The Maddox IV

Fade

Stalker
Society
Masters of Chaos Chat
Caldonicus Fade Lore
I recently got bored with my m2910 (which is a great gun, thanks Rave for the tip). and decided to upgrade once again.. to the oft discussed Maddox IV (though keeping my ep-40 for economy hunts).

My first thought was......yea baby... nice gun.

Then I noticed the decay...ouch.

I know I was hunting some poorly looting mobs that day, but what do you guys think... is the maddox IV really worth it? Or does it just seem to decay faster, cuz it fires faster...and you hunt faster with it?

Do you think it is good to keep the ep-40 for economy (2910 did have worse economy I think)

Is there a better mid-high range (affordable) gun for economy?

What is a nice (affordable) blp pistol for economy hunts? (it is nice to have a backup blp, for when my maddox breaks).

what I mean by affordable is 400-800 ped.

Thoughts?

It has been said time and time again ammo burn and decay alonge mean NOTTHING it is the combined dmg / pec that deicded how efficent a gun is. EP 40 is 4.1 and I belive a maddox is 4.19 or something along those lines.

I carried one for a long time... my initial thought was to have a big ass dps gun in case I ever got into trouble and needed it.... Then I found myself breaking it out quite often, and consequently lost a LOT of ped with it.

If you are more disciplined than myself, by all means grab one and toss a dante on it... I took out some pretty big mobs with very low HG skill. If you're looking for economy in any respect, stay far far away... it's far to tempting to use it.

Just my 2 pecs, I'm sure people more skilled than myself have profited with it. (I'm around 2800HG and 3.5k other ranged combat skill averages)

Fade said:
I recently got bored with my m2910 (which is a great gun, thanks Rave for the tip). and decided to upgrade once again.. to the oft discussed Maddox IV (though keeping my ep-40 for economy hunts).

My first thought was......yea baby... nice gun.

Then I noticed the decay...ouch.

I know I was hunting some poorly looting mobs that day, but what do you guys think... is the maddox IV really worth it? Or does it just seem to decay faster, cuz it fires faster...and you hunt faster with it?

Do you think it is good to keep the ep-40 for economy (2910 did have worse economy I think)

Is there a better mid-high range (affordable) gun for economy?

What is a nice (affordable) blp pistol for economy hunts? (it is nice to have a backup blp, for when my maddox breaks).

what I mean by affordable is 400-800 ped.

Thoughts?

According to www.pe-wiki.info the EP-40 has 4.12 dmg/pec and The Maddox IV has 4.19 dmg/pec.
This would mean the Maddox is more economical even if it has higher decay. The Maddox has less ammoburn and therefore the high decay doesnt matter.

The Maddox also got more dmg/sec wich would mean u can kill a mob faster = less HP regained by the mob = more economical (of course the mob must be big enought so u dont overkill too much, or you could use a finisher-weapon).

I only had Maddox IV for a short time and i'm mainly a rifle-user, but i think its a good gun. If u smack a Dante amp on to it u get a lot of firepower ;)

Since all weapons are more expensive now i would advice you to wait until LG is over, if you're not in a hurry to get a better weapon :rolleyes:

Thats my thoughts, tho i'm not a expert.
Hope it made sense.

/illern

It seems to me that you dislike the high decay of the maddox IV. Here's some comparisons of HG stats I did (Note: the dmg/sec is based on the max dmg dealt by the weapon, irl you won't get this, instead you'll on average get a fixed(roughly) % of it across all handguns - also the dmg/pec figure includes the decay cost):

Maddox IV 4.19 dmg/pec 51.3 dmg/sec Decay : 3.5pec/shot
FreanD Delta 4.31 dmg/pec 48.4 dmg/sec Decay : 3.2pec/shot

So if you want to stick with blp, the FreanD Delta is a bit more cost effective at a slightly reduced rate of dmg inflicted. However, they both have a high decay, so you'll still be thinking oouchh!! when you come to repair it.

For lower decay, we need to look at energy weapons:-

EP-40 Merc 4.12 dmg/pec 36.9 dmg/sec Decay : 0.95 pec/shot
EP-41 Mil 4.13 dmg/pec 49.5 dmg/sec Decay : 1.3 pec/shot
EP-45 Hunt 4.08 dmg/pec 50.3 dmg/sec Decay : 2.2 pec/shot
EP-50 Rang 4.13 dmg/pec 48.0 dmg/sec Decay : 2.5 pec/shot
M2910 4.18 dmg/pec 45.9 dmg/sec Decay : 1.2 pec/shot
M2875 4.13 dmg/pec 44 dmg/sec Decay : 0.65 pec/shot
Karma Killer 4.2 dmg/pec 44 dmg/sec Decay : 0.65 pec/shot

Now of these, the Hunter & Ranger have relatively high decay, and they arn't the most efficient weapons in terms of dmg/pec, so eliminate those.

You already had a M2910 and got bored of it, so i don't suppose you want to go back to it - so eliminate it, and likewise the EP-40 as you have one already.

So your choice is EP-41 Mil, M2875 or the Karma Killer.

Now the Karma killer and M2875 have pretty much the same stats, but the KK does one extra shot per minute over the M2875 (which we'll eliminate).

So it's a choice between EP-41 Mil or the KK.

The choice is:-

EP-41 Mil 4.13 dmg/pec 49.5 dmg/sec Decay : 1.3 pec/shot
Karma Killer 4.2 dmg/pec 44 dmg/sec Decay : 0.65 pec/shot

KK has half the decay of the EP-41, slightly better dmg/pec but lower dmg/sec. Or you can choose the EP-41 for it's greater damage delivery and accept the higher decay and lower efficiency.

The choice is yours.

[Note: Not given consideration to range at all. I may have made mistooks :D in some of the calcs, it's been known :dunce: No warrenty or representation regarding the accuracy of this info is expressed or implied - it's upto you ;) ]

However - strictly speaking, looking purely at the figures, the Maddox IV and FreanD Delta are both very efficient guns. The only handguns i'm aware of that are more efficient are the EP-40 Mod Merc and the Imp M2870, both of which have the sort of decay you could fall in love with.

Before I quit, my main prof standing was pistoleer (had around 6k) ...I've tried almost EVERY pistol there is lol...but my favorite pistol in that price range has got to be the M2875.

Of course charts and such say that the maddox IV is better, but going out with around 200k ammo isn't a good idea as your pistol and dante will break around halfway through making you buy 2 maddox and 2 dantes if you actually want to hunt for real for real.

Besides M2875 (which I like because of its fast reload and low decay), I like the M2930ME (faster, more dmg and kinda higher decay), or you could just move on up to the imp2870 which is theee shit imho... Mod Merc is just way too expensive, but I've dropped atrox guardians in like 20 seconds with one.

Laser for lifee!!!!

Nerishimo said:
Before I quit, my main prof standing was pistoleer (had around 6k) ...I've tried almost EVERY pistol there is lol...but my favorite pistol in that price range has got to be the M2875.

Of course charts and such say that the maddox IV is better, but going out with around 200k ammo isn't a good idea as your pistol and dante will break around halfway through making you buy 2 maddox and 2 dantes if you actually want to hunt for real for real.

Besides M2875 (which I like because of its fast reload and low decay), I like the M2930ME (faster, more dmg and kinda higher decay), or you could just move on up to the imp2870 which is theee shit imho... Mod Merc is just way too expensive, but I've dropped atrox guardians in like 20 seconds with one.

Laser for lifee!!!!

don't really agree with ya mate ;) BLP rocks, maddox is one of the most efficient gun :eek: i can hunt with 380ped ammo until my maddox+beast broke
i've also tryed the m2875 this one i great too but slower and less dmg with amp except if you use a A204 or E-15 (expensive amp)

BLP for life !!!

:dunce:

Laser For life :) I have a Karma killer and that gun rocks :) soon i'll upgrade to impm2870 :cool:

I feel one of the most missed points about the Maddox IV is this. The decay of the mad IV is 3.5 pec and the burn is 7 making 10.5 pec cost. This looks good as it makes the dmg/pec 4.19 which is good. I will not argue that. BUT (and a fairly big one) is that this means that for every 210 ped ammo (3000 rounds) you will have to pay 105 ped decay. Although it has been mentioned in other posts that MA have stated that all decay goes back into loot pool (along with auction fees(not sure of transport fees)) this does not help unless it is your personal area that receives the extra loot. As there is no guarantee of this then it is far better (IMHO) to pay attention to economy AND decay.
Just before V.U. 7.8 I sold my Nemesis and Maddox IV and bought myself an EWE EP 21 Defender Improved for 1900 ped (+1400) which has 4.31 dmg/pec. Best thing I ever did. I have found that I can still hunt the same mobs that I hunted before (yes, a little slower) and for 240 ped (3000 rounds) only costs 3.9 ped decay.
Yes, I know the maddox is faster and does more dmg (see, slower I told ya) but 3000 rounds (210 ped ammo) with mad 4 is 132000 total dmg (44 every time). Total with mad 4 including 105 ped decay is 315 ped. With 35 dmg the Imp 21 needs 3771 rounds (301.68 ped ammo) to do the same 132000 total damage. Total with Imp 21 including 4.90 ped decay is 306.58 ped. THAT'S NEARLY THE SAME, I hear you shout. But with the Imp 21 you have cycled more ped through the immediate loot pool (when you are there hunting) as nearly everything is ammo. However if decay IS added to the loot pool then it will only be added when you have repaired the weapon and will not be added to the loot pool when you are hunting. If decay is NOT added then the savings speak for themselves. I personally choose to play safe on that front by minimising decay.
As I know one of the first points raised is going to be cost of Imp 21 I suggest you bear in mind that based on savings on decay I only needed to run 3800 ped in ammo through my Imp 21 (not in one go. maybe 200 ped a day) and I had saved the cost of the Imp 21 from Mad 4 decay.
I realise that my preference is not going to be to every ones taste but I am closer to breaking even regularly than I ever was before.

Edit: By the way at around 0.0013 ped decay (0.13pec) and a full TT of 500 ped I can fire 373076 times costing 2984.61 ped in ammo before the gun cannot be used. Maddox 4 is 4157 rounds for 290.99 ped.

Last edited:
Number crunching is nice, and necessary. But how about this: The Maddox fires 70x a minute. Standing face to face with an Atrox Dominant, and every time he's about to take a bite out of you, you hit him. Every time. It's about the only gun that can do that. And if you hit the Trox, IT will not hit you. You've effectively interrupted his attack, postponed any hit you were about to take. You live longer, get less injured, take less armor and fap decay, all because your gun fires so rapidly.

The Maddox makes me (feel) safer than any other HG I've tried, and I've tried most EP models, up to and including the Ranger. None of them beat the Maddox 4. With a Dante on top, it rules.

Thanks for the advice...all. the m2910 is still a great gun, but I do also like the range increase with switching to the maddox IV. I can't wait to put a dante on it...that should be rather nice.

I will still keep my ep-40... I used it forever, and perhaps that is why I got so used to better efficiency.

The other reason I went Mad, was I wanted to accelerate my skilling...and I think it worked...as the next day, I finally got up to Great Laser Pistoleer. It does seem to generate more skills for me... I think.

Thanks for your thoughts... maybe loots have just been down for me lately...and that is making me feel the pain or repair more acutely.

When looking at the cost though, I think I should add a little bit of armor and fap savings to the mix.

I watched the posts carefuly.
My opinion about calculating the effectivenes of a gun goes a lil bit different.
There are 3 aspects.
The real objective one is the stats of the gun.
Decay + ammo used / number of shoots gives you the real cost/shoot
Second objective aspect
Real damage, not related with possible max damage that gun can deal. You have to watch how much damage you can deal from the same ammount of peds (decay+ammo). This I usualy calculate form real hunt. You hunt mobs for the same ammounts of peds (decay+ammo) with each gun on same mob and you see which gun kills most mobs and in shorter time.​
Subjective aspect
How much you like the gun. I personally like BLP cause of the sound... the sound is amazing. Let alone the speed that is driving you like a fast car. But this is subjective ;)

Considering these reasons you can choose which gun is best for you.

From my calculations, the economics of Maddox IV unamped is a lil better than m2875.
The total cost/ shoot is same but Maddox IV is faster.
The reason why I stick with my m2875 is that I dont have enough BLP skills yet to equalise the real damage factor
:(

Rhino said:
Maddox IV 4.19 dmg/pec 51.3 dmg/sec Decay : 3.5pec/shot
FreanD Delta 4.31 dmg/pec 48.4 dmg/sec Decay : 3.2pec/shot

Ehhm... HUH?
The FreanD Delta and Maddox 4 has identical damage/reload and decay. :wise:

guns.JPG

stats from pe-wiki.info

Well... That's wrong.
Not the first time the charts has some wrong info. I think the Maddox info is correct, but not the FreanD info.

Last edited:
I had a Maddox IV for some time and the decay kills.
Then I bought an M2875 and i really dont understand why its so cheap because its f...... great.

I tested them 2 guns for decay and M2875 decays half as mutch as maddoxIV. I sold my maddoxIV right away. Dont even wanna own one again.

When i spend 20000ammo the decay on M2875 is only 9-10ped. I know you can find pistols with better decay but i like the 60 hits in minute. I use it all the time and almost never use my rifles anymore.

I say go for Karmakiller or M2875. I dont know about the decay on karma killer but if its exactly the same as M2875 then go for Karma killer.

it dont make any sense that damage and reload is the same, while attacks per minute and dmg/sec is not. somthing must be wrong with the stats on pe-wiki.

Those stats on wiki about the delta are highly suspect imho. It got recently changed into this, before it had the same dmg/pec as the dante showing on the site. On all other stats sites the dmg/pec for the Delta is the same as the Maddox IV. So if someone with a delta could do a little test and tell us what the dmg/pec really is I would be much obliged.

tip said:
I had a Maddox IV for some time and the decay kills.
Then I bought an M2875 and i really dont understand why its so cheap because its f...... great.

I tested them 2 guns for decay and M2875 decays half as mutch as maddoxIV. I sold my maddoxIV right away. Dont even wanna own one again.

When i spend 20000ammo the decay on M2875 is only 9-10ped. I know you can find pistols with better decay but i like the 60 hits in minute. I use it all the time and almost never use my rifles anymore.

Remember that the total cost is ammo burn+decay.
Since maddox IV has much less ammo burn then m2875 and that the ammo cost same each (1 pec), then it is wrong to tell about decay only.
If skills are low, you will lose faster peds wth maddox IV since it has faster reload, but that is another case. :D

/Kjetil :cool:

Daar said:
...if someone with a delta could do a little test and tell us what the dmg/pec really is I would be much obliged.

It is the same as the for Maddox 4. Identical. :wise:

Kjetil said:
Remember that the total cost is ammo burn+decay.
Since maddox IV has much less ammo burn then m2875 and that the ammo cost same each (1 pec), then it is wrong to tell about decay only.
If skills are low, you will lose faster peds wth maddox IV since it has faster reload, but that is another case. :D

/Kjetil :cool:

Exactly. The Maddox/Dante combo decays horribly. BUT: It easily compensates this by using much less ammo. You pay in ammo what you save on decay when u use a Merc or Ranger.
Problem with most people who complain about decay is that they get confronted with the decay all at once, at the repair terminal. They don't calculate that it took them much more ammo (and therefore much more PED) to kill the same amount of mobs. It sorta evens out. With a favourable leaning towards the Maddox.

Even though some of the data might be slightly off on pe-wiki.info, most of it appears to be correct and fairly up to date.

Just in case it is unclear, the efficiancy rating listing on pe-wiki.info has the decay calculated into it.

So if a Maddox IV says 4.13 or 4.19 or whatever and some other gun says 4.05. Then based purely on stats, and math, the Maddox is more efficiant.

If another gun says 4.25 or something, then again, based purely on stats and math, a Maddox is less efficiant.

Now I say purely on stats and math because you probably should calculate other things into your equations such as the fast fire rate and tearing through a mob much more quickly than with other weapons with a higher efficiancy.

Like dbelinfante stated, when you're standing face to face with an Atrox and every time you fire you disrupt his attack and he gets way less hits on you, you can take down larger mobs and sustain less damage to your armor if the mob is not hitting you.

dbelinfante said:
Number crunching is nice, and necessary. But how about this: The Maddox fires 70x a minute. Standing face to face with an Atrox Dominant, and every time he's about to take a bite out of you, you hit him. Every time. It's about the only gun that can do that. And if you hit the Trox, IT will not hit you. You've effectively interrupted his attack, postponed any hit you were about to take. You live longer, get less injured, take less armor and fap decay, all because your gun fires so rapidly.

The Maddox makes me (feel) safer than any other HG I've tried, and I've tried most EP models, up to and including the Ranger. None of them beat the Maddox 4. With a Dante on top, it rules.

I just wanted to point out that I can interrupt a mobs attack pattern just as easily with my Imp 21 by timing my shots correctly. I also find that because of the current lag problems I also miss less using my 60 shots per second Imp, Firing so quickly seems to have nasty effects which I encountered with both a borrowed Mad 4 and my A101-A104 amped MPH's for when I hunt small mobs. Strangely the lag problem was not there pre 7.8.

I alsow bought once a Maddox IV, great gun, fires fast, kills greatly, best friend in combat.... but worce enemy to your PED card. It drived me in to bancruped withing 2 weeks ( i have set, my self 100$ per month), so i selled it.... i felt so bad, but i could not afford to using it.. great gun.
If anyone of you reading this and are able to deposit more than 100$ per month then i have two words for you USE IT, it's great for killing mobs.
I started to look another great pistol and found Omegaton M2875, naw i have used it over 3 months and it great too, deacay is low as it can be, i dont need to spend all my money reparing it and it's stats isn't not worce than maddox 4.

So if you can't offord a Maddox 4, use Omegaton M2875 ( warning, hard to get ). But this is only my humble opinion :D

Perhaps one reason that the maddox drives some of us to be bankrupt, is that it allows us to hunt bigger (higher risk) mobs. We all know that it can be an expensive risk hunting beyond your skill level with any weapon.

The sound is nice on the maddox, true. But it also keeps you busy...clicking alot, to keep that dam/sec rate where you want it.

It may be all about perception. With my merc... I have to make several trips to buy more ammo before repairing the gun...with my maddox, I have to make at least 1 repair trip before I have gone through my 100 ped of ammo. (cuz I am cheap, and usually only put 40 ped on my gun repair). The overall cost may be better on the maddox...but the frequent repair has a psychological factor.

I also like the skills I get on the maddox... I think I get a bit more with it. I also don't seem to miss as much...even though my laser skill is over 3x my blp skill. But thos blp skills are going up quickly.

I don't know if skill hits are tied to expense of use of an item...or instance of use of an item.... if the latter, then frequently firing weapons should allow you to skill up faster. Though I don't know if anyone really knows the scoop on this. I.e. does my marbler give triple the skill increase when it actually gives anything?

I can't wait to get a dante on this thing though....wish me a hof.

Im using a FreanD Delta wich is almost desame as a Maddox. Im a miner so i use it for selfdefence and it works great, and it has less decay then the maddox 4 to :)

Kyndig said:
I just wanted to point out that I can interrupt a mobs attack pattern just as easily with my Imp 21 by timing my shots correctly.
No you can't. Not literally. I don't want to nitpick, but it really is as simple as this: Imp 21 takes 1 sec to reload, Maddox .85 sec. Mdx is always ready sooner than Imp. Which automatically leads to the conclusion that the chance the Mdx is ready to interrupt is slightly, but significantly larger than with the Imp21.

There is a reason that everyone wants a faster gun. You're not seriously arguing that, if you're only capable enough, the firing rate makes no difference?

jhonny said:
I alsow bought once a Maddox IV, great gun, fires fast, kills greatly, best friend in combat.... but worce enemy to your PED card. It drived me in to bancruped withing 2 weeks ( i have set, my self 100$ per month), so i selled it.... i felt so bad, but i could not afford to using it.. great gun.
This has been addressed. The Maddox/Dante is NOT more expensive than other guns in it class. Please read up before spreading an uninformed opinion.

Fade said:
Perhaps one reason that the maddox drives some of us to be bankrupt, is that it allows us to hunt bigger (higher risk) mobs. We all know that it can be an expensive risk hunting beyond your skill level with any weapon.
Very good point. Happens to me all the time, it lets me kill mobs that would otherwise be out of my leage. Expensive, but that is not the guns fault.

The overall cost may be better on the maddox...but the frequent repair has a psychological factor.
What I said. It LOOKS like it costs more, people just forget they spent a lot less on ammo while they were causing the decay.
It evens out. And its speed makes the Maddox a superior gun.

I have a FreanD Delta, although I haven't used it much, cos I tend to use the Merc and ml.

I can check all the stats later on, and make sure they're correct in wiki.

sob said:
it dont make any sense that damage and reload is the same, while attacks per minute and dmg/sec is not. somthing must be wrong with the stats on pe-wiki.

If you look carefully at the chart... (of course ill check this tonight)

They both do 44 damage
The FreanD does 66 attacks per min
The Maddox does 70 attacks per min

66/60 = 0.909090909 = 0.91
70/60 = 0.857 = 0.9

What your seeing is some lack of depth in calculation by the websites data retrieval functions. Thus with both quoting 0.9 reload, the dmg sec is quite correctly different as it isn't using the bad rsolution data to perform the correction.

Hope this helps.

Back