Suntanned, Golden...what a card

Chimp

Prowler
Nathan Chimp Second
Like a fool, I left my goldcard and reader on the desk while my kids used the PC.

After they gave it a healthy session under the 60 watt angle-poise they appear to have suffered a bit of a sunburn:

Surprisingly, they still work.

Anyone's GC or reader work in a more crippled state?

Anyone think I should contact MA for their help? (I do not want to wait as long as I did when my last reader died btw)

There is a reason I post this in general rather than humour; I am hoping to get some feedback on replacement times and whether or not MA void your login privilages should a GC die or go walkies.

I'm sure there are those out there who have had experience of GC issues like this could almost have been.

...oh, and it is an ideal photo-op for the most abused GC too ;P

Its all about the chip in it, aslong as thats ok it works.

My GC has a different look btw its Gold with a large safedoor on it :)

My GC has a different look btw its Gold with a large safedoor on it :)

Screenie :yay:

Let's add GC screenies to this too.

There are other styles out there. Mine has the scary woman on it...I'll post a different angle and edit this in the morning ;)

Two months back or so my goldcard generated error messages, almost daily. So I wrote support if they could send me a new one before this one breaks, but they wouldn't. They need the broken card back before they can send a new one, I guess it's a security issue. The downside is that there will be a delay when you cannot play.

I had one shipped while my card was still working, once it was received I needed to send them my ID, an image of the old card that included the number, and the number that was on the new card. They then made the change so my new card worked and my old one was disabled.

I would open a support case and inform them your card partially melted and you would like a replacement card. You are entitled to one replacement card and reader a year based on prior MA comments. MA recently posted that is only good if your card is damaged though, which yours appears to be.

I live in the US and was out of town when the card arrived, but it was about 2 weeks from the time they shipped it until the time I sent the support case to activate it. I am not sure how long it actually took to get here.

Bottom line was since my old card was functioning I had zero down time from PE.

Zar

Edit: Saw EyeContacts post

I asked for mine after VU 9 while mine was still working and they sent me a new card and did not require the old card. After the new one was received they only asked for an scanned image of my old card with the number on the back showing. Must depend on who you get to answer your support call?

i think ive had my gold card for about three years now theres no number left on the back as its so worn had coffee and tea poured on the reader and its still working :) still says www.project-entropia on the back though

Two months back or so my goldcard generated error messages, almost daily. So I wrote support if they could send me a new one before this one breaks, but they wouldn't. They need the broken card back before they can send a new one, I guess it's a security issue. The downside is that there will be a delay when you cannot play.

Did you try in a reader with new batteries? Error nessages usually appear because of the reader, not the card itself.

Edit:
You are entitled to one replacement card and reader a year based on prior MA comments. MA recently posted that is only good if your card is damaged though, which yours appears to be.

Are you sure about the one replacement card a year? I am sure Mindark has said in the past that you had one replacement reader a year, but no card. Of course they could have changed it to include the card as well.

Did you try in a reader with new batteries? Error nessages usually appear because of the reader, not the card itself.

They advised me to carefully clean the card and that helped :ahh:

@Johned, maybe it depends on who handles the case, policies changed, or maybe I didn't push them hard enough. The procedure you went thru seems like a good enough security measure but probably requires some more work.

They replaced mine too, both card and reader. I had the old one with daikibas and the one I got now has scary lady. :)

This is what the old one looks like (as you can see it was clearly broken as I kept getting this error message):

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

I was sent a new card and a new reader for no charge right after the last vu. I actually asked for a reader replacement (If I remember right) and got both the card and reader from them. My old card was one like chimps, my new one is gold with a safe door on it.

Zar

You are entitled to one replacement card and reader a year based on prior MA comments. MA recently posted that is only good if your card is damaged though, which yours appears to be.

Are you sure about the one replacement card a year? I am sure Mindark has said in the past that you had one replacement reader a year, but no card. Of course they could have changed it to include the card as well.

That rumor started in the beginning of this year with a reply Nicole (i think) got from support.

Then a lot of other participants inquired support about this, and last word on this subject from MA is:
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/mindark-news/63109-gold-cards-replacement-policy.html

With the support case that started this rumor, support intended to say you are entitled to 1 free replacement per year, but only if your card is damaged

But last word from MA is:
You are entitled to a free replacement per quarter if your card is damaged.

I think this statement shouldn't be viewed from the "rights" point of view but from the point of view that if you damage two GC's in the same quarter you must pay in order to get another one.

Last edited:
Did you try in a reader with new batteries? Error nessages usually appear because of the reader, not the card itself...

Slightly out of context here (I notice very few card piccies btw ;)), but my first card-reader died and a friend suggested I change the batteries.

I tried this and it died again within a week.

MA were helpful enough to send me a replacement, but it took nigh on 2 weeks to arrive.

For an investment of $25 for two pieces of penny technology, even allowing for postage costs, that is too long.

I reckon a GC should entitle you to next-day replacement...at least once.

As far as my (very sore) GC goes, I'm happy with it as long as it works.

...and the same goes for my reader.

And I'd still like some other piccies here ;)

They advised me to carefully clean the card and that helped :ahh:

Actually, when I replaced my ATM card at the bank the first thing they showed me was how to cleand the chip - because readers nowadays read from the chip instead of the magnetic strip. However they changed it anyway because it was clear that it was the strip making trouble (it was very badly scratched for some unknown reason).

How to clean it? Use a rubber/eraser on the chip - should work instantly.
[disclaimed]I will not held responsible for any damage to your gold card's chip and you will try this on your own risk fully aware that you might or might not actually accidently break it.[/disclaimer]

They replaced mine too, both card and reader. I had the old one with daikibas and the one I got now has scary lady. :)

This is what the old one looks like (as you can see it was clearly broken as I kept getting this error message):

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

dare i say it........

Ahhhhhh........... error 72 :)

Back