The Planet Calypso Story - Your Opinion

What do you think of Planet Calypso's back-story

• I love the back-story, and I think it adds value to the game

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I like the back-story, but don't think it adds any value to the game

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • My opinion of the story is neutral, and I couldn't care less

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • My opinion of the story is neutral, and I think it's a waste of developer's time

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Having a back-story is good, but Calypso's is over-complicated

• I dislike the fact there is a back-story, it adds nothing to the game and over-complicates things

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Other (Please post a reply to explain)

• Total voters

Stutoman

Prowler
Society
Freelancer
Dan Richard Baker
I want to know your opinions. Do you follow the story of Planet Calypso, or do you not really give a toss about it and just play for the game?

Do you like the back story, or do you think it's just there to cover otherwise unexplainable changes to the game?

The back-story of Calypso is inconsistent, scattered, and in my opinion not very well known. It is an important factor for games to set a good setting much like books and movies do. The stronger the story is, the more involved people get with the lore. I feel that Calypso should have a great story by now, but the only thing I know about it is kill robots and slaughter migrating mobs.

. I feel that Calypso should have a great story by now, but the only thing I know about it is kill robots and slaughter migrating mobs.

I miss the "veterans tale" dude at Cape Corinth bar.

The back story of Calypso starts well as colonists on a hostile world, encountering savage beasts and robot attacks...but it hasn't progressed in 10 years. Every year the robots attack, CDF defeat them, same shit different year. The robot story needs to develop further, be it huge waves of bots attacking 1000s of CDF troops, space battles, you can join the battle field. Missions during attacks, seek certain items, build new defences. Have huge bombs go off, make it real! Grinding 1000 Steelbirds each year no longer is that exciting. Gee looking forward to migration soon, 1000 longtooth...yay!

Calypso has a story?

I mean, one which can be followed from interacting with the game NPCs?

There are a couple NPCs up PA tower, giving a hint towards ongoing conflict with the robots. Too hard a mission for the new players up to low medium players.

There is the Prophet chain of mission which might be broken atm and also, not for new and low level players. Not that all missions should be readily available for all levels, but at least story missions should be affordable early on, to entice the player to continue. Maybe for a grand finale on Akbal, more skill to be needed.

And then are plenty of other chain missions, more or less broken or left unfinished by the successive addition/deletion/modification of areas and such:

Fort Troy / Scylla / Osere / Cayuze
Camp Icarus / Nus Lull
Half Moon Bay

Additional ones, developed for the old token system, provide a parallel narrative leading to the Husk Spawning, but poorly linked to the original story if at all. I'm stuck at Aetherex :)

So yes, MA should look into it, put all the NPC dialogues on a big board and read them aloud, see if they make sense.

The original backstory (why and how we started colonizing Calypso. Why we're battling bots, etc.) was great and I love it.

Post VU-10 additions to the backstory, which is mainly just the dialogue added to mission brokers to give a small reason to do them, really haven't added anything meaningful. Mostly because they are so disjointed, disconnected from the original backstory, etc.

EDIT: Compare what the original backstory allowed players to do in terms of entertainment. See the "truth about Calypso" video created so long ago by Dub & McCormick. Or my "Operation General's Beacon" and other events. I can't comfortably say that the recent additions to the backstory allow us to have this kind of "in the story" entertainment.

Last edited:
The only time I care about the back story is when the missions don't create a WP or otherwise force me to read all those stupid words.

The original backstory (why and how we started colonizing Calypso. Why we're battling bots, etc.) was great and I love it.

This. I think we've never returned to Calypso after Typhon attack, we're still in anabiosis at Exodus SS, and AI keeps replaying to our brains the same worn out dreams - robots, migration, mayhem, robots, migration, mayhem...

This. I think we've never returned to Calypso after Typhon attack, we're still in anabiosis at Exodus SS, and AI keeps replaying to our brains the same worn out dreams - robots, migration, mayhem, robots, migration, mayhem...

Svarog, the matrix has you.

RIP Calypso backstory. It has been so horribly abused, misused, neglected and confused through the incoherent mission and event offerings that i doubt anyone starting these days even knows it. It's too bad, too... it was a great setting and provided a lot of possibility for additional development and progressing through new "history".

I quite like the back story. It's one of the elements that attracted me to the game in the first place.

Having said that I think more can be done to develop in game assets, missions, relics etc associated to the story that add value and intrigue to the game.

I think the Calypso development team need to take a leaf out of Arkadias book. Ark has a great back story which is being continually developed and offers hints and suggestions to upcoming changes in the next VU. Ask an Arkadian what the back story is and I bet most will speil off about the ancient Arkadians , the Oratan, and the IFN. I am originally Calypsonian but as previously mentioned I know about the bot invasions and the migration, As regards Mayhem, that appears to have nothing to do with the Calypso back story, and the back story offers nothing to the current state of the game on that planet. The Ark back story makes sense, we know about the Oratan threat and we are left wondering if they really are the enemy which is great for having a bit of speculation in the storyline. The new VU supports the back story even further as now in the underground we have the Oratan City which give creedance to the reason why they keep appearing periodically to attack and where they actually come from. Take the Oratan Miner locations, they are mines in the ground from which the Oratans come, they are never far from their mine entrances, why, well they come from underground.

I am proud of being Calypsonian but increasingly spend less and less time there.

I want to know your opinions. Do you follow the story of Planet Calypso, or do you not really give a toss about it and just play for the game?

Do you like the back story, or do you think it's just there to cover otherwise unexplainable changes to the game?

I know nothing of the story and really don't give a fig. I just play to play and enjoy myself.

Back