Sword or gun?

"Dutch"

Young
Society
Freelancer
I am new :) and I have a gun, but would it be so awful to use a sword? I know i would get hit more, but no ammo right? and I like swords, I think it would fit me better, any feed back on some pros and cons of the sword over a gun?

I use sword because I realy like it.
The big adventage of using a gun is the amount of choise in weapons. Also you have the adventage of putting amp's on your weapon.
But the sword are just fun :wtg::D and your swordskill are mutch more whort in Ped in you compare it whit rifle skills. Also you get more more hits form mods but more hits = more skill (skills = ped's).
One thing you realy need to considder is that sword hunting is realy a thing you need to do alone. Becaus it isn't fare becaus the one witch use rifles will hit more than you and this gives some trobble if you hunt in team.

But I whoud just use the weapon you like the most.;)

Either way if you are going to stay in Entropia and perhaps join a society with a minimum skill requirement you will be skilling with alot of weapons...

For me it was:
Opalo+Amp
TT Longblade(never short blades as they decay like crazy)
Then when I maxed the Opalo I switched to BLP weapons and got myself the Maddox 1 then 3 then 4
Then when I maxed the TT longblade I bought a Katsui Determinator and I am now trying to max it...

I could be alittle bit more thorough but I am very lazy today...

Alfred Bunting

I know there are past thread on this but i'll answer this one.

the pros to guns are they have a decay and they take ammo, higher power guns take more ammo per shot.
swords and other mellee weapons don't take ammo they just have decay.

while a gun will decay with every shot fired and use ammo not matter ifyou were even meaning to fire the gun the sword will usualy only decay when your actualy fighting a mob, it will decay when you miss but from experience it doesn't decay as much on a miss as on a hit.

now for starting out, opalo from the tt for your gun. with the amp limits now in effect only a101 amps will give the opalo any benefit... and i don't think its that great for how much they cost to repair. DO NOT purchase the jester1 d, its slightly weaker then the opalo and doesn't have the skilling bonus.

you have 2 choices at the start, the tt sword or purchase a 1x0 axe from auction or a player shop. the tt sword has a skilling bonus but is slow, the axe is a "standard weapon" this means to max it out you must read level 100 profession in swordsman hit and swordsman damage. thats a ways out there but the axe is an effective starter mellee weapon, I skilled about the same as the tt sword but the axe deals around the same damage as the tt sword, has a lower tt value so its cheaper to repair, its decay isn't as bad as the tt sword, and the axe is faster.

the power fist lasts a nice period of time and isn't very damageing but its fast, grab it as a finisher weapon.

as he said the dagger isn't very good it has a very short reach. standard starting mobs exos, snables, daikaba will run when they get low on hp usualy. when they start running you chance of missing with the dagger is stupidly dramaticly increased, if you set lock on and click to attack you will most likely just keep on chasein the mob and since the auto attack is stupid just as you hit max range it will make you attack and by the time the attack flys the mob is out of range again. if you want to practice dagger, train with swords and fists for awhile then get a Limited dagger and hunt mobs who whont run away.

as you skill up, you should look for an L weapon which you have reached atleast its minamum skill level requirement with to hunt with. the breer series is a good choice with pistols and rifles.

now with mellee weapons... ouch this is tuff since tehre is not a hole lot of mellee choices. the skill gaps are evry big between many of the L weapons and alot of them are very over priced. and dificult to get ahold of. youl have to use your gut on these.

I went with opalo, as an OJ (with a lot more attributes than new guys get now) the opalo allowed me to hunt and not die as often because mobs were damaged before they got to my weak little orange body to do me damage. Melee weapons they start damaging you at around the same time you start damaging them...and a lot of them win. :laugh: .

If you have 100 health and a mob has the same it's preferable for it to have lost a lot of that before going toe to toe with it even in low level armour, not to mention decay on armour and FAPs if you are sweating to pay for that.

Nothing to stop you using both ...tagging with rifle and finishing with melee.

t

Well this is how I roll....

I have my opolo and 1k ammo and I have a sword.
Since I am tryign to gain skill, I will sweat a mob until I can't sweat it no more, or it attacks me, I hit it with the sword until i kill it or it runs away. If it runs I pull out the gun and only have to shoot it once or twice before it dies. I am actually comin gout pretty good on sweat, loot and have lots more time out there killing instead of shooting all my ammo and having to run back and get more.

Just the way I do it ;)

Hi,

as mentioned there's a lot of threads about this. Regardless I'd like to give an additional answer:

Chose as you like, but keep in mind:

After some long time of blade skilling you'll be around 4 - 5K Long Blade Skill. You'll stay in this region very long, because skill gain then slows down to the speed of a snail encased in concrete. When reached this there's not much weapons left you can use, simply because there are not much: RepEdge Battle Axe 2x0.

That's it. There's not much more. You could use a katana of the Katsuichi series, but your skill would be by far too low making your wallet bleed with every swing. You could use Nano Katana (L) that would be fine, but it's very rarely crafted, and if, very expensively traded. There are some other (L) blades that you could use, but these are rare, too, insanely slow and expensive, too. So you'll stick to the Axe 2x0 for a long time.

I have 4.2K in LB, makes a Hit Ability of 2.4 for the 2x0. According to the weapon compare tool this gives me an average Dam/sec. of 10.712, with an average Dam/PEC of 2.375. Not this much, right?

So I started skilling laser pistol - wouldn't hurt and would help to improve my laser rifle skills that I need anyway: It's not the best of ideas rushing into middle of some Atrax Guardians, swinging your axe and yelling loudly ... You might want to persuade a single one of them, from safe range, to come to you for a friendly whacking! This is why you need a long range rifle.

Anyway, I skilled laser pistol: Very fast I got up to 1.5K of Handgun skill, using a maxed Korss H380 with a103 Amp now. When I checked my numbers I was shocked:
This beauty gives me an average Dam/sec. of 18.216 with an average Dam/PEC of 2.907! This corresponds to the in fight feeling, this cheap widely available pistol simply has ways more punch.

I should mention that I tried a (maxed) Loughlin Cutter Three (L) that should be better then my Axes, from the numbers. Feeling was horrible: rather fast I switched back to axes when my HP bar went down - might it be some crafter has manipulated PEWiki entries to enhance sales? I'm not sure. Wanted to try Embra Laser Sword (L), too, but after more then a year I never got my hands on one of it ...

Conclusion:
A low skilled Laser pistoleer freshman with meager 1.5K HG easily outperforms an well trained veteran Blader! Even using ultra cheep Breer P3a (L) with a102 Amp the Dam/sec. is slightly and the economy ways better.

So choosing the Way of the Blade will provide much fun, and will give you a lot of HP. But be prepared to spoil a lot of time and money! On the other hand, choosing Pistol will enable you to very fast hunt the bigger ones :(

Have fun!

PS: One more strange thing:
MA, in it's infinite wisdom, has decided that you'd get ways more Agility standing still shooting at something then when hopping around it, swinging heavy tools dripping in sweat ...

PPS: Did I mention that this all major stinks?

Conclusion:
A low skilled Laser pistoleer freshman with meager 1.5K HG easily outperforms an well trained veteran Blader! Even using ultra cheep Breer P3a (L) with a102 Amp the Dam/sec. is slightly and the economy ways better.

I know you understand this and pointed out the fact that there is a gap in the mele weapons, but I think a bit better way to sum it up would be, if you use a weapon that suits your skills (a maxed limited weapon with 10/10 in most cases) you will get better results. In other words, that you have seen firsthand the difference between limited and unlimited weapons, and likely now have some insight as to why the Korss 400 is such a popular weapon.

Just as a side note, you are not considered a "well trained veteran" of anything unless your HA is at the very least, 7.0 with that weapon. This seems to be the point where you start gaining efficiency that is comparable to limited weapons. This gives you a choice, you can use a weapon that you don't bleed peds with, and stay with mobs that suit that weapon to give you the best economy, or you can use big weapons to take down bigger mobs as long as you can afford to feed said weapon because it will likely cost you much more than the mob pays on average to take it down.

Last edited:
I think we need a VU update for the melee proffesion. It is realy needed to close the gap between tt-sword - axe 2xà - Katsuichi series

Based on my own experience, I would say concentrate on ranged weapon but use an axe for the kill. The TT sword is slowwwww.
I love my Katsuichi but the decay is outrageous.
The ranged weapon will seem like its more costly until you skill up in it, but then it will pay off. A maxed Opalo is a pretty good weapon.

Last edited:
Hi,

Just as a side note, you are not considered a "well trained veteran" of anything unless your HA is at the very least, 7.0 with that weapon. [...]

Well, you see my join date in this forum? I've joined PE (as it was called these days) about 6 months before. I see that I'm rather slow, and I know that I did take a longer timeout, but from summer of 05 until now I reached my 4.2K LB. Maybe a very determined and rather well-walleted newbie might do this in under 12 months without chipping up, but I doubt.

I'm here for quite some time, I don't start to cry even when an atrax old alpha enters scene, I get my sword and kill it. So I guess "well trained veteran" might suit.

I know that I'm far from Uberness, and I know that I have no chance to ever reach - at least not without doing things I'm not ready to do.

But there's a life below Uberness - and you'll find lots of "well trained veteran" players there ... I know some of them, and I'm very sure they are deserving this title, even if they don't have HA 7.0 on an unlimited weapon.
Using 7.0 as a measure would make some many here look like newbies ;-)

Have fun!

Conclusion:

So choosing the Way of the Blade will provide much fun, and will give you a lot of HP. But be prepared to spoil a lot of time and money! On the other hand, choosing Pistol will enable you to very fast hunt the bigger ones :(

Have fun!

PS: One more strange thing:
MA, in it's infinite wisdom, has decided that you'd get ways more Agility standing still shooting at something then when hopping around it, swinging heavy tools dripping in sweat ...

Sorry to say this, but since you skill faster and cheaper using HGs, you will unlock Serendipity and Coolness faster. Therefore will have better defense prof. as well as more health then the melee users in the long run. In fact the only skill that gives health that you gain by using swords, and not ranged weapons, is Melee itself, which grows at about half the rate of HG skill if using comparable weapons. So even though it gives twice as many HPs per point, your actual health does not go up faster even initially. Evader and Paramedic do go up faster since you get hit more, but you also pay more armor/FAP decay for this. :(

PPS: Did I mention that this all major stinks?

OK, you all confuse the noob so bad :)

But let me guess from what i read. Gun is better then sword, sword if you want to, but gun is better. right?

And someone gave me a gun, it is that Jester1 D everyone says sucks, should i sell and get something else?

But let me guess from what i read. Gun is better then sword, sword if you want to, but gun is better. right?

And someone gave me a gun, it is that Jester1 D everyone says sucks, should i sell and get something else?

I think you get the picture--life is kinda hard for melee users right now. And yes, sell the jester at the tt and get an opalo--until you do you will waste ped on every kill. Then save towards an a101 amp to put on it to further increase your efficiency.

Hi,
I'm here for quite some time, I don't start to cry even when an atrax old alpha enters scene, I get my sword and kill it. So I guess "well trained veteran" might suit.

I understand what you're saying, and did not mean any offense.. I see that you are applying the term to mid-level hunters, while I associate those words with ubers. I can say that there is at least one person on this forum who went from 900 to 3500 in HG with a month of skilling (natural, no chips, and big expensive guns). I personally progressed around 1000 points in rifle in 2-3 weeks (natural, no chips, small eco guns). Some serious grinding, and I know it just gets more difficult.. with the difficulty being compounded by not having good and economical weapons to suit your skill level.

For a noob the Jester sucks AND blows, because it is not SIB (skill increase bonus) weapon. If you don't know what SIB is, you should bone up on it, because it will influence your every weapon choice for quite a while.
I have skilled to a SIB rifle with 60 dmg that I am 8.5/10 on, but if I were to switch to a non-SIB I am less than half of that.
Like the lady says, get an Opalo, then the 101 amp later, they are hard to beat for a cheap shooter. I still have mine.

Like the lady says, get an Opalo, then the 101 amp later, they are hard to beat for a cheap shooter. I still have mine.
Me too. Although when a (little) mob gets within range I switch to the P2+A101 - quicker firing and more damage/pec.

Keep the shop stocked up Photon - I'll be back for a few more when I've killed the ones I bought last week ;)

Ude the gun man! if you can buy some starting BLP rifle like Isis or Geotrek :) :sniper:

Personnaly my first weapon was a "powerfist" lol...bought it for cheap at the auctions and then repaired it from time to time...And i had a lot of fun boxing combibos ;)

Until one day where an old guildmate (guildless now) told me "powerfists sucks", get back to the opalo and handgun...

So i bought an opalo and a handgun, but kept powerfist anyway for the "fun boxing part"

And then, i read alice guide and saw that it was more interesting to skill in longblade than in powerfist...

So i sold my powerfist...still keep a skill of 540 in fist...souvenir...bought a TT two handed sword, and all i know is that it's money consuming...but of course it does more damage than my opalo. (at least...i hope it does ! but it seems so...)

So now i pull with opalo, and then at melee i switch to the sword or continue with the opalo until the mob is nearly dead where i switch to the handgun...

Back