Stop mutilating selling threads after it sale

BruuD

Elite
Society
Ex Cons
Ace "BruuD" of Spades
Most of us would benefit if we stop renaming selling thread titles to “sold” and remove the contents of the post after the sale has taken place.

It would do to simple add “(sold)” as sufix or prefix, but leave the rest of the title and post contents there.

This way people can still find it in the future and see who sold it, preferably also with the price of that time.

We all know why those people do it. They want as little information as possible to be available to other buyers/sellers, so that they can have the advantage of prior knowledge in a future transaction. In protest to this I always intentionally leave the prices up on my sales so that it may help somebody in a barter or dissuade them from taking a bad deal. The only time I edited a sales post was when I changed my mind on selling it recently after posting, no bids were made.

Simply being able to go back and see previous edits of the post would be a good workaround and stop this behaviour.

Yup the reason they remove it is they hope they can snatch another item without the seller knowing it's potential "new" value.

Sucks but nothing we can do about it. Having a rule that threads MUST have a price would help. Don't know what to ask? Price check!

We all know why those people do it. They want as little information as possible to be available to other buyers/sellers, so that they can have the advantage of prior knowledge in a future transaction.

Yes exactly, but let me ask you this: Even if "they" display the price for the sold item would you trust that information? The individuals that you refer to tend to spread misinformation, manipulate markets and even fake trades to increase their items values.

Also I rather have that the price is removed from threads since there is also those that refer years old selling threads as correct price on an item and expect to get the item for that price.

Well i like the "sold" sellers and "bought" :)
The good thing about them is i wont trust them and pay 20% advance to pull item from mayhem vendor .. this is just one example :)

Yes exactly, but let me ask you this: Even if "they" display the price for the sold item would you trust that information? The individuals that you refer to tend to spread misinformation, manipulate markets and even fake trades to increase their items values.

Also I rather have that the price is removed from threads since there is also those that refer years old selling threads as correct price on an item and expect to get the item for that price.
Of course everything can be faked if you try hard enough, but at what point do you suspend your belief? A seller that bumps his own locked thread with a supposedly accepted BO price with an undisclosed individual doesn’t carry much merit in my mind, but a thread where the buyer with a non-hatchling account bids a price and the seller accepts it, I'll generally just take their word for it that the transaction happened as stated.

In regard to old threads with possible outdated prices, I think its pretty easy to convince most buyers of the inflation, unless they are an idiot and don't understand the game economy

Somehow my suspicion is that those eager to demonize other forum users for reducing their market impact in this manner are the same folks who treat the identification of market impact as a sufficient condition for establishing market manipulation on the auction. :laugh:

I don't have a super strong policy opinion on this one way or the other. It should be noted that potential buying/selling decisions are not independent of how likely the transaction price is to become public record; I have personally stopped bidding on auction items because I had low confidence in my ability to win a bidding war, and didn't want to jack up the market value in case another copy of the item was listed later. Counterparties may change their bidding behavior if they believe they can ask the thread creator to omit the transaction price, and thread creators may ask different prices depending on whether they plan to do so. I don't see why one way is necessarily better than the other; if anything, perhaps buying and selling decisions in trades without public record better reflect buyers' and sellers' true preferences. Personally, I leave the vast majority of my prices visible after a transaction, but in very rare cases, such as to respect the counterparty's request, I will omit them. I wouldn't be heartbroken if this privilege was removed, but I guess my preference would be to leave it up to the individuals involved just as with other trade thread offer design details.

If someone was truly sufficiently bothered by the fact that some private trades don't leave public receipts, I guess they could archive every trade section page, manually or algorithmically, and if they so desired post a public list to undermine the thread creator's and counterparty's decision.

I think that must be a rule or just dont let us to "edit" the first post where we have to put that info. in my selling post i dont delete the price if i have tell it, i just add sold and in some scenarios y actually put at what price so people can know it.

I mean, putting it as sold without a price is better than putting it as sold for an outrageous not real price so...pick your poison :D

Sometimes the buyer/seller do want to keep the price hidden.

Better to check with buyer and/or seller through a pm.

Back