The efficiency of scopes/lasers - Statistics/Discussion

That's very interesting. I could swear that the last sentence wasn't there last time I checked it, I've always been wondering if the Hit Ability was indeed affected by the enemy though. Thanks for that post, + Rep.

I really do think that the other comment Marco stated during some Q & A holds very true (although may change as you progress). Paraphrased but something to the effect of, 'Anyone can do well. You just need to find the right combination of weapon and mob.'

[Lots of completely untested opinions]

The sentence on the HA thing has been there for a while. Interesting points made about PvP, but from mob to mob I've never noticed much difference - if anything I'd say I get a higher hit % against big HP mobs (and not just because of tag/finishing issues).

Marco made a comment once that was something along the lines of "HA=10 simply means you are using the weapon to its maximum capability". Which doesn't necessarily mean HA=10 for Player A1 with weapon A2 against Mob A3 is the same as for Player B1 with weapon B2 against Mob B3. Seeing as the effect of skills is clear on HA it would seem odd if skills also affect hit % in some other way (e.g. MkII hit % is better than MkV if your skill level is more suited to MkII - if that's the case it would seem to me that HA value is very misleading indeed). But it is possible different weps are better against different mobs (think I've said before that I've often felt I hit Equus better with a Valor than a gun). Another possibility is that weapons have some kind of hidden accuracy stat and that HA=10 just means you are using the gun as well as is possible (before attachments for the sake of argument). Which could explain why I feel I miss more with Isis HL6 than with H400...​

[/Lots of completely untested opinions]

Just read Sirhc's post too, damn, I gotta stop using auto-aim :D

Last edited:
I have hunted the hell out of Drones using many different weapons for long periods of time. I can loose out sorely on them using a Maddox IV/Beast or 147 ME / Beast all the time. When I was using only a Justifier MK II / 104 amp I was breaking even every time (after selling gazz) and the two ubers I got were with this combo. I tried upping the amp to a 105 back then but found that I wasn't able to break even then. I've recently taken a departure from hunting my Scips and hit the Drones again. This time I tried out my EP-41 / 104 combo and found that I can break even with them and even profit a little from the Gazz.

I really do think that the other comment Marco stated during some Q & A holds very true (although may change as you progress). Paraphrased but something to the effect of, 'Anyone can do well. You just need to find the right combination of weapon and mob.'

Edit: It may have been equipement and not weapon now that I think about it more. Never the less weapon was what I read into it.

Edit 2: I should have pointed out that I still do terrible hunting Drones with the 147 ME / Beast combo even though I'm doing well with the EP-41 / 104 combo. Based on what we believe so far my theoretical economy is actually higher on the 147 ME / Beast than it is on the EP-41 / 104. I have over 1.5k more in both Rifle and BLP Tech than I do in HG and Laser Tech. The return difference though is grossly obvious and in favor of the EP-41.

Could be there's a "loot boost" when your using the right weapon for your skills then?

if you re almost dead you have very poor hit ability on mobs, maybe in pvp too.
I have noticed when tanking a mob and im almost dead, i know next hit will kill me but i keep shooting because the mob is almost dead aswell. But i miss 3 times in a row and mob kills me. So you need max health to do tests.

if you re almost dead you have very poor hit ability on mobs, maybe in pvp too.
I have noticed when tanking a mob and im almost dead, i know next hit will kill me but i keep shooting because the mob is almost dead aswell. But i miss 3 times in a row and mob kills me. So you need max health to do tests.

It's been observed that frantically mashing the fire button can result in "misfires" where the weapon doesn't actually burn ammo, or more misses compared to a slightly more leisurely fire rate. I think that's the source of your experience.

The problem with sirhc's belief, which i think every time he posts it, is that it doesn't really fit in with the mostly proven fact that the damage distribution is random. The only way i'm ever going to give it merit is if someone posts data showing it to hold, otherwise i will ignore it as i have in the past as a subjectively biased experience. No offense. :) However, if you care to post describing some of these "critical spots" you've found, others who care to could try them out and see if they have a similar experience.

Anyway, do i have a volunteer to do the octagon tests? I might be able to get in tonight or tomorrow.

I don't think we've established any basis for assuming different levels of misses on a maxed SIB weapon. At current market prices, the 400 with a103 is 3.4% less efficient than the 380 with a103, so that could indeed be your reason. Loot varies a lot, too.

We really shouldn't be using return rate as data because it is so variable and subjective. Short of counting misses and hits with a weapon, there's not many ways to make a contribution to this issue.

jdegre, m2100 with 1 PED ammo in an abandoned octagon, with both players counting misses, would be a great test. Then mann mph with 1 PED ammo and no attachments, then with a full 2xsight + scope setup. A final test with someone like mjukis who has such a high HA that the skill mod would put them up to 10 HA would be perfect. To see if there's anything to sirhc's beliefs, the "victim" could record damage received during the test, and do one while sighting through the scope vs. not.

If misses happen in the first test, it should probably be repeated. The rest would ideally be repeated a few times to get a standard error. Depending on the results, repeating some of the tests on another avatar with much higher (or lower) Dodger standing would be interesting.

I'll do it when i get time to login if nobody else does first.

Would be happy to help with that. I have decent (?) dodger (clearly wrote the wrong thing earlier) at just above level 30 yet those maxed 10/10 seem to hit me all the time. I may be a good test subject. Where do I need to be when? ... I'm free for a while here. :) (should get some sleep at some point though :laugh:)

Edit: gahhh ... I work nights :p ... thought you meant sometime sooner.

Could be there's a "loot boost" when your using the right weapon for your skills then?

Many interesting possibilities with that but I don't want to go off topic here. Only reason I've brought up all these views is that I believe they are variables that negate our control group. There needs to be NO differences in each test comparison (or all we can eliminate) to properly gauge the effect of scopes / sights.

Last edited:
I would make sure a shot is not taken while the target is fapping, as with mobs I've noticed I tend to get hit more while fapping.

I strongly reject all the theories that assume different weapons have some sort of hidden hitrate or damage rate, unless someone comes with evidence. If it would realy exist, it would mean the damage interval and the HA stats you see in the weapons info are almost totally meaningless. It would also mean that our assumption that the IMK2 is the most efficient weapon ingame is wrong. Basicly, everything we know about weapon efficiency would be wrong. Besides that, I think it is an offtopic subject.

Anyway, do i have a volunteer to do the octagon tests? I might be able to get in tonight or tomorrow.

I'm happy to join in, probably will have to be tomorrow for me though.

If it would realy exist, it would mean the damage interval and the HA stats you see in the weapons info are almost totally meaningless.

Yes, quite scary... but also off-topic true, apart from the potential impact on testing scopes&lasers if different tests use different weps.

PvP and HA

Ok, curiosity was killing me. I spent some time in the octagon with a mann and m2100. Here's what i've got so far thanks to some help. These are all vs. a player with no Dodger levels.

Maxed SIB weapon (m2100): 100 shots
Hit rate 1.0
No crit hits

< Level 1 Laser Pistoleer (Hit)) with Mann MPH: 5x100 shots
Hit rate 0.818 +- 0.043
No crit hits

Level ~47 Laser Pistoleer (Hit) with Mann MPH: 2x100 shots
Hit rate 0.97 +- 0
1 total crit hit (out of 200)

Level ~47 Laser Pistoleer (Hit) with Mann MPH + 2x SE600 and 1900RS (28% skill mod -- Effective level 60 (Hit): 2x100 shots
Hit rate 0.98 +- 0.02
1 total crit hit (out of 200)

It apparently is indeed possible to get 100% hits in PvP. What's not so certain is the nature of the range from 0 HA to 10 HA. The base HA gives around 0.8 hit rate -- the same as against mobs -- but even at just halfway to maxed i was getting nearly perfect hits. I think it might be a higher order curve than linear, which would mean that skill mod attachments in PvP would be less effective than against mobs (and also mean that low (Hit) skills in PvP aren't as important); however, it is not certain from my tests if skill mod does anything at all in PvP.

hit_rate.gif

Using the asymptotic fn(x) = 1/sqrt(x) gives a result that has hit rate ~0.97 at 4.7 HA (plotted above). This function predicts a hit rate of ~0.9 at HA 0.8 and a hit rate of ~0.95 at HA 3. Some tests by players in the range 0.5-3.0 HA would be very helpful at verifying this.

Special mention goes out to GoodRich and Coulton, a couple of adolescents who ignored my request that they leave me alone to do my tests and thought that they were cool because together they could eventually kill me (we're talking 1+ minutes here). Mad skills there, guys...

Last edited:
I think MA stated some time ago that PVP was changed to allow irl shooting skills to be more important...

Those tests were also done on a player with no Dodger level you say? Perhaps that is why it seems so easy to max hits prior to 10/10? I wonder what the curve would look like on non SIB weapons against someone like Skalman.

Those tests were also done on a player with no Dodger level you say? Perhaps that is why it seems so easy to max hits prior to 10/10? I wonder what the curve would look like on non SIB weapons against someone like Skalman.

My guess is that the results would be very different.

It still appears as if the hit rate reaches 100% when the weapon has been maxed, but I'm wondering if there's any percentage between 80 - 100 which you reach depending on your H/A as well as the targets dodger level.

The hit rate could possibly reach X% earlier depending on your H/A as well as the targets dodger level. Perhaps the hit rate increases from 80 - 100% at a regular rate if the target has a dodger level at 100.

It would however be slower if the target has a dodger level around level 20 or so. Then your hit rate would increase rather fast in the beginning, and you would reach X% at 2.0 in H/A, and then it would continue from there and reach 100% at 10.0 in H/A.

I hope some of that made sense, sorry, it's a bit late for me.

Last edited:
In trying to find a way to reconcile the three data points (0 HA, 4.7 HA, and 10 HA), i found something that works ok:

hit_rate.gif

It may be that the opponent's Dodger level modifies the curve something like this:
hit_rate2.gif

The problem is, at my HA this equation gives a difference of just 1% in hitrate between a level 0 Dodger and a level 30 Dodger. This function predicts a hit rate of ~0.9 at HA 0.8 and a hit rate of ~0.95 at HA 3. We need some tests by players in the range 0.5-3.0 HA laser pistoleer vs. a level 0 Dodger and a high level Dodger. Volunteers?

I believe it is only different in PVP situations, and mobs all have the same evade of dodge level.

Do they? When I have scanned mobs I see different stats. Agility in particular and that would have the same benefit for the mob as it does for us.

A little bit off topic, but I have read somewhere in the past that mob's intelligence was tied to how often they crit you. So, maybe mob's attributes effectively play a role in how well they attack you and how well they evade/dodge your attacks.

More on topic...

I agree with this completely. If the stats on the mobs have no bearing, then why would they exist?

I appreciate everyone approaching these issues with a scientific point of view... I simply do not have the patience to figure all this mess out :ahh:

I think MA stated some time ago that PVP was changed to allow irl shooting skills to be more important...

Hehe ...maybe that could be something to do with no loot being payable in PvP kills? Well nothing from the MA lootpool that isn't already in the hands of players at least.

They can afford to make it real in PvP, but in hunting mobs it would cost more in loot...hence the 100% possibility only in PvP?

t

We need some tests by players in the range 0.5-3.0 HA laser pistoleer vs. a level 0 Dodger and a high level Dodger. Volunteers?

like what level dodger?

Do they? When I have scanned mobs I see different stats. Agility in particular and that would have the same benefit for the mob as it does for us.

I agree with this completely. If the stats on the mobs have no bearing, then why would they exist?

I appreciate everyone approaching these issues with a scientific point of view... I simply do not have the patience to figure all this mess out :ahh:

There simple hasnt been any proof of the mobs attributes affecting anything, with exception of stamina. Most people experience no noticable difference in their hit% between different mobs. So unless proven otherwise, I assume the hit% is the same on all mobs.

So why do these attributes exist? Well, at least we know what stamina means. But the other attributes dont realy seem to have a relation to anything. Most of them are filled in on the entropedia mobchart. I have been trying to figure it out but it didnt make any sense at all to me. Mobs with high hitrate and low attributes, mobs with low hitrate and high attributes, slow mobs with high agility etc.

Hehe ...maybe that could be something to do with no loot being payable in PvP kills? Well nothing from the MA lootpool that isn't already in the hands of players at least.

They can afford to make it real in PvP, but in hunting mobs it would cost more in loot...hence the 100% possibility only in PvP?

t

It's clear now that entirely different rules apply for determining hits in PvP situations, rules that make success more dependent on gear and PvP skills so as to appeal more to the players who don't have interest in hunting so much as PKing. I'd bet my pet Fido that was what was tweaked in the case Xen mentions.

I explained earlier why that isn't likely and gave some examples to support it. Now that i have verified the existence of a different effective HA in PvP, it puts to rest (in my opinion) any notion that mobs have Dodging skills because it justifies that line from the info on HA that was the main basis for questioning it. I've never noticed different hit rates on different mobs, except in the cases where the hit box is poorly designed (see for example the thread kicking around about how miner bots can't be hit with shortblade due to this).

The hit rates most likely follow the two equations below (or similar looking ones -- that's what we're still working on). You'll note that only one involves a parameter from the target.
hit_rate2.gif

like what level dodger?

Well, ideally 100 so that we can see the most extreme effect, but since that's not very realistic unless an uber volunteers, as high as possible. Coffee is about 30, so that's the level to beat.

One thing that has been nagging me is that i know i have successfully dodged grenades multiple times. I guess it's possible that the grenader had < 10/10 on the launcher. Less likely is that the hit ability on those works differently. I'll need to ask next time it happens to be sure.

Last edited:
I just did the test I suggested with Cersus, but the result isnt realy conclusive. My HA and the skillmod were too small. HA is 4.63 and skillmob was 36, which would result in HA 6.30.

Theoreticly I would have without scopes::
80% + 0.463*11% = 85.1%
and with scopes:
80% + 0.630*11% = 86.9%

Testresult without was:
431hit/500shots = 86.2%
Testresult with was:
436hit/500shots = 87.2%

Number of shots is too small but you get pretty braindead during the test so you cant keep it up that long :laugh:

Good thing was that I had 40 ped loot so made profit :D

I just did the test I suggested with Cersus, but the result isnt realy conclusive. My HA and the skillmod were too small. HA is 4.63 and skillmob was 36, which would result in HA 6.30.

Theoreticly I would have without scopes::
80% + 0.463*11% = 85.1%
and with scopes:
80% + 0.630*11% = 86.9%

Testresult without was:
431hit/500shots = 86.2%
Testresult with was:
436hit/500shots = 87.2%

Strange that they were both about the same amount higher than predicted. We really need to do a baseline (0 HA) on mobs.

Number of shots is too small but you get pretty braindead during the test so you cant keep it up that long :laugh:

Yeah i understand completely. :silly2:

Good thing was that I had 40 ped loot so made profit :D
The ol' regen thing again, hmm? ;)

Strange that they were both about the same amount higher than predicted. We really need to do a baseline (0 HA) on mobs.

Well, one is ~1.1% off and the other just 0.3% off. But I gotta say a mistake of 2-3 hits is easy made. I have very crappy connection and the damage messages are not sequential shown in chat, so some damage messages are from a couple shots back.

One thing we could say is that if the attachments have no effect, the deviation is pretty big, about 2.1%

The ol' regen thing again, hmm? ;)

One of the test cersu gave me 9 ped (pretty odd for a cersu, might be the regen thing) and the other 2 ped (standard loot). After that I killed one on the way to the TP with korss and it had 30 ;)

Last edited:
Well, one is ~1.1% off and the other just 0.3% off. But I gotta say a mistake of 2-3 hits is easy made.
Sure is, and my bad on what i said before: i misread the numbers.

I have very crappy connection and the damage messages are not sequential shown in chat, so some damage messages are from a couple shots back.
In the ring tests i waited for the avatar's hit animation to stop before firing again, but i can understand this would be a problem against the cersumon. :D

If someone with 0 HA wants to do this test i could FAP.

To make it all a bit easyer, I heard there used to be an OCR program that reads the chat and can record the damage you do. What happened to this program? Or did it never exist? If not, maybe its a idea to create a tool like this. With help of Squee or Dutchy that should be easy to do right?

I can just set my anti RSI software on 2 seconds so the cersu doesnt die, and can let it do runs of 2000 shots or somthing, without any need of interaction.

A friend of mine just did a small test on Tantillions using a Mann MPH with a Hit Ability of 0.315 - 0.33.

Total Shoots: 998
Total Hits: 800
Hit Rate: 80.16%

The hit rate should theoretically have been a bit higher according to the 80 - 91% formula, but the test wasn't large enough to cover it all. It does however seem that the lowest hit rate could be 80% from this test.

Here are the results from lower amount of shoots fired:

Total Shoots: 869
Total Hits: 700
Hit Rate: 80.55%

Total Shoots: 743
Total Hits: 600
Hit Rate: 80.75%

Total Shoots: 619
Total Hits: 500
Hit Rate: 80.77%

Last edited:
We just did a batch of Hunnir lasers and jzar scopes so if u need highend attachments to test with just gimme a pm as im very interrested in the results also

There simple hasnt been any proof of the mobs attributes affecting anything, with exception of stamina. Most people experience no noticable difference in their hit% between different mobs. So unless proven otherwise, I assume the hit% is the same on all mobs.

So why do these attributes exist? Well, at least we know what stamina means. But the other attributes dont realy seem to have a relation to anything. Most of them are filled in on the entropedia mobchart. I have been trying to figure it out but it didnt make any sense at all to me. Mobs with high hitrate and low attributes, mobs with low hitrate and high attributes, slow mobs with high agility etc.

You got me there... until proven otherwise yeah.

...I've never noticed different hit rates on different mobs, except in the cases where the hit box is poorly designed (see for example the thread kicking around about how miner bots can't be hit with shortblade due to this)...

I have no stats to support it, but I have found some mobs are more difficult to hit than others. I admit it could be the weapon of choice... like mentioned in the example of the miner bot. I find SEGs very hard to hit as well... much harder than any other mob.

A question for the group doing the testing: is the shooting with manual aiming or auto-aim (select mob and press hot key)? Also, do you guys think it makes a difference manual aim vs. auto-aim?

Thanks again for the research!! Very good stuff!

Since the results we seem to keep getting appear ambiguous, I thought we might be barking up the wrong tree. While everyone seems to be focusing on HA multipliers, I thought I would do a small experiment to see if skillgains are the actual intended effect of lasers and scopes. Many people have suggested this, but I have seen no actual tests yet.

The setup: Opalo +A101
Target: Foul Young only.

I did not track the hits or misses, did not track the loot, in fact I did not even track the number killed. I went out with 20 PED ammo for each run, approximately 1 hour of hunting. I checked my skills before the hunt and noted them. I recorded my skills after the hunt and recorded them. I did 10 hunts one after the other, alternating between the naked Opalo +A101 and one loaded with a Seizzt 1950RS and two Seizzt 2000L+ for a 15% skill bonus. Each run with the scope and sights added 0.65 PED to my decay bill. My Opalo has been maxed for years, my laser sniper (hit) is 26. I used the chip optimizer tool to determine the PED value of the skills earned for each run. I believe that regardless of level the PED value of skills on identical runs should be equal as the optimizer tool accounts for the varying value of skills at differing levels. I used auto-aim only. Here are the results:

Run #1 (With attachments)
9 PED of skills

Run #2 (Naked)
6 PED of skills

Run #3 (With attachments)
8 PED of skills

Run #4 (Naked)
4 PED of skills

Run #5 (With attachments)
9 PED of skills

Run #6 (Naked)
6 PED of skills

Run #7 (With attachments)
7 PED of skills

Run #8 (Naked)
7 PED of skills

Run #9 (With attachments)
9 PED of skills

Run #10 (Naked)
7 PED of skills.

Naked total = 30 PED of skills

Attach total = 42 PED of skills.

Now, granted, the optimizer tool includes chip prices, so that would have to be subtracted out somehow. 200 PED for a test may not sound huge, but trust me, I killed a rather obscene number of foul youngs. The other problem is the rounding to the highest PED by the optimizer, it is not an accurate enough tool to get exact stats. I do know I spent an additional 3.25 in attachment decay in return for an additional 12 PED towards my skills (should I have purchased chips instead). That sounds like a pretty good deal, and does not count the agility bumps I picked up along the way either.

Perhaps this is why they raised the curve for hunting related skills... now you need uber scopes and sights to get past 5.0 HA before you retire.

You make the call. One critter only tested, one single setup. I wonder if the results would vary with different guns and different targets. Or if this is simply a statistic anomaly.

PS: selling foul bone buttons :)

Last edited:
Since the results we seem to keep getting appear ambiguous, I thought we might be barking up the wrong tree. While everyone seems to be focusing on HA multipliers, I thought I would do a small experiment to see if skillgains are the actual intended effect of lasers and scopes. Many people have suggested this, but I have seen no actual tests yet.

The other problem is the rounding to the highest PED by the optimizer, it is not an accurate enough tool to get exact stats. I do know I spent an additional 3.25 in attachment decay in return for an additional 12 PED towards my skills (should I have purchased chips instead).

I wouldn't describe the results as ambiguous. We have pretty substantial evidence that the skill mod acts as a multiplier for effective HA when hunting with unmaxed weapons.

Your experiment is interesting, but you ought to use Entropia Tools or WikiTools to do the skill calculations. Both of those are better suited for that purpose, and will give more details and PEC precision. How did you record the skills? If you did it with NRF snapshots, i have a script that can parse the full data file (in XML format) and calculate the gain between each hunt in hunting professions specifically.

Rayne: I use autoaim (right click) for my PvP tests to set the aim, and then left click.

How did you record the skills? If you did it with NRF snapshots, i have a script that can parse the full data file (in XML format) and calculate the gain between each hunt in hunting professions specifically.

I would be interested in that. :)

I would be interested in that. :)

It requires a python interpreter and isn't very user friendly. You still want it? :laugh:

I hoped to get the functionality included in NRF or a similar program, but didn't get any bites from Squee or see enough community interest to turn it into a finished program on its own.

davidfalkayn on gmail could help you out if you want to send in the NRF file Rival.

Back