Take care of your privacy

Status
His post was "Since you didn't provide your Mensa credentials to help prove your point to the nay-sayers, I took the liberty to do you the favor and ask some of my good friends with deep establishment at Mensa, to verify your credentials. Based on your gender, location and age, it'll be pretty quick to verify. I will get back with the result soon. You're welcome!"

When he said "I will get back" (not "I will get back to you" which would mean, as you suggested, that he will sent them to men, not make them public) I can only assume that he would get back in the very same place where he made the statement, which is the forum post. Now what can "results" meaning in his saying "will get back with the result" other than personal information? So, yes, I think that's exactly what he said - that he will use some favors to find out some personal information he shouldn't have access to without my consent and that he will get back with said information and make it public. I think that's the only logical way to interpret this.

And no, he didn't said he will use his moderating tools, neither I said he did, but I just said that the fact that he might have access to them worries me (I am not event sure if they are available only to admins or to moderators too) since, for example, the email address includes my family name, which would make his "check" much easier. Also, talking about drama, please note that I only started this thread after he posted in that defunct thread (which had no posts and was even locked since March, so that's one place where he actually used his moderator powers).

As said, I can't know what his intentions are, but the simple fact that he clearly stated that he will
use some favors to find out some personal information he shouldn't have access to without my consent and that he will get back with said information and make it public worries me deeply. Is no secret that some people around here have some pretty strong feelings against me and I wouldn't feel comfortable at all if they will be given the info to track me down in real life.

Done.. I'm just done..

When are you leaving again?

privacy is an important issue!!! :wise:

:boxer:

privacy is an important issue!!! :wise:

:boxer:

Not when you post your first name, country, region, age, birthdate, pictures and other personal details on several websites for everyone to see. And even when your Blog is down/deleted, the info can still be found in the cache engines on the net. :deal:

In this case, the horse has left the barn, jumped the fence and is running wildly down the road.

P.S., Thank you for the Neg Rep DOA.. May I have another?

Last edited:
This thread is brought to you by a person who, only a few weeks ago, posted somebody in the games real life name and personal information.

That is all

Removed; I said all I had to said before; anything else would just create more drama.

Last edited:
Is it a moderators job to lure a former player out to posting again on a 4 month old thread?

Even when it's supposed to be sick humor? And is sick humor a moderators role?

questions questions. It's easy to pick on the obsessive 16 year old, but are we looking through objective glasses here?

Reactions: DoA
Why do I have this feeling that you are just trying very hard to build up your EU persona? This has happened in the past, and the result was bad. Very bad. Scammy bad I would say.

With every new thread or post of yours I get the same shitty feeling reinforced. They are just full of gratuitous drama and self entitled bs as if you were the chosen one or something.

Just leaving this warning here, let's hope I don't have to quote myself in a few months.

Could be just me tho, I'm not in mensa so I'm a retard.

Heh.

Just got neg repped by DoA for the post above. Truth hurts right?

I don't believe a single word you say, your trust building campaign is a disaster waiting to happen. I just hope nobody is stupid enough to fall for it.

I have quoted myself because :popcorn:

EDIT: Fuck it, welcome to my ignore list. You are the only one there.

I'm not going to link it, I'm sure others remember it also.

Is it a moderators job to lure a former player out to posting again on a 4 month old thread?

Even when it's supposed to be sick humor? And is sick humor a moderators role?

questions questions. It's easy to pick on the obsessive 16 year old, but are we looking through objective glasses here?

Maybe they needed to reach their monthly quota on new threads and posts here on PCF and thought what better way then to get the drama rolling again :eyecrazy:

This thread proves one more time that "haters gonna hate" and that most people can't stick with the subject but always feel the urge to fall back to ad hominem attacks (and that thing happens each and every time - lol). The thread was not about me and about how much some (most) of you hate and dislike me me (something that we all know, I have no problem with and I couldn't care about less), but about taking care of your privacy.

Now if there will be any real moderation happening on the forum, probably 80% of the posts (including some of my own, where I answered your attacks) should be deleted for being off-topic and/or representing personal attacks, but I honestly doubt this will happen - things seem to be really lenient around here lately.

Fun fact is that I was actually kinda out of here (taking a long, maybe even permanent break from the game) and I was only messing around trying to sell my apartments, but since it seems that this (me quitting) will please a lot of my haters, guess that I should better think about reconsidering it. ;)

Last edited:
please do! I thought we were finally rid of DoA as per a thread on ark forums. guess not

It was the moderator.. hé could have refrained from posting..

This thread proves one more time that "haters gonna hate" and that most people can't stick with the subject but always feel the urge to fall back to ad hominem attacks

No, this thread proves that you misunderstood a joke and when you were alerted to this fact, you belligerently carried on anyway.

Just remember that everything on the internet is permanent, and when you come to look back on this when you've grown up you'll be pretty embarrassed by it.

The fact that you say you couldn't care less about anyone's opinions (of you) here, really begs the question why you persistently write paragraph after paragraph of banal, pseudo-intellectual rubbish.

This thread, contrary to what you say, is about you and only you - attention seeking and being fairly successful at it.

I think you need to find some friends IRL.

Since you didn't provide your Mensa credentials to help prove your point to the nay-sayers, I took the liberty to do you the favor and ask some of my good friends with deep establishment at Mensa, to verify your credentials. Based on your gender, location and age, it'll be pretty quick to verify. I will get back with the result soon. You're welcome!
From this post we can make only one conclusion - nothing besides the end result (if you are actually on that list or not) will be made public.
You can ofc interpret it also as a threat to launch a few cruise missiles but one has to go into some very complex intellectual acrobatics to achieve that. So, I would better put all those aside for now.

What really interests me in this case is simple facts. Is it possible to obtain an answer based exclusively on your country, town, first name and age? These are the bits that by your own admission you already have made public:
I was always quite open about my RL information (as in name / age / gender / location [down to City level] ... however, I was always careful to not post any directly identifiable information (as in I only used my first name, not the full name ...

As Trifle said, another member of the club couldn't possibly help e-lite in his efforts:
If you are truly in Mensa they have a rule that members shall not to pass through information of any members or other stuff that should stay in Mensa. I wouldn't be worried

But there's also a possibility that people e-lite knows are not ordinary members but rather system administrators like he is himself in real life, with special privileges and a direct access to the database. If so, the info you have provided is enough to verify your claims. If e-lite doesn't have any friends who can access the inside info, I can't really see how he could be so confident he can find out the answer in the 1st place.

I suppose pretty soon we will hear more from e-lite himself, but so far I think the most likely scenario is the one pointed out above. Which would mean e-lite didn't share any info to the 3rd parties he shouldn't have shared (your e-mail address). The unethical party then would be the Mensa sysadmin. It seems to me he or she definitely has to violate a few privacy rules should s/he actually answer e-lite's query.

Well, let's hope we'll know more soon. Don't be so quick to judge. Remember, devil's always in the details! ;)

Just remember that everything on the internet is permanent
Tell that to all of the forums about Entropia that have disappeared over the years... EP, ER, etc.

No, this thread proves that you misunderstood a joke and when you were alerted to this fact, you belligerently carried on anyway.

I still do not believe this was a joke (although I sure hope you are right), especially since, before making said "joke", that person tried to force my hand to reveal said information to him in private messages.

Even if it was a joke (which as I said, I still don't believe), I still don't get it and I can't understand why a moderator should make such jokes in the first place and, especially, in a thread that was dead and closed since four months ago.

And, generally, talking about jokes, there are two cases when you make them:
- when you make jokes WITH someone (as in joking with a friend which you know will get and appreciate the joke), when is totally acceptable
- when you make jokes AT someone, which is rude and totally unexpected from someone in an official position, which used is administrative tools (posting in a locked thread) to make said joke

But (and I repeat that for the third time), I don't think that was a joke in the first place.

But there's also a possibility that people e-lite knows are not ordinary members but rather system administrators like he is himself in real life, with special privileges and a direct access to the database. If so, the info you have provided is enough to verify your claims. If e-lite doesn't have any friends who can access the inside info, I can't really see how he could be so confident he can find out the answer in the 1st place.

I suppose pretty soon we will hear more from e-lite himself, but so far I think the most likely scenario is the one pointed out above. Which would mean e-lite didn't share any info to the 3rd parties he shouldn't have shared (your e-mail address). The unethical party then would be the Mensa sysadmin. It seems to me he or she definitely has to violate a few privacy rules should s/he actually answer e-lite's query.

Well, let's hope we'll know more soon. Don't be so quick to judge. Remember, devil's always in the details! ;)

The quote he used himself "friends with deep establishment at Mensa" suggests that we clearly talk about people with special privileges. Now going on the ethical and unethical realm, I think that not only the sysadmin (or whatever) violating the privacy rules is doing something unethical, but also the person asking them to do it in the first place. Also, I don't know how much respect they have for the privacy on my data that they have direct access in the first place (like e-mail address of password here on the forum), once they openly admit they would ask other people to break the privacy of the data they have access to.

Now is not really about judging, but about being worried; as said in my original post I publicly revealed a fair share of information about me (since I think is fair to let people put a name and a face to the avatars they interact with), but I was always careful to reveal only so much (and sometime slightly alter certain info) that someone who would try to track me down in real life to not be able to do so.

Now, however, benefiting from a potential security breach (from the previously mentioned "friends with deep establishment at Mensa") e-lite may obtain the missing info (like my last name or my real e-mail address) which would subsequently allow him to find my RL blogs, social media accounts and eventually things like phone number, home address and alike. Sure, there's a long way, but a possible one.

Now, again, he may keep said info for himself, but he may also publicly share them, either to the general public here on forum (which would be a direct violation of forum rules, so unlikely) or with a restricted group of friends (which is much more likely). At this point is all suppositions, but, once again, we talk about possible things.

Now there's not much I can change about my personal situation... I already made the mistake to reveal more info than I should had, though creating the possibility that, through some unethical exchange of information between sysadmin friends, someone to can get access to all my personal information. Guess all I can do now is to hope that either e-lite's friend would deny his request or he will have the decency to keep the information he will get for himself.

But what I can do (and what I did aimed to do with this thread) was to warn other people about the danger of posting too many personal information online - one second you think you are safe and the next second someone else may end up virtually knocking on your door. Of course, that's a huge exaggeration and I may act a bit paranoid, I admit that, but the "lesson" remains - unless really mandatory, better avoid revealing too much information about the real you (excluding, of course, the case where you don't mind allowing people to make the connection between your real life and Internet personas).

Finally, it remains the question... WHY... why this curiosity and why now, four months after the last post in that thread was made and the thread itself was closed?

Last edited:
... the "lesson" remains - unless really mandatory, better avoid revealing too much information about the real you (excluding, of course, the case where you don't mind to allow people to make the connection between your real life and Internet personas).
Regardless of the issue at hand, this is a fair warning indeed.

Finally, it remains the question... WHY... why this curiosity and why now, four months after the last post in that thread was made and the thread itself was closed?
Curiosity is a deeply human trait. Curiosity and boredom, those two can go a long way with ppl who have access to vast amounts of information. Information is power nowadays, and power corrupts...

Welcome to the 21st century. :yup:

Reactions: DoA
DoA

Yes, everyone should be cautious what private information they post online & everything posted online is forever.
A moderator should be moderating, not getting personal.
But sweetie you are making a mountain out of a mole hill, I understand that you have hurt feelings, but there are times it is best to let things go...
I have read quite a few of your postings, I only responded to this one in the hopes that I can help you.
I have been where you are, taking things too seriously, when they were meant as humor. (It certainly made me feel foolish) That said, how you feel is up to you.
A large amount of the postings here are ALL humor, people are just having fun, but when you overreact you become a target & you Will get picked on. (a lot like school, isn't it?)
Be of good humor & take things in stride. If you react less, it won't be as much fun for them.
This forum is mostly about playing EU. When you get dramatic in your postings here, do so at your own peril.
Join in the fun, be silly, have a blast posting. But please stop taking everything so seriously.:wise::girl::smoke:

Yes, everyone should be cautious what private information they post online & everything posted online is forever.
A moderator should be moderating, not getting personal.
But sweetie you are making a mountain out of a mole hill, I understand that you have hurt feelings, but there are times it is best to let things go...
I have read quite a few of your postings, I only responded to this one in the hopes that I can help you.
I have been where you are, taking things too seriously, when they were meant as humor. (It certainly made me feel foolish) That said, how you feel is up to you.
A large amount of the postings here are ALL humor, people are just having fun, but when you overreact you become a target & you Will get picked on. (a lot like school, isn't it?)
Be of good humor & take things in stride. If you react less, it won't be as much fun for them.
This forum is mostly about playing EU. When you get dramatic in your postings here, do so at your own peril.
Join in the fun, be silly, have a blast posting. But please stop taking everything so seriously.:wise::girl::smoke:

If i may add to your reply... A creepy chosen avatar once said... why so serious?

Regardless of the issue at hand, this is a fair warning indeed.

People who are wrong usually still think they are right by editing out anything which doen't suit them.
People who are usually right try to acknowledge where they are wrong and prevent it from happening again.

This thread is about where DoA has decided something has been a mistake - within the context of someone else actively doing/trying to do various wrong things. Seems like the case should be pretty clear here really...
...and my respect to Fifth for getting involved again quickly.

edit: ...but as lady has said a bit above this... generally try and let more stuff go, although individual decisions should be made of course, I accept that.

I haven't been following the forums very avidly lately, so apologies if I don't have the whole context, but from the little info I can gather on this thread this discussion seems to be between a person who cares too much about what others think (don't take it as an insult, I actually used to be like that, myself, in the past, but eventually just said "fuck it") and a lot of people who forgot what it was like to be young and do things they'd would later come to regret (and honestly, any person who doesn't have a single thing they regretted doing as their younger selves, must be either still extremely immature, incredibly delusional or Kanye West).

How about we all just chill and bond in commiseration over things we can all agree that suck, like terrorists, taxes, or Justin Bieber? :cool:

Status
Back