FYI: STEAM is offering a new service, I encourage all to submit Entropia Universe to be made available on STEAM!

Devs, please submit Entropia Universe to STEAM so we can vote for it.

I think Devs need to make the initial submission:

madevssubmitgame.jpg

Kim can you arrange this please so that the community can vote for Entropia via steam :)

Cheers,
Viper

I think Devs need to make the initial submission:

I checked the link and I was just about to say that. This is a service for developers to submit their creations, and the users rate them thereafter.

I checked the link and I was just about to say that. This is a service for developers to submit their creations, and the users rate them thereafter.

Yea, sorry I posted in #2 asking for them to make a submission :)

Bump for this:)

I support this 100%! :wise:

Please make this happen MA.

why?

why do you want entropia client to run through steam?

i dont see the point of opening a programe to open another programe, seems pointless to me

Well I guess that one reason would be that Steam has a few million users online at all time, many of which check the online store now and then for some free or cheap games to download and play... Or it is simply convenient to have all games collected in one place (saves desktop space too).

You guys do know that you can already add Entropia to steam, right?

Games > Add a Non-Steam Game to My Library... > Entropia Universe

(The overlay works.)

As for steam distribution, that I am not so sure about. Steam has a lot of younger users. Maybe Entropia could be avalible only to older players? Then again, a lot of the released games on steam are not targeted at the younger audience already. So maybe it's not a problem.

Last edited:
why?

i dont see the point of opening a programe to open another programe, seems pointless to me

Well I guess that one reason would be that Steam has a few million users online at all time, many of which check the online store now and then for some free or cheap games to download and play... Or it is simply convenient to have all games collected in one place (saves desktop space too).

Steams main advantage is once a game is bought you don't have to buy it again. There are no CD's etc. The system will remember what you bought and you can re-install it should you burn, reformat, etc your hard disk. Can also use it on another computer if you need to. This is not so much an advantage for Entropia Universe as the game is free but good for games you normally pay for it's quite useful.

This is not so much an advantage for Entropia Universe as the game is free but good for games you normally pay for it's quite useful.

So why bother then? Current Client Loader is good as it is so why do you want to make things more complicated?

So why bother then? Current Client Loader is good as it is so why do you want to make things more complicated?

Steam has an optional overlay that you can bring forth at any time. What it provides is voice chat, better chat system and the steam friend list. So for example you can speak or chat to someone who is playing another game.

And just because the game runs from steam that does not rule out that it can also run without steam.

4.5 million users online at peak times daily is worthless. Sure, we don't need it. :lolup:

But yeah, MA officials surely should look into this.

I'd suggest you use steam yourself, which is free and then you can make an informed decision yourself. Knowing what it can and can't do etc..

4.5 million users online at peak times daily is worthless. Sure, we don't need it. :lolup:

But yeah, MA officials surely should look into this.

:)

I'd be very surprised if they haven't looked into it allready. I think Kim mentioned it once, can't remember where or when...

I'd suggest you use steam yourself, which is free and then you can make an informed decision yourself. Knowing what it can and can't do etc..

:)

I'd be very surprised if they haven't looked into it allready. I think Kim mentioned it once, can't remember where or when...

i have steam for other games, and i just think it is a pain in the ass, i have to launch steam to play the game, and it has to be running all the time, my system is a bit old, and EU takes up enough of its resources without another programe running in the back ground doing lots of shit i dont need, we have a friends list in EU already, and i just use programes on my laptop for teamspeak.

I dont think letting another programe take over the client loader duties is needed, or that it will bring much needed customers to EU. It would take away some of the benifits of the client loader that we have now also such as the adds banners.

...STEAM ...

By all that is holy, NO!

because...
PS. You need steam installed and to be logged in ......

and...

i have steam for other games, and i just think it is a pain in the ass, i have to launch steam to play the game, and it has to be running all the time, my system is a bit old, and EU takes up enough of its resources without another programe running in the back ground doing lots of shit i dont need, we have a friends list in EU already, and i just use programes on my laptop for teamspeak.

I dont think letting another programe take over the client loader duties is needed, or that it will bring much needed customers to EU. It would take away some of the benifits of the client loader that we have now also such as the adds banners.

Every experience I have had with Steam has been reminiscent of those times you throw up in your mouth a bit, and have to swallow.

NO!!

By all that is holy, NO!

because...

and...

Every experience I have had with Steam has been reminiscent of those times you throw up in your mouth a bit, and have to swallow.

NO!!

My experience has been completely different. Haven't used it recently but when I did I had no issues it with, but point taken it's probably not everyone's cup of tea...

I wonder if your issues are related to amount of RAM memory on your computers?

I use STEAM myself on few machines. It do have it's pros but we already have voice chat and Friend List in game. Secondly it can hog quite a bit of system resources changing game experience on low-end machines. Not to mention glitches and bugs that occasionally happen, just as if we do not have enough of these already.

In my opinion only small % of mentioned user is marketing target for MA. Far better effort would be further advertisement around Internet on MMO related websites and development of platform.

P.S.

Not all games require steam to be installed e.g. Eve online. There is a steam version, but all it does is launch the client, you can play without steam as well.

My experience has been completely different. Haven't used it recently but when I did I had no issues it with, but point taken it's probably not everyone's cup of tea...

I wonder if your issues are related to amount of RAM memory on your computers?

Yeah, look, my rig is not a good benchmark for performance, so that will definitely be colouring my impressions. My major problems have resulted from issues with the content distribution side, such as failed and restarted downloads and the like, which become a bandwidth drain. I realise this may not impact in more developed environments, but for many it can be a real showstopper.

P.S.

Not all games require steam to be installed e.g. Eve online. There is a steam version, but all it does is launch the client, you can play without steam as well.

That would be the way to go, in my opinion - let those who do benefit from the Steam structures use them, but allow people to avoid Steam if it's their preference.

P.S.

That would be the way to go, in my opinion - let those who do benefit from the Steam structures use them, but allow people to avoid Steam if it's their preference.

I suspect this is the reason why MA have not decided to implement on steam for time being. It would probably mean more work for them to develop and test under steam as well as normal.

Steam? Run away..

Not that I have had any issues with steam, I see this as a good way to advertise the Entropia Universe :)

Cool idea

You might also want to check this out - an older thread a while back with input from MA:

We have recently contacted them regarding this, can't give any more info at this point.

Cheers

This was back in 08-02-2011 so I guess nothing came of it. Perhaps it was because Entropia didn't have the clear revenue model of other F2P games out there and could easily allow Steam to earn from referrals. Other lesser known F2P games in Beta stage even are/were featured on Steam so I don't see a reason why Entropia, pretty well known and established game, won't make the cut. Reason probably lies in the different way Steam could potentially profit as the F2P model is different when compared to classic free item shop games.

this is a great idea. the user base of steam is massive. just to have entropia listed there as a game could potentially bring many many thousands of new players.

just because a game is on steam, doesn't mean it won't run without it.... i personally use steam and have icons on my desktop of games that i have, and use those icons to open those games circumventing the steam platform.

I think this is a worthwhile iniative, I have posted on Kim's profile to investigate further :)

Bringing new players is good and all, but from the Steam community?

I do use Steam a lot, but I would not want to see the game there. Sure I have thought of it several times, although adding Entropia Universe to Steam would not only bring positive feedback, but also negative ones.. and at a greater number as well.

We have to remember that this is a Real Cash Economy game, and there is a lot of young people (less than 20years) on Steam.

And I dont think Steam accept RCE type of games in their F2P or even Games list.

I would love to have Entropia in my steam game list! However don't forget that Valve will get a nice revenue share IF Entropia is run through steam. So I think if anything it's probably the money side that keeps EU from going on Steam. I don't think they need a vast hyped community showing how valid their business idea is anymore.

Back