The Path of the Blade

Shish said:
hi

first thanks for the great guid.

i seen your note ion the article:

what is the best weapon for a newbi today?

thanks

Shai

Well, it seems that you have read the "sticky version" of the guide which is a copy-paste of the guide as it was the day I posted it for the first time. After that I have updated the guide in this thread, but the changes aren't updated to the sticky version automatically, so that note was added to the sticky thread by MindBuster (and I can't manually edit it because stickies are locked). So the more up to date info can be found in THIS thread (note: there might be some points that need updating, mostly some prices, but I just don't have the time to thoroughly check everything atm, my studies are killing me). In addition to the guide, I could say that the new TT melee weapons might work for a complete newbie and they have the skill bonus. Although the TT sword is a bit slow, so it's not very good against anything bigger than exarosaur, combibo or daikiba (maturities young - old).

Thanks!

Thank you very much for the guide. I've never liked the idea of using ranged weapons much, and was happy to have stumbled across your guide. I plan to put it to good use.
+rep, and I love the choice of forum avatar... :D

Great article, many thanks. Have put it to my link list and +rep for you :D.

When does it become Profitable?

Thanks for the guide Sendaran! Wish I read this before starting. +Rep to you. :)

One question... at what point does melee fighting turn profitable or at least become self-sustaining? I started with a 100 PED deposit and quickly used it repairing equipment. Got about 500 LB skill out of it (plus an Opollo and all the noob mining equipment and blueprints, etc.) Blade-hunting eventually does become self-sustaining, correct? Thanks.

Last edited:
Mister-E said:
One question... at what point does melee fighting turn profitable or at least become self-sustaining? I started with a 100 PED deposit and quickly used it repairing equipment. Got about 500 LB skill out of it (plus an Opollo and all the noob mining equipment and blueprints, etc.) Blade-hunting eventually does become self-sustaining, correct? Thanks.

There is no way to answer such a question and be 100% certain about it. Luck, personal experience, knowledge and patience have also a big impact on your efficiency, it's not all skills. And it also depends on the scale at which you hunt: TT blade - not gonna happen, the speed and base economy aren't high enough, and since there are no melee amps, there's nothing you can do to impove them; limited (L) blades (nano katanas/dai-katanas) - availability is very poor atm, but if you could get them regularly at near tt price, you might be able to profit on a regular basis after maxing the stats (a few k LB), but chances for meeting all those conditions are kinda slim; regular katanas - well, you need 10k AVERAGE in your longblade related skills to max them, so...

Don't expect to start profiting REGULARLY without luck AND knowledge anytime soon (months/years) with ANY kind of weaponry, melee or ranged. But it IS possible to make profit, eventually. But don't quit your dayjob. :)

After testing...

Ok, before I speak, you should know the following:

1. I've been playing for only a few months; enough to get the "customer service" survey mail, but not enough to have gotten 'serious skills' in anything until recently. By 'serious skills', I mean any skill at all over 1k. My first 1k plus skill was longblade.

2. I've followed this guide, with some alterations, starting at near 0 in most skills. So when I'm speaking here, it's not just random - I've experienced the guide as it is in this thread as well as the sticky.

3. As for a timeline: two and a half weeks of hard skilling (8 hours a day, with some days missed), and I got from almost no skill at all to 2k in longblade. So there's a rough timeline.

4. Starting with 300 ped won't do it. Because the 1x0's are utterly useless now (don't get them, don't even -bother-, the 100 ped I lost on those makes me cry), the price on the axes to start has gone up. Thus, the initial investment has gone up.

My advice:

Start with Pixie armor, which will run you about tt+6 for the set if you're unlucky. If someone tries to sell you Pixie for more than tt+1 per piece, they're taking advantage of your newness - I wish we had an ignore list, I'd have several people already on it for taking advantage of newbs in various ways, and that's one of them.

Start also with 2x0 axes - 10 of them! You can pay up to tt+4 or so for each axe, which will (with repairs making sure they're full) run you about 320 ped for axes alone. Don't be intimidated by that number, as easy as it is. With 10 axes, you'll be able to hunt for a number of hours at a time without going back into town - that'll be worth the effort. If the number is altogether too high for you, swap out the work on exas and combibos below, and go hunt berycleds instead. They're the ones that drop the axes. Just be aware that only the big berys drop the axes, and that only rarely (maybe one every couple of days if you're hunting constantly), so don't count on that as a way to get all of your axes. :)

Just to reiterate and ram it home, the 1x0 axes are terrible. Don't even bother with them. This is probably from whatever VU they changed them in, but they're just not worth the effort. I bought them, I wasted money. Bleh. Buy the 2x0's right off the bat, and don't waste your ped on the 1x0's. The 2x0's last a lot longer, and are significantly more efficient ped/damage wise than the 1x0's are, even with pitiable skills.

Stick with the 2x0's for as long as you can. I went through the weapon charts on pe-wiki carefully. 2x0's are the most efficient melee weapon, damage/ped, in the entirety of EU right now. They're more efficient than any other blade, hands down. Now, at stronger mobs, with more hitpoints, you will need the damage and will have to live with the cost of less efficient but higher-damage weapons. But in the beginning, the 2x0 is definitely the way to go.

Set aside some money (or buy them now if you can find them for a good price) for 2a plates for the armor. They'll run you about 17-18 ped each at a decent price, and you'll need 6 of them.

You'll want better than a fap-5 also. Get a fap-5 and skill up on it for a bit, maybe team up with a sweating buddy and 'tank' the exas and combibos near PA for a while. Then get a fap-50 as soon as you can use it, and go sit in an acid bath and heal yourself. Come out of the acid if it hurts too much and you can't keep up, then go back in once you're full hp. Spend a bunch of fully repaired kits this way, until the fap-50 gives you 10-15 hp regularly on a heal. You don't have to max it, just make it more efficient. You'll thank me for that later. Also, the fap-50 is significantly more ped-efficient than the lower faps, which will be very useful. And when taking on 8-10 cornundacaudas, you'll be glad you can keep up! :p

All told, you should start with 800 ped, not 300. This will leave you a buffer for repairs above the armor, fap, and preparations (you will NOT make a profit or even break even, and the money WILL be needed, even if you sell all of your loot to other players instead of tt). You'll be scrimping and saving the whole time, but that _should_ get you through to about 2000 or 2500 longblade skill in a few weeks, if you work at it - even with loot being the way it's been lately. (Please note, if you're not poor in rl like I am, you'll be able to just deposit a little when things get tight. I'm coming from the perspective of someone who eats rice and vitamins because it's cheaper than meat and veggies, so... :) ).

Don't bother with rascal yet.

I hunt atrax youngs (and even a mature sometimes), molisks up to scout, exarosaurs (even stalkers and prowlers in that land area on Ameth), as well as argonaut young and adults - in Pixie, with 2a plates. That's without breathing hard. Berycled Guardians and Providers and Atraxes of various small sizes give me trouble if they gang up on me, but argo young I've taken 8 at a time, even with one or two of them being adults. The difference between 15 ped for a days' repairs and 30 ped adds up fast, and when you're young, every ped counts! So leave the rascal til you need it, til you're hunting bigger things than you will here.

Ok. Once you have your axes, fap, and healing skills, and are wearing your armor, don't go straight for cornundacaudas or anything. Seriously, go east and south from PA. Go hunt Exarosaurs and Combibos in the grassy areas out there, where they spawn in huge herds. The money isn't great per kill, but it does add up, and you'll get some minor goblin bits while you hunt there. That'll be really handy later. Also, you can down each one in a few swings - and you gain skills as you kill things. Success breeds success. You'll get more skill from exas and combibos than from corns, at first, because each death of a monster 'rolls a die' so to speak, to give you more skills in whatever you're using.

Save your leathers, skins, etc - sell them to players in lumps of 500 or more (1k if you can get that many). Players pay well for larger numbers, and as a new player trying to survive with melee, it helps.

Lootius (the god of gaming loot) seems to like dedication. Don't buy a tt gun and ammo. Go out with your axes, dedicate yourself to them. When you do repairs, take the plates out (don't forget that step or it won't repair), repair your armor and fap first, then repair every axe you can. You'll find yourself not able to repair them all pretty often, but every time it gets desperate and you have almost nothing left, you'll find you have enough to sell to keep you going for another day or so. By 2k skill or 2500, you may be down to 3 living axes (I am!), but you'll have gotten somewhere.

I'm also a bit of an exception, in that I can't deposit due to rl lack of money - so you may have an easier time if you can afford 10 or 20 bucks here or there. All I have is time, so I've been making do with what I could. :)

I hope this helps - it's all I could think of on no sleep at this hour of the morning, but at least it updates and gives the perspective of someone new who tried it all as laid out. :)

Hi,

Sever, ++rep for this!

Some things I'd like to add: As for myself I prefer Combat Enblade 4-M over 2x0. I know the values from PEWiki, but I find me killing faster using this sword. It has good durability, too, and I couldn't find some significant differences in economy. I can hunt young atrax with it with much more chance of surviving then using my 2x0's ;-))

Further, I love my Survival Enblade A! Not only it's a nice finisher, it's a very good tool to hunt if PED's are low, too. I know, 2x0 should have better economy. But with my thrusty pocket knife I know to be able to do my snable poking for a good time longer (until given amount of PED's runs dry for repair ...)!

3rd, Armor. I love my Goblin. I know that Pixie should be some more economical. But I love to hunt higher maturities of snables - often they give a very nice ROI! Goblin and pocket knife rules here.

Well, not to criticise your post - just adding some thoughs. There are many ways to reach ones goal, and mileages may vary.

Happy hunting!

Hi Sever, nice addon to this + rep.

things have changed lots what comes to axes, your post made me really curious about a 2x0, so i think i could try and see how is it hunt with it :)

~Nea 6.4k LB / 4.0 HA in June 06

2x0 is good nea, not near the former 1x0 though :(

Hmm, I had doubts when reading Sever's post about 2x - though I'll give it a whirl. See thread "Am I skilled enough for this weapon?" - particularly AkiranBlade's posts. I think you may be experiencing the situation described by Doer on the same thread. So maybe you had a stash of 2x axes you wanted to sell ;)

I disagree with the idea of using anything other than a fap5, unless ur talking about mob pile-ups, then a 50 is great. I'll heal 75/85% of the time max from a fap5, and 80/85% max for fap50. Why so much concern over armour? Save the decay and earn a para professional standing...

Please don't think I'm trying to come down hard, I love long posts and it's provided me with food for thought.

Anyway due to your post I put self respect in a draw, and wore my coat of lag patience to PA. Where I made a 103 ped global in under 10mins :silly2:

Commodore said:
Hmm, I had doubts when reading Sever's post about 2x - though I'll give it a whirl. See thread "Am I skilled enough for this weapon?" - particularly AkiranBlade's posts.

I'll read through them. I've had good returns with my 2x0 axes, even if the crit/hit numbers are a little lower than the 1x0's - I hit 2500 longblade this morning, in fact, and while nothing pays for itself in repairs for me, it's been fun...

I think you may be experiencing the situation described by Doer on the same thread. So maybe you had a stash of 2x axes you wanted to sell ;)

Nope. Those axes are _mine_. I sold my 1x0's though. :) I carry 13 2x0's, and will not sell them for any price (well, unless someone buys one for enough that I could buy 3-5 afterward, which would be stupid of them and I'd probably tell them that. :p ).

I disagree with the idea of using anything other than a fap5, unless ur talking about mob pile-ups, then a 50 is great. I'll heal 75/85% of the time max from a fap5, and 80/85% max for fap50.

I usually don't heal at all unless I'm under 30% hp. The fap-50 helps then! :D

Normally I just let it happen, as long as I'm not in danger of dying. Doesn't waste fap, and amuses me. I've no idea how the economy is on it, if I'm saving or losing money, but I think it's funny anyway. :)

Why so much concern over armour? Save the decay and earn a para professional standing...

Forgive my ignorance, but a wha? "para professional standing"...? Do you mean go without armor or something? Or ... paramedic maybe? *confused*

Please don't think I'm trying to come down hard, I love long posts and it's provided me with food for thought.

I don't mind discussion! It helps, the more people talk to me, the more I learn.

para professional.

he means paramedic professional standing.

the FAP5 is the most economical FAP in the game (I exclude the modified one) and obtainable by anyone. it's good for healing when you're not being chewed upon. the FAP50 is a common economical emergency combat FAP.

having some first aid skill is handy.

now, running about axing things without armour is useful as well. armour decay can made a serious dent in you personal economy. as for the 2x0 axes, I know exactly what you mean. I always carry three of them and they are my primary weapon.

Armor decay

kira-red said:
he means paramedic professional standing.

Ah. More fap skill than I have! :D

now, running about axing things without armour is useful as well. armour decay can made a serious dent in you personal economy.

That's why I'm using pixie with 2a's when I need only a bit of protection (cornundacauda mature and olds hit for 1.0 with that). I went out for 3 hours today and came back with a 50 pec repair bill on my armor.

It's the axe repairs that kill me - 28 ped almost, per axe. Ouch. Those cause problems, as I don't global often (even argos, I watch people global over and over on argo young and I never get those, argos pay out 1.5 ped max for me most of the time).

I wish there were plates for axes! :D

I'd pay good investment money to not have to kill my money completely on repairs to the axes. :)

it would seem that there is much more you can optimize.

the 2x0 axe is likely the most economical melee weapon available.

your only other option, it would seem, would be to find a creature with better returns. the hard question that there are many opinions over and few answers.

Sever said:
Then get a fap-50 as soon as you can use it, and go sit in an acid bath and heal yourself. Come out of the acid if it hurts too much and you

Instead of the acid lake bath I would recommend to stand in front of some Exo or Snable - that way you get some Evade Skills too!

Sendaran or anyone else. Can you make "The Path of the bullet?
Where you make the same guide but with guns instead of melee weapons.

Nice guide send. As a shortblade user you have given me the help I need to be powerful!

I just started playing again and I found this guide very helpful +rep, as of now i'm trying get my hands on some 2x0 axes and get rid of my 1x0 axes(they used to be economical)

Thanks Sendaran and Sever :D

Last edited:
Why exactly is the 1.0 so un-eco these days ?

Sorry if this is a daft question but I carry an 1.0 (as well as the tt-blade) with me and use it for fun (0.3k skill in LB, lol) when I get bored of my rifle

thanks
ILW

Why exactly is the 1.0 so un-eco these days ?

Sorry if this is a daft question but I carry an 1.0 (as well as the tt-blade) with me and use it for fun (0.3k skill in LB, lol) when I get bored of my rifle

thanks
ILW

atm the 1x0 does 24 damage with 5.6 decay, therefore eco 4.29
2x0 does 36 dam, with 8.2 if I'm not mistaken, eco 4.39

back the in the days (when i started btw), the 1x0 did 29 dam (+5 electric)
with the same decay, 5.17 eco or so

after some time it was changed by MA, since the damage (electric with an axe???) was "bugged", read, far too eco for that price
quite funny is just the fact that it was designed with the 5 electric

pretty the same happenend lately too btw, with a little amp change ;)
seems the tt weapons became too eco :rolleyes:

fantastic post
rep given
and a bloody good read:)

Good sTORY Ty for your time + Rep ofc

Hi,
It's the axe repairs that kill me - 28 ped almost, per axe. Ouch.
Some time has passed since this, and I'm using the 2x0's as main weapons now, too. Repair is quite a factor, true!

But - I got my hands on some Katsuichi Honor's and a Determination meanwhile, and, OMG, these beautys have repair bills! You'll be happy to see the 28 PED of an axe, one day ;-))

On the other hand we don't need no ammo. I did some skilling in rifle because I wanted to hit better with my tag gun (FF SGM 2200M); I did with FF, A&P Brave ME and Opalo, all with a103 (before amp patch) and now I know: Ammo and decay easily reaches the same dimension of costs.

So the main problem seems to be to find a mob that gives enough return - costs are horrible, whatever weapon you use!

Another point:
I'm well over 3K Longblades now (+ over 2K in Shortblades), and the 2x0 still gives only 10.3 of 18 min. damage - this weapon really needs quite some skill ...

Have fun!

hey

hey.

i am skilling on melee weapons atm.
for begin i used a the TT longblade, and skilled it a bit up. then i took a 2x0 axes because i read that they have best eco.

BUT under around 1k LB skill (or other important skill in melee weapons) i think the 2x0 not better than the TT longblade, because the 2x0 axes need to much skill, which is not availible in the begin.

SO ... what's better to start, TT LONGBLADE or 2x0

(i have around 600 LB skill atm)

hey.

i am skilling on melee weapons atm.
for begin i used a the TT longblade, and skilled it a bit up. then i took a 2x0 axes because i read that they have best eco.

BUT under around 1k LB skill (or other important skill in melee weapons) i think the 2x0 not better than the TT longblade, because the 2x0 axes need to much skill, which is not availible in the begin.

SO ... what's better to start, TT LONGBLADE or 2x0

(i have around 600 LB skill atm)

Take a look at the first post on page 4 of this thread where I answered a similar question.

In addition, keep an eye on the auction for low level limited weapons, some of them might fit your skill level (maxed or close, hit ability 8+ would be recommended), but don't pay huge markups. The main problem with TT and L melee weapons is speed, which is especially true for longblades. They may force you to wear heavier armor, because you might not be able to switch to a fap fast enough in a tight situation.

is this guide still a good guide for new hackers?

is this guide still a good guide for new hackers?

Short version: No, not really.

Not since the introduction of (L) items and different changes to armor and armor plate decay (and possibly the introduction of armor plates even, not sure when they came ingame). Also of course most of the prices mentioned are utterly wrong (but they were accurate and this was great guide at the time :)).

Reviving posts from the dead kills kids.....
;)

Back