The Older I Get

Faustian

Old No. 7
Society
Soldiers of Fortune
Faustian Faust Dok
I've notice the older I get the more irritable I get, and the less I give a shit.
I dont' know why? Maybe I've just seen to much to realy care what some 17 year old kid thinks. I don't know.... And for some older olks for that matter as well.
And in the gaming world it just gets worse. In RL kids don't speak to me, and probably have no reason too as they don't know who I am.
I'm not realy sure why I'm posting this other then the reason I'm curiouse how the rest of the older folks feel.
I'll be 34 soon, I know not realy that old but older then most gaming. My wife is 44.
I see alot of young ppl less then 20 never had a job. I started working when I was 12 on a farm behind the apartment complex whewre we lived. I made about 3$ USD an hour then and after a week I made about 80$ usd.
I still don't know where I'm going with this other then the fact that I feel the youths of this world need to relize life is hard work, or you con and scam it to get to your goal.
I don't know, post your opinions so I can find out, maybe it'll answer this rant and whatever is going thru my brain :silly2:

But not out of control :D

Last edited:
I'm already noticing that too and I'm only 20. I think it's a side-effect from being online so much, in contact with so many "bad seeds". You get to watch the same arguments over and over in every community, every group, every day and then after awhile you just think.... "Shut the hell up!" :laugh:

Aint having so mutch to tell, still got a loooong time to live ;) :dunce: :tongue2:

I feel that too and I'm still a kid myself ;)
I've been thinking "why do I even bother" a lot lately, and quite frankly, it's not a bad thought (=
If I can bring myself to stop bothering completely about all the idiots everywhere in the world (PE especially ;) ) my life would be easier (=

I always remind myself that every1 is in their own reality... I have known a fair number of adults in game that are more childish than the "kids". It's all about how some1 is raised, what their life is like atm, what their expectations are, how they treat others, etc.

I am 26 atm... i can actually say that in some ways I was far more mature at 18 than I am now :laugh: I was quite precosious from an early age... but then again, I was the eldest child in the family, started working during the summers at the age of 13 (under the table of course ;) ), had travelled five countries on my own by the age of 18, etc....
Yes Faust- I understand the kids you are referring to. I'm just playing Devil's Advocate and saying that sometimes, SOMETIMES, I've learned more from those younger than me than I have from those older...
:girl:

Last edited:
Its not the years - its the tears.

Unfortunately we respect when someone has seen life and is all "mature" but secretly, older we get, we start to envy those who still can be "kids".

Faustian said:
I see alot of young ppl less then 20 never had a job. I started working when I was 12 on a farm behind the apartment complex whewre we lived. I made about 3$ USD an hour then and after a week I made about 80$ usd.

World has changed. You might ask what do you want for your own children? Would you put your son to work straight from elementary school?

Nowadays studying is pretty much working you do. I dont claim to understand "hardness" my grandparents times when people barely finished one school and then went to work. But I can claim that they dont understand the "hardness" of my time either. Now (here) you go 9 years elementary school to get ready for 2-4 years another school. And if then want to get anything else than lowest education you spend 3-8 years in different college level schools. Thats easily fifth of your life.

I guess you are just lucky if you can survive most of it without working while studying. Most of it dont. Resent studies show that every fifth person here get severy depressed at least once during life time and every third person believes to burn out during career.

Hmm... kind of wandering post... but my point is: it may annoy to meet 20 years old ppl who arent all about working and taking responsibility but sometimes I feel I would wish bad for them if I wish they would be.

Hehe, its the same old argument 'it was better in my day!'..

I cant class people in age.. it doesnt work. Ill give you an example:

My 13 year old cousin is incredibly hard-working, plays tons of sport and is very funny, and still has time to be thoughtful and polite.
My 21 year old cousin is a slacker, he doesnt do much at all apart from go to the gym, he still lives at home, is arrogant and impolite.

I could do these comparisons all day long. In an 8 year gap, you'd expect maturity to rise, right? Because I can tell you, that 21 Yo cousin at 13 was just as hardworking as the current 13 yo cousin.

I think, Faust, that comparing hardworkingness is different nowadays. Sure, it was hard work on the farm when you were young. But kids nowadays, they have the chance to work hard at school instead. Aspirations have changed - some people now want to go to uni, stay there 8 years and get a PhD. The same people 20 years ago would leave school at 18 and go get a job.

What you class as hardworkingness may be different in someone else's opinion ;)

Hmm, I would say that age has nothing to do with it. I think it is upbringing and experience thatshape us.

When it comes to school vs work I say that it is quite a big difference! In school you only have yourself to think about. Yes ofc it is hard work if you want to succeed but still it is an ego trip with great freedom. At the labour market someone else depends on your efforts. Without the
effort to try to get along with people and a humble aproach you'r out in the cold (or become a hated head of the department)

I am 44. I did work every summer since I was 14. After senior level of compulsory schoolI start working just for pick up the studies a few years later. All I can say is that i really thinkthe years of labour did help a lot when it comes to understanding, respect and humility.

It does, however, also influence me in a bad way since I have little patience and indulgence for snotty, spoiled bullys...and they come in all ages, genders, races and tastes. :rolleyes:

Everman said:
When it comes to school vs work I say that it is quite a big difference! In school you only have yourself to think about. Yes ofc it is hard work if you want to succeed but still it is an ego trip with great freedom. At the labour market someone else depends on your efforts. Without the
effort to try to get along with people and a humble aproach you'r out in the cold (or become a hated head of the department)

Isnt true with all jobs or studying places. :rolleyes:

I have seen many ppl in work where they dont really care how good quality their work is. Or who dont really work in teams.

And on other hand studying can mean lots of team works and projects where you have to work in team (and you fail or pass the course as a team).

Sorry but basically its quite annoying when everyone who have taken "work course" always think working is somehow more important or whatever than studying. (And same time they forget that many who study either work same time or take a loan which they have to pay by working more later).

Well..Faustian..all I can say is "Age and Treachery will always overcome youth and skill..."

I agree that todays youth have a different mind set when it comes to acheiving goals in real life. But every generation has had its share of "slackers".

Its just that the present one has more options than previous ones.

me thinks: we are all gonna DIEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

rofl

hand a beer to faust as i just turned 30 recently

.. and if i would ask my grandaunt who is 80+

...she would think we are all young hoopers that dont know sh*t :p

I think there are two things that really makes you more "mature":
  • Living alone - taking responsibility of yourself.
  • Living in relationship.

After those two your point of view usually differs a lot from kids living at home - no matter what your age or occupation is.

Essi said:

After those two your point of view usually differs a lot from kids living at home - no matter what your age or occupation is.

Living alone makes for very strange people...

il said:
.. and if i would ask my grandaunt who is 80+

...she would think we are all young hoopers that dont know sh*t :p

lol...my Grandmother just turned 98. And yeah..she'd say the same thing. Except minus the asterisks...lol

Hmm Im just 18 :D so fresh and so clean, clean X) hmnf.

No but seriously. I started working when I was 12 aswell, tho it was half a year before I was acctually allowed to work (you have to be 13 to work here)

Since then Ive been working every other weekend and every summer and other holidays in our family's toyshop uptil recently when I cant, and Im sure you've all gotten why by now so Im not gonna look all whiney and post it again mmkay?
In spite of what people was thinking back then, I wasnt a spoiled brat just because my stepdaddy owned a toystore. We saved up for all those long fancy vacations we had, instead of waisting it all on new expencive stuff everytime there was something new, and fixing whatever old we had instead of buying new stuff.
To this day we still dont have a dvdplayer, but a VCR and we have the same TV now that we had 15 years ago.
I moved out when I was 16 to go to school, and Ive stayed out. Now Im living with my boyfriend in a small apartment in the same city I moved to go to school.

And guess what? This is a story of MY life,not some kid born in the 50's ;) :laugh:

Everman:
I quit school just now for personal reasons. I could have stayed if I had chosen another class then what I did. My class was Media and Communication, it involves alot of projects and therefore teamwork. If I had stayed in school, but stayed home sick very often it would effect the whole group and project.
So instead I quit, and now Im waiting to get better so I can get back to that class. I really want that education.

Essi said:

Agreed... and one more little thing... having a child. It changes your life completely in every way

btw- no! I'm not saying every1 should have a child! hehe :laugh:

Kalashi said:
Living alone makes for very strange people...

Wow! that's harsh!! ;)

The opposite could be said!, that living with someone in a long term relationship takes away self identity after a while, making for unfulfilled (and very strange to outsiders!) people.

Chin up Faustian, as you point out, in your thirties you stop giving a shit - and that's not necessarily a bad thing ;)

Svetlana said:
Agreed... and one more little thing... having a child. It changes your life completely in every way

btw- no! I'm not saying every1 should have a child! hehe :laugh:

I add it to my list when I know more about it ;)

Currenly: babies = :scared:

Alot of good posts... thanks guys.
All I take into consideration :D
Some times one just get a notion in there head and it seems that talking to others works it all out.
I will continue working this out.... hopefully well into my very old age.
Perhaps one day I'll figure it all out and write book and become uber rich and you all can say you contributed to it :silly2:

Damn a tear almost came out! PKPK :sniper: :handgun: :cool:

Faustian said:
Perhaps one day I'll figure it all out and write book and become uber rich and you all can say you contributed to it :silly2:

Id rather sue you and get peds! :D

Back