The benefits of PVP

GeorgeSkywalker

Mutated
Society
Freelancer
George Ace Skywalker
Are there any? PVP is often seen very negatively in EU yet every planet has it.

It is often an emotional topic. For sure it's not fun to have your loot taken away from you...

Some of you may be thinking I'm probably the last person who should be writing this but don't be fooled I'm actually a very ferocious pirate! even pirates run in terror at the sight of me :eyecrazy:

Anyway back to topic at hand. Benefits. Hmm this is what I came up with so far:

• Mobs can get boring because of their predictability. With PVP your oppononet is another player who can be very unpredictable. The more predictable your opponent is the easier he is to kill.
  • The excitement and thrills. I'm not a PVP person but I do recognise it can be fun and exciting. Because the opponent(s) in PVP are intelligent and unpredictable it can get really exciting. Exciting as in heart pounding, rivers of sweat flowing etc etc So the ring can be an intresting change from normal mob hunting.
  • Some intresting PVP events in the past e.g. the one which Skam won, Last person standing type of event. Was in Zychion.
    https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?132773-Battle-Royale-....-In-Entropia.
    https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?152301-Battle-Royale
  • Good form of income for pirate albeit at expense of another player. This is the main reason I think most people become pirates for the money. It also seems to be the main reason why PVP is hated.
  • Pirate taunting/teasing. I just love to tease pirates to kill me for example in space. I carry no loot so it's no loss to me but funny to see the greed of some pirates

Note there is a distinction between lootable pvp and non lootable pvp. Non lootable seems to be acceptable by most people. It's lootable pvp that causes the contention. The stakes are higher in lootable pvp but simple solution is to not carry loot.

Last edited:
Miner´s point of view:
- its fun escaping before ppl who invested huge amount of peds into guns/armors. All you need is just experience and ability to stay calm in complicated situations
- its thrill driliing out claim worth few hundres peds you can lost in couple of seconds
- its great to have real markup
- and its really interesting to have mixed feelings after hof (considering threats instead of being happy :D)

PvP in this game is broken ..

people with low graphic settings in PvP4 stand no chance.

And what fun is it to jump around your target to avoid being shot? None. Not to mention that people with imp/mod faps mostly dominate PvP.

While we could get ammo from MA that does damage overtime/reduces healing by 20/30/50%/slows down the target/reduces armour, we get jumping pipsqueaks (tiny avatars thanks to sculpting).

PvP in this game is broken ..

Pke's in pvp4 would agree with that but for completely different reasons

people with low graphic settings in PvP4 stand no chance.

Pk'er's reduce their settinsg to lowest possible to improve performance. Low setting actually gives an advantage in performance.

And what fun is it to jump around your target to avoid being shot? None. Not to mention that people with imp/mod faps mostly dominate PvP.

With the advent of tiering this is no longer the case. Often you'll hear the old PK'ers mention it's unbalanced any player even with low skills can get a highly tiered up weapon. The equipment of old not necessarily that useful now.

While we could get ammo from MA that does damage overtime/reduces healing by 20/30/50%/slows down the target/reduces armour, we get jumping pipsqueaks (tiny avatars thanks to sculpting).

:D

PvP used to be a battle, now its pretty much 1st to hit wins, its a joke basically.

There is a huge difference between lootable pvp on calypso or lootable pvp in space in terms of acceptance. Lootable pvp in space is forced on us (can't go around lootable space), while pvp4 is a choice.

a2b.jpg

the first circle is lootable pvp on calypso: you can choose route 1 or route 2 to get from a to b
the second circle is lootable pvp in space: you can choose route 1, through lootable space, no hopping in or out.

Benefits of lootable pvp on calypso:

the red area seems to have nice resources for miners
the red area has mobs that aren't anywhere else for hunters
there's excitement involved with mining/hunting in lootable pvp.. you could get shot and loose your ore. jump in, jump out etc.

Benefits of lootable pvp in space:

nibs can feel important in a quad and with the ever lowering prices, ultranibs now have a chance to feel important too
good for markup of valuable resources from other planets (smuggling)

Last edited:
Fort event can be pretty much sure profit if your on the winning team and still very little loss for the loosing

I've had over all profit in pvp4

But for over all I love it for the challenge, the things you can do with an lr53 t4-6 (easily obtained) if your good enough are almost endless.

The thrill of fighting someone wearing Hermes/infil and 3E naked and winning is awesome!

The problem here is that the majority of the community lacks vision, ambition and motivation. They are so caught up in the heat of it all that they fail to see an abundance of opportunities that arise with new problems. I mean it just cant be that all them are "stupid", so it must be that they are just too caught up in it all to see the tree for the wood (or however that goes). instead they see a problem, defences go up and they wait for MA to spoon feed them, cause frankly to me it seems thats exactly the problem here. If i were the good guys i could think up several ways to actually make money out of "the problem". And if not peds then even more idea on how to avoid pirates in space. But my role here is NOT to be a businessman.

And yes you are right.....i do what i do in part because i have never really done any other profession in EU, so all i know is what i am comfortable with...and thats PK/ Pirating, whether im good or not thats what i do. And YES, a BIG draw for me is the fact as you said that my mob of choice have the ability to SUPPOSEDLY problem solve. They have the ability to outsmart me, a 3d space to use to trick me, to ambush me, hell to swear and get little hissy fits...I mean what other mob in EU doe s that ....none ^^

So yea i like that my mob FORCES me to think out of the box, to re-invent strategies, to study its behavior, to identify pattens and when and where to strike. Yes pirating is profitable.....but defo not the way most of these kids do it....they seem to confuse pirating and pk as being one and the same profession ^^ There is a difference boys and girls and yes its what i do, because i embraced the problem and made it work for me....Most of the whinners are too lazy to figure things out for themselves....simple as

As for some of the comments here that fights used to last, that tiers ruined it....well space in not land based but there aint no tiered weaps up there and fight do last......yes the style is different but they aint gonna remove tiers so get used to it. I do respect the old schoolers views, but this is the EU i stepped into and this is it now.....and the rest of you whinners get those bloody spoons out your mouths, step out of your holly bubbles, high horses or whatever and see it for what it is...a opportunity especially in space.

The problem here is that the majority of the community lacks vision, ambition and motivation. They are so caught up in the heat of it all that they fail to see an abundance of opportunities that arise with new problems. I mean it just cant be that all them are "stupid", so it must be that they are just too caught up in it all to see the tree for the wood (or however that goes). instead they see a problem, defences go up and they wait for MA to spoon feed them, cause frankly to me it seems thats exactly the problem here. If i were the good guys i could think up several ways to actually make money out of "the problem". And if not peds then even more idea on how to avoid pirates in space. But my role here is NOT to be a businessman.

And yes you are right.....i do what i do in part because i have never really done any other profession in EU, so all i know is what i am comfortable with...and thats PK/ Pirating, whether im good or not thats what i do. And YES, a BIG draw for me is the fact as you said that my mob of choice have the ability to SUPPOSEDLY problem solve. They have the ability to outsmart me, a 3d space to use to trick me, to ambush me, hell to swear and get little hissy fits...I mean what other mob in EU doe s that ....none ^^

So yea i like that my mob FORCES me to think out of the box, to re-invent strategies, to study its behavior, to identify pattens and when and where to strike. Yes pirating is profitable.....but defo not the way most of these kids do it....they seem to confuse pirating and pk as being one and the same profession ^^ There is a difference boys and girls and yes its what i do, because i embraced the problem and made it work for me....Most of the whinners are too lazy to figure things out for themselves....simple as

As for some of the comments here that fights used to last, that tiers ruined it....well space in not land based but there aint no tiered weaps up there and fight do last......yes the style is different but they aint gonna remove tiers so get used to it. I do respect the old schoolers views, but this is the EU i stepped into and this is it now.....and the rest of you whinners get those bloody spoons out your mouths, step out of your holly bubbles, high horses or whatever and see it for what it is...a opportunity especially in space.

Is there a possibility that you could post one, just one thread where you didn't have to insult other players? I was starting to read this and thought, hey a constructive post!, in line with the op's request to name some benefits of pvp, but then you ruin it again in your last paragraph calling everyone who doesn't agree with you a whiner with bloody spoons and holly bubbles.

Last edited:
Is there a possibility that you could post one, just one thread where you didn't have to insult other players? I was starting to read this and thought, hey a constructive post!, in line with the op's request to name some benefits of pvp, but then you ruin it again in the end calling everyone who doesn't agree with you a whiner with bloody spoons and holly bubbles.

Once you step off your little perch, might i suggest you open your eyes and take a look. I have constructive posts all over this forum...And i talk to you like i do because like certain people you are unresponsive and generally incapable of sensibility on topics for which you have a dislike, much the same way as your tollerance for those you have made you mind up about.....keep swimming....i am done with you....:smoke:

Once you step off your little perch, might i suggest you open your eyes and take a look. I have constructive posts all over this forum...And i talk to you like i do because like certain people you are unresponsive and generally incapable of sensibility on topics for which you have a dislike, much the same way as your tollerance for those you have made you mind up about.....keep swimming....i am done with you....:smoke:

I will +rep you on that other thread you made "Space masters challenge", that was generally a nice idea and it didn't contain any negativity.

Low setting actually gives an advantage in performance.

A problem with low settings is that apparently MA has tied viewing distance to "item quality". If you use item quality safe mode or low, you won't see people untill they are inside hitting distance. Also in space viewing distanec is tied to item quality.

The explicit viewing distance setting is for things like mountains and hills, it doesn't work for things like buildings and avatars.

A problem with low settings is that apparently MA has tied viewing distance to "item quality". If you use item quality safe mode or low, you won't see people untill they are inside hitting distance. Also in space viewing distanec is tied to item quality.

The explicit viewing distance setting is for things like mountains and hills, it doesn't work for things like buildings and avatars.

Avatar appearance is tied to avatar quality. A workaround is to choose safe mode, high avatar very high distance view. Probs solved

I will +rep you on that other thread you made "Space masters challenge", that was generally a nice idea and it didn't contain any negativity.

You can keep the rep...I do generally intend for my slanting to be laced with progressive undertones, but i sometimes forget not everyone gets it....not recognizing that was a flaw on my part...ill try to change my tone slightly...i am still a villain and must keep up appearances after all :)

Back on topic

Avatar appearance is tied to avatar quality. A workaround is to choose safe mode, high avatar very high distance view. Probs solved

Yes this is what i used to do on what was back then a very laggy machine to boot and im sure other do this well. But then my fraps recording at the same time was not a good idea in combat lol

couldnt have said it better myself :)

You might wish to rethink the society you are in then. :laugh:

PvP used to be a battle, now its pretty much 1st to hit wins, its a joke basically.

Remember that whilst big dmg guns have become more accessible, so has big protection armor. We can tier our guns, yes, but we can also tier our armor and faps. So while out ability to inflict damage is rising, so is our ability to resist it.

PVP has been enhanced by enhancers and (L) armor/guns/faps. In until 2007/8 pvp was for the elite who could afford ml35s and eon/shadow. The rise of (L) gear and tiering has opened the profession up to more players than ever, and that can only be a good thing. We are seeing the rise of the Entropian PVP middle-class.

There allways was one role in the world. The real winner of war that side who selling guns, not that , who shooting with them.

so if you buy a uber gun and your shot costs 5 ped, so you should hit it by 1 hit :) but it will be no proffit for you because you will get 2 -5 ped for toxic

The benefits of PvP?

....people kill each other and MA dont have to pay Loot for it..
....people have to buy ammo for it and also have decay on guns and armor etc....
....Ma benefits from PvP...

...works for both..lootable and not lootable zones...lootables are only here to atracct people to try to find a unlucky pilot,miner etc...

just fix the auto aim and make it manual again and it will be much more exciting!

Add vechicles and then u will get total nonsense...
I can say few things why vechicles should be disabled on lootable pvp zone in calypso or roktropia and i can not tell any reasion why they should stay... 1. Noone fighting with vechicle - useless for that. 2. MA told that useing ANY vechicle like a shield is against EULA, but still everyone use that. 3. Useing vechicle like a box to send loot to storage is unfair. 4. Useing vechicle to take mobs out of lootable pvp zone to avoid risk being looted is unfair.

I agree, it is a good thing that there is PvP around Calypso, but it is even better that it is in limited areas (and should remain so): it means that people have to willingly take the risk of being attacked.

The argument "I like pvp because I feel it's more fun hunting intelligent mobs than hunting computer AI" sort of describes what kind of person you are. Think of the implication if the pvp is consensual (like a fighting ring), or if it's forced on one of the parties (for instance space).

Also the difference in consequences when someone is killed: Being looted is just one side of it, and the part you can mainly influence yourself. The other side of it is the energy (/time etc) the killed person has to spend to be back in same position as when he was killed. In space, consider the case someone is flying someone else, and one of you don't revive on same location because you aren't listed on same mothership. Also, that if you were killed a bit out but you revived at calypso space station, you're likely to be in a worse position as you were when you got killed (you were killed in a low-pirate-density area but revived in a high-pirate-density area).

Back