to release a new two-factor authentication system later this year:

MindArk is developing a new two-factor authentication system that will gradually replace the Gold Card Security System currently in use. This new system will be released as an app for popular mobile platforms for all Entropia Universe participants.

This announcement sparked lots of speculation and discussion on community forums, so we wanted to clarify several points to address some of the concerns raised by participants.

1. Account security is MindArk's highest priority; any new security option that is made available to participants will make Entropia Universe accounts more secure, not less.
  2. MindArk will continue to support the existing Gold Card Security System for participants already using the system, including after the release of the planned mobile two-factor authentication system described in the State of the Universe Address.
  3. Eventually the Gold Card Security System may no longer be offered for purchase in the future, though again, participants already using that system may continue to do so.
  4. The authentication system included in the planned Entropia Universe mobile application will natively integrate Google Authenicator, a well proven, highly secure industry-standard two-factor authentication solution.

Rest assured that the security of Entropia Universe accounts is our highest priority. Our development team looks forward to offering increasingly more secure and flexible tools for Entropians to keep their accounts secure in the future.

Thank you for sharing this. I feel much better with this more detailed explanation. Also big kudos to MA. I love how much more responsive you are to the community than what you were during my early years as an Entropian. :)

Even though i hardly use space and its not for me its just another thing that MA rushed in to split planets up and make some quick cash sell ships. It has so much potential just look at some of johns ideas, but unfortunately i think MA lacks the money and experience to make it what it should. The could bring in a new player base too, maybe space should be sold of like planet too.

Seriously just split space amongst the PP's and let them manage their own regions.

Variety and choice as well as all encompassing rce with a risk vs reward concept is what makes this game attractive to a wider customerbase...
(Earlier in same post you write: ) For space and the concept of upgradeable spaceships to work lootable pvp is essential otherwise there is no incentive for the beforementioned concept...

There have been numerous people in the past saying that having all of space as lootable pvp is something they oppose, including me. And I disagree that having it all pvp is essential. So, once again for the record (cracked?): longer but safe routes between the various business partners we know as planets please.

Once people have been the long route once or twice and satisfied their demand for freedom of choice NOT to have to do something they don't want to to get somewhere (enter lootable pvp), I fully expect most to travel to and fro with warp-capable ships from then on, or at least often when it suits them better.

I agree that upgradeable ships of different types needs a lot of pvp, but I expect people will WANT to fight each other in many cases, not to be running valuable supplies at risk.
Those people will also want to FIND each other... = battlegrounds.
Sure there can be rewards to winning out in space that are more advanced than simply loot-all pvp!
Choices, yes?

ps. spike: I doubt the PPs will want to look after bits of space - at least until better features are put in I expect it to be platform-generated, i.e. MA development

I'm a bit chocked so many don't have a mobile-phone? I don't know one single person over 15 that don't have a phone. :silly2:

I think fluske is the only one who has said that they don't have a mobile phone, which I agree is unusual but is a perfectly valid lifestyle choice, and it's not anyone else's place to criticise that.

Some other people have said that they don't have a smartphone. A lot of people still use older style flip-phones and such, things with buttons. I did until about 9 months ago when I got a smartphone for the first time, and only because my old phone broke. The new one is so much of a pain in the arse that I'm considering going back to a flip-phone.

One of the major problems I have is that it takes forever for my phone to do anything that requires wi-fi, even with a high speed wireless connection, so I can only assume that trying to log in with Google Authenticator would be incredibly frustrating, if it can do it at all.

I do not use smart phones have no intention to. I have ordered a spare gold card. So my lifetime expectancy in this game is when both my gold cards die.

I do not use smart phones have no intention to. I have ordered a spare gold card. So my lifetime expectancy in this game is when both my gold cards die.

They'll continue the GC for probably two more years.

Cya

I think fluske is the only one who has said that they don't have a mobile phone, which I agree is unusual but is a perfectly valid lifestyle choice, and it's not anyone else's place to criticise that.

Yeah, I probably mixed up mobile and "I don't have a smartphone", today that feel much like the same thing. But anyway it good the old players that have a GC can keep that for now. And the share of new players that don't have some kind of smartphone and/or tablet can be huge.

Bump. Now I understand the picture of the girl. She's wearing the new jumpsuit!

I want plot content already! And where is compet beta?

Back