Suggesting chat filter/ban for public chat channels while in space

Society
Titans of Space
John Black Knight
After years of having witnessed alot of crying, whining, bitching and taunting in public channels by many people who lack abit of selfcontrol and manners when it comes to pvp i think it will be a good idea to have some kind of automatic chat filter in place which kicks in when an avatar uses to many 'naughty' words in public channels.

Even if someone has done something considered terrible by others it should still and always be possible to discuss concerns in a polite manner or with guns and support shouldnt need to be involved with every minor dispute.

The above filter would sort people out who lack a certain level of manners/selfcontrol and silence them for awhile in public channels.
This could also be used by support to silence certain avatars who get repeatedly reported for using foul language.
The more often a repeated use or uncontrolled burst of foul language occurs the longer such a ban from public channels could be (including custom public channels).

From chat channel, right click the avatar link, then select Ignore Avatar :yay:

I just want globals and hofs ignored by people on my ignore list.

Your best idea yet John.

From chat channel, right click the avatar link, then select Ignore Avatar :yay:

This only works for yourself and you will never know if someone on your ignore list is badmouthing you publicly seen by all others.
If someone cant talk properly in public, he should be given some time thinking for himself before talking in public again.

I agree. Good suggestion. The ignore feature we have now is more appropriate for personal harassment.

This only works for yourself and you will never know if someone on your ignore list is badmouthing you publicly seen by all others.

Theres more important things to worry about in life, than what those you have ignored are saying about you. :)

Could you expand on why you think this should be limited to only 'space' channels please?

I'm thinking here of other channels such as 'Rookie', which can become quite heated at times.
Yes, there is the ignore function, but brand new players - ones still creating their avatars - see that channel. I've wondered sometimes how many are turned off the game right at the outset by seeing a long all-out no-holds-barred flame-war going on in the public newcomers' channel.

I'm an adult, I don't need or want anyone telling me how many "naughty" words I can read or use. If you want to ignore someone you have the tools to do that, and if for some reason that's not enough I suppose you could also make a support case, though I'm not sure why anyone would feel that necessary over an issue like this.

Other games I have played that have auto-filtering usually include an option to allow me to disable filtering. Then if cussing and such bothers me, it is my choice whether I want to see it. Language standards change over time and they vary by culture and age group.

Temp banning should not be automated. And really there are worse things going on than a bit of swearing or risque word use.

Back